Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

25 minutes ago, Sean said:

Not really feeling it still lol. I almost thought the leaked design was okay, but tbh I hate haaaaate how Sonic looks in movement (not saying the previous design was better, it was a lot worse!) and he looks more like a generic CG cartoon character than Sonic the Hedgehog at some parts.

It's the eyes. Sonic's eyes are the wrong shape, and it completely changes his face. He looks more child like and lacks the effortlessly cool approach of his usual look, instead opting for a much cuter look. It goes to show just how effectively designed his eyes actually are in his game design. Even if they didn't want to use the mono-eye (which I think they should have), they should have giving him more angled brows, instead of the rounded ones. He's basically got Tails' eyes.

• Thumbs Up 9

The one thing about this trailer I didn't like is that, with most family movie trailers, they try to mash two different scenes together to make a new joke, and it almost never works.

Everything else was great though, I'm really looking forward to watching this!

• Thumbs Up 2

The design change and the expressiveness of the character is a major improvement ^^

As for the trailer itself. It definitely got me to genuinely smile occasionally, which is more than I can say for the original trailer. They showcased more of the characters personalities and so far I don't have any big issue with them. Still not sure whether Jim Carrey is actually playing Robotnik or "himself." The plot can be read easily but if the ride is fun then I won't mind.

Overall this whole thing seems very generic. Not sure whether I'll see it in theatres. Will have to wait and see if the group near me who organised going to see Detective Pikachu will be doing the same for this movie. Otherwise I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate me suggesting this as our valentines day out lol

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Shiroi said:

The design change and the expressiveness of the character is a major improvement ^^

As for the trailer itself. It definitely got me to genuinely smile occasionally, which is more than I can say for the original trailer. They showcased more of the characters personalities and so far I don't have any big issue with them. Still not sure whether Jim Carrey is actually playing Robotnik or "himself." The plot can be read easily but if the ride is fun then I won't mind.

Overall this whole thing seems very generic. Not sure whether I'll see it in theatres. Will have to wait and see if the group near me who organised going to see Detective Pikachu will be doing the same for this movie. Otherwise I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate me suggesting this as our valentines day out lol

That would be a great practical joke for me to play on my wife if they kept the previous design, I would go like "OK dear, for Valentine's day I'm gonna take you to see the Sonic movie" to have her jokingly replying that it's not Halloween. Now it would just make her go eh. See, this movie completely lost its appeal now as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

The one thing about this trailer I didn't like is that, with most family movie trailers, they try to mash two different scenes together to make a new joke, and it almost never works.

What part was that? I didn’t notice.

Gonna echo what others have said, that this doesn't look like a total disaster anymore... but it is pretty generic. I'm still not willing to pay money to see this.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It's the eyes. Sonic's eyes are the wrong shape, and it completely changes his face. He looks more child like and lacks the effortlessly cool approach of his usual look, instead opting for a much cuter look. It goes to show just how effectively designed his eyes actually are in his game design. Even if they didn't want to use the mono-eye (which I think they should have), they should have giving him more angled brows, instead of the rounded ones. He's basically got Tails' eyes.

Yeah.

sonicmovieposternov_resized-895x375.jpg

Like he looks alright here! It's clearly the same model, except he has his trademark scowl. But he doesn't have this expression for most of the trailer and it's kind of gross to look at. It's an improvement for sure, but I still hate this look for Sonic personally.

• Thumbs Up 3

45 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

Yeah.

Like he looks alright here! It's clearly the same model, except he has his trademark scowl. But he doesn't have this expression for most of the trailer and it's kind of gross to look at. It's an improvement for sure, but I still hate this look for Sonic personally.

This is actually a good point; he lacks the determined expression he usually has. Combined with is more hyperactive personality, it makes him feel much more childish than his normal self, who is generally much more down to earth and self confident.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Yeah.

I don't hate it myself. In fact, I quite like it at the right times, and think it's adequate for what it's trying to do. His face still isn't Sonic though, and that's the killer. That's what makes me think "I hate that it's still not Sonic".

