Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

On 11/26/2019 at 6:58 AM, CaptainRobo said:

Found some more from the Russia dub testing..:

EKQylAPXsAEaujG.png

Well, it sure is good to know that the Sonic movie is taking comedic inspiration from such timeless hits as Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007).

(also, that design still looks horrible, even if closer to Sonic’s proper design than the finished original trailer version. This design was just cursed without Hesse to save it).

44 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

If rumours are to be believed, then little more than was shown in the trailer was actually completed. I think that there was another trailer shown behind closed doors, so there's that I guess. I'd really like to see the rest of the material with the original trailer design too, if for no reason other than morbid curiosity. 

The second trailer behind closed doors was one focused on Eggman. We know the context from leaks, originally we had the garbage first trailer set to Gangster’s Paradise, then a “hijacked” trailer focusing on Eggman as he dances to Everybody Dance Now. It’s knowledge of this second trailer that makes it likely that at the very least, the dance scene with Eggman was definitely in the original, instead of the seemingly retooled version.

So any CG there likely would’ve been Eggman’s mechs, or scenes with Tom. It’s possible there was more, because seemingly the reason we didn’t see the Eggman trailer was due to the overwhelming negative reaction to the first Gangster’s Paradise trailer. So the question is how much Sonic was in it and how much of an effect it has on the confirmed 5 million to retool the design.

We know of one more potential version, which was the test footage shown off in Brazil, and supposedly had people claiming Sonic was accurate to his game design, and cute, (this being before Gangster’s Paradise trailer releasing, and before Hesse did a redesign), so the question remains is if they saw the original design (and if so, how the hell they could say it was identical to the game design) or potentially this leaked WIP, which while still awful, looks at least slightly better in comparison to the Gangster’s Paradise version.

• Thumbs Up 2

Someone on Reddit ran the rest of the Russian script through Google Translate. This is seemingly the whole thing in the image.

So, here are some new details on the redesign.:

Spoiler

Max Schneider, an Argentinian animator who worked on both the old and new Sonic design, plus some other big budget movies like Cats gave to Sonic Team Argentina some interesting tidbits about the movie redesign process. The interview only puts the bullet points, not the whole dialogue they had, so we are going to show you the most interesting bits.

Sonic new design took 5 months to be made, since they had most part of the movie finished with the older design.

At first, Paramount was fully on board with the older design, as they were looking for a more realistic approach for Sonic, one that could be able to fit better with a live action setting, in a similar way as Ninja Turtles or Transformers did.

They were pretty confident that fans would dislike it, but regular public would like it, like they did with ninja turtles or transformers so they went ahead with it. When the trailer came put and the public opinion was overwhelming negative all alarms went off.

Paramount Movie team had a huge meeting with Sega of America and quickly decided to change Sonic Model. Max also said our 5$ Million budget increase report is the closest to the real costs of the redesign, instead of what other sites had said.

There was no crunch on artists or animators, either.

About the redesign process, he said that work started with Sonic’s head. They put both movie design and games Modern Sonic heads side by side on a screen, to see what they could touch up to make them more similar. Last thing they changed was Sonic’s shoes.

The process included a complete redesign of Sonic, making a new rig, and then animate it all over again.

There are some recycled animations, but most of it is new. The animator also pointed out that the design and animation teams are completely separate and independant to each other, so they (the animators) only followed the producers and director wishes and had no say in the design. Design team dont either, they just follow orders too.

Last, but not least, Max said that the movie works really well, and that there are several easter eggs and interesting things for the fans to look for.

Source: https://sonicteamargentina.blogspot.com/2019/11/resideno-de-sonic-nota-especial.html

Oh, apparently, there is a soundtrack leak which it might be fake.:

The list of the songs are these.:

Spoiler

Junkie XL Overture
Untitled Score 1
Green Day - American Idiot (barfight scene)
Untitled Score 2 (campfire scene)
Britney Spears - Toxic
Michael Jackson - Speed Demon
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Around The World
Riff Raff Untitled

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

At first, Paramount was fully on board with the older design, as they were looking for a more realistic approach for Sonic, one that could be able to fit better with a live action setting, in a similar way as Ninja Turtles or Transformers did.

They were pretty confident that fans would dislike it, but regular public would like it, like they did with ninja turtles or transformers so they went ahead with it. When the trailer came put and the public opinion was overwhelming negative all alarms went off.

Thats the exact attitude I expected to have created this situation, It does generally work out well for them.

• Absolutely 1

7 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

They were pretty confident that fans would dislike it, but regular public would like it, like they did with ninja turtles or transformers so they went ahead with it.

That's confirmation enough for me that they don't want my money.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, it's the opposite of what some people thought: they are masterminds and this is a Conspiracy… nope, they are just dumb and paid for it, although the redesign didn't cost much, they had to delay the thing. I'm glad there was apparently no pressure. I think Tim Miller is the responsible for the original design eh.

It doesn't talk about plot changes but I suspect there are various, for better or for worse...

