Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic looks much better. The comparisons are genuinely shocking, in how they ever thought the original was a good idea. I guess I forgot just how bad it was.

The trailer itself is alright. I'm still leaning toward not seeing it in theaters, but we'll see how I feel when the time comes.

• Thumbs Up 1

As others have said, this trailer looks better and Sonic's design is 1000x improved. It didn't look polished in some scenes, but I hope there is still time to tweak. 

The thing that really gets me is seeing Green Hill Zone. It just makes me yearn more for a movie actually set in Sonic's world. The movie leads me to believe that there are two Green Hills, two Hill Tops, etc. - one in each dimension. But the Green Hill in Sonic's world looks nothing like the Green Hill on Earth. 🤯

I'd be cool seeing Chemical Plant again if it meant it got that Green Hill treatment.

Also live-action Tails drowning in the pink water.

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The amount of fun twitter is having is retroactively making me have more fun too.

I must admit, even as someone who's not really interested in the film itself, seeing those entertaining responses on Twitter has put a big, fat smile on my face.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Also live-action Tails drowning in the pink water.

I'd rather see them doing it the Sonic Boom - Rise of Lyric way: as soon as he touches the water, he drops dead going "BLRGHBLRLBR!".

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

I'd rather see them doing it the Sonic Boom - Rise of Lyric way: as soon as he touches the water, he drops dead going "BLRGHBLRLBR!".

So what you’re saying is live action Tails should be Nigel Thornberry?

yeah sure, I dig it

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Drowning in a kids movie?

Now that's just asking for too much, he'd probably just disappear.

Well they did the stole child in a bag joke. lol

Anyway, I know about the generic plot, I'm ehh too about it, you know what… maybe you are right and the Green Hill scene may be at the end of the movie and the trailer might play us, I think Sonic growing up on Earth is part of the story so… yeah, it's gonna happen, and I'm glad because it's an origin story, although the gloves and the shoes… weren't they supposed to be part of his design later? Because when he meets Tom, he at least has the gloves, I'm really confused at this point.

More important news: after almost 24 hours, the trailer achieved 35 million views across 3 videos (2 on YouTube and 1 on Twitter), through various accounts sharing the same video plus the One Media video. And it's still top trending on YouTube Worldwide as well as in my country which usually snobs Sonic. And the like ratio is overwhelmingly positive. Woah. They did it, it's definitely a success and I can see this movie making a lot of money for how big the buzz is.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

All you're ultimately achieving is convincing them to make more of the thing you clearly never liked, never would have liked and never will like, and it's a trap the fanbase has already fallen for in the games for the better part of a decade and a half. And if you had anything resembling a spine and a sense of impulse control, you'd start voting with your wallet so people high up actually have an incentive to get their shit together.

To be honest, that's the story of every fandom in existence. New entry in franchise seems crappy, most people pay for it anyway for whatever reason, pissing off people who don't support new entry and actually want improvements to happen.

Just now, Tangled Jack said:

More important news: after almost 24 hours, the trailer achieved 35 million views across 3 videos (2 on YouTube and 1 on Twitter), through various accounts sharing the same video plus the One Media video. And it's still top trending on YouTube Worldwide as well as in my country which usually snobs Sonic. And the like ratio is overwhelmingly positive. Woah. They did it, it's definitely a success and I can see this movie making a lot of money for how big the buzz is.

Didn't the initial trailer got the same ammount of views, the same media covering, the same buzz around, but for complete different reasons? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

Didn't the initial trailer got the same ammount of views, the same media covering, the same buzz around, but for complete different reasons? 🤔

Yeah, the fact that Paramount deleted it shows they are embarassed, as they should be. Still it was a negative success, but people like a good story, bad movie turns into a good movie (maybe) in six months, maybe that's how they will watch it? Not saying it's a Conspiracy, it clearly isn't, besides the confirmation by Hesse.

That said I dunno how Sonic manages to be so popular, most people don't care for the games, but everyone now seems excited and cares for the movie. It's Sonic's big time on the big screen, that's probably how everyone sees it, including me.

42 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I know you're excited, but dude you might want to temper your expectations of this movie's performance just a bit. The Sonic trailer back in April went viral because of how bad it was, and this new trailer has gone viral because of what a turnaround it is. Something going viral like this quite rarely translates into longevity and success though. Don't mistake the film's current buzz for anything other viral internet trends. All of the reactions that we're seeing at the moment are knee-jerks. And although the movie likely will perform considerably better now that it's generating good press and a positive buzz, the odds at the box office are still against it. The hype is going to rapidly decline, and it is probably going to follow in the footsteps of most video game adaptations.

Detective Pikachu went from strength to strength in its pre-release and got good enough reception from critics, but it still grossed only the second highest sum of all video game movies (behind Warcraft) and didn't get a remarkable net profit ($431 million gross on a $150 million budget). And this is Pokémon, one of the biggest brands in the world across all media forms. Pokémon is the second best selling game franchise of all time, behind only Mario. Sonic, by comparison, is the 14th best selling game.

I'm not saying the Sonic movie will be a commercial flop. I'm not saying you're wrong to be excited. I'm saying cool it, try to be rational and don't set your expectations too high.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far we've had check out the mess and check out the fix, I don't know how well the attention will translate into ticket sales but I expect this will have course corrected enough to break even maybe make a small profit.

We'll start getting a better idea of where it might land at the domestic box office in late December when it hits long range tracking.

