Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Emerald Chaos said:

Tempted to say he's the MVP of the last 5 or so years.

Either him or Whitehead... T. Lopes ain't too far off either.

I think I'd give the edge to Hesse due to him being involved in so many mediums. He's gone from the comics, to the games and now a full on Movie. There ain't much left of this franchise he hasn't touched yet. I guess we just need to get him on board with a new series TV pilot episode and his bingo card will be completely filled in lol

1 hour ago, Sonario said:

"how are you not dead? I have no idea!", even they know what's up)

Ah, we need a gif of that scene. Its practical usage is through the roof.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know I just realised Sonic either stole money from Tom or straight up stole from a gift shop.

That's sort of in line with how the writers wanted to interpret Sonic: a juvenile teen acting out, same with that infamous "legs" teaser poster with the graffiti. I don't particularly... care for that sort of personality for him, but I wonder if they'll give him a sort of character arc where he matures by the end of the film. That'd be an instance where I could accept him behaving like that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, it's turned out that Marza is still involved in the movie, despite rumors about them no longer being involved. So, that's good that they are still in.:

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well, it's turned out that Marza is still involved in the movie, despite rumors about them no longer being involved. So, that's good that they are still in.:

Well of course they are! I knew it the moment I saw the Green Hill Zone in the opening scene. Only they could do it justice to that level with their CGI. Reminds me of the Mario and Sonic Olympics openings. They're just great at bringing our favorite cartoony things to life with glorious spectacle.

Knowing that Marza is involved is a fantastic thing, honestly. Not only does this mean we can see them in their prime when it comes to animating Sonic, but it could raise awareness in regards to their talents that might result in them having more internationally released films down the line.

Japan can't hog all that Sonic-y, Lupin-y goodness all to themselves, like come on. 

Maybe it could result in an eventual Smurfs: The Lost Village-esque reboot with them at the helm, you'll never know.

Might as well through my thoughts on the trailer. Despite me still having my reservations with the premise, which is still a honestly pretty bad concept, this new trailer really gives me a lot more hope for the movie. Sonic has a more defined personality, being that of an overly excitable, curious child but with the same amount of attitude we expect from him. It's an interesting take on the character which we haven't seen in a while, honestly. And the new design, which... wow, is absolutely fantastic and no doubt one of my favorite looks on Sonic yet just embodies that excitable mentality as well.

The humor is more on-point as well, because if you HAVE to force Sonic on this buddy road trip comedy, it has to be funny all around and not just when Eggman is involved. This trailer shows that off much better than the original.

So yeah, my hopes have gone considerably high for this one. Still not even close to what I believe is the ideal Sonic movie, but this does seem to be at the very least, a decently fun time at the theater. And I can only hope box office numbers and the overall reception this movie leaves both before and after release could encourage Paramount to have a bit more ambition going forward.

• Thumbs Up 3

38 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

Japan can't hog all that Sonic-y, Lupin-y goodness all to themselves, like come on.

I'm pretty sure that the Lupin film that is hitting Japan in December is at least also hitting Spain and Italy in early 2020. If it performs well, we might get a full western release.

The head guy over at Marza is on record about his desire for western audiences to embrace this film so they can expand and make a few more. So here is hoping.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Didn't they create Lah

They were the group that made Night of the Werehog if that's what your asking.

Marza itself is a company that is a spin-off of Sega's in-house CG art studio. They basically got so good at what they do, they decided to make a company out of it and go down the specialization route.

6 hours ago, Emerald Chaos said:

It cannot be overstated how much of a boon Tyson Hesse has been to this franchise.

He's done an extraordinary amount of good work to direct and improve the overall quality of output from it, assisting in the games, comics, animations and now the movie.

Tempted to say he's the MVP of the last 5 or so years.

He is. He's like taking every front (art related, of course). I wonder if Paramount called him personally or SEGA of America "send" him to the rescue. 

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

They were the group that made Night of the Werehog if that's what your asking.

Marza itself is a company that is a spin-off of Sega's in-house CG art studio. They basically got so good at what they do, they decided to make a company out of it and go down the specialization route.

I follow them on twitter and they have been posting a lot of pictures of her recently. Did not know if she belongs to Sega or Marza. Either way id love to see more of her one day

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I follow them on twitter and they have been posting a lot of pictures of her recently. Did not know if she belongs to Sega or Marza. Either way id love to see more of her one day

Marza still falls under the Sega umbrella (and they both fall under Sammy-Sega) so Lah probably belongs to both of them lol

At the very least, the other two ghosts made an appearance in the Sonic Unleashed game, and Lah herself was allowed to appear on at least 1 cover back in the Archie days, so the copyright is likely in-house and not an issue.

That ghosty is a personal favorite of mine. I've drawn her for Halloween the last 3 years running. (Also probably why Marza has been posting a few pics of her lately ^^)

I wonder if Marza would sneak any Night of the Werehog Easter eggs into the movie... that'd be a treat.

Wow. I think that's the fastest turnaround in reception I've seen from this franchise since Classic Sonic shoved his chubby little face into Forces' reveal trailer. And this time it's actually a positive change!