To be fair, the mentality of "we need to appeal to a wider audience than just the existing fans" is the driving force between many character redesigns. Characters like Sonic are designed for specific markets, and the appeal of such character designs obviously change with times. At this moment, live action and realistic reboots of animated franchises are in, and Sonic's design is old. That's both why the film is live action and why Sonic got a drastic redesign.

This film has never been about providing something good that fans and the general public can enjoy alike, it's about creating what's going to be most profitable. Paramount initially thought that a realistic Sonic would be most popular, so they went ahead with giving him a human body, a human face and did away with the cartoon aspects of his design. Only when it transpired that they were grossly mistaken about anyone liking the design did they decide to change it.

They don't want money from anyone in communities such as this one, because we're tiny. They want money from everyone outside it.

• Thumbs Up 5

30 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

They don't want money from anyone in communities such as this one, because we're tiny.

Speculative correction they assume that for all the complaining fans do a good portion will still pay to see the film anyway.

50 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Speculative correction they assume that for all the complaining fans do a good portion will still pay to see the film anyway.

That's not untrue, but I really don't think that's it's much of a factor at all. The amount of people who are Sonic fans (meaning that they have more than just a passing interest in some aspect of the series), will be teeny-tiny when protected against the rest of the general public who could potentially see the movie.

As far as Paramount is concerned: If existing Sonic fans pay to see the movie, good. And if they don't, it doesn't matter because they'll have hardly any influence on the profits compared to what they're expecting from the average Joe.

EDIT: And actually, part of it will be the idea of distancing Sonic the Movie from everything else Sonic. Paramount will essentially have been trying to reinvent Sonic and maintain as much of a hold over the franchise as possible. That requires a fair bit of disassociation.

>general public liked the 2014 Turtle designs.

uhhh, no. They didn’t. It was widely mocked by a lot of people, and then the second movie tried to redesign them to be some kind of in between of the 2014 designs and standard designs.

That is so tone deaf, it’s not even funny.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

That's not untrue, but I really don't think that's it's much of a factor at all. The amount of people who are Sonic fans (meaning that they have more than just a passing interest in some aspect of the series), will be teeny-tiny when protected against the rest of the general public who could potentially see the movie.

As far as Paramount is concerned: If existing Sonic fans pay to see the movie, good. And if they don't, it doesn't matter because they'll have hardly any influence on the profits compared to what they're expecting from the average Joe.

EDIT: And actually, part of it will be the idea of distancing Sonic the Movie from everything else Sonic. Paramount will essentially have been trying to reinvent Sonic and maintain as much of a hold over the franchise as possible. That requires a fair bit of disassociation.

And this is what I've been trying to communicate all along. It's crazy how Paramount's rationale is EXACTLY what I've been saying it would be for the past 2 years.

This movie was made to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. The average schmoe who played Sonic when he was younger and the kids and family audiences are the main demographics and they are the ones who will carry the box-office. Sonic fans make up such a tiny percentage of whom is going to see the movie and Paramount was under the impression that most of them would see it regardless. What happened though, waa that the targeted demographic rejected Sonics design so forcefully that it spooked the execs into bringing him back to the little blue furball that we all know and love. 

This Is what they do, this is how their minds work. They wanted to appeal to the general audience, they rejected the movie forcing them to change 

53 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And this is what I've been trying to communicate all along. It's crazy how Paramount's rationale is EXACTLY what I've been saying it would be for the past 2 years.

This movie was made to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. The average schmoe who played Sonic when he was younger and the kids and family audiences are the main demographics and they are the ones who will carry the box-office. Sonic fans make up such a tiny percentage of whom is going to see the movie and Paramount was under the impression that most of them would see it regardless. What happened though, waa that the targeted demographic rejected Sonics design so forcefully that it spooked the execs into bringing him back to the little blue furball that we all know and love. 

This Is what they do, this is how their minds work. They wanted to appeal to the general audience, they rejected the movie forcing them to change 

Everyone, not just the target demographic, rejected the design so hard that they had to significantly delay the movie to fix a problem that was created out of their own stupidity. They cost them somewhere in the region of $5million.

Paramount shot themselves in the foot trying to redesign Sonic. Had they not been so arrogant and pig-headed in the first place, they wouldn't have wasted so much time and money fixing something that nobody outside the board room wanted to see. It's a prime example of the fact that a more faithful and straightforward adaptation is what the audience want, whoever they are.

The film still has to contend with the strange premise of "what if Sonic was real and came to Earth to team up with a random police officer?". I've argued that the character of Tom is probably going to help the film to be somewhat palatable to older viewers, although the questions of the who the film is for who will enjoy it still stand. In order to reach a wide audience, it wasn't essential for the film to discard everything from the established franchise.

They got the design hideously wrong and realised their mistake so late that it cost them millions to fix. I can only guess what else they've gotten wrong and won't be able to fix. The trailers sure don't look like they're from a good film regardless of Sonic's design.

