Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Domino said:

I'm just glad we finally have that kind of structural expressiveness in a CG format for once.

The CGI models already got good expressive eyes, the in-game models are the stiff blonde eyes.

Fair enough, though as expressive as the CG cutscene eyes are, you've gotta admit that stuff like Mania Adventures and the Movie rig are on a whole other level as far as nuanced brow action is concerned.

Is nobody here gonna talk about the pointless random extra spikes on that low poly VR model's backside? Haha!

Spoiler

ELEhdNbWkAE9JcR?format=jpg&name=large

On another note: I notice a LOT of people on twitter saying how much they prefer current Movie Sonic's design over Modern Sonic's design. I think the new Movie Sonic looks nice & whatnot, but I'm not sure why the "bobblehead and stylized cyclops eyes" of modern Sonic actually bothers certain people so much.

10 Spikes instead 8...fridge logic only makes me think that it'd be more inconvenient than it already was for certain things.

Flareon. Extra Flare for the movie.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:07 AM, PeterPancake said:

if I had my way, I'd make a movie that takes inspiration from SATAM and the Archie comics and tell a much more serious story. I feel like Sonic can be so much more than an Alvin and the Chipmunks-esque road trip comedy film. At least in the same league as modern CBMS. 

For one, a story with darker implications. Like totalitarianism and the loss of free will from Roboticization. Man vs. Nature. The value of liberty and the need to never stop moving no matter what. Sonic represents the spirit that drives life, the will to live and be free (from tyranny) while Robotnik represents control and man's corrupting of natural life through industrialism and pollution..

Sigh... Maybe one day..

I'm not getting the movie I wanted either but I hope at least that this movie can do some good for the Sonic franchise and give him the boost he needs in modern pop culture. I'm ready for a return to the Adventure-era of story-driven games myself. Forces I don't count

An animated SatAM movie would more likely happen in comparison to a live action SatAM movie....the fandom largely preferred the jokey Mania over the more serious Forces and even though the comic has that approach and is doing wonderfully, that's a comic and it has a more limited reach.  A movie like this would take influence from the media that has more widespread reach, which is the games...everyone knows Green Hill Zone, Rings and the goofy Robotnik from youtube memes.  IF they're going with the trilogy approach, they'll introduce only Sonic and Robotnik to limit the expenses.  Movies is profitable, they take the standard approach and take influence from the original trilogy of games, introduce Tails in the sequel and an over the top Death Egg leaving a cliffhanger where Jim's Robotnik finds the Floating Island and we introduce Knuckles and the Chaotix for the finale.  I hope we get a good fun story for the first(not Alvin and the Chipmunks level of stupid mind you...Sonic is above that.  Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog, cheap as it was...was above that) and then a little more serious for the sequels.  If Kung Fu Panda showed us anything, it's that your fuzzy hero can be goofy but have serious moments and a great story at the same time.   I think Sonic could fit into that mold.

I feel like an entirely CGi Sonic Boom movie could be hilarious, and something that general audiences could enjoy due to the lack of story arc Boom has. Boom mainly focuses on the charm of its characters, humor, and sometimes action. They had a 4 part episode, and a 2 part season finale that was pretty good at combining those 3 elements. Even if they made a straight to DVD movie/finale of the series, made by the same people who created the show, I'd still be satisfied. Boom was very unappreciated by the network. And they shouldn't have made toys and games until it actually started to get popular. I see extremely popular meme pages post clips of the series, so it appears that a cult following for the show has finally happened, even though the series just ended about 2 years ago. It really needs to come back in some form.

On 12/7/2019 at 11:25 PM, Gamecuber64 said:

I feel like an entirely CGi Sonic Boom movie could be hilarious, and something that general audiences could enjoy due to the lack of story arc Boom has. Boom mainly focuses on the charm of its characters, humor, and sometimes action. They had a 4 part episode, and a 2 part season finale that was pretty good at combining those 3 elements. Even if they made a straight to DVD movie/finale of the series, made by the same people who created the show, I'd still be satisfied. Boom was very unappreciated by the network. And they shouldn't have made toys and games until it actually started to get popular. I see extremely popular meme pages post clips of the series, so it appears that a cult following for the show has finally happened, even though the series just ended about 2 years ago. It really needs to come back in some form.

I agree, while the games were pretty bad in gameplay, story and overall flair, the cartoon was actually one of the better Sonic cartoons IMO. Excellent characterizations for the main crew, interesting setting, decent background characters (minus a select few) and fun plotlines for a cartoon format. Minus a few things like Shadow's bad characterization and those select few characters, I feel it was a good representation of Sonic. It could really use an animated movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is the Japanese version of the Brazilian poster that was shown a few days ago. Notice that the book that Sonic is reading had changed.:

ELQJEi_VUAA9j_W.jpg

Also, there is a QR code that you can used to make Sonic appear. This is what happened if you do it.:

Here is the code if you want to do it. However, you need Facebook to make it happen.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably nothing significant, but I wasn't expecting Sonic to be mentioned at all for The Game Awards, let alone the movie, so....well then. lol

47 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Probably nothing significant, but I wasn't expecting Sonic to be mentioned at all for The Game Awards, let alone the movie, so....well then. lol

Well, maybe they will reveal a movie tie-in game there. I highly doubt it because Sega is working on the next Sonic game which won't be released for a while. Unless, if they have another studio working on it with them publishing it, maybe I could see that happening. I also could see them revealing some more new footage of the movie.

Or maybe they might have Sonic give out awards. Lol.

