Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

2 hours ago, Wittymations said:

While I'd be down, that's just unlikely to happen. Sonic, lately, has been focusing on the rather unfunny comedy stuff, in the cases of the latest titles (bar Forces, maybe? I really didn't bother with it once Infinite was revealed) and they also would probably prefer to step away from the darker stuff due to Shadow and 06 flopping. I mean, it's been over 10 years, and it still feels like they're apologizing. Again, Forces probably tried, but it didn't do well either.

Plus, comedy is easier to drag your kids to a cinema and watch. I imagine they feel they have a bigger audience there. I mean, keep it animated and kids would watch action adventure all day. But that's probably part of the comedy mindset.

But let's pretend they'd be willing: As for an Eggman ruled world similar to the Archie setting, I'd love that. Problem is, I don't feel that's best for a movie. Something where Eggman rules the planet would be a looooong story to tell with a lot of fights. Make it a series.

For a movie, you'd want it closer to SA2 in terms of pace and tone. It's a race for victory, with constant accomplishments and setbacks -- and some twists like "You thought you could trick me with that fake emerald." SA2 had some pretty decent pacing.

If you wanted to focus more on the protagonist, SA1's example is also decent. It constantly built up Chaos. You could have a build up for Eggman's planning there.

Getting off subject a tad.

If this film did well, it'd really just encourage more of the same cliche cartoony character in the real world trope that's been done I have no idea how many times. But this time it has Tails. Personally, I suspect it's going to do about as well as most other live-action/animation hybrids: Enough to make a profit, not enough to be noteworthy.

Well, you could establish some of that backstory in exposition. But you'd have to make sure the information is relayed to the audience in the least intrusive way possible.  If you're burrowing from Archie then you could streamline some elements of the backstory so make it easier digestible. 

For instance-- You could start the movie showing Sonic's father  and mother engaged in the Great War (Jules and Bernadette) with hundreds of other Mobians. Seemingly sacrificing their lives for Sonic. Before their death, we see them recording a message for Sonic (about what he is, taking inspiration from the movie, Sonic has special powers). > Cut to black. The movie could then jump ahead to a young Sonic with his uncle Chuck. Playing tag with a young Tails. We establish two things here: We see here that young Sonic is still discovering his power and that Tails is his best friend since early childhood. Heck, you could even make them brothers. Tails being an orphan like Sonic whom Uncle chuck brought in to raise. 

Maybe Chuck warns Sonic not to go into the forbidden Zone (for good reason) they go being dumb kids and as they are discovered by some guards, we get our second action sequence and our first taste of what Sonic can REALLY do as he accidently goes super sonic speed for the first time in a desperate attempt to escape the Robots (Tails in arms). They barely make it back home, Chuck scolds a crying Sonic and we jump ahead 5 years later to a 15 year old Sonic doing some immature, rebellious thing. Like maybe stealing some rings from a vendor and running from the guards. Something to establish Sonic's personality more firmly and also show the "Before" picture before his character arc...  Mudhoney's 'Touch Me I'm Sick' would be a good tone establisher for this sequence

To summarize, Chuck is captured, Sonic and Tails are homeless orphans again and they are taken to whatver Mobius' equivalent to a foster care system is where they meet Amy Rose. They escape. We now have introduced Amy and given Sonic his dramatic need in the story -- to rescue Uncle Chuck. This need will eventually turn into needing to save the world from Robotnik as he discovers who he truly is over the course of the movie (We meet his roboticized parents in an emotional revelation to Sonic)

Just some ideas I had

29 minutes ago, Almar said:

Be Honest: What actually makes the movie Sonic any more interesting, compelling, or less of a bad character than the Sonic we have in the games currently?

Writing, direction and voice acting. It works for both games and movies. The character will act accordingly to what is writen in the script and the animation director will follow the voice acting and tone of the scene. Is that simple. What could make movie Sonic more interesting than game Sonic is the writing. The voice actor will have to act to whatever material the writers gave him. If the scene has Sonic and Tom going to a bar to play dards, that's the stuff they (the VA and the animators) will have to work with. Since Sonic actually looks like Sonic now, the comparison people could be making is whether or not they like Roger Craig's take better than Ben Schwartz's, and to be fully honest, I find myself kinda tired of Roger.

If we're talking about animation, I'd say the movie looks a hell of a lot better than the latest game, Sonic Forces. It's not as good as Sonic Unleashed tho', in my opinion.

That interview about Sonic's redesign that Paramount have been trying to wipe off the face of the internet said that the shoes were the last part changed about his design. So maybe this render is a small look-in at the almost-final design?

His shoes does even look bad there. They're just boring.

Yeah, that's likely just a placeholder render. I wonder if the combo is just that or there's something else.

Cinemark got burned reeeeal bad here in Brazil last week, one of their Star Wars combos caused huge commotion because of the absurd price. The combo in question is a R2-D2 replica with popcorn and soda inside (you can check it here). It looks pretty well made and all, but they're selling it for $470BRL, which is around $111 dollars. With $470 bucks you can watch the movie 14 times, just to give you an idea.

Well, this Sonic combo looks pretty simple, so I doubt it will cost too much, unless this bucket has more than meets the eye.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:24 PM, Almar said:

Be Honest: What actually makes the movie Sonic any more interesting, compelling, or less of a bad character than the Sonic we have in the games currently?

Heh.. I actually like the sonic in the games as he doesn't look like some odd fuzzy animal trying to be Sonic the Hedgehog. Movie sonic looks bad -still- AND he's not as cool. He's inmature and just comes off as trying WAY too hard. Game Sonic or normal sonic or SONIC himself is just fine. I can't pinpoint the thing but there's a difference and movie sonic has a LONG way to go in looks and persona.

If anyone wants, I think I can compromise myself to translate something from Portuguese to English during this CCXP stuff. Just tag me and I'll translate it in quote.

Kinda wish I could be there to bring some stuff for you but life is hurried, the tickets were sold out by the time I knew it was happening and I'm also a bit out of money.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Yep, that’s SF in the background. You can see the Transamerica Pyramid on the left bottom of the poster.

Oh, found this.:

spacer.png
Someone had managed to get the Movie Sonic model.:

spacer.png

That last pic only makes the movie version look that much off to me. Least it's better then the first version but it still a ways off. 

I don't think it looks too alien TBH. I wish we had a way of comparing it with the OLD design. That would be a lesson for prosperity about how to fuck up proportions. But Tyson's design? Looks fairly good.