• Thumbs Up 5

So Paramount unironically thought people would like this design and only fans would hate it? So they're basically saying they don't care about fans. Explains everything about this film and shows its not being made by the right people
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I'm just a little weird, but I kind of thought the challenge to taking an existing IP and selling it beyond it's typical market was to show that it can appeal to more than just the typical demographic. From what I see here the producers never believed that out of the gate and as I surmised to begin with had no faith in their product, the audience, or their movie team to make a movie that could sell the product beyond the normal demographic. It was, and was always intended to be a faithless adaption using a brand name to generate word of mouth that would attract the curious. That it has gotten as far as it has is kind of proof of how well that tactic works, but it hurts to see this done to a franchise I'm a lot more invested in than others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never understood the thought process behind weirdo dimwitted outsourced studios/companies/whatever-folk who assume automatically they need to change everything about a popular media after they get their grubby hands on it in order to sell it better to a imaginary general public in their mind. If something was already popular/iconic then isn't it fairly obvious there is a reason for that popularity and is counterproductive to haphazardly change it into a different product that barely resembles what it was based on? if the media in question already has a big fanbase... then isn't it safe to assume enough other people can like it also without a absurd random overhaul if you give them the chance? But no, they let their ego, paranoia & gimmicky trends guide them in life and believe fans & casuals are fully different species who can't possibility enjoy the same type of content ever despite often having no proper evidence to backup those misguided thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 8

Looks like Paramount didn't want anyone to know that info in that interview. Tssz got hit with the same thing and took down their article.

Though said info must've spread already so they're too late.

Has to be the fans would dislike it bit. We're about 2 months away from interviews that will have everyone saying it was the fans they listened to and you don't want contradicting information destroying the narrative.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2019 at 6:47 AM, Blue Blood said:

To be fair, the mentality of "we need to appeal to a wider audience than just the existing fans" is the driving force between many character redesigns. Characters like Sonic are designed for specific markets, and the appeal of such character designs obviously change with times. At this moment, live action and realistic reboots of animated franchises are in, and Sonic's design is old. That's both why the film is live action and why Sonic got a drastic redesign.

This film has never been about providing something good that fans and the general public can enjoy alike, it's about creating what's going to be most profitable. Paramount initially thought that a realistic Sonic would be most popular, so they went ahead with giving him a human body, a human face and did away with the cartoon aspects of his design. Only when it transpired that they were grossly mistaken about anyone liking the design did they decide to change it.

They don't want money from anyone in communities such as this one, because we're tiny. They want money from everyone outside it.

Well, yeah, realistic live actions are in right now, but they could've done without massacrating the poor creature, I mean, look at Detective Pikachu and the design Tyson helped to create. Not to mention, Sonic's design, pretty much like Pikachu's, is kinda of universal, his classic form at least. Simple colors and shapes. Easy-peasy. But no. They had to put it in a blender before rendering... I really would LOVE to hear about the """""""""creative"""""""""" process of that first design. How did they got to that. I don't need nor want to see the whole movie with the old design like Yuji Naka (lol why?), but at least know the story behind it would be... Interesting.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Well, yeah, realistic live actions are in right now, but they could've done without massacrating the poor creature, I mean, look at Detective Pikachu and the design Tyson helped to create. Not to mention, Sonic's design, pretty much like Pikachu's, is kinda of universal, his classic form at least. Simple colors and shapes. Easy-peasy. But no. They had to put it in a blender before rendering... I really would LOVE to hear about the """""""""creative"""""""""" process of that first design. How did they got to that. I don't need nor want to see the whole movie with the old design like Yuji Naka (lol why?), but at least know the story behind it would be... Interesting.

Exactly. I'm only trying to explain their choices, not saying that they were good choices. The were bad choices.

sonic-live-action-movie.jpg

Very bad choices.

• Chuckle 3
  • Fist Bump 1

On 11/28/2019 at 10:45 AM, PeterPancake said:

And we've been arguing for the past two years that it's a BAD rationale.  I'm not sure what you think this changes?

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't think it's bad that Sonic fans are a tiny percentage of the target audience in all honesty. I've had that mindset since they announced the movie. It surprises me when people say they want a full on Sonic movie that feels exactly like the original property (I'm not talking about the design of the character). The dialect and tone in the Sonic games would not work in a feature length theatrical film, and they definitely NEED to aim at general audiences, otherwise it would fail both critically and in box office.

Video game movies are essentially reboots or remakes.

6 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I don't think it's bad that Sonic fans are a tiny percentage of the target audience in all honesty. I've had that mindset since they announced the movie. It surprises me when people say they want a full on Sonic movie that feels exactly like the original property (I'm not talking about the design of the character). The dialect and tone in the Sonic games would not work in a feature length theatrical film, and they definitely NEED to aim at general audiences, otherwise it would fail both critically and in box office.

Video game movies are essentially reboots or remakes.

How on earth does this translate into giving Sonic a filthy redesign?

• Thumbs Up 1