Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Adventure 2 is also not that good when it's put under a modern microscope. Hilariously, the critics of then praised the mixed gameplay style, while today that would be panned.

The 5th anniversary title, 3D blast, met mixed reviews.

I remain convinced they don't care for anniversaries other than as marketing ploys. And that's exactly why I'm terrified about this film being rushed to meet a symbolic date rather than letting it get the time it needs.

I thought Van confirmed that the Sonic movie wasn't going to be the "X character going to the real world" movie plot cliche in this topic, no less so I don't understand why people are so concerned about this part. Heck,the PG-13 rating kind of de-confirms this movie trope and the reason behind it is probably a bigger emphasis on action so more of that kickass Unleashed opening for everyone on the big screen. I'm still optimistic about this movie and I have good faith on Van and his co-writer(?) to provide a strong story and script for the movie.

It's gonna be New York city, isn't it?

Of course not!

Now, EMPIRE City....

That we don't even have a teaser yet has me assured we probably aren't seeing this for a while.

If nothing else that should allow time for a quality product.

Wasn't Riders 15th Anniversary, that wasn't that great either. Like Sly says tho, Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper are tough competition, especially with the quality of the animation and the loyalty to the original story and concept. Also, it may not be CGI in the same respect as Ratchet etc but there is the Warcraft movie being released in 2016 too, that's gunna be a big one, it's even been moved into the blockbuster date lineup, plus again it has the main lore creators and Blizzard with a big slice of the control, another one following the proper franchise story and lore.

If Sonic deviates or has some half baked origin that mixes things up again like Boom and strays from the original Japanese concepts its gunna get torn to pieces by the critics and the gaming community.

I thought Van confirmed that the Sonic movie wasn't going to be the "X character going to the real world" movie plot cliche in this topic, no less so I don't understand why people are so concerned about this part. Heck,the PG-13 rating kind of de-confirms this movie trope and the reason behind it is probably a bigger emphasis on action so more of that kickass Unleashed opening for everyone on the big screen. I'm still optimistic about this movie and I have good faith on Van and his co-writer(?) to provide a strong story and script for the movie.

Well, you also have to keep in mind that executives could change their mind at any time, and this is Sony Films we're talking about. For whatever reason they can snap their fingers and tell the writers to make it a Smurfs type of movie, and the writers would have no choice but to do so. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just glad they seem to have learned their lesson on that one. Or at the very least one creative mind wasn't happy with how it turned out. The news that the upcoming Smurf movie is going to be following the comics more faithfully, and will be set entirely in the Smurfs world, and won't have any link to the last two, was a nice and very welcomed surprise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hang on a minute, what if "hedge-dog" isn't a typo....they're not going to make a rapper to appeal to the "hip young children" are they...? 

Hang on a minute, what if "hedge-dog" isn't a typo....they're not going to make a rapper to appeal to the "hip young children" are they...? 

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm just glad they seem to have learned their lesson on that one. Or at the very least one creative mind wasn't happy with how it turned out. The news that the upcoming Smurf movie is going to be following the comics more faithfully, and will be set entirely in the Smurfs world, and won't have any link to the last two, was a nice and very welcomed surprise.

Ah, that's good then. Perhaps this movie will be good after all if the executives play it smart like this.

Also let's remember the latest Sony leak for a moment, Sega isn't just licencing the Sonic property, they're putting half the money and that means they have a say on the direction of the movie, but just as I hope Sony doesn't have a Smurfs movie in mind Sega doesn't have a Sonic Colors/Lost World kind of story in mind either, then again Van Robichaux and Evan Susser seem like a way better choices to write it than Pontac and Graff so fingers crossed.

It's gonna take the info we're missing at the moment i.e. plot and screenshots before I can make an informed decision, but as it stands now the CGI/Live Action formula in other movies have gone awry plenty of times for me to become skeptical about the way it is used. 

