Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

On 10/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Considering the characters themselves have always been designed to be a overly abstract art-style outside of maybe Sonic 06, it isn't strange that Sonic-Team tried to reinforce that idea for the series at some point. You know what I don't get? why certain Sonic fans desperately want the series to be realistic as if that is somehow a good match for the series, which it isn't BTW.

Looks like you are gonna have to throw out  Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well since both of those games have stages with realistic environments that, directly or indirectly, inspired many of the stages from the Adventure games, which in turn inspired 06.

205133857_Screenshot(43).png.d2f8f417dff4c2bdd0ead924aab28718.png

The problem with Lost World's art style is that it has no detail or originality. If you took Sonic's model out of the game stages like Desert Ruin and Tropical Coast would be indistinguishable from Mario levels. Even the giant caterkiller bots look the same.

Sonic has always had elements of realism that distinguished him from all the other cookie cutter platform games from his era. His design doesn't restrict what sorts of environments he can be in. Besides, its not the lack of city stages or humans that bothers me, its the bland details and lack of effort. You can still have fantastical fiction type environments and have detail. As long as its not literally just floating doughnuts in the sky that is.

I for one like this new redesign. It could do without the blue arms but honestly that feels like nitpicking given what we had to start with. That doesn't mean that the movie will be good or anything, but I am impressed that they were able to implement such a drastic change in such a short time frame. Purely because of fan feedback mind you. When was the last time Hollywood CHANGED one of their movies mid production for its fanbase?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

So people on Twitter are saying a trailer is dropping next week? Anyone heard anything about this? 

I mean, it's got to come out eventually...

• Thumbs Up 1

Is anyone else planning to go in Sonic gear to the movie? I'm buying a Sonic t-shirt and hat for opening night!

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably might not mean anything, but apparently, someone noticed that Marza like this tweet.:

Yep, can confirmed that they did actually like the tweet.:

EILxXDGWsAAiNyl.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Liking a tweet doesn't really mean anything though. Paramount handles all of the marketing materials for the film. Marza just does the animation. Even Ben Schwartz has said he doesn't know when the trailer is coming.

But I do think we will probably get it next week anyway, given it's Sonic's original release date.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Myst said:

Liking a tweet doesn't really mean anything though. Paramount handles all of the marketing materials for the film. Marza just does the animation. Even Ben Schwartz has said he doesn't know when the trailer is coming.

I would put Marza closer to Paramounts knowledge on this just because they'll at least know there's a deadline to have certain scenes finished earlier.

12 hours ago, Myst said:

Is anyone else planning to go in Sonic gear to the movie? I'm buying a Sonic t-shirt and hat for opening night!

Uniqlo recently had a line of Sonic t shirts which were very cool. You might want to check them out :)

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Myst said:

But I do think we will probably get it next week anyway, given it's Sonic's original release date.

Yea, I know, but it’s nice seening this post getting a like from them. However, I had a feeling that we might get a trailer next week.

2 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Should we start taking bets on the trailer being one that shows the whole plot in around 2-3 minutes.

Didn't the first one do that tho?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Sonic is going to spend a lot of time on Earth before he meets Tom. How does he know who The Rock is and what a ham sandwich is?

On 10/30/2019 at 5:50 PM, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

Looks like you are gonna have to throw out  Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles as well since both of those games have stages with realistic environments that, directly or indirectly, inspired many of the stages from the Adventure games, which in turn inspired 06.

You are purposely ignoring half of my post just so you can make the whole cliche rant of "But look classic Sonic had realistic environments too! (Posts random picture of the background from Starlight zone.) So see? THIS IS WHY IT WORKS!" This line of thought also ignores the front half of Starlight zone you actually play on which doesn't look like basic city buildings, plus personally I never was a fan of the background from starlight zone, I always wished the buildings were more scifi looking. I don't remember any overly realistic environments from Sonic 3&K... so I'll ignore that for now.

I also said that the art style of Sonic Lost World wasn't perfect and that I would prefer a middle ground type of art style between Lost World and Sonic Unleashed. I was only trying to get across that I prefer something artsy far over stuff like the ugly environment style from Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic 06 which looked soulless half the time. Lets not forget that your original post came off as you plainly implying the Sonic series shouldn't have a abstract art style altogether. I simply disagree with that idea and absolutely see no appeal in placing super cartoony characters into semi-real looking worlds, it looks awful to me. And for the record I generally dislike realistic styles, so you are not going to convince me it is a good fit for this series with it's abstract style cartoon characters.

PS: This is going somewhat off topic, so I won't reply any farther on this subject.

You know what, I changed my mind. I really don't think we are getting the trailer on tuesday. Mario & Sonic releases tuesday and there will be a new episode of Sonic Official where they play it. The Sonic twitter will be advertising the game (and mobile port) heavily next week since it is a Sega product. 

If a trailer came out tuesday that would conflict with the release of the new game. (I'm sure when the next trailer comes the Sonic twitter will focus on that for the day)

Paramount will probably show it with Frozen 2 to reach the widest possible audience.

I mean, it's possible they could show it thursday, but I doubt it. TrailerTrack says they haven't heard anything about a trailer yet. 

It'll happen whenever but I'm not expexcting Sega's plans and Paramount's to be particularly aligned.

Not expecting more than a re-tweet and nothing to do with us comment on stream from Sega.

Frozen 2 is the deadline for exposure but it can release prior to that fim and still get shown to the same widest possible audience.

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA/Sonic Twitter's schedules and Paramount's are not going to be particularly aligned, and I don't think it has ever been like that since the movie was first announced back in 2013 (oh.... oh wow).

It'll release when they're ready for it to release, independent of SEGA. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Here is a thing that I realized. Remember that the Fast and the Furious poster that I show you last year? This was taken from set. The set could be Sonic’s bedroom. Maybe he love watch the Fast and the Furious? Well, he love to go fast.

Would be a nice Easter egg, since the Fast and the Furious producer is working on the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it would make perfect sense if it was a Sonic movie based on Sonic 4...

Because Sonic 4's physics are as real as The Fast and the Furious... Heh.

...Old joke?

• Chuckle 1