Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

There's so much to look forward to in this movie now that they've changed the design of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Can not wait.

Can not wait.

Can not wait.

That scene where Hedgehog boy gets shot in the leg with a tranq will be 100% funnier with this closer to standard look.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There's so much to look forward to in this movie now that they've changed the design of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Can not wait.

Can not wait.

Can not wait.

That scene where Hedgehog boy gets shot in the leg with a tranq will be 100% funnier with this closer to standard look.

100% of 0 = 0

0 funny + 0 funny = 0 funny 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

That wasn't so hard, wasn't it? Gotta give it to Paramount, Marza and Blur Studios, this looks PRETTY decent. That line (?) whatever thing between Sonic's eyes still bothers me, just get rid of it and it's gold. 

I can't let this pass tho': "-hooray, good design in a shitty movie!" XD

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

100% of 0 = 0

0 funny + 0 funny = 0 funny 

Is the new design not a +1?

At least...

Well, I tried.

42 minutes ago, Jango said:

That wasn't so hard, wasn't it? Gotta give it to Paramount, Marza and Blur Studios, this looks PRETTY decent. That line (?) whatever thing between Sonic's eyes still bothers me, just get rid of it and it's gold.

Yeah, the separation of his eyes is the part that bothers me the most. There are a few ways that they could have fixed it. The most obvious would have been to stick to the game design and keep his mono-eye, probably with two distinct eyeballs like the Smurfs:

smurfs-6.jpg

And if that really wasn't going to be an option, then they should just get rid of the write stripe between his eyes. I get what they're going for with it - they're trying to simulate the mono-eye without actually committing to it, because for whatever reason the film makers think that its too unrealistic and strange looking. In the movie about a blue hedgehog from space who runs at the speed of sound. K

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm really going to try to like this. I'm so tired of being cynical by default. Like, do you think I wanted to hate the idea of a Sonic movie? 5 year old me would've freaked. 

I still think this is not how things should have gone. It should've been a fully animated (be it 2D or 3D) and not a live action CG hybrid, but I'll try to be more open to it now that Sonic... well. Looks like Sonic now. This trailer could make it or break it for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

To be fair, I made a very poor edit to join the eyes together but I personally don't think it adds all that much to the design..

I actually prefer them separated, I see (no pun intended) why they went with that design. 

Untitled-1.jpg

I think it's definitely better without, but either way this design looks great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dr Ryan said:

I think it's definitely better without, but either way this design looks great.

Looks much better, even if it's just a tiny detail, it's distracting. I actually don't mind the blue arms and the fur looks okay IMO. Could've been smooth like the games? Absolutely, but at least they stoped at the right amount of "realism", if they still wanted to keep that moto, as unorthodox as it is.

I'm just glad this ACTUALLY looks like Sonic now, oof. Still probably gonna skip the movie, what we heard and saw (and the writers' history) is still pretty mediocre... But at least this design won't cause nightmares on people. What a roller-coaster this thing has been, huh?

46 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

To be fair, I made a very poor edit to join the eyes together but I personally don't think it adds all that much to the design..

I actually prefer them separated, I see (no pun intended) why they went with that design. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Oh I definitely disagree with you. It looks better when his eyes aren't separated. The result is a cleaner looking design without the unnecessary shadowing around his eyes that make them look very deep set.

• Thumbs Up 3

For me the fact he looks like Sonic and not a demon hellspawn has bumped this up from "Pass" to "Yeah I'll check it out." I don't think it'll be good but at least it'll be watchable.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found this. He look so good!!!!

spacer.png

Ok dang that looks better. I hope it'll be better in motion as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel no shame in saying now that I will go watch this movie the month it comes out. The story might be not good, but at least Sonic himself looks good now and not a embarrassment. Personally I think I'll have a good time with the movie even if it is far from perfect. I do still wish Eggman actually looked more like Eggman for a bigger portion of the movie and not just a random guy wearing a black coat. I hope they don't make any future Sonic movies live action again after this, just learn the bloody lesson already you stubborn weirdo film studios... cartoon franchises work better as (gasp!) 2D/3D cartoons and is what both the hardcore & casual fans expect to see from a mainly cartoon style franchise.

