Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I feel like this trailer still doesn't resolve the biggest issue that the movie has right now. You could replace Sonic with any other character, and it wouldn't change a thing. This isn't a Sonic movie. It's a generic average Hollywood movie with special guest Sonic the Hedgehog. And that is so much wasted potential. It really didn't have to be like that.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Tom appeals to the jaded adult who hasn't touched a Sonic game since 1994.

"You really think Sonic is a good person, Tom the Cop?"

"Sonic was never good."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

The trailer was average.  I like the new design better than the initial one we got, that's for sure.  The gloves add something to the design that wasn't there before and that's why Sonic works as Sonic...without the gloves, he does feel incomplete.   I'm glad James Marsden(forever Cyclops to me) is in this to round out the insanity of Jim Carrey.  I'll see the movie but I don't see this getting a sequel.

Well, like everyone else has said, the way Sonic looks is hugely improved.
However also like everyone else has said. The movie has next to nothing else going for it.

People can get lost with the "They changed it for US so we HAVE to see it" sentiment. These changes will have been motivated by the goal of making the movie not bomb and the people who made the changes will have gotten paid for their work (and this is working from the assumption that the conspiracy theories aren't true). I'm absolutely not obligated to subject myself to garbage on their account.

Sonic is a lazy mesh of movie CGI anthro animal and fast superhero tropes. Tom is infinitely bland. And Jim Carrey is just doing Jim Carrey things, which, while entertaining. There are a huge number of other, good movies, you could watch him be Jim Carrey in.

I'm not against alternative takes on Sonic. But you need to do "something" interesting with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is funny.

https://youtu.be/FvvZaBf9QQI

Paramount set the original trailer to private. I guess they don't want anyone to be confused when looking up the trailers. I doubt that they're actually trying to "hide" the original one (which is probably how some people are going to spin it), but how often does a movie studio have to get rid of an old trailer because it no longer represents the film? Lol 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

This is funny.

Paramount set the original trailer to private. I guess they don't want anyone to be confused when looking up the trailers. I doubt that they're actually trying to "hide" the original one (which is probably how some people are going to spin it), but how often does a movie studio have to get rid of an old trailer because it no longer represents the film? Lol 

Given the absolute negative reception to it, sweeping the old design under the rug makes sense.

• Thumbs Up 3

At least I can take my friend in confidence now to watch the film. Before I didn’t want to.

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

This is funny.

Could this help disprove the Conspiracy plot twist theory? Since they are hiding it. But still… I'm not sure what to think about that theory.

Anyway, I have to say Robotnik looks more intimidating in the poster than in the trailer, as well as sexy.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Given the absolute negative reception to it, sweeping the old design under the rug makes sense.

It makes sense. But I just find it to be really funny to think that it was so bad it prompted change. And the change was so drastic that the old trailer no longer represented the film.

• Way Past Cool 1

Interestingly the German language trailer has a few different scenes not included in US English one: 

At 00:17 he says: "Where am I? Why is it so dark here? What kinda level is this?" 

EDIT: Just seen this is dubbed over the UK one, which includes the extra scenes. 

Seeing the GHZ opening makes me further despair at the decision to make this live-action. Those few opening vistas look so damn gorgeous and the Sonic model really looks like he belongs there. Obviously, as it's all CGI the new design was able to be fully incorporated into that world. 

They've mostly done a really great job considering the time they've had, but there are some frames, particularly the close-ups, such as Sonic hiding under a chair, that look glaringly off in terms of lighting, proportions and overall quality of the model. It's unfortunate that the utter cock-up they made with the original design will leave its mark in the final product—at the end of the day these live-action shots were filmed with a different sized character in mind.

As to overall impressions, echoing the majority here: I still think it looks like generic, uninspired pish but I am immensely thankful for the sensible improvements. This will likely just go under the radar now as another mediocre Hollywood game adaption rather than as another colossal, damaging embarrassment for the franchise.

I can almost hear Aaron Webber's sigh of relief. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Where the original design is concerned. It's funny how they initially seemed set in their ways of a more realistic interpretation of the character, but now the current version is so cartoony he's only a few small modifications away from being game accurate.

It really does make you wonder if the conspiracy theories are correct, because there's no way they couldn't have seen this coming, right?

If they didn't know it just goes to show how much of a mistake handing the series over to people with such little awareness was.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't know if anyone has seen this or not? This is the full synopsis from the VUE cinema website

Roaming the American wilderness of Green Hills, bright blue hedgehog Sonic (Ben Schwartz) travels at lightning speed searching for magic coins. But his supersonic movement causes an energy surge across the entire Pacific North West, catching the attention of the US government, which plans to launch an investigation.

