Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic is kinda cute now when the camera or clothes are hiding his body.

It's still a movie where he travels with a cop around the midwest. I'm still not fucking watching it, but gotta give Tyson props for being a fucking miracle worker once again and making this movie sellable. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Also, the Romanos is such a better band/song choice for this trailer, and it baffles me how we went from something as absolutely tone deaf as Gangster’s Paradise to this, it’s giving me major Homecoming vibes, which I think that tone works perfectly for a Sonic movie.

Even if it’s shit, I’ll give them credit, they managed to make a great trailer from a bad movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not a fan of carrey as eggman, imho it simply doesn't fit eggmans characte, but the movie looks WAY better now. They kept their promise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok. First of all, gonna give the animators a pat on the back. They changed Sonic's look which improved the quality a ton. Doing that in so little time must have been horrible, so thats why I'm mentioning them first. Now the rest of it. They used much more fitting music and some jokes made me smile (not laugh, just smile).

Now the negatives. Now I said some jokes made me smile, but most was cringe. The story seems bleh to me, very cookie cutter and meh to me. Jim Carrey is just being himself, not Robotnik.

So overall, its moved up from a "hell no" to a "maybe watchable".

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Although it has to be said that a child bridge character would more likely be annoying, ala Chris Thorndyke. It's almost like... Maybe a live action film where Sonic comes to our world and hangs out with regular humans was... a bad idea maybe? Whodda think it

Child bridge characters are only annoying to adults which is an acceptable compromise to make when you consider that Sonic is for 7 year olds. 

Who is Tom for

I think the worst thing the trailer displays is that because Sonic is the best thing about it, it would’ve been far more preferable to have him and his regular cast in his world.

Also, Tom is basically confirmed to be Sonic’s first friend, so no Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Welp.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Child bridge characters are only annoying to adults which is an acceptable compromise to make when you consider that Sonic is for 7 year olds. 

Who is Tom for

You gotta remember this movie is... or at least was rated PG-13 and the creators in the past said they wanted this movie to aim for the older Sonic market who grew up with the franchise back in the 90s.

As a side note. Might be surprising but not all kids enjoy or only relate to child characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can definitely say that Sonic looks much better. That, and the trailer was entertaining and had musical nods to past games, which I appreciate. So yeah, gonna watch this when it comes out for home audiences.

...Movie theaters and I don't mix. Too loud for my liking.

OK.

"-In an extremelly handsome package".

This whole scene got to be new. I can't imagine these words coming out of that other Sonic.

This looks really nice. I actually laughed a few times and not unironically.

Green Hill looks great. Voice acting looks funny, he's most definitely trying to mimic Ryan Reynolds's take on Pikachu.

Nice music selection, there's even a nod to the Green Hill theme. 

The "Sonic do things in seconds" gag is overused, but it's funny a least.

Eggm.. I mean, Robotnik dancing XD

Man. I wonder how much has changed. 

Imagine all these scenes with the ugly ass Sonic from before, ugh.

Better trailer overhall. I'd probably would've wanted to watch the movie if this was the first trailer haha

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Tom is the typical boring white male character viewers can project onto like they always do in these kinds of movies. Less of a character more of an audience surrogate.

The trailer was much better, had so much more energy and I will be watching it less because I think it will be good and more as a message to send that when you listen to fan outcry (when it's warranted) and fake steps to rectify it, you get a better product. So I'll buy a ticket for the production team and Tyson who probably worked like hell to make this happen and not really for the movie itself lol

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Who is Tom for

I don't think that this film is just for 7 year olds though. It's hitting the family market, inclusive of adults who are franchise fans. Choosing an adult character when Sonic is already "the kid" is the best of two bad choices, IMO. Tom isn't really for anyone in particular. I'm glad that this film isn't using a normal child character.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

Imagine all these scenes with the ugly ass Sonic from before, ugh.

Why waste imagination, I 100% expect fan artists will be doing some what if draw-overs of what might have been.

I agree that Tom is so generic and boring, at least he's not the protagonist, but I really want to defend Carrey as Robotnik here, isn't he supposed to be bonkers? Mad? Selfish? A clown mad scientist? Check check check check.

• Thumbs Up 1

That definitely felt more in line with what Sonic is. I think I can tolerate going to see it in theaters now.

Shame the film still looks pretty big standard otherwise, but it's not like I had high expectations to begin with. 

Tom is whatever; as said, he's the whitebread everyman character people can project themselves onto. Sonic is the main attraction here and I hope the film doesn't forget that like X did with Chris.

To be honest it's not that bad. It's ok. I can say I already like this Sonic more than the current one/Boom. He's still got his wit, even if childish, but he's just so happy to be here and excited. So excited he has a hard time not moving. It's great. So much better than sarcastic deadpan cynical snoozefest he has become lately. I want to see him. I want to see him explore. I love seeing the world through the eyes of someone passionate and wide eyed, and even then not always impressed so he's not just giddy for everything. Some things are awesome and some things are lame, but he's positive enough that there's a silver lining. I like this Sonic from what I see. He also sounds more youthful too, even if his proportions kind of paint him more of being like Tails age rather than a teenager.

