Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

11 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

I knew it! That "AM" water mark was for AMC!

Nice! Look at Eggman hiding behind the logo.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty sure the tagline is just a joke about Sonic's speed lmao. Way better than "A New Speed Of Hero".

If it is November 12th when the trailer is releasing online, then it likely will be premiering during Playing With Fire. Paramount sometimes releases their trailers online the next Tuesday after they put it in theaters. Maybe the SpongeBob trailer is also playing during the same film and they're going to show the trailer for that on Thursday online instead of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would be nice to finally see the new design not in a awkward running pose, however from what I see it certainly looks decent! 100 times better then the old movie design.

3 minutes ago, The Famous Sonic said:

What does the AMC stand for? 

It's a movie theater chain. A big one 

Despite all the controversy surrounding this movie and that that it will probably still be ass... this is actually a really good redesign - especially compared to the first few shots we had a few months ago which were merely just acceptable.

This and the previous billboard photo leak are damn impressive showings of the lengths they went to to get this corrected. And although I think they should have done this right from the off, I gotta give credit to them for actually respecting that the fan base were right on this.

Now, That’s not always true of an outcry. The Director Jeff Fowler was trying to see his vision through and prove to us his original version of Sonic was going to work - so I think it is very humbling for him to accept defeat on the subject and completely go for a revise. From his point of view with the lead up to the trailer and the drop, it must have been a really crappy day for him. Especially as this is his first big film - I figure that probably lead to the change as well, don’t want to start your big time career role on a dud.

But yeah, this is great - blue arms and all - I personally think they did make the right artistic call on that one for what it’s worth. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This design is really, really good. I am so hyped! :D

If I was being fussy, I would still rather one eye and a bald Eggman but hey, this a is a great compromise. And I know it's Sonic and Eggman's origin story.

Hype levels at 100% now for me!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found this. He look so good!!!!

spacer.png

I love this design! I'm so glad that this is real!

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found this. He look so good!!!!

spacer.png

Tolerable. Still don't care for him being all furry. And I will never understand why is the blue arms the hill they decided to die on.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

So yeah, still doesn't look like good movie and certainly not a good Sonic movie. But Sonic himself looks decent now. You know you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel when the highest praise you can give a film is "the main character doesn't look ugly anymore".

Yeah, am I really supposed to believe a team who couldn't even get the character design right (literally the easiest part, as the design is already done, you just have to copy and paste and use it) understands or cares about the source material enough to make a good and satisfying movie that makes sense in the franchise?

Look at that, you have a live action design that actually looks good and still fairly fits with the aesthetic of the movie, so much for Sonic’s usual animated design not working in this movie, considering this is basically Sonic’s actual design with the only necessary tweaks and changes needed to make him not stick out like a sore thumb.

Still doesn’t change a lot for me, the trailer still stunk to high heaven from a story and joke perspective, so unless they completely altered the script, we’ve probably just moved up from infamously horrible to a typical brand of bad.

Still, at least Sonic looks appealing now. It’s mental to me this isn’t just the design they went with to begin with instead of the original gremlin design, but at least there’s been enough of an improvement to actually call it good and appealing...even though it’s near what the actual appealing design has been for the last twenty years and should’ve been the obvious choice to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 6

Daily reminder that this should have been the design from the start

Daily reminder that we should be mad at Paramount because they listened too late, they are our enemies

Daily reminder that the movie will still suck despite the redesign, so don't be happy

Daily reminder that no matter how we try to be excited, we just can't be, because it's a sad and shitty world, don't you know?

Spoiler

Serious mode on: This post is meant to be a harmless joke, a parody, I'm poking fun not at the opinions that are completely fine, I'm poking fun at the fact that we get constant reminders every day of how the movie will suck ultimately, and that we should not be excited even if we get good news. Amen

• Fist Bump 1

13 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I'm poking fun at the fact that we get constant reminders every day of how the movie will suck ultimately, and that we should not be excited even if we get good news. Amen

Don't worry, I'm sure the general consensus is gonna be "They fixed his design, movie's awesome now!".

2 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Don't worry, I'm sure the general consensus is gonna be "They fixed his design, movie's awesome now!".

Not saying it automatically is, obviously I want to be excited and look at the bright side for once, we got good news, I'd like to live that moment.

18 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Daily reminder that this should have been the design from the start

Daily reminder that we should be mad at Paramount because they listened too late, they are our enemies

Daily reminder that the movie will still suck despite the redesign, so don't be happy

Daily reminder that no matter how we try to be excited, we just can't be, because it's a sad and shitty world, don't you know?

Hide contents

Serious mode on: This post is meant to be a harmless joke, a parody, I'm poking fun not at the opinions that are completely fine, I'm poking fun at the fact that we get constant reminders every day of how the movie will suck ultimately, and that we should not be excited even if we get good news. Amen

Even as a parody, none of that works because at least two of your points is 100% true. Yes, this absolutely should’ve been the design to begin with, and to be frank, I’d argue that is a key point of discussion because this design shows that everyone who said this exact thing for months was correct. After so many defences of “the typical sonic design would stand out in live action” and so on, low and behold, here’s the typical design in live action and it looks good, and why does it look good? Because it’s the tried and true design that made the character iconic to begin with.

