Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I think it's going to be one of those surprisingly decent movies that nobody expected to have good reception (like Dora, Angry Birds 2, Teen Titans GO! To The Movies, Peter Rabbit) though after reading this thread for a while, I think general audiences will enjoy it more than Sonic fans (but Sonic fans will probably still see it out of curiosity). As a Boom fan, it just seems like this community is too stuck in the "it's different, therefore it's bad" mentality. I hear people say they hate Sonic Boom because they redesigned the characters and gave them different characteristics as a spin off series, completely ignoring some of its genuinely good satire, witty moments, and meta references to the games, film, and the video game community as a whole. If this movie has any quality to it on its own, NOT JUST as a Sonic movie, but as a film itself (like its comedy or action or character development or something) fans will still complain about something like the fact that it's live action or that there's humans or that Sonic is with a cop or something. I'm not saying the movie will indeed be good or bad, I'm just saying people will complain regardless.

5 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Now the design is fixed I don't know what the problem is.

478 pages, you still don't know? I'm surprised.

5 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Lol there has been so much garbage from Sonic over the years.  

Indeed there was. But people wouldn't settle for crap if they didn't like Sonic. Most of the stuff we see people criticize aren't pet peeves or nit-picking or "complaining for the sake of complaining", like some folks like to put. Basically everything Paramount has showed looked unquestionably bad, Sonic's design was just ONE of these things, arguibly a pretty BIG one. It's a miracle that the studio actually heard these people (although I still have my doubts if all this circus wasn't a huge marketing act).

Changing Sonic's design is just one step. Detective Pikachu had a good design, closer to what people imagined it (well... Except Mr. Mime...) All the rest was mediocre and forgettable. Heck, even Venom looked cool. But was the movie good? Did it had good writing and acting? Heck no. The Lion King looked fucking nearly perfect. But the movie lacked soul. It's not good. 

Trust me, it's much, muuuuch beyond a design, pal. Oh, well, at least people can now say: "-Well, this looks like Sonic". But does it feels like Sonic? I doubt.

There are more issues with the movie. List those issues then? I just don't think they are big enough to leave everyone disgusted.

I think the only way those could be fixed is via reshoots but I doubt they'd bother asking Jim Carrey to go back to filming because fans are complaining. :P Although the thought of it is hilarious.

Nah, I think we are okay with the humor and plot so far, as I said I'm intrigued by the origin story concept, and the humor may or may not be ok, although there aren't any trash type jokes apparently.

I'm also in the team that believes it was a Conspiracy to deliberately release the shitty design and get people's attention to watch the final film.

Oh right, apparently those who watched the test screenings really enjoyed it, so… this is why I doubt they tried to fix the rest of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, didn't that Dreamcast guy (who people thought was bullshitting but turned out to be correct) leaked the plot saying that Sonic is an alien and was raised by an owl in this movie?

I mean, there's also that.

And Sonic flossing. Don't forget.

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

How many times are people going to have to list the issues? For fucks sake, this happens on virtually every page. The jokes in the trailer were bad, the plot is cliché and totally unrelated to anything "Sonic" in the past, Robotnik is a mad scientist who looks and behaves nothing like Robotnik from the games, Jim Carrey is playing a very phoned in and generic "Jim Carrey villain" role, gottagofast, it's about Sonic and a random cop instead of the vast array of characters it could have used to varying degrees, it's an incredibly tone deaf film... I'm missing a lot out here and can't tell you enough just to read this thread to  get a better picture. If you don't know what the issues are, you're choosing to be obstinate.

The issues are subjective. You might not find a problem with them. You might even like them! Congratulations - you have found an opinion. Another opinion is that the original a Sonic design was ugly and needed to be changed. It's a widely held opinion, but an opinion and therefore subjective nonetheless. A big problem right now is that some people are allowing Sonic's design to cloud their judgement of the entire film.

When the bar is set as low as it was by the first trailer with the awful Sonic design, anything that's marginally improved is prone to being mistaken for good, when in reality it's simply just a little less shit. And then there are the people who seem to think that the film deserves our time, money and respect because they fixed a problem that they were stupid enough to create in the place.

FWIW, I think that Sonic now looks fine. I need to get a better look at his face, body proportions and movements, but it seems like they've come up with decent enough design for a 'realistic' Sonic in a live action film. Realistic Sonic and live action film are problems in and of themselves, but if those are the cards that are being dealt them then hand could be worse. 