While I've never been opposed to the film being live-action, I can't say I'm thrilled with the fish-out-of-water angle or the segregation of "Mobius" and Earth. I've always felt the franchise works best when it just rolls with its weirdness and doesn't try too hard to explain it (Within reason of course; Black Knight wouldn't be nearly as awesome if it tried to ignore the King Arthur angle or was constantly being self-aware about it, but Lost World still needs to tell me, at least in a general sense, what a "Lost Hex" is and why stopping the Deadly Six involves a detour to Doughnut Dimension). Still after this new trailer I'm willing to give the movie a chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, from that trailer, the movie still doesn't exactly look...good, but I honestly might watch it anyway, because it doesn't look unwatchably bad. As for the design, it's pretty good I guess - about as good as it can be considering what they're going for. This movie really, really shouldn't have been live action with a semi-realistic Sonic to begin with, but since that's the angle they unfortunately chose, this Sonic design is decent considering those constraints.

• Thumbs Up 2

Figured I would pop in and say I was impressed with how much of a turn around they did with Sonic's design. Even if we old farts won't like the typical anthropomorphic character with a human side-kick story, I'm sure kids will appreciate it. It also might have some nice looking action sequences. I'm not going to see it, but I'm hoping people like it.

Also I started on one of the first pages and saw a comment of mine on here from two years ago. Crazy how time flies isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

I must say, I had doubts about going the Sonic X route since day one, but I'm glad at how they're managing to do this so well! Something about it being live action just gives it that Roger Rabbit charm to the contrast of a cartoony Sonic and a real live humans. As for Robotnik, they picked one of the most cartoony live action performers ever, so great call with Jim Carrey playing him. If anyone could do it, it would be him or Mike Pollock. Also, one difference from Sonic X I'm seeing in this one is that more attention is given to Sonic's nature as Sonic than his social time with the human. More attention is given to the Fish part than the Out Of Water part. I love how they're progressing so far and I'm sure if the whole movie's like the trailer, this will become my 2nd most favorite video game movie!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah I'm a Sonic X fan as well, having grown up with that, so… I may enjoy the premise, Tom seems harmless at best, unlike Chris the hogger, seems like Sonic really is the protagonist here.

But what's up with this film's plot? Are they rewriting it (impossible…) or keeping it a secret? Well, it's not a big thing like Endgame or Rise of Skywalker, I don't see why they are being so precious… actually, what I mean is what is it with the differences from the supposedly leaked plot from Reddit? They were right about various scenes details, so I'm gonna say they were real, but… Sonic's backstory??? It seems completely different in the trailer, it contradicts what is in the AMA, and I doubt the trailer is misleading 'cause it seems pretty clear, Sonic is in Green Hill, escapes as an adult, meets Tom in Green Hills Town, he starts with gloves and final shoes… what happened to his backstory on Earth? I'm still confused… I really want this to be an origin story, and not some static "Sonic remains the same for the entire film".

2 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I doubt the trailer is misleading 'cause it seems pretty clear, Sonic is in Green Hill, escapes as an adult

Movie happens, Green Hill warp is the last scene before credits and corn field is connected to earlier warping.

Or around the world warping has a Green Hill section.

Or the leak was accurate but things have changed since then it does happen with movies.

I looked up at an article about the original leak… and the plot is still there, spoilers for the supposed plot:

Spoiler

Sonic escapes his home planet when he is a baby as someone (???) wants to steal his powers, imagines a place and the warp ring leads him to our world, lives with an owl mother who dies, then grows up alone in a random place, he is known as the "blue devil" by locals, then meets Tom and Annie, decides to go with them because they are kind to animals. They need to gather Sonic's rings he hid in the past, while racing against Robotnik, who works with the military only at the beginning, and wants to capture the blue blur. So they go to San Francisco and there they use warp rings to go other places in the world, looking for rings and being chased by the Doctor, who has his own agenda of world domination and plans to betray the government obviously, and progressively goes mad. Sonic starts off as lonely and insecure, a solo guy and then progressively, like Robotnik, becomes his game self, rocking his shoes and gloves later.

It's still there, but apparently all of this happens with Sonic's final design throughout the full movie? What? Doesn't make much sense, so you are right, either they changed bits of the plot, removing some cool scenes where he goes full Sonic mode, or I dunno...

I think they didn't just change the design. They changed other stuff.

I mean, is Tom still a cop? The first trailer had Sonic screaming when Tom found him. This new trailer shows Sonic holding a ring and then screaming.

Regarding those shoes:

Turns out we're getting a different design.

Edit:

EJV45KBVAAEgsCM?format=jpg&name=small

EJV45KEUEAESz5f?format=jpg&name=small

Was sorta reminded of the time Nike unintentionally made a Sonic reference lol

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

After re-watching the trailer multiple times, I noticed something. The electrical spark (Joke intended) they gave to Sonic's character, well Sonic's Not putting it off everytime he goes fast (even doing so while standing still). So I'm now kind of curious as to why he does at times, but not at others. This is probably something that we'll find out about later on though.

22 hours ago, Whispering Ultima said:

Regarding those shoes:

Turns out we're getting a different design.

My disappointment is immeasurable.

On the bright side of things, the memes that have been coming from this trailer have been nothing short of amazing:

I might take the time to compile them together at some point. Some of these are seriously impressive!

Spoiler

(shameless plug)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4

On 11/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, Blueknight V2.0 said:

After re-watching the trailer multiple times, I noticed something. The electrical spark (Joke intended) they gave to Sonic's character, well Sonic's Not putting it off everytime he goes fast (even doing so while standing still). So I'm now kind of curious as to why he does at times, but not at others. This is probably something that we'll find out about later on though.

I think its a reference to the invincibility sparkles from the classic games. It only happens when he is "powered up" if that makes any sense.

• Thumbs Up 1