Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

More leaked Sony emails have come out giving some new info on the movie's release date and production: http://segabits.com/blog/2015/04/29/leaked-sony-pictures-e-mails-show-excitement-for-segas-sonic-the-hedge-dog/

It was stated in the original announcement.

Neal Moritz, by the way, is also Original Film's founder.

Sony is distributing it though via their Columbia Pictures division, Original Film is just co-producing it so one of those Sony dates could be it.

Hahahaha Sonic the Hedgedog....man that ones being committed to memory. When I was younger during the Megadrive era and I was crazy about the blue dude my father used to call him Sonic the Hedgepig to annoy me, but this takes the cake hahaha.

Something I want to bring up. The email says the movie would 'hopefully' release in 2016, not that it WILL be.

Considering the script isn't finished yet and there's no sign of a teaser trailer (maybe at Comic Con?), I think this will probably be delayed until 2017.

.... ... Oh dear...

I hope this would be another franchise like RESIDENT EVIL for our Japanese market.

No... Please... No... Not those movies... no...

• Thumbs Up 4

If they want it to be like Resident Evil it'll focus on a super special awesome OC who's so much cooler and sexier than all those lame Game Canon Characters.

.... ... Oh dear...

"I hope this would be another franchise like RESIDENT EVIL for our Japanese market."

Which ones? The CGI ones or the horrible live action ones... cause if it's the latter then... yeesh...

.... ... Oh dear...

*Quote*

Calm down, I think he just meant in terms of popularity.

I seriously thought the leak wasn't real at first because of that typo. Then I look closer and it was just a personal email. Humph.

So 2016 huh? I would think they would have shown something by now. Wonder what the production is like.

2016 is gunna be a pretty interesting and loaded year for us Sonic fans by the sounds of things. It's looking more and more like the next mainstream game will be released in 2016, and this movie too now apparently, and it's also the next big anniversary date for our little blue rodent. I just hope its all worth the wait and won't end up being a giant disappointment on all fronts >.<

I have to admit that there really isn't a lot to go off here. I mean, it's just a vague idea of a potential release date, and nothing really definitive.

Calm down, I think he just meant in terms of popularity.

You mean popular only with the general audiences who happen to enjoy the films (I say this as the RE films are box office successes) and are downright hated by most people who are fans of the source material?

That's not only the case with the RE films, but also with several Hollywood film adaptations in general, let alone videogame adaptations (those that are commercially successful, anyway). Chipmunks, Transformers, Smurfs, the list goes on.

I hope Sony/Sega aren't dumb enough to put this movie up against Batman Vs. Superman. =\

As much as I love Sonic, I know a Sonic movie can't go toe-to-toe with a Superhero film or Pixar release. It will crash and burn if that happened.

I think an August release, right after most of the big hits have come out, like TMNT did last year, would be good. Or perhaps late April, right before the big wave of Blockbusters.

Even the Power Rangers reboot got pushed back to 2017. I doubt that we get the sonic movie in 2016. Maybe a teaser trailer at best.

Movies are called the recession proof industry because of how cheap they are to see usually.

I don't think there's really a threat of competition even if Sonic did release the same time as a blockbuster.

It's not like a video game where you drop $50 just for one and opportunity costs will abound accordingly. Films cost a fraction of that to see and so it's very possible to see multiple in the same week.

Sonic The Hedge Dog....

I need a moment....

Okay, done. Anyway, is Sony really hoping on a 2016 release date? Again, is the movie even complete enough to warrent this date?

Bear in mind that these e-mails came out over half a year ago. We have no idea what state the movie was in then, and we have no idea what state it is now, so therefore we don't know what's changed between those points in time.

Also too, the wordage there implies to me that SONY is "hoping" meaning that it really isn't solid, and could easily change at any time, to release it in 2016. It sounds to me that while they're shooting for having it out then, that it's easily possible that it could come out later.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty hyped for 2016, Most likely a new game, anniversary, possibly a new movie, it could be one of the biggest years in a while for Sonic.

• 2 weeks later...

And here I was hoping for a great 25th anniversary, I have no faith in this film, these CGI/live-action hybrids have never been good and I don't see why this will be. Oh and just a heads up if we're getting a tie-in game then that means we're gonna get another photo-realistic sonic game. 

And here I was hoping for a great 25th anniversary, I have no faith in this film, these CGI/live-action hybrids have never been good and I don't see why this will be. Oh and just a heads up if we're getting a tie-in game then that means we're gonna get another photo-realistic sonic game. 

If there is a city it better be somewhere official like Westside Island, or South Island...or *shudders* Station Square. Had more than enough of the <insert beloved characters here> End up butchered and in the "real" world for <insert stupid plot device here> reason. I find it disgusting when companies go to great lengths to get a licenced property and then change everything about it so it doesn't even resemble the source material...and when they overly Americanize stuff, there's literally no need for it. Its loved and popular for a reason, leave it the hell alone, seriously!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I fear Sonic's going to get ripped a new one if it goes for a 2016 release date. Now he's got to compete with not only whatever the big studios push out, but Sly Cooper AND Ratchet & Clank.

I understand the value of the gamer demographic, but I can't help but feel all these gaming films piling up so close to each other is going to cause a disaster.

Given Sony's hand in all three, I'm hopeful they'll at least keep them nicely spaced out.

I have a bad feeling about this movie. So I'm expecting it's gonna be a another smurf's related plot. Ya know, sonic & friends gets transported to the real world ( probably in New York City or something) and stupid situations happens...with sony product placements everywhere. *cringes at the thought*

So yeah, I'm not having the best of hopes for this movie but I'll hold my tongue until we get a teaser trailer or some more info. I hope I'm wrong.

If this movie is coming out in 2016, then that's okay, I guess. Makes sense considering it's the 25th anniversary. 

I just pray to God SEGA doesn't release a half-baked product solely to meet the anniversary, though.

Most of its history, SEGA has cared little about anniversaries barring as a marketing ploy.

That changed with the 20th and Generations, though. Plenty of fan fare for that one. So the question is if it was just that one time, or they're actually going to put more stock on anniversaries from now on.

I wouldn't be so terrified about the latter if not for the fact they have an obsession with deadlines.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 2 was an anniversary game.

To be honest, the only anniversary that really fell flat was 06. That was when, for reasons that defy explanation, SEGA thought it would acceptable to release not one broken-ass Sonic game, but two.