Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Well, when the first trailer was released I posted this at the end of the day.

Today... well shoot, this is nothing short of one of the biggest turnarounds I've ever seen.

better.png

I'm not going to say that Paramount nor Sega directly deserve this accolade. As many have said just today, it shouldn't have been that bad to begin with. Though, honestly, this trailer is indeed a substantial improvement and does demonstrate that, at the very least, multiple people on the team do indeed wish this movie well. It's a shift that I honestly haven't seen before and is actually quite refreshing if I'm being honest.

My more negative thoughts on the base movie aside, this change, this moment... it's pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't really care too much about the Eggman dancing thing as a standalone concept.  Namely, because when he does, it's usually pretty self-aware about it and the cringe is part of the joke.  But in the context of numerous other by-the-books and cliche trailer fodder, it just comes across as even more cringey than it otherwise might have.

• Thumbs Up 2

Should've stuck with the original design. Now the movie's just going to be regular bad instead of comically bad.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Should've stuck with the original design. Now the movie's just going to be regular bad instead of comically bad.

If the new design actually made people want to see this movie, then they only made the right move.

If it's really got that generic movie set-up people say it has, then even with that old look it wouldn't have lasted.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I 100% stand by the Eggman dancing scene. It's not like Robotnik dancing is unprecedented in this franchise:

jEc0s4w.gif

qiMtu4.gif

829.gif 

Eggman has a storied history of getting his groove on, and Jim Carrey is merely continuing that tradition.

Its funny that people are complaining about this now when back in 06 everyone was complaining that Eggman was too serious. The movie does seems to be hitting on the low side of pg13 though, which I guess is to be expected at this point. Hopefully they don't make it into too much of a kids movie though. I think part of it is just them wanting to step back and laugh at themselves a little after having come back from the previous trailer. Good effort though, hopefully the silliness doesn't saturate the film or undermine the serious scenes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never thought I’d say this, but this actually might be decent to watch.

Not gonna lie, some of Sonic’s antics legit made me laugh, like him running to the Rubber Ball Expo and back like it was nothing. Now that was definitely Sonic.

Probably won’t be on the same league as Detective Pikachu, but Paramount definitely implemented criticism well after the initial reveal.

And as inaccurate as Jim Carey’s Robotnik is, it says a lot that he’ll likely sell the role anyway just by his acting alone.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Sonic's design. It is Sonic, and the eye separation doesn't bother me because his face is expressive, you can tell it's Sonic, and he's not the abomination that we got before. Ungh, that face from the original design still haunts me. 

Given the fact that this trailer has actually given me hope, and I love the direction they went with it, I'm actually excited to see this. It makes me double happy because I don't have to drag my husband to something Sonic related. LOL.

Also, I don't really understand the negativity behind the blue arms. I mean, it seems like the movie model is going more off of the Sonic Boom design, which I didn't mind really. The blue arms and set of eyes aren't deal breakers for me, it's him actually having the right silhouete and proportions, which they've managed to do here. Sonic looks like Sonic, that's the big thing here. 

He looks adorable, fuzzy, and I could just hug him! There is probably going to be some fine tuning on his design before the final release to fix any CGI hiccups, but as it stands I am OK with this. 

As for Jim Carrey as Eggman, this is questionable for me just because it looks like he's '90s era Jimming it up ... I'll reserve judgment for another trailer and the movie itself. It'll be better to see if most of his 'hamming' comes from being in contact with Sonic's quill or if it's a character flaw. Time will tell. 

Yeah, it appears to be a generic plot but again it looks like there's been some deletions and additions, and some minor tweaks. Overall the presentation does stand a chance and also Sonic being an alien isn't far fetched just because his original cannon is he's an alien so ... Yeah, no biggie there either. 

I'm more hopeful, and that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to this. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So, I watched the trailer. It look fun and good. Sonic look way better now. 

Anyway, does anybody noticed the similarities between the poster and the leak from last month?

Spoiler

EJLYyaOU8AEE2g_.jpg EJLYyaOUcAAtGZG.jpg

Also, Build-A-Bear Workshop posted this. Sounds like we are going to get Movie Sonic plushies?

• Thumbs Up 2

Definitely a HUGE improvement over the previous trailer all around. With Carrey's signature acting and Sonic's better look, this is looking like an okay time!

Also, I honestly loved the Carrey Eggman dancing bit; its in his character imo.

(Plus Eggman's always emitted that kind of unexplainable majesty lol.)

NGD1GRS.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I just wanna know the backstory of Sonic. What happened to the whole "Baby Sonic" thing. Sonic came to Earth as an adult 

IIRC at least one of the trailers has shown Sonic taking a portal to earth at more or less their current age - so guessing they either scrapped that as a concept or it was never a thing to begin with? Admittedly my memory's a little hazy on the original source of that suggestion.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I just wanna know the backstory of Sonic. What happened to the whole "Baby Sonic" thing. Sonic came to Earth as an adult 

Maybe the scene in Green Hill is actually at the end of the movie, and he's going back to Earth for a visit. Just misleading trailer cutting.

It's confusing. The beginning of the trailer in Green Hill is clearly the 'Gotta go fast' scene' from the first trailer, and when Sonic does the slide in Green Hill it's the same as the one in Egypt. In one trailer he says he leaves as people are after his powers, in the UK trailer he says he comes to Earth to save his own world? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely remember rumors of Sonic being raised by an owl. We even had a shot of a storyboard panel depicting said owl at some point.

I don't know how far into production rewrites can practically go, but it's entirely possible for them to have changed a few things since the test screenings the Reddit leaks originated from. Those screenings usually happen to help the filmmakers figure out what does and doesn't work, so I wouldn't be surprised if the final movie doesn't 100% match the leaks.

Then again, they could be purposefully be keeping that part of the plot a secret. Whether they're actually pulling that on us is anyone's guess.

44 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

IIRC at least one of the trailers has shown Sonic taking a portal to earth at more or less their current age - so guessing they either scrapped that as a concept or it was never a thing to begin with? Admittedly my memory's a little hazy on the original source of that suggestion.

Uhhh that would suck :( I really liked the concept of Sonic being sent to Earth by his parents as a baby to escape whatever terrible conditions are happening in his home world. It adds depth and emotional resonance to his backstory.. It reminded me of Superman's origin and the Archie comics 

36 minutes ago, Stasis said:

It's confusing. The beginning of the trailer in Green Hill is clearly the 'Gotta go fast' scene' from the first trailer, and when Sonic does the slide in Green Hill it's the same as the one in Egypt. In one trailer he says he leaves as people are after his powers, in the UK trailer he says he comes to Earth to save his own world? 

I noticed that too 

5 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

New picture: 

spacer.png

I don't have high hopes for the film itself, but at least Sonic looks fantastic now. At least it will be watchable. I'll see it just to get a glimpse at Green Hill on the big screen. 

That's some attitude. I like it.

I wonder if SEGA "pushed" Tyson to Paramount or they contacted him themselves, because he was the right guy without a shadow of doubt.

So, it’s seems that Jack in the Box will take part in promoting the movie. I was expecting Sonic or McDonald’s. Oh well.

Not the first time.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 2

This Sonic the Hedgehog isn't too used to danger.

Develop into that face, become a character.

Gain attitude, fuse those eye balls together.

Don't know if anyone saw already, but the main Paramount trailer has over 10,000,000 views in just a day and over 600,000 likes.  Not a bad start for a single day. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

The amount of fun twitter is having is retroactively making me have more fun too. 

And apparently, all the dancing scene needed for me was a change in music.

Ah.

I think I may be having fun now. 

• Thumbs Up 1