And we should be somewhat mad with Paramount for how long it took them to realise their own mistake. I can’t believe how much this needs to be stated - Paramount didn’t do this because they had a sudden change of heart and realised the error of their ways. The movie producers and Paramount had been defending the original gremlin design for months, from the initial poster leak to when the trailer released, they shifted and deflected the blame everywhere and claimed that people weren’t giving it a chance, instead of realising the actual fact that it looked butt ugly.

Paramount didn’t change it out of respect of the fans, or some other reason, they changed it because the internet made it a complete laughing stock, and even their potential target audience of older fans who fell out of the fan base and had nostalgia for it were mocking it. When people who have very little knowledge of the series is able to look and mock the hell out of it, the design is not good, and that was going to cause drops in ticket sales, and more importantly - merchandise sales.

Calling Paramount “our enemies” is an outrageous hyperbolic statement, they aren’t enemies, but they sure as hell don’t deserve tons of praise and credit for fixing something that they fucked up so massively hard to begin with, and received numerous warnings and red flags, right down to SEGA pointing out design issues, and they only changed it when they realised how heavily it was going to fuck with their profits. It’s a overall good thing the redesign happened, but let’s not even try to entertain the idea that Paramount did it out of some kind of kind gesture.

And finally, people have ever right to point out this won’t change much. The design is good, I’m sure the detractors can admit this as several  already have in this topic. But it still doesn’t alter or change the underlying issues with it, because the issues of the film are far more than simply skin deep. There’s problems at the core of its concept and design that hurts it, and pointing out that fixing one issue doesn’t automatically fix all issues is fine, that’s what a discussion topic is for after all.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Absolutely 3

5 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Not saying it automatically is, obviously I want to be excited and look at the bright side for once, we got good news, I'd like to live that moment.

The really weird thing about this being good news is that it shouldn't be good news. When SEGA announces a Sonic game, we don't expect to get excited because they didn't make him look like a freaky man-child in a fursuit. There are some things so fundamental that you can't wrap your head around them being wrong to begin with.

By all means be excited. I just don't see any reason to be when the first impression was that the film wasn't even trying to be good.

• Chuckle 3

9 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Even as a parody, none of that works because at least two of your points is 100% true. Yes, this absolutely should’ve been the design to begin with, and to be frank, I’d argue that is a key point of discussion because this design shows that everyone who said this exact thing for months was correct. After so many defences of “the typical sonic design would stand out in live action” and so on, low and behold, here’s the typical design in live action and it looks good, and why does it look good? Because it’s the tried and true design that made the character iconic to begin with.

And we should be somewhat mad with Paramount for how long it took them to realise their own mistake. I can’t believe how much this needs to be stated - Paramount didn’t do this because they had a sudden change of heart and realised the error of their ways. The movie producers and Paramount had been defending the original gremlin design for months, from the initial poster leak to when the trailer released, they shifted and deflected the blame everywhere and claimed that people weren’t giving it a chance, instead of realising the actual fact that it looked butt ugly.

Paramount didn’t change it out of respect of the fans, or some other reason, they changed it because the internet made it a complete laughing stock, and even their potential target audience of older fans who fell out of the fan base and had nostalgia for it were mocking it. When people who have very little knowledge of the series is able to look and mock the hell out of it, the design is not good, and that was going to cause drops in ticket sales, and more importantly - merchandise sales.

Calling Paramount “our enemies” is an outrageous hyperbolic statement, they aren’t enemies, but they sure as hell don’t deserve tons of praise and credit for fixing something that they fucked up so massively hard to begin with, and received numerous warnings and red flags, right down to SEGA pointing out design issues, and they only changed it when they realised how heavily it was going to fuck with their profits. It’s a overall good thing the redesign happened, but let’s not even try to entertain the idea that Paramount did it out of some kind of kind gesture.

And finally, people have ever right to point out this won’t change much. The design is good, I’m sure the detractors can admit this as several  already have in this topic. But it still doesn’t alter or change the underlying issues with it, because the issues of the film are far more than simply skin deep. There’s problems at the core of its concept and design that hurts it, and pointing out that fixing one issue doesn’t automatically fix all issues is fine, that’s what a discussion topic is for after all.

What? No, I really disagree, man. Now it's time to get serious, can you believe freaking Hollywood changed the release date, increased the budget, changed stuff from the movie (I mean, he's still supposed to get the new shoes and gloves during the story, as part of his origin thing) just to please the fans? If there is a time to show gratitude, by buying a ticket, it's this moment. It's just crazy, mindblowing to me that the power of fans complaning got to this moment… maybe, it was for the best after all by seeing the end result of the design alone, can't say for the movie because it's not out, I will judge it when it releases, it will probably not be much but at least entertaining? I dunno, still I appreciate the effort they took, every opinion about the movie itself (including mine) before the release is just a prejudice to me. Or at least, it's not judging the Whole thing, but rather a bad promotional trailer, which doesn't necessarily represent the final product.

Anyway, I still think you guys did good, without the universal complaining we would have gotten a shitty look at a generic Hollywood messy design. So yes, you made the improvement possible, but also Paramount.

• Thumbs Up 5