That's about where the praise ends though. I like this Sonic and what I see of him....but not much else. Tom does nothing but be the bore surrogate character and doesn't stand out at all. Though punching Eggman is kinda funny. Speaking of Jim Carrey...they kinda lost me with him. I do think he is a great choice for Robotnik but...this is feeling like just every goofy Carrey performance ever. It kinda just feels like Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey....and he just calls himself Robotnik for some reason despite being Jim Carrey.

Music is better too, and it's kinda funny how this Sonic is trying to be what Tom's best friend for some reason. Not in a good way...just kinda odd. It's probably the one thing I don't like about this Sonic. His allure was more everyone wants to follow him or be like him....and what he does brings people to becoming his friend. Not really him looking like a little kid trying to make a friend. Oddly this would fit a early Tails trying to be friends with Sonic more than Sonic trying to befriend someone.

Overall I still don't think it's gonna be good, but it doesn't look like a dumpster fire anymore. Looks like it may be ok.

• Thumbs Up 1

A substantial improvement. I'll give some massive props to the animators for getting this straightened out and for the trailer itself being genuinely more in line with how the series as a whole has always represented itself. There was a lot more energy seen here. Honestly, I no longer think that this is going to be the monumental train-wreck that it was setting out to be a few months back.

That being said, am I actually starting to count down the days till February? Nah. Tbh I still don't see this movie being anything more than simply passable. It's a hell of a ways forward than where we were before but there's still quite a number of things working against this for me.

On a side note, a part of me is both sickened yet strangely curious as to how the original design would've looked in these scenes.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I don't think that this film is just for 7 year olds though. It's hitting the family market, inclusive of adults who are franchise fans. Choosing an adult character when Sonic is already "the kid" is the best of two bad choices, IMO. Tom isn't really for anyone in particular. I'm glad that this film isn't using a normal child character.

The same "franchise fans" that have been begging for Sonic to hang out with his friends who are also children instead?

Tails is basically already a child bridge character. We're just used to him being around.

I hate it, because it looks like any other cringey, terrible animated film. Sonic looks better, but he was fucking annoying throughout. And while Carrey looks good, he's not even remotely trying to play Robotnik.

The only parts which were good was when Sonic was in Green Hill, because that actually looked like a Sonic film. The rest of the film was a boring, terrible animated film with Sonic put into it.

• Thumbs Up 5

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The same "franchise fans" that have been begging for Sonic to hang out with his friends who are also children instead?

Tails is basically already a child bridge character. We're just used to him being around.

There's a big difference between Tails and "Generic Child the Human" though. At last with Tails, we'd be looking at another animal character with some degree of superpowers, be it flight, brains or speed. But in any a case, a story about where it came down to "we can all be super heroes thanks to Sonic and the power of friendship" would be cheesy. Tom shifts the focus away from that since, being an adult, he's got less to overcome in the way of limitations and wanting to fit in. If Tails is introduced in a sequel, I'd want him to be a partner to Sonic and not a child Sonic's got to babysit. And if Tails was in this film, I worry it would be the latter. At least Tom looks like he's going to be a bit more of a partner?

• Thumbs Up 2

Tbh this angle is playing it safer; it's leaning on the idea of the audience who is either familiar or unfamiliar with the character to only look down to him as a cute little mascot they've always loved to watch from the sidelines, rather than the childhood hero-angle of a strong-willed protagonist who the audience is supposed to look up to. Kids would eat the latter up for sure, but for the entire family and adult movie goers?

Kinda similar to Classic Sonic's "identity" in a way actually. Cool doesn't or didn't exist. Only cute. Look at the cute hedgehog go! Back when Sonic games were actually bearable to acknowledge, amiright?

So this is the right design and the right trailer, huh?
Not bad, not bad at all...

f78.gif

At least now the movie is A Little Less Bad™ than before, with some stronger character moments with Sonic. Never thought I’d be happy to see Green Hill Zone again, but hey. Still feels kinda like “family-friendly live-action CGI” shlock, much in the vein of Alvin and the Chipmunks, or The Smurfs, or whatever. Not completely off the mark, but certainly not entirely faithful. Still doesn't have that "Sonic soul" in my opinion, as there's nothing to ground the film into the Sonic mythos.

Honestly, I can live with it. I’m conflicted about actually paying for a ticket or just sneaking in through the backdoor, because I admire the effort gone into producing this film but also do not support the methods behind it that even caused the initial racket. The original design still happened. The story is still a major whatever. Jim Carrey is a terrible Eggman. And I’m still not entirely into it, if I’m perfectly honest.

All in all, a definite improvement, but not sure how to feel about it.

Additionally, the Japanese version of the trailer has extra scenes (which are alright, I guess), and I certainly like the Japanese poster more for it’s simplicity of just establishing Sonic on his own. The movie quote on that poster implies Jun’ichi Kanemaru’s English quips will return in their dub, judging by the “ノープロブレム!/ NO PROBLEM!” which I am entirely okay with.

• Promotion 1