Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

45 minutes ago, Palette said:

Spoilering this because, well, these might be actual legit spoilers for the movie:

Reveal hidden contents

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonicboom13561/status/1204283637346242562

So, someone thought that it'd be a swell idea to look up the copyright records for the film [just checked for myself on the site, it's legit]. And well.. how do I put it.. they discovered a pretty big plot detail?

There's apparently gonna be a secondary villain in this, and I quote, he's "a lizard warrior who wants to steal Sonic's power and use it to conquer the universe".

Oh my lord, lol. I'm trying not to burst into laughter after reading that. God, this movie's getting wilder and wilder by the minute.

Have some serious doubts about that being true. The whole story so far has been about being a mundane Earth setting with Sonic being the only thing standing out.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Palette said:

Spoilering this because, well, these might be actual legit spoilers for the movie:

Reveal hidden contents

So, someone thought that it'd be a swell idea to look up the copyright records for the film [just checked for myself on the site, it's legit]. And well.. how do I put it.. they discovered a pretty big plot detail?

There's apparently gonna be a secondary villain in this, and I quote, he's "a lizard warrior who wants to steal Sonic's power and use it to conquer the universe".

Oh my lord, lol. I'm trying not to burst into laughter after reading that. God, this movie's getting wilder and wilder by the minute.

That's interesting 

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Japanese trailer with Movie Sonic's Japanese voice.:

That's not Junichi voicing Sonic at the end, is it?

How awesome would it be after successfully entering Sonic's world for Jim-botnik to proclaim "It worked! That 'hog can't escape me that easily! I am the EGGMAN!!"

On 12/9/2019 at 3:56 AM, Zaysho said:

Always nice to see Penders still screaming "I'M STILL RELEVANT" after all this time.

Yeah, it's not like he could stay relevant by just working on or releasing his own projects.. ...oh wait.

4 hours ago, Palette said:

Hide contents

The only thing that would make sense out of this would be

Spoiler

Chaos? I mean, Sonic said somebody from his world wanted to steal his powers. And they are in fact taking more inspiration from the games with the redesign and with a proper Green Hill setting, so it's possible?

If it's not that, I kind of preferred Owl mom. With that said, if they really added more games stuff, I can definitely expect to see at least

Spoiler

Tails and considering that Eggman has some Sonic fur at the end… Metal Sonic, just to set up a possible sequel.

• Thumbs Up 3

The lizard warrior thing is so riddiculous that if I heard about it before the whole SEGA of America meeting and the redesign, I would've 100% believed such crap could actually be in the movie.

Granted I still 25% believe it could still be in it somewhere 😬

I've always thought it would be cool if the thing Sonic was running from on his world was Chaos. Maybe it is if that's true? He looks vaguely lizardy at times (well, in perfect form at least), especially to anyone unfamiliar with the franchise. A huuuuge stretch I know.

Would be nice though if they set up some cross of Sonic 3 and Adventure as a plot for the sequel, with Knuckles tricked by Robotnik as the villain before teaming up to take on chaos.

This is meaningless speculation though and I am 100% sure that tweeted plot is BS.

Lizard warrior? Makes me think of Sonic in the Fourth Dimension, lol.

Very surprised they aren't using Jun'ichi Kanemaru as the voice in the Japanese version of the movie given my understanding of how Japanese VAs tend to be tied to characters. I suppose that's to further emphasize how this is something separate from SEGA's own stuff and a very different Sonic.

Lizard Warrior? Good lord, it's Lyric all over again. Hoping they stay away from all that loony stuff for now. Just focus on Robotnik, Sonic and Cop Dude.

3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Tails and considering that Eggman has some Sonic fur at the end… Metal Sonic, just to set up a possible sequel.

Now that's something I'd like to see. It'd give the latter a cool origin for the Movie version of him too!

Found this. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheMovie/comments/e8ujcs/my_screening_is_over_d/

Here are some details.:

Spoiler

-Sonic doesn't know he's a Hedgehog (lol)
-More game music appears outside of Green Hill
-SA2 styled truck chase 

-Baby Sonic is still in (kinda)
-It's a HARD PG 
-The scene taking place to coming to Earth was damn sad and lowkey dark 
-Sonic eats his first chili dog in the movie
-Sonic is the main focus of the movie

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

10 years?

So the 5 year old Sonic just decided to come to earth on his own?

Didn't the original leak mention his parents sending him there like Superman?

C'mon, you know people will love this, after you-know-who from Mandalorian… here's everyone's new favorite toddler… Baby Sonic!

If they design him correctly… yeah, he's gonna be adorable.

So I guess they are keeping their "original"/movie exclusive elements for the origin story, good, so we have:

Spoiler

- Mysterious Birth of Sonic with speedy powers, Mama Owl raises him at first

- Lizard Warrior wants to steal his powers on his world

- Baby Sonic is sent to Earth 10 years ago after his mom's death

- Sonic grows up and lives lonely in the hero town "Green Hills", without gloves and with different shoes?