It's gonna take the info we're missing at the moment i.e. plot and screenshots before I can make an informed decision, but as it stands now the CGI/Live Action formula in other movies have gone awry plenty of times for me to become skeptical about the way it is used. 

Same here, I really don't see the point of having a live-action Sonic movie, I mean what's wrong with CGI? I guess Sega haven't given up the "what if Sonic were real" idea have they. 

I'm still hoping that instead of another cliche plot where characters from another world are sent to the human world (NEW YORK CITY!), the reason why it's a CGI/live action movie is because while the characters themselves are animated, the rest of the world is real with no humans in sight! Think Walking with Dinosaurs 3D, which used a mixture of real life locations and CGI dinos.

But like I said, I hope so. Otherwise there's a slim chance this is going to be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know I thought about that possibility too. Having the live action portions being the backgrounds/ environments and having the rest fully animated. For some reason, I still feel iffy about that too. I just don't see it mixing well at all. 

http://www.marza.com/en/works/demo-reels

Marza Animation Planet has updated their website (I think?)

Lots of great stuff to look at, didn't know they did Miku stuff and feudal japan arcade stuff.

Oh 'allo, so it was Marza who did (some of) CG models for Mario Kart 8. Kinda cool, considering they're a part of SEGA.

Oh 'allo, so it was Marza who did (some of) CG models for Mario Kart 8. Kinda cool, considering they're a part of SEGA.

Well they are pretty much Sega, since they spun off Sega's internal CG team. Sega had CGI since NiGHTS Into Dreams, Naoto Oshimas last role in a Sonic game was leading CGI in Sonic Adventure.

http://www.marza.com/en/works/demo-reels

Marza Animation Planet has updated their website (I think?)

Lots of great stuff to look at, didn't know they did Miku stuff and feudal japan arcade stuff.

Good reel, bit then again, I love anything Marza does.

(I just wanna see footage on Robodog already, surely there should be SOMETHING fully animated by now.

Do you guys think Sega will show something at Joyopolis this June 20? Or reveal some info at least?

Do you guys think Sega will show something at Joyopolis this June 20? Or reveal some info at least?

If they were going to reveal anything big, they'd probably do it at a trade show.

It's unfortunate really, given a lot of the "save everything big for trade shows" is obsolete as a marketing concept with the rise of the internet. SEGA could tip a small Sonic site off to something and it would still spread like wildfire to all the big sites given a few days in all likelihood.

A troublesome thought just came to mind. I think it's obvious this movie will be released in 2016. It's the 25th Anniversary, and Sega will want the movie to coincide with that date, whether it be June 2016 or December 2016, I think it's clear they want it released sometime that year.

So, as of now, there's been NO casting news whatsoever, not even word of a director. Van is still working on the script, and who knows when they will start shooting the live-action scenes. And we're almost halfway through 2015 right now.

So, when does the animation part come in? I don't think they will even start animation until they have all the live-action scenes shot,  (that way the real world scenes will sync up with the animation)

I fear Marza will be rushed by Sega to hurry up with the animation so the movie will coincide with the 2016 date, which could mean the animation might not be up to par.

I want this movie to look fantastic. Like, Amazing Spider-Man level of special effects.

I say it again. I don't think this movie will come out in 2016. I would be still surprised if it does.

A troublesome thought just came to mind. I think it's obvious this movie will be released in 2016. It's the 25th Anniversary, and Sega will want the movie to coincide with that date, whether it be June 2016 or December 2016, I think it's clear they want it released sometime that year.

So, as of now, there's been NO casting news whatsoever, not even word of a director. Van is still working on the script, and who knows when they will start shooting the live-action scenes. And we're almost halfway through 2015 right now.

So, when does the animation part come in? I don't think they will even start animation until they have all the live-action scenes shot,  (that way the real world scenes will sync up with the animation)

I fear Marza will be rushed by Sega to hurry up with the animation so the movie will coincide with the 2016 date, which could mean the animation might not be up to par.

I want this movie to look fantastic. Like, Amazing Spider-Man level of special effects.