Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Casting, Directing, Shooting, Writing, AND animating at the same time? Not gonna happen in this time frame. If you want this movie to look (or even BE) fantastic, 2016 will not do.

I'm pretty sure most of that stuff is done in an overlapping-like fashion. Movie development doesn't exactly involve sitting around waiting for one thing to be done so you can move on to whatever needs to be finished next.

I am aware of that, but can the film still be done in this time frame? Overlapping or not?

Casting, Directing, Shooting, Writing, AND animating at the same time? Not gonna happen in this time frame. If you want this movie to look (or even BE) fantastic, 2016 will not do. Unless THIS is your idea of fantastic:

Sonic_Next_Gen.jpg

I feel like I'm repeating myself here.

Funny thing is, that game's CG bits were some of the best.

I am aware of that, but can the film still be done in this time frame? Overlapping or not?

That's honestly a question no one here can answer since we have no idea how far development of the film has progressed.

The fact that we have yet to hear a single bit of info regarding anything related to the film leads me to believe that we're either looking at a late 2016 release (which I personally doubt) or a release sometime in 2017.

30 second Teaser is coming.  Either at E3 or Comic Con. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was like a really short teaser at E3 or Comic-Con or something. Not a teaser that has footage from the movie or anything, just a little announcement teaser. Maybe something similar to the first teasers for the Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper movies, except with less in it. Not expecting it of course, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

You rang?

z8pTndq.gif

(note to self-never use duplicate for layers again as it makes the copied layers look worse :/)

THANK YOU! It's beautiful. 

Im pretty sure it will be a 30 second teaser slapped together at the last minute using original footage strictly for the teaser.  The typical booming voice over with text over a blackscreen.  Sega will just want something to put out there to confirm that its happening. 

That they don't even have a tentative release date is what makes me doubtful. Ratchet & Clank might have kicked itself back a year, but at least it gave us a year to start with.

They didn't even have a teaser when the film was confirmed is also concerning. This is probably going to be a while.

...maybe. I wouldn't put it past them to stick to the 25th anniversary date purely for stupid loyalty to symbolism and not letting the film be polished. Rise of Lyric: the Movie, and I'm not talking slapping a bunch of cutscenes together on Youtube.

I doubt they'd rush something as costly and attention-catching as a movie out the door. At least I really hope they aren't that goddamn demented. They'd be repeating an '06 but with a movie and not a game, and something tells me that would be even worse, and about five times more embarrassing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im pretty sure it will be a 30 second teaser slapped together at the last minute using original footage strictly for the teaser.  The typical booming voice over with text over a blackscreen.  Sega will just want something to put out there to confirm that its happening. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When in doubt, remember every terrible movie was approved for release.

After a certain point, the money sunk in means a product must be released no matter how awful it is.

If we don't get anything at this year's Comic Con regarding the Sonic movie, then it's pretty much a given that it won't be coming out next year at all. Would be pretty stupid if they rushed out a movie like how they rush out the games. =P

If we don't get anything at this year's Comic Con regarding the Sonic movie, then it's pretty much a given that it won't be coming out next year at all. Would be pretty stupid if they rushed out a movie like how they rush out the games. =P

When in doubt, remember every terrible movie was approved for release.

After a certain point, the money sunk in means a product must be released no matter how awful it is.

That too.

Commitment to deadlines and the budget sadly takes priority over a quality product a lot of times.

One would hope this film wouldn't be rushed, but I'll remind everyone it has live action aspects to it.

That alone should be enough of an indicator how much the quality of this product was considered, when the verdict is pretty much out that live action adaptions of things that aren't predominantly human to start with suck.

There is ONE human of importance in the whole damned series. There's no reason this shouldn't be CGI.

I'm not quite ready to write the movie off based solely on the fact that it's partially live action.

After all the Sonic Adventure games have proven that it could work for Sonic. They featured Sonic in realistic environments with realistic humans and (despite what some of the more vocal sectors of the fanbase would like you to think) were very successful both critically and commercially. Meanwhile the popularity of Guardians of the Galaxy, and Rocket Raccoon in particular, should have bought the concept of anthropomorphic animals in a live action action movie some good faith in Hollywood as well (not that they necessarily had an issue with it in the first place, as evidenced by the various Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies).

Basically it's down to how the film is handled. Van seems like he knows what he's doing, so it's really up to SEGA/Sony to not fuck this up, which given their track records is a very real possibility, but far from a guarantee.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but why all the trust in Van? As far as I know his only previous credits are documentaries.

Is it because he's a Sonic fan? Sonic fans have produced enough crap themselves.

Personally, I'm thinking Sony chose him because he was cheap, which doesn't fill me with hope.

I mean, it doesn't mean it'll be bad and he seems like a nice guy, so I do hope for the best for him and the fans., but it's not something that fills me with confidence.