Literally nothing about the movie design is better than the game design. And it's funny that this is is Movie Sonic version 2. All they did is make him look more like his game counterpart and boom it's an instant improvement. They didn't need to redesign him at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

And the award for most pointless VFX change goes to... 

Tom's gun!

I guess that's changed just to sell the fact that he's using a tranquilizer gun instead of a typical pistol.

• Thumbs Up 2

I kinda figured they were gonna go the hyperactive immature route because it's such an easy way to characterize a fast character despite Sonic himself bring chill and laid back and stopping to relax and take in the world. But there's no point in complaining about the movie Sonic not being like the games due to everything else. I'm just happy the design is good 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Mythical Panda said:

What part was that? I didn’t notice.

I believe it's the part where Eggman says "give me a big fat break", I don't think his reaction was supposed to go to the scene prior.

Could be wrong though.

On another note, I wish I could see Shadow in this new movie style. That would be so cool...

So... Yeah my thoughts on this. Also all my examples and references can be found in my video on the trailer... I'm not capping and uploading individual images for this. So check out the video for examples of what I'm talking about.

This trailer feels like a click-bait thumbnail for a misleading video in many ways. Now... Yes the design is light years ahead of ManHog. Yes the trailer is fun, it's exciting and will please a lot of people.

But that isn't the movie. The movie isn't a series of small moments like this... it's a feature length movie.

And if you look at trailer 1 and compare what was in that, which isn't in this...

* The military scenes are almost gone. 

* The Generals are gone.

* Toms girlfriend is almost gone.

* The awful dialogue from before has been cut out.

Buuuut... Most of that is still in and still is the movie. 

Even what was poor before is still poor now. Jim Carrey's performance is not good, it's his 'doing it for a pay-cheque' performance that we've seen before. His costume is still generic black coat man, the badniks are just generic drones which look like toys you find in a gadget shop... Which makes no sense, even the first trailer makes out that Eggman is this crazy eccentric who can't really be trusted... So go all out with it, make it so that he designs robots that look like creatures instead of generic robots.

Some of the VFX isn't finished and looks really poor (check out the scene in Sonic's home, some of the VFX is really bad, note the tyre that Sonic stands on when he plays ping pong).

The design looks better, maybe even great... But the movie?

• Thumbs Up 6

I'll probably see it. I like it. Ben will do a good job. Not expecting an amazing film but pokemon wasmt amazing either. Think itll be at least that for me.

Finally saw the trailer. It's miles better than the first one imo. Sonic's design is much better (and he's expressive) that Green Hill zone visual is pretty nice too! Him wearing these random outfits and being a dork with the nunchuck was pretty funny.

Liking Jim Carrey as Eggman. That dance tho.

I'll agree that the plot is kinda iffy in terms of the friendship thing since the other characters aren't there.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

note the tyre that Sonic stands on when he plays ping pong

The tyre looks like a flat image on the floor.

Yea, I'm pretty much gonna echo everyone here and say this looks MILES better than the trash heap we had months on end, and that for the first time ever, I'm actually genuinely happy about something about this movie. This may not be the quintessential Sonic movie people like myself was looking for (This movie still has lots of room for improvement people in this thread pointed out already), but it still looks like a good time to be had here.

With that said tho....I think I have to put my tin foil nut case hat on for this one, because this turnaround was too great for me to believe there isn't something going on here. Wasn't there a report on a early screening of this movie where the viewers said something along the lines of "Omg that looks just like the Sonic I remember!" like a year or so ago? I feel like those people were referring to THIS Movie Sonic that we are finally seeing today, because there's no way in hell they were talking about that homonculus reincarnation we were dealing with before. 

It's good enough that I'm interested in seeing it to see how much of a dumpster fire the rest of it probably still is. Far better than I imagined they would have ever changed it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

The actual movie still doesn't seem like much of a good time, but the design's a considerable improvement. Props, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

I gotta say this trailer actually made the movie look kinda fun. Maybe not the deepest thing ever but it looks like it'd be a fun way to kill 2 hours.

And yes Sonic got a major upgrade. 

• Thumbs Up 3