- Meets Tom who gives him his trademark shoes

- Sonic is shy until he gains confidence and becomes his game self

- Robotnik starts out like a Jim Carrey character but then goes nuts and becomes Eggman, gets his official look in the second act

- Government hire Robotnik but he does his own solo thing

- Sonic goes on a world tour to find his rings, that he uses as portals to get to various places

- Truck chase scene happens, yay!

- Sonic vs Robotnik and their growing rivalry, in a race to get the rings

- Sonic and Tom friendship etc...

- Tom seems actually an okay character, even though he's just a buddy to Sonic, Sonic is the protagonist in fact

- Robotnik, now fully Eggman, ends up on Sonic's world with some fur in his hands… sequel set-up.

I think I've summed up the movie's plot, now… one question, again: when does the Green Hill scene from the trailer happen? How does it fit anyway? Okay, the thing about "they wanted to steal my powers" fits here I guess.

Still, I'm glad they are having an origin and actual plot elements besides "wacky adventures on Earth with Sonic and Tom".

Trying to avoid spoilers but having a skim through some of the test screen guys answers has got me really excited. Although I already was to be fair.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sega and Paramount have just announced the list of merchandise for the movie.:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/12/11/sega-and-paramount-announce-official-sonic-movie-merchandise?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Here is the list.:

• Bentex: Apparel for youth (Spring 2020)
  • Bioworld: Apparel for adults
  • Build-a-Bear Workshop: Specialty plush items and accessories
  • Diamond Select Toys: Highly detailed premium statue featuring an iconic scene (Spring 2020)
  • Franco: Sonic bedding (Spring 2020)
  • JAKKS Pacific: Playsets and plushies available in select territories (January 2020)
  • Penguin Publishing: Variety of children's books (December 2019)
  • Sega Shops: Capsule collection of items (January 2020)
  • Snapco and Ping Solutions: In-cinema concessions premiums including drink toppers and popcorn buckets at select theaters
  • Toy Factory and Sega Amusement: Novelty products for amusement parts and attractions in North America and Europe
  • TBM Fashion Lab and Cooneen: Apparel for adults and youth internationally (Early 2020)
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just been to see the new JumanjI. Sonic trailer was shown which was a cut down version of the UK one. It got some laughs which was good as no one in the showing was below thirty. Strangely the line "why would you risk your life for this silly little alien?" has a new pronunciation for "silly little alien". Odd.

Nice to see it on the big screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me, this doesn't seem like it's going to be a generic live action adaptation like Alvin & Chipmunks or The Smurfs (and the writers have stated that it's not going to be like that). It seems more like an origin story of how Sonic The Hedgehog became Sonic The Hedgehog. It's like as if the writers were forced to use the human-teams-up-with-cartoon-animal formula, were forced to make it a live action film, and were forced to not have any other characters from the games except Sonic and Robotnik, so they put in the best effort they could into this to make this work. And while the other characters are important, it looks like Sonic is the main focus, and it seems like they nail some of his character pretty well. Kind of reminds me of The Rocky & Bullwinkle Movie only with a harder PG.

• Fist Bump 1

With this lizard guy from Sonic’s world got me thinking about some things. 

We know that Sonic got a new remodeled look but what about the other anthros from his world? Would they still look like Sonic’s original hideous uncanny form? It’ll probably make Sonic look out of place even in his own world. Like placing him in Jim Henson’s Dark Crystal.

Also if this lizard warrior thing is true and that we have another villain, I predict one of two things would happen.

Spoiler

1: The lizard guy manages travel to earth in the middle of the film and teams up with Robotnik to capture Sonic but in the climax, he betrays Robotnik once he captures the hedgehog and surprise surprise he plans to takeover the world, forcing Sonic and Robotnik to team up to save the day.

2: Or most likely, the lizard guy comes during the climax of the film as he pops up on earth, interrupting Sonic’s and Robotnik’s fight that forces them to team up against him.

It does follow some of the games endings as it is a trope that pops up occasionally.

6 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Kind of reminds me of The Rocky & Bullwinkle Movie only with a harder PG.

Which if memory serves is a movie I specifically name dropped as the exact type of film I didn't want this movie to remind me of when this thread first started.

9 minutes ago, Tara said:

Which if memory serves is a movie I specifically name dropped as the exact type of film I didn't want this movie to remind me of when this thread first started.

I really like that film. It's not great, but I find it decent. It's been gaining a cult following throughout the years and is now considered underrated and that critics treated it harshly. It was one of the few live action adaptations at the time that uses this formula that stayed more true to the original property (character wise) while also doing its own thing (story wise). It was pretty clever in its humor, and when it wasn't, it was self aware. I would recommend everyone to watch it, along with movies like Paddington, Peter Rabbit, and Dora since people are constantly scared of these types of films and don't realize that it's actually been able to work before.