Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Clearly the advertising group who edited together the last trailer was sacked and replaced with a different crew, or they realized the mess they had made and used their second chance to restart from scratch. The last trailer was over the place and only served to attract scorn for the "fish-out-of-water adaptation" concept from the jump. 

This trailer has plenty of scenes showing Sonic's speed and characterization for humor, and it's using that as the big selling point. The trailer music if not directly connecting to the games (the GHZ remix in the first half) is at least energetic (fitting the tone of this hyperactive Sonic). It's certainly no WTF "grab a random popular 90s single" choice that "Gangster's Paradise" was for the first trailer. So with that in mind, I'll give the production/marketing crew this due: this new trailer does a better job of making this movie look (somewhat) worthwhile than the first.

I still don't think the movie is going to be good though. If anything, I think the first trailer is (unintentionally) more honest in showing us what the actual film is going to be, once it hits theaters. But if anyone told me that they were now unironically (kinda) invested in seeing this movie in the theater because of this second trailer; I would understand, even if I still disagree.

(The theatrical Sega logo being an animated collage of Sega's game library is also a tad admirable. Even if it doesn't really mean anything given that Sega themselves has stated that they have zero creative involvement with this movie.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Something I thought was cute about the trailer was the little bit of Green Hill's theme that actually plays at the beginning during Sonic's monologue. The trailer in general seems to be a faster paced cut that better sells the character design and his personality; overall it just seems more appealing on a surface level which is fine for this kind of thing. I even felt the jokes landed better because of that. I still think the Sonic elements can be changed out with virtually anything else and retain the same story, but I at least appreciate what was done to make the movie look better.

It's not enough to make me want to go see it in theaters, and I suspect the trailer was heavily frontloaded with the best scenes, but credit where it's due.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just watched the new trailer. Wow, Sonic actually looks like Sonic this time, kinda. Still think the blue arms look dumb and the section between Sonic's eyes doesn't look right/looks kinda weird when he looks forward...

EaGcfle.png

...but overall it's a good improvement.

Robotnik sure can dance!

giphy.gif

Reminds me of....

Image result for eggman dance gif

• Thumbs Up 4

Congrats movie. You went from horribly awful to woefully meh with only an improved Sonic design. The dialogue is still dreadful with weak writing and forced jokes. Jim Carrey is just hamming up as usual, feeling more like a discount Ace Ventura than Eggman. Feels like they blend Sonic, Hop and Alvin And the Chipmunks: the Road Chip in a blender.

Again why the f&@k wasn’t this fully animated?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

The dialogue is still dreadful with weak writing and forced jokes.

So, on par with most Sonic games, then?

• Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 4
  • Absolutely 1

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

So, on par with most Sonic games, then?

Which the Fandom sure do love and give a pass unlike this movie ? 😂

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest issue with Carrey is you’d think he’d work well if he just subdued the performance a little. I could absolutely see Carey’s ridiculous over the top movements and such working perfectly if they saved it for a bit and then had it come out as part of a Eggman rampage. Like Eggman undergoing a huge failure and responding in utter anger towards it. I could see it working great there.

Even how Carrey was in Liar Liar would be fairly decent. He had his over the top moments there, but the smug arrogance mixed with over the top gestures is how I could see Eggman react and respond to others.

But this isn’t it. Eggman shouldn’t be full on loopy and over the top the whole time. Part of Eggman’s appeal is how he can jump from over the top, witty, serious, egotistical, boastful etc. Carrey is acting like how I’d expect King DeDeDe to act, not Eggman. If Carrey was being directed to be a bit more subdued and then save the total over the top gestures and what have you to stressful moments and Eggman’s outrages, I think it would look better.

But as is, this isn’t how I expect Eggman to be, frankly, he’s acting more like The Mask than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Congrats movie. You went from horribly awful to woefully meh with only an improved Sonic design. The dialogue is still dreadful with weak writing and forced jokes. Jim Carrey is just hamming up as usual, feeling more like a discount Ace Ventura than Eggman. Feels like they blend Sonic, Hop and Alvin And the Chipmunks: the Road Chip in a blender.

Again why the f&@k wasn’t this fully animated?

I’d say it’s closer to that weird Dumbo one that happened this year.

I'll be honest I think I'm FAR more excited than the average about today's trailer. Absolutely agree with all the points about Eggman and the live action route for a Sonic film but I had a lot of fun watching this and have spent most of the day in the studio with a big grin on my face.