As Sonic’s presence ripples through the country, the government’s desperate attempts to capture the special hedgehog fall short. Struggling, they’re left with little option but to send the brilliantly insane Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) into the field.

But while the government is under the impression the incredible scientist is working with them, he is, in fact, hatching a wicked plan that uses Sonic’s powers for his own intentions: total world domination.

Working with a small-town sheriff, Tom (James Marsden), Sonic must use quick thinking as well as quick feet to evade capture and figure a way to foil the nefarious doctor’s villainy, saving the world in the process.

Based on the blockbuster video game franchise, Ben Schwartz (Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Parks and Recreation) stars in this adventure comedy as the voice of the famous hedgehog, alongside Jim Carrey (Dumb and Dumber To, Kick-Ass 2), and James Marsden (Henchmen, Westworld). Newcomer Jeff Fowler directs his first feature-length film.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yuji Nakas two cents:

"A new design for the movie Sonic came out. However, it seems that the previous tweet has been erased. It is a pity that I wanted to watch the DVD with the previous design."

That last sentence is weird tho, wasn't he critical of the older design too? Or am I mistakening things?

56 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I hate it, because it looks like any other cringey, terrible animated film. Sonic looks better, but he was fucking annoying throughout. And while Carrey looks good, he's not even remotely trying to play Robotnik.

The only parts which were good was when Sonic was in Green Hill, because that actually looked like a Sonic film. The rest of the film was a boring, terrible animated film with Sonic put into it.

"Check out this unique, colorful place where Sonic lives! Take a good look cuz you're not gonna see it any more in this movie, instead you're gonna get some average american town you all seen a million times in other movies!"

Also, this means that their original plan was to Sonic look like a freak in his own world as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

Even though the movie looks mediocre, I have to admit that it's sheer existance brings a smile to my face. I'm a 90's kid, and so the idea of a Sonic the Hedgehog movie with Jim Carrey playing Dr Robotnik, well, let's just say that if this had come out in 1996 when I was 10 my head would have exploded.😆

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Emerald Chaos said:

It really does make you wonder if the conspiracy theories are correct, because there's no way they couldn't have seen this coming, right?

This isn't the only time that Hollywood has deviated from the source material or had to delay a film to change a character design.

1 hour ago, SSF1991 said:

Okay so first I'll mention the good things I saw from that trailer:

1. Sonic's new design looks a MILLION times better. THANK YOU. The eyes still look a little weird, but it's not that big of a deal.

2. Green Hill looks absolutely stunning.

3. The choice for music in this trailer? Also a MILLION times better.

4. Jim Carrey. Need I say more?

Now the bad:

1. The acting is still not all that great to me. Jim Carrey's still the only one that stands out in my opinion.

2. The humor's still hit and miss to me. It feels all over the place. And I know the humor we got in the first trailer didn't go away either.

3. I still hate this plot. I'm sorry, but I just cannot get into this generic and un-Sonic plot whatsoever.

4. Green Hill looked so good...but this kind of breathtaking scenery is only going to be in like 5 minutes of the movie. So it's not saying much.

5. The writing as a whole feels inconsistent. Sometimes, Sonic acts like Sonic. And then other times he's, well, not. Eggman/Robotnik was clearly written with Jim Carrey in mind, and it works.

Overall, It feels like Jim Carrey's the only beacon of light in this movie, but I also feel like this is the kind of trailer the movie needed. Badly. It still has a lot of problems. But I've gone from not even wanting to watch it to giving it a chance when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray or something. And that's saying a lot.

I see what you did there. The first sentence... Sonic colors all the way. xD

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It makes sense. But I just find it to be really funny to think that it was so bad it prompted change. And the change was so drastic that the old trailer no longer represented the film.

I'm not one to condone outrage culture, but it was a necessary evil in this case as there wouldn't have been a change otherwise. In hindsight, I'm glad people turned on this film from the first trailer because it showed just how tone deaf Paramount was.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm not one to condone outrage culture, but it was a necessary evil in this case as there wouldn't have been a change otherwise. In hindsight, I'm glad people turned on this film from the first trailer because it showed just how tone deaf Paramount was.

Yeah, that original Sonic design would have killed the movie. And it's not even the sheer fact that it deviated so much from the game design, but that even on it's own merrit it just looked absoluetly hideous. I kinda see what they were going for, with a design more grounded in how a creature like Sonic could actually look if it existed in real life (for instance he would probably have long slender legs in order to run like he does) but the whole thing just failed miserably and tossed Sonic right down the uncanney valley.

Hopefully now the naysayers will go see the film. I guarantee the scripts the same as before. I will miss gangster paradise lol. But the first trailer had a darker theme inguess compared to this. This had me thinking definitely child friendly. Now to wait for merchandise