Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

In theory they might still establish what his life is like before heading to Earth, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they don't. (There's also the possibility the leak back then wasn't true? I don't remember if there was any indication of it's legitimacy either way.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually agree with Peter. Jim Carrey's Robotnik is getting criticism for being different, but in reality he simply gradually becomes Eggman from the games, we know that from the end of the first trailer, that hasn't changed. So why not Sonic too? He can gradually become Sonic, as part of his origin story, I liked that idea, the owl, being raised on Earth alone, misguided and lonely, not-confident until he finds purpose, a friend and becomes more like Sonic from the games, it was a new thing, not perfect but still something different, and I do love origin stories, it has never been done before with Sonic. I'm just a bit disappointed, because the actual movie plot will be lacking if they drop the character arc, and even power-ups like gloves and shoes he was supposed to get later. Eh. I wanted this to be a prequel to the games, it was interesting as an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd point out that Naka and Co. envisioned Sonic as a punky "cool-cat" character but whatever, it'd not like Iizuka and Co. ever cared about their intentions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Celestia said:

In theory they might still establish what his life is like before heading to Earth, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they don't. (There's also the possibility the leak back then wasn't true? I don't remember if there was any indication of it's legitimacy either way.)

Pretty sure it was, someone from production even shared a storyboard drawing showing baby Sonic next to a big mama owl.

Retarded, that story was. And hopefully, gone it is.

I wonder if Sonic's planet/world locations are mirrowed with planet Earth, seeing he came from Green Hill to Green Hillthrough the portal. Apparently one of Sonic's powers is creating these portals, in the Great Wall of China scene you can see that Sonic is carrying a bag full of portal rings. 

Also, why did he asked if The Rock is president still puzzles me. That would imply that Sonic lived on Earth before and knew who The Rock was, then came back to his world, lived a few more years there, and THEN, came back to Earth yet again. 

I mean, that joke wasn't even funny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As expected, Two-Worlds brought in excess baggage.

It would be so much easier if they just followed Naka's word (which is that Sonic came from Oceania and his adventures started on a fantastic Christmas Island with him not meeting large populations of humans until he heads for a mainland).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the trailers just cut it in a way that makes it seem like he's referencing someone from our world immediately after arriving, when in reality it's from a later scene.

The clip where he says it has him in the baseball field if I remember correctly, so I assume it's part of the baseball scene where he apparently knocks out power in the nearby areas while goofing off. I might be wrong and that's from another scene too, and he actually just injures himself some other way, but still. The point is he probably references the Rock after being on Earth for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I actually agree with Peter. Jim Carrey's Robotnik is getting criticism for being different, but in reality he simply gradually becomes Eggman from the games, we know that from the end of the first trailer, that hasn't changed. So why not Sonic too? He can gradually become Sonic, as part of his origin story, I liked that idea, the owl, being raised on Earth alone, misguided and lonely, not-confident until he finds purpose, a friend and becomes more like Sonic from the games, it was a new thing, not perfect but still something different, and I do love origin stories, it has never been done before with Sonic. I'm just a bit disappointed, because the actual movie plot will be lacking if they drop the character arc, and even power-ups like gloves and shoes he was supposed to get later. Eh. I wanted this to be a prequel to the games, it was interesting as an idea.

Precisely this. It's a fresh take on existing material. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the writers expressing creative liberty and crafting their own version of the character as long as the key traits are present, which they were. And it was supposed to be an origin, we were supposed to see an evolution in the story; to see how he evolves into something more familiar to us. That, to me, is much more exciting from a story prospect because it's been a very long time since Sonic has had any sort of growth or emotional depth. It sounds like they were trying to craft a well-rounded, emotional journey for him to go on (I heard his powers were even tied to his emotions) and it would be a shame to lose that in the name of being closer to an inconsistent canon that doesn't even agree with itself (The Two-worlds concept). 

 

Accuracy to the source material should never impede on the merits of great storytelling. A good movie is what's gonna be the deciding factor for most people, not whether Sonic grew up on Mobius(?) Instead of Earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, we were originally going to get that?

We still might even if it was cut from the movie some unfinished work could be part of the deleted scenes on the home release or and perhaps more likely there's concept art for it that could be released one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Not sure where this came from. I think Tyson confirmed that we won’t see his feet anymore. So, we were originally going to get that?

spacer.png

Thank God.