The tone and humour for me is hitting quite well, even if it's not necessarily 100% conventionally Sonic.

I'll definitely be at the cinema for this. Looking forward to seeing all the promotional stuff show up at my local theatre. Colour me hyped.

• Thumbs Up 2

A lot of people are noting how expressive Sonic's eyes are now.

I can't wait until his eyes get that expressive in a video game.

+1 to the Sonic Movie.

I'd also like to point out how pointless the white strip between his eyes is. It only makes his eyes look like the mono-eye when he's got a determined look, but since he probably won't have it often it just doesn't need to be there.

So Tyson Hesse was the main guy behind this new design! That's pretty cool.

EDIT: Tyson just tweeted this, hehe.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 2

It's great Tyson Hesse was able to turn this around. But holy fuck I'll never understand why. There was never a good reason for Sonic to look so bad in the first place. The design that we've ended up with is basically just usual game Sonic design except with blue arms and separated eyes. He's got also got fur, realistic shoes and his proportions are different so that he doesn't look totally out of place in a live action film. Its basically what everyone was saying they should have done from day 1.

Hesse did a great job talking some sense into the film makers. The film makers are clearly incompetent though, and I think anyone with a lick of sense about them could have made Movie Sonic resemble Game Sonic and not look like an abomination.

• Thumbs Up 5

He also confirmed they worked on the redesign after the first trailer backlash, but it wasn't finished of course. Fine, now I feel bad for even thinking it was a conspiracy plot to get more viewers.

This is really a movie of comebacks. It's a comeback for the redesign case, a comeback for Sonic with the obligatory "he hasn't been good for years bla bla bla" and of course a comeback for Jim Carrey on the big screen!

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

All hail Team Mania. If only Tyson could be the next game's art and character direction.

All Hail (and RIP) Team Archie. Sega needs to poach more talent from the comic book side of the house.

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Hesse did a great job talking some sense into the film makers. The film makers are clearly incompetent though, and I think anyone with a lick of sense about them could have made Movie Sonic resemble Game Sonic and not look like an abomination.

I always get on Sonic Teams case for their seeming lack of beta testers and/or misguided focus groups... but Jeez Paramount, who green lit that first monstrosity. It looks even worse now via proxy.

The trailer currently reached 16-17 mln views in 8 hours across YouTube and Twitter. Not bad... It's still trending worldwide in both medias and fighting with Disney for spotlight.

Can we appreciate how incredible it is that Sonic is competing with Disney for the spotlight in 2019? It's like the story of how Sonic was more popular than Mickey Mouse is repeating itself once again. Nostalgic.

• My Emmerdoods 2

19 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I always get on Sonic Teams case for their seeming lack of beta testers and/or misguided focus groups... but Jeez Paramount, who green lit that first monstrosity. It looks even worse now via proxy.

I've been seeing this same sentiment prop up a lot today around the web and it's honestly making me laugh. Laugh in agreement, mind.

So many people putting the two designs up side by side and sharing the same thought process in utter disbelief.

"No, there's absolutely no way the one on the left was the old design. I don't remember it looking this bad!"

"Good grief, the old movie Sonic design looks even worse now in retrospect."

"How on earth did the original design ever get approved?"

And honestly...

ejkwhdhwoaibiid8fj8t.jpg

bed1f189d3cca947b98b0f23f083a76d.jpg

1ceca37bb6f75a934f3de7fbfcd16480.png

EJMNUltUYAAUox-.jpgEJMNUlqUEAEjW94.jpg

...can you really blame them?

• Thumbs Up 9

Dear Christ, it looks worse when you put it side by side, holy shit. Absolutely barf. I can not BELIEVE a human being with eyes approved that shit. I CAN'T. Even the "easy cash grab" argument don't stick because nobody would pay a single cent to watch that... I mean, almost nobody...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

I still don't care for the design at all but I appreciate the work Hesse and the animators put into salvaging what they can.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its actually got me legit curious about seeing more of the old model in motion. You could probably make a pretty penny by including some stuff as a DVD extra.

I seriously can't imagine half the visual gags in the new trailer even working with the old design. It wouldn't look right twirling nunchaku or even in a batting stance. What with those tiny hands and all.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

Dear Christ, it looks worse when you put it side by side, holy shit. Absolutely barf. I can not BELIEVE a human being with eyes approved that shit. I CAN'T. 

Plot twist: that monstrous design was approved by old movie Sonic himself. Complete with teeth. I can't imagine otherwise.