So far I've got:

A trailer

A clip

A tie in digital and or/mobile game

A person in a costume does a bit on stage

The movie Sonic presents an award as a video link

Maybe a combination of two of those. I never watch it live so I have no idea what expectations to set for how big the advertising will be.

I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this.  I can't believe Ken is bringing up this...wonderful piece of art after all these years considering.

52 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this.  I can't believe Ken is bringing up this...wonderful piece of art after all these years considering.

I thought it was cool...for a time.

>Sonic Live is an example of a fun live-action adventure 

Sonic Live is one of the most infamously bad comics from Archie Sonic, period. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who'd claim even that is better than the movie.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, Domino said:

Man, I didn't quite realize just how janky Sonic's current in-game model looks in the face department until now. His lopsided resting mouth and permanently furrowed brow look so off-putting to me compared to the movie design's more "normal" features.

If you think this model looks bad you should see the Lost World/Forces models.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Sonic Live is one of the most infamously bad comics from Archie Sonic, period. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who'd claim even that is better than the movie.

If anything, the fact that we have that comic is precisely WHY so many people didn't like the concept for the movie in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 6

Always nice to see Penders still screaming "I'M STILL RELEVANT" after all this time.

Cartoon character teams up with live action kids is one of the few things worse than cartoon character teams up with middle-aged white dude.

• Absolutely 1

It’s seem that the movie will have a sweepstakes where you win some prizes. All you needed to do to enter is RT this tweet. However, you have to live in the US if you want to participate.:

These are the ones you could win if you are curious.:

1 Mon, Dec 9 Grand Prize Trip To Premiere Event 1 Round-trip, economy flights for winner and one (1) guest to Los Angeles; Two (2) nights hotel in Hollywood with daily breakfast for two – one room, double occupancy;
Private sedan transfers to/from Los Angeles International airport and Sponsor-selected hotel for winner and one (1) guest. Pre-paid gift card for meals in the amount of $250;
Two (2) Hop-On-Hop-Off Los Angeles tour passes
$25 arcade gift card to local arcade (Dave & Busters or similar). Two (2) passes to the SONIC THE HEDGEHOG premiere/family event.  Travel dates will be: January 24th, 2020 – January 26, 2020. The screening will be on January 25th, 2020.
  $3,450
2 Tue, Dec 10 Personalized Message From Sonic 2 Custom video delivered via email featuring Sonic animation with voiceover message from the Sonic The Hedgehog voice actor. Winners will be asked to provide their name (or the name of the person who the message is for) and a few details about themselves.

$400
3 Wed, Dec 11 Set Of Signed Cast Posters & Spotify Premium Subscription gift card 3 2 signed Sonic The Hedgehog movie posters signed by one or more of Jim Carrey, Ben Schwartz and Tika Sumpter.

$199
4 Thu, Dec 12 SEGA Genesis Mini 4 1 SEGA Genesis Mini videogame system.   $50
5 Fri, Dec 13 VIP Night At The Movies For 5 5 Limo rental for up to 5 hours of transportation within the Territory for up to 5 people, all of whom must be the age of majority.   Must be used by February 16, 2020
A pre-paid Amex card to use on your choice of dining in the amount of $500. Tickets for 5 people to see SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (provided via Fandango code, which expires on March 31, 2020).
  $2,100
6 Sat, Dec 14 Sonic The Hedgehog Movie T-Shirt Set 6 2 Sonic The Hedgehog T-Shirts.   $60
7 Sun, Dec 15 $100 AMC Gift Card 7 $100 AMC Gift Card.   $139
8 Mon, Dec 16 Three Dozen Chili Dogs 8 1 package of 3 dozen hot dogs + chili (shipped frozen within the Territory).   $100
9 Tue, Dec 17 Fandango Ticket Family Four-Pack 9 4 Fandango ticket codes, which expire on March 31, 2020.   $80
10 Wed, Dec 18 Talking Sonic Plush Toy 10 1 Talking Sonic plush toy.   $30
11 Thu, Dec 19 Sonic The Hedgehog Movie Prize Pack 11 Selection of Sonic The Hedgehog branded apparel (1 t-shirt, 1 sweatshirt, 1 pair of socks).   $100
12 Fri, Dec 20 PUMA Prize Pack 12 1 hoodie, 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of shoes or gift card of similar value (in Sponsor’s discretion).  

$120

That sweepstakes page has the first instance of an actual billing block. It's cool that Marza Animation Planet is finally being heavily featured, since before the new trailer came out they were rarely even mentioned. In fact, most thought that Blur Studio completely took over.

spacer.png

Oh look, Takeshi Ito is mentioned. [Night of the Werehog producer]

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoilering this because, well, these might be actual legit spoilers for the movie:

Spoiler

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonicboom13561/status/1204283637346242562

So, someone thought that it'd be a swell idea to look up the copyright records for the film [just checked for myself on the site, it's legit]. And well.. how do I put it.. they discovered a pretty big plot detail?

There's apparently gonna be a secondary villain in this, and I quote, he's "a lizard warrior who wants to steal Sonic's power and use it to conquer the universe".

Oh my lord, lol. I'm trying not to burst into laughter after reading that. God, this movie's getting wilder and wilder by the minute.

• My Emmerdoods 2
  • Absolutely 2

24 minutes ago, Palette said:

Spoilering this because, well, these might be actual legit spoilers for the movie:

I didn't keep up too much with all the leaks and rumors about the plot before hand but...

Spoiler

that doesn't sound even remotely close to anything that has been suggested before.

Also, who knew we'd get the live action debut of the real Ultimate Life Form ahead of that Faker Shadow. lol