But that is how most movies gather sales, and how we know what box office results we're expecting, for example Terminator didn't get many views and attention… and in fact it bombed hard, even though it's Terminator, there wasn't anticipation for the film. Plus Sonic will not get much competition during its release, Kingsman? Barely heard about it, Birds of Prey? Harley Quinn and her actress Robbie are the only appealing thing about it, but the views are so few currently, I'm basing my predictions on that, the buzz, that's how most box office predictions work. 

Still, I'm gonna take the suggestion and lower my expectations, it will not be a Blockbuster, that's for sure, never said that. But people like a good story, "design bad - > movie delayed - > improvements and movie good???" Maybe… not saying it was done on purpose.

Do you think it will make more than the Pikachu movie whichmade half a billion?

2 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Kingsman? Barely heard about it, Birds of Prey? Harley Quinn and her actress Robbie are the only appealing thing about it

The thing is these two movies are more for an older audience (and Kingsman is as amazing as violent).

The Sonic movie is meant mainly for kids and their parents. Not much competition here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just realised the dancing Eggman scene is one of the ones definitely from before the retooling, IIRC - there was an unreleased trailer shown only to comic con which showed off Eggman scenes and cutting to him dancing to the theme of Everybody Dance Now.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, batson said:

So Conan O'Brien just did a skit about the whole Sonic redesign debacle. It's not a very good skit, but it's amusing how this whole story became big enough to attract attention even from the most mainstream of media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iubz5wBk2LA

The same thing happened with the initial design and Stephen Colbert talked about it.

Also Arby's is at it again:

• Thumbs Up 2

It cannot be overstated how much of a boon Tyson Hesse has been to this franchise.

He's done an extraordinary amount of good work to direct and improve the overall quality of output from it, assisting in the games, comics, animations and now the movie.

Tempted to say he's the MVP of the last 5 or so years.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's absolutely awesome to see so much positivity for this movie now across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. It really is crazy how much it's turned around. I love it!

And I definitely think lessons will have been learned for any sequels, should this one be a success (which I'm now pretty sure it will be). Let's hope we get to see more zones on the big screen in high budget movie CG in future.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I won't lie the trailer did a better job at presenting itself compared to the first one. Visually Sonic looks great and it's amazing how much of a 180 they did with his design. The action scenes also look like they're gonna be a treat so the film has that going for it.

However the story itself still looks bad so I'm most likely gonna skip it and wait for it to pop on Netflix or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi all! I'm new here, but I've been lurking for quite some time. With the Movie's new trailer and all though, I just had to join up here. I have so much to say!

First things first, the design. I don't know about everyone else, but this just became one of my all-time favorite Sonic designs. You have the proportions, the cartoony style, the expressiveness, the realism, everything balanced to blend perfectly into a live action movie! The realistic details mix with the colorful cartoony visage we all know to form one of the best animated video game to live action movie adaptions I've ever seen, right up there with Detective Pikachu in my book.

Next we have the trailer itself. The first trailer didn't "feel" like a Sonic movie at all, the slow, suspenseful tone, the slow music, the offbeat humor, none of it matched the character and franchise the movie was based off of. It was literally too slow and lacked the energy you'd expect fom Sonic the Hedgehog.  Now, we get the new trailer and it's a COMPLETE 180! It's super upbeat, fast paced and full of energy and visual wonder that makes my inner child squeal in joy! The view of Mobius and Green Hill Zone just took my breath away when I first saw the trailer! The tone is also a lot more lighthearted and fun, Sonic's personality is portrayed perfectly with great writing and delivery (Kudos to Ben Schwartz for another great Sonic portrayal to add to the list!), he gets along great with the cop dude and his unfamiliar surroundings exactly like you'd expect from Sonic himself, and he even has a serious heroic movie when he stares down his nemesis and resolutely states that he'll use his power to protect his friends.  That's some Sonic Adventure 2 level of writing right there! Jim Carrey's Robotnik was the only highlight of the original trailer and the only good part IMO, and now in the new trailer, that goodness is cranked up to mind blowing awesomeness. I must say that if anyone could ever portray Eggman in live action, it would be Mike Pollock or Jim Carrey. Jim's signature hamming just really puts Robotnik's character into a character that hardly looks like him! He's like a living cartoon that lives up to the video game Robotnik, and we haven't even seem him go full Eggman yet! That little moment of him rocking out in his secret base was absolute ART! That girly scream when he saw Sonic just made me bust out laughing! I can say that even with everything else cranked up to 11 in improvements, Robotnik is still gonna be one of the film's biggest highlights, with Sonic himself now being the other major highlight, as it should have been in the first place.

Finally, I'd like to express my hearfelt gratitude towards Jeff Fowler, Paramount and the development team of the Sonic movie. You've made this Genesis Era Sonic Fan cry tears of joy from seeing how much LOVE was put into his character, and having you guys hear our voices. Not a lot of filmmakers nowadays take criticism to heart whether it's genuine or not and even fewer filmmakers ever acknowledge their mistakes and fix them like you did. You've given me hope for the future and inspired me that anything can be fixed if you do it for the ones you care about. And I know that you care about us all for you to give us this great gift. You guys are heroes.

Overall, the trailer was one of the best moments in my life so far and gave me hope that no matter what, Sonic will live on and continue through ups and downs ("how are you not dead? I have no idea!", even they know what's up) and will always have a bright future even through hiccups, because if something like Old Movie Sonic can become this masterpiece, who knows what the future holds? I don't know, but here's hoping we all enjoy it together!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1