And by God, I mean Tyson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting to see the full movie, but clearly some things have changed here, besides the design, we'll see if it's 100% good or has collateral effects.  I hope they haven't gone full fanservice mode, I mean, a story has to have emotion, progression, and fresh new things. As long as there is all that, I will be okay, which now I'll be waiting to judge but I'm definitely worried. One thing is redesigning Sonic to listen to fans, something else if you change half the movie story getting rid of the good stuff that makes it... an actual story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Well... Movie Sonic isn't really shorter then Modern Sonic, I think him just having thicker limbs gives you that impression. Movie Sonic's head, hands & feet are smaller along with thicker limbs & torso... if anything this makes movie Sonic feel fairly taller looking then Modern Sonic when compared side by side.

cHcnreI.png

Ah that's a good point. I guess when I've looked at him in the movie posters and promos he's looked a little shorter. Especially the one in which Carrey-robotnik is standing in the background.

Anyway its not as if Modern is excessively tall either, I think I mentioned that. The only model that was really way too tall was 2006 Sonic, that was too much. My biggest issue with Modern is the huge hands and feet but it's not major. Overall I think it's a good design for 3D and dont mind it staying, although if SEGA suddenly decided they want to alter it a bit to make it slightly shorter or what have you I would probably be for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, poor little studio, I hope they can recover from that. C'mon, Peter. It was Paramount's own fault. They deliberately made Sonic a freak and thought we would buy it. They're reaping what they sow. Changing Sonic's design to please the fans was nice and all, but it's something they could've avoided from the beginning if they had an inch of good sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Almar said:

As expected, Two-Worlds brought in excess baggage.

It would be so much easier if they just followed Naka's word (which is that Sonic came from Oceania and his adventures started on a fantastic Christmas Island with him not meeting large populations of humans until he heads for a mainland).

This will also be the first time we see it in action, as most of the time it was just restricting certain things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Not sure where this came from. I think Tyson confirmed that we won’t see his feet anymore. So, we were originally going to get that?

spacer.png

Good lord, that would actually make the old version a legit terrifying horror movie! I really want to see what they would have made out of sheer morbid curiousity, they might have even surpassed Deviantart and Rule 34 artists if they went that route! (until fanart of it inevitably upped the ante further)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

https://www.gamebyte.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-redesign-cost-paramount-millions/

 

I hope the movie is a huge success. It sends a shockwave message throughout the entire industry that listening to fans can lead to a positive outcome 

So, they've made it even more difficult for it to break-even. I'm curious how they decided the redesign would be worth the movie possibly doing badly even with it.

5 hours ago, Sonario said:

Good lord, that would actually make the old version a legit terrifying horror movie! I really want to see what they would have made out of sheer morbid curiousity, they might have even surpassed Deviantart and Rule 34 artists if they went that route! (until fanart of it inevitably upped the ante further)

It'd just be normal human feet but blue and furry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Razule said:

So, they've made it even more difficult for it to break-even. I'm curious how they decided the redesign would be worth the movie possibly doing badly even with it.

Even if it doesn't hit break even it could be an upgrade from disaster to disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear they weren't finished with the design, it was still work in progress so they didn't have the whole thing animated yet, thankfully. But stuff like Green Hill scene was added later, definitely, so they must have changed the plot a bit "on my planet they were after my powers". Who? 

Also, I don't buy that the trailer was all they had because they filmed the full thing last year, Ben probably did more voice work later when the redesign came, but no way the trailer was all they had, it's just a guess IMO, because the movie was coming in November, they had few months to finish it, now they have had… since the delay up to February… uhm, 9 months to change stuff including plot details? I think so. Also, they obviously added the nods to the games later, well, they had more time, but also wanted to please the fans more, meanwhile the first trailer didn't look like it wanted to appeal to fans AT ALL.

Btw, I rewatched the new one, I'm in love with Sonic's personality, reminds me a bit of Tangle who is supposed to be Sonic's variant of excessive and hyperactive character, but it still fits Sonic, and frankly way better than the lazy bored Sonic from Boom, or the sleepy guy from X.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Naka and Co. envisioned Sonic to be a laid-back punk who's still a bonafide hero. Him being sleepy when not at work or traveling suits him just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Also, I don't buy that the trailer was all they had because they filmed the full thing last year

All they had finished to a point where it was presentable as a trailer, the rest of the movie would still have had placeholder vfx and a more basic Sonic model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.