Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Math isn't my forte, but I think Paramount is not gonna revert this situation. Surely I certainly don't represent the majority of people, but even with the new design I'm still not paying 30 bucks to watch this. The things I knew prior to this trailer and of course, that other trailer, did a great damage.

IF, I had only seem this new trailer (and that was THE FIRST AND ONLY trailer for this film) I would at least want to check it out during a week day when the ticket is cheaper.

Unless Tyson had his hand on more than the redesign, we're still gonna get a cheap 'Hollywood-adapts-a-videogame' story and gringe jokes here and there (arguibly less terrifying).

Paramount took the wrong turn too soon.

So how do you think this movie will perform critically? I'm very very unsure about everything. There's seems to be some level of good humor. The jokes that I laughed the most at were the child abduction joke and the scene where Robotnik gets punched in the face by Tom. Otherwise, most of the jokes are just...okay. Nothing hysterical. There probably will be some funny scenes here and there, but considering the trailers don't have phenomenal humor, I'm assuming the movie itself also isn't particularly intriguing with its comedy. I could be wrong though. It's also good to keep in mind that this isn't actually an action movie. It is currently being called an adventure comedy, but it may have action moments (like the scenes where Sonic fights Robotnik obviously).

I kind of like how Sonic acts pretty much like a Looney Tunes character and how cartoonishly quick he is with his speed. It kind of gave me more of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit vibe rather than an Alvin & The Chipmunks vibe. There also seems to be some sort of enthusiastically naive childish charisma in Sonic that we've never seen before. I could imagine (if executed correctly), Sonic's lead up from loneliness to desperate need of a friend for help involving Tom, could actually end up being very interesting.

The most I'm hoping for is an alright harmless family film like Detective Pikachu or Bumblebee, however, unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked if the movie ended up getting bad reception if it constantly pushes below average humor and bland/generic character development. I'm seriously hoping I'm wrong though, and I pray that it pulls off a Dora or a Teen Titans GO! To The Movies.

A lot of people seem to be against the idea of having an only decent Sonic family film. While yeah, I'd much rather have an amazing Sonic movie, I'm perfectly fine with Sonic's first theatrical debut just being alright rather than mediocre or full on bad. I think a Sonic Boom movie has potential.

4 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

So how do you think this movie will perform critically?

Somewhere in the middleground , not brilliant or dire just ok the 40-60 range.

Also I think any conversation we have about critical or box office expectations is mostly going to be a conversion of our personal hype.

I've been seeing that "make sure to support this since it cost a lot and they listened to criticism" tweet going around a lot, and I just wanna remind people: don't go see the movie if you don't think it's gonna be good. If you thought the creepy Sonic was the only bad thing about the first trailer, you're good. But nobody should feel obligated to monetarily support a studio just because of a change that should never have needed to happen in the first place, made to a film that is still fundamentally flawed. The multi-billion dollar film studio and holdings company that own it are not going to be bullied by your actions either way.

My problem with stuff like that is how unnecessary it is.

Anybody who only complained about the design of Sonic the Hedgehog was probably gonna go see it anyway after the change, I doubt they even needed convincing. So comments like that only exist to try and persuade people who actually had other complaints with what they've seen to go see the movie.

The new design looks so good (in comparison to what was before it anyway). It's so weird to think that if the outrage was far smaller it could've been Weird-Alien-Sonic on merchandise instead of Normal-Sonic-But-Furry.

19 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Jesus christ! Your theaters cost that much!?

And that's just the price of a single ticket, I'm not counting popcorn and soda, that would be an extra 20 bucks. Shit's expensive here... So yeah, I only watch movies in theaters when I reaaaaaaaaaaaally want or know it's worth it.

2 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

^The first picture looks like a person inside a bad costume with spikes made of paper. Uh...

You say that now, but back then a lot of people would defend that with their lifes :V

2 hours ago, Jango said:

You say that now, but back then a lot of people would defend that with their lifes :V

I would probably do it, truth be told, because that design would have been the only hope for a good Sonic movie at that point, I would still secretly hate it lol. At this point, I don't hate what I've seen, I'm a bit worried that they may have sacrificed Sonic's origin and progression through the movie to make him more like the games from the start. I at least hope he has a character arc, the one good thing to come out of this would be having no horrifying Baby Sonic, but let's be honest, I can see people finding that cute and buying all merch of it, these days.

I was reading the can’t moments on TailsChannel’s report on this, and one guy had this to say: 

sienduk is a famous russian comedic animator/abridged series VA/shitposter I'm pretty sure it's his own edit as nobody would call him for castings due to his political satire in the past.”

11 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found some more from the Russia dub testing..:

EKQylAPXsAEaujG.png

holy toledo it was even worse my word how can people even come up with this good gravy this is enough to make someone sick how what why

If they had to sacrifice the mama owl origin story, you can be damn sure I'm OK with it. You gotta play safe with some stuff. You don't change Peter Parker's spider bite origin story. Sonic is a blue hedgehog that runs fast. That's it. The other humans in the game don't question it, why should we? Sonic is a hero, he's carefree and sometimes reckless, but his heart is the right place. People wanna see that, not a new story for the sake of it. They should absolutely take the Spider-man Homecoming approach with this and skip the origin story. Give us Sonic action and attitude, not some bullshit alien tale FFS. People know Sonic already.

Okay, I don't want to not have Sonic be Sonic, I just want a good story arc too, he is still Sonic in more than half the movie, the possible sequels, etc. Why can't we have a good Sonic and a good plot progression?