I can't stop thinking about how the first reaction would've been if this design was used from the beggining. Arguibly waaaaaaaay more positive. But after all the mockery and negative buzz, having a cool design now just feels... Bitter sweet to me. I doesn't change my perspective of this movie, if anything, it just unquestionably shows how people who said it looked terrible were right and how deeply wrong Paramount's direction was. I'm looking at both designs right now, and the old one looks even more horrible, if that's possible. It looks like when a fusion goes wrong in Dragon Ball Z.

So yeah. As much as I like this new design... The damage was already done.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh cool, Sonic actually looks like Sonic now.

That's all I got. The rest of that initial trailer did nothing to entice me into seeing this film, so a redesign for Sonic isn't going to change that.

• Thumbs Up 1

How does everything Tyson touches turn to gold like this

How

Also good to see they managed to scale back their own influence on the design even in this form. It looks sooo much better without the nike shoes, jointed/boned limbs, and gloveless hands, it's insane

• Thumbs Up 3

Makes you wonder who approved the first design at all? Like, they need to be fired. Who looked at that and thought "This looks great".

Man, I wish Eggman looked like himself now

I'm of the opinion of, "Yeah. Sure. He looks better. Cool. That's it."

This movie looks plagued with more problems than just how ugly Sonic was. I expect it to have its typical live-action/CGI licensed product issues. Stupid jokes (I expect at least one poop joke), story more focused on the human character and his human life and somewhere there's going to be a relationship subplot, and weird dance numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Makes you wonder who approved the first design at all? Like, they need to be fired. Who looked at that and thought "This looks great".

Man, I wish Eggman looked like himself now

Some higher up who thought they knew better than the people they had hired to do an artistic job and the video game industry and audience and quickly learned otherwise whilist shifting the blame onto other people

Someone who couldn't exactly be removed didn't care and just pushed it through , wanting to make money

People always say "blame the animators" when something goes wrong like this, yet don't realize that it isn't entirely their fault. Everyone in that studio was involved and nobody, not even the high authority, stopped an executive and thought "We should reconsider this." The producer or director may have had a specific vision and told the animators to do stuff like, "make Sonic look like a weird humanoid because he's an alien", "let's make Sonic's eyes small to make it more realistic", "he has to be feral, so let's lose the gloves".

The animators may have made the problem, but they also may have not necessarily caused it. Or maybe they did. We don't know

Someone had isolate Sonic from the background and the foreground from the leaked image. Now we had a clear image of the leaked Sonic. Here's how it's look like.:

Spoiler

EIq2p3tWoAAZP4C.pngEIq2p3sWoAM5XwN.png

Source: https://twitter.com/DrakeTheroux/status/1191965891354877953

Found this with the tan arms.:

Spoiler

EItIEPXW4AIU_eR.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/SonicpoX/status/1192125801128431617

• Thumbs Up 2

The white stripe between his eyes makes it feel like they didn’t commit. I don’t even mind Sonic having two eyes, but at least make it look like he has two eyes instead of going halfway in both directions.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

If there is a time to show gratitude, by buying a ticket, it's this moment.

Okay, so we don't have the gremlin anymore, but how does that warrant spending my money on a movie that still fails to appeal to me in any regard. Sonic is my all time favorite entertainment property and this movie manages to have no appeal to me, yet because they improved upon one of the most glaring issue this movie has you think I should spend my money on it? You'll need to have a better argument than they spent so much time and money to fix one problem so you should forgive every other problem and watch this movie now. Call me bitter, call me disillusioned, call me a hater. I don't really care. But don't tell me that spending millions to fix one problem out of many for a movie that missed the entire appeal of the franchise in the first and doesn't appeal to me means I should spend my money now. Sorry if I sound angry, but Sonic's bad design was only the cherry on top of this horrible sundae for me.

• Thumbs Up 6

He just looks so nice now in general and I don't mind the fuzziness. I'm glad the image was confirmed and this is just so much better. I honestly don't know what they were thinking on the previous design and how they thought it was good. Still waiting on that new trailer drop though.