You really expected it to be like the games? It's called adaptation for a reason, with a unique story of course. Jim Carrey playing himself is probably a strenght, yeah, because it's what people enjoy.

Most of these issues are simply "not my Sonic" and "ew live action". It's not like I have a problem with that, it's your opinion, I should respect that, I'm sick of defending this movie just because I'm open minded, but if you guys can dissect everything about the movie, I sure can dissect the complaints and critiques.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tangled Jack said:

You really expected it to be like the games? It's called adaptation for a reason, with a unique story of course. Jim Carrey playing himself is probably a strenght, yeah, because it's what people enjoy.

Most of these issues are simply "not my Sonic" and "ew live action". It's not like I have a problem with that, it's your opinion, I should respect that, I'm sick of defending this movie just because I'm open minded, but if you guys can dissect everything about the movie, I sure can dissect the complaints and critiques.

So you're saying that if the studio come up with a movie about a genetic mutated mouse tinted in blue called "Sonic" you would swallow because you're "open minded"? lol Okay.

I don't know which opinion could be more relevant than Naoto Oshima's, you know, the guy who created Sonic in 1991 and stated that he's a cartoon character like Mickey Mouse and should be treated as such. Going back to Sonic Boom, different designs aside, the series at least understood that Sonic is a cartoon.

Your mentality of "anything goes by because it's an adaptation" and "this is YOUR opinion" is really shallow, to say the least. You're not "defending" the movie by any means doing that.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Also, didn't that Dreamcast guy (who people thought was bullshitting but turned out to be correct) leaked the plot saying that Sonic is an alien and was raised by an owl in this movie?

I mean, there's also that.

And Sonic flossing. Don't forget.

Sonic being an alien isn't really my preferred interpetation of Sonic, (i'd rather him just live on Earth like in Sonic Adventure, but whatever) but it's not unfaithful to the source material to say Sonic is an alien. Sonic X had Sonic come from another world, and according to Iizuka, there is two worlds in Sonic canon. A human one and a Sonic one, so Sonic being an alien in this movie isn't technically wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

The issues run much deeper than "not my Sonic", and it's not a matter of being open-minded either. Just accept that people think differently about the film and move on. You don't need to dissect their complaints and critiques. 

• Thumbs Up 4

23 hours ago, Jango said:

That's what I'm saying! The fact that didn't got the SHOES right on the first time is... fuck, you know what? Maybe I am wrong. Wrong for expecting a Sonic movie made by a Hollywood studio to be more than passable. I've wasted too much words on this thread already.

According to the two test screeners on Reddit (one confirmed legit as he predicted things we later saw in the trailer like rings being portals and Robotnik wearing all black)

Sonic was ALWAYS supposed to get game accurate shoes (along with gloves) later on in the movie. Regardless of the redesign we were always going to get Sonic in his video game shoes and gloves. The Redditor mentioned it was part of Sonic's character development. (Notice the pile of taped-up shoes in the trailer? Sonic probably goes through several pairs)

This actually concerns me: did they cut scenes from the movie to accomodate the redesign?

• Thumbs Up 1

New trailer needs to get here asap just so these rehashed arguments have some fresh material to work with.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Absolutely 1
  • Too Many Rings 2

On 10/27/2019 at 8:33 AM, Jango said:

That's what I'm saying! The fact that didn't got the SHOES right on the first time is... fuck, you know what? Maybe I am wrong. Wrong for expecting a Sonic movie made by a Hollywood studio to be more than passable. I've wasted too much words on this thread already.

They had a deal with Puma. Sonic's shoes were meant to be custom version of their brand. 

On 10/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, Jango said:

Maybe I am wrong. Wrong for expecting a Sonic movie made by a Hollywood studio to be more than passable.

You've never really expressed that you ever did really.

16 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They had a deal with Puma. Sonic's shoes were meant to be custom version of their brand. 

He might not have known that.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

That doesn't explain anything though. Puma and the studio could have agreed on a more faithful interpretation of Sonic's shoes or... now hear me out on this cause it's a really wild idea... maybe they could have foregone the licensing agreement on Sonic's shoes if it meant that they had to forgo on of the most iconic pieces of clothing in video game history? Literally all they had to do to make his shoes look recognisable in the original design was add in the white stripe.

But for some bizarre reason, they thought this was better:

Sonic-Movie.jpg

Fortunately someone managed to convince them early on to give him socks, but it wasn't enough and the new shoe design looks so much better in every way. 

Also, I'm going to be really surprised if the shoes that he wears now aren't Pumas. This is Sonic the fucking Hedgehog. Licensed recreations on his shoes would still brilliantly, especially when a movie is involved.

2 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Ju4pPKX.gif

Also, I didn't expect this movie to resemble the games. That was obvious the moment we found out about it and it being live-action. That doesn't mean I won't call it out for hardly resembling the thing it's supposed to be adapting.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Imagine adverts and posters for Spiderman having pictures of Toby Maguire/Tom Holland in general high school fashion clothes instead of the Spiderman outfit.

"Well, he's supposed to get the iconic costume eventually in the movie!"

I don't buy that Sonic was going to get his traditional kicks in this film. They had the idea that a blue, eldritchain, body-horror alien was going to suffice. Why would they bother getting the shoes right?

• Thumbs Up 9

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

That doesn't explain anything though. Puma and the studio could have agreed on a more faithful interpretation of Sonic's shoes or... now hear me out on this cause it's a really wild idea... maybe they could have foregone the licensing agreement on Sonic's shoes if it meant that they had to forgo on of the most iconic pieces of clothing in video game history? Literally all they had to do to make his shoes look recognisable in the original design was add in the white stripe.

Sonic-Movie.jpg

Fortunately someone managed to convince them early on to give him socks, but it wasn't enough and the new shoe design looks so much better in every way. 

Also, I'm going to be really surprised if the shoes that he wears now aren't Pumas. This is Sonic the fucking Hedgehog. Licensed recreations on his shoes would still brilliantly, especially when a movie is involved.

My guess is Puma and the studio didn't want the design to be interrupted. They wanted them to be recognizable Pumas. 

I agree, shoe brand deals are an obvious brand tie in for a Sonic movie and I agree that they could have went for a more recognizable design but I understand the logic behind what we got. And if Mystic is right, Sonic would have went to a more recognizable shoe in the climax. I really like that idea too becuz it shows the writer were concerned with character development on Sonic. Something we haven't gotten on him since the Adventure series (+ Unleashed)

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Sonic-Movie.jpg

I think the most egregious thing is that they agreed on shooting things from what looks like a crotch angle. 

• Chuckle 2

15 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Imagine adverts and posters for Spiderman having pictures of Toby Maguire/Tom Holland in general high school fashion clothes instead of the Spiderman outfit.

Its not even a thing we have to imagine, we've had superhero productions that have gone in their own direction on outfits including just streetwear and only brining up the source material to crap on it including one Tom the cop on blue and yellow spandex in a previous role. (Itsallconnected.)

Personally, I thought the shoes in the trailer were close enough to the games while also being their own thing. I wish they didn't change them, but oh well.

3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Man. If only people were this open-minded about the Freedom Fighters being in the series and SatAM/Archie doing their own thing completely separate from the games. Maybe then I wouldn't have to put up with being told they're antithetical to Sonic and shouldn't be around anymore.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Boy for someone so open-minded you sure look for excuses to tell people that their opinions don't matter or are trivial.

People complaining about the movie aren't invalidating your opinion.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Absolutely 4

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Personally, I thought the shoes in the trailer were close enough to the games while also being their own thing. I wish they didn't change them, but oh well.

I think you're probably in a tiny minority on that one. Sonic's shoes are iconic, and throughout all his redesigns he's almost never been seen without them. And in the few, (mostly obscure) instances where they're changed, it's rare that they're not red with a bold white stripe. With the original movie design, they could be any random pair of shoes that you might find on the shelf at Foot Locker. Of all parts of Sonic's design that could be faithfully recreated to fit into a live action film, his gloves and shoes should have been the most straightforward.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I think you're probably in a tiny minority on that one. Sonic's shoes are iconic, and throughout all his redesigns he's almost never been seen without them. And in the few,
(mostly obscure) instances where they're changed, it's rare that they're not red with a bold white stripe. With the original movie design, they could be any random pair of shoes that you might find on the shelf at Foot Locker. Of all parts of Sonic's design that could be faithfully recreated to fit into a live action film, his gloves and shoes should have been the most straightforward.

I'm referring to his shoes in the trailer, not the posters from last December. They changed the shoes for the trailer and put a white stripe on them. 

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

The issues run much deeper than "not my Sonic", and it's not a matter of being open-minded either. Just accept that people think differently about the film and move on. You don't need to dissect their complaints and critiques. 

You are right, big key words, I really want to stop white knighting everything and create fights. I'd love to be more reasonable, I'm working on it… for now, I'll stop posting until we get that trailer.