Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

(Almost) No one really wanted a CGI live-action hybrid from the veeeeery beginning xD 

Silly us, mind. I saw it coming because Paramount, but I still had hope that they would see the huge success of Spider-verse and go for a fully animated movie... And we still got fucking Garfield... 

I gotta tell ya, I loved the redesigned creature and all the game references, heck, I even liked Ben's voice better than Roger's, but I still think it's gonna be a shitty movie at the end of the day. Weak at best, like Detective Pikachu.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I really like that film. It's not great, but I find it decent. It's been gaining a cult following throughout the years and is now considered underrated and that critics treated it harshly. It was one of the few live action adaptations at the time that uses this formula that stayed more true to the original property (character wise) while also doing its own thing (story wise). It was pretty clever I its humor, and when it wasn't, it was self aware. I would recommend everyone to watch it, along with movies like Paddington, Peter Rabbit, and Dora since people are constantly scared of these types of films and don't realize that it's actually been able to work before.

I mean, fair enough, I'm not going to tell you which movies to like or dislike.  But I actually don't think Rocky and Bullwinkle was particularly clever or interesting even while it is slightly more faithful than most adaptations, and I don't think I'm alone in that.  I haven't watched Paddington (need to because people I know say it good) or Dora, but I  thought Peter Rabbit was pretty bland at best, too, so that doesn't do much for me either.

54 minutes ago, Jango said:

(Almost) No one really wanted a CGI live-action hybrid from the veeeeery beginning xD 

Silly us, mind. I saw it coming because Paramount, but I still had hope that they would see the huge success of Spider-verse and go for a fully animated movie... And we still got fucking Garfield... 

I gotta tell ya, I loved the redesigned creature and all the game references, heck, I even liked Ben's voice better than Roger's, but I still think it's gonna be a shitty movie at the end of the day. Weak at best, like Detective Pikachu.

What do you mean by you "saw it coming because Paramount"? It was announced as a live-action CGI hybrid film back in 2013, and Paramount had nothing to do with the film back then.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

What do you mean by you "saw it coming because Paramount"? It was announced as a live-action CGI hybrid film back in 2013, and Paramount had nothing to do with the film back then.

To be fair, the initial film studio was Sony Animation wasn't it?  And it's not like they have a stellar track record, either.

5 minutes ago, Tara said:

To be fair, the initial film studio was Sony Animation wasn't it?  And it's not like they have a stellar track record, either.

Yeah, it was Sony originally. Expectations were widely low just because it was announced as a live action CGI hybrid. The studio wasn't a big a factor, and a studio that wasn't involved definitely wasn't a factor. 

10 minutes ago, Tara said:

It was just Sony Pictures. Their animation studio had nothing to do with the project, which was actually pretty weird considering that they worked on the live action Smurfs.

I guess SEGA was able to at least negotiate what animation studios were going to be involved. I'm a believer of that while SEGA clearly didn't have much control in regards to all decisions, they still had control over who was actually brought in to make the film.

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Yeah, it was Sony originally. Expectations were widely low just because it was announced as a live action CGI hybrid. The studio wasn't a big a factor, and a studio that wasn't involved definitely wasn't a factor. 

I mean, yeah, I get that.  I'm just saying, his overall point that people were skeptical about the quality of the film because of media trends still stands even if the particulars are questionable.

9 minutes ago, AstroSeed-P said:

It was just Sony Pictures. Their animation studio had nothing to do with the project, which was actually pretty weird considering that they worked on the live action Smurfs.

I guess SEGA was able to at least negotiate what animation studios were going to be involved. I'm a believer of that while SEGA clearly didn't have much control in regards to all decisions, they still had control over who was actually brought in to make the film.

My mistake.  I apologize.

I imagine Sony's partnership with Sega was only in talks at the time and not in writing.  By the time the first design came around, they had probably already signed an agreement.  I'm sure there are clauses in whatever agreement that give Paramount a lot more creative control over the movie than we would like, but I don't think whatever contract they have means that Sega can't pull the plug on the project.  More likely, I think, is that they calculated how much money that would be lost if they did, and decided it was better to let it go and hope for the best than to cancel the deal out right.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, Razule said:

Maybe it's a reference to the lizard bully in the old manga with Nikki Parlouzer. Who said they didn't research their Sonic lore?

CoroCoro9208-Anton.jpg

I instantly thought of Anton Veruca.  I'll admit, that would give me some new respect for this movie.

However, I'm not sure how far they could go in adding such things without making a movie that might as well just be fully animated.

As for the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie, I'm among the people who liked it.  However, even the people who disliked it probably didn't dislike it primarily because it was mostly live-action.  The comedic interactions between the title characters and the fourth-wall breaking narrator are the comedic essence of that series, even if writing quality can make or break them.  Those can still work in live-action.

Sonic, much like The Lion King, has a cast that has to be animated even if they're in places based on the real world.  Neglecting this cast for someone else is...questionable.

But as this is the first post I'm making since the new trailer, I admit the movie look a great deal funnier.  There's still questionable "jokes" that I don't think warrant being at "music stop" moments and the end of the trailer, and seeing those doesn't exactly make me optimistic about the jokes they don't show off, but...Sonic's charming.  Part of that is the redesign, part of it is that Ben Schwartz is actually a good actor, but what I like most of all is how the comedy consistently utilizes Sonic's abilities.  It may not be smart humor, but it's sincerely playful and energetic in a way that feels right for this series.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Because I knew they wouldn't want to take a different direction after the project left Sony's hand. Bayturtles, Transformers... 

At least if the movie didn't left Sony, they could've delegated the production to one of their animation studios and get it fully CGI. Granted Sony had Smurfs, but over the past years they learned that fully animated movies are far more appealing.

9 hours ago, Tara said:

I imagine Sony's partnership with Sega was only in talks at the time and not in writing.  By the time the first design came around, they had probably already signed an agreement.  I'm sure there are clauses in whatever agreement that give Paramount a lot more creative control over the movie than we would like, but I don't think whatever contract they have means that Sega can't pull the plug on the project.  More likely, I think, is that they calculated how much money that would be lost if they did, and decided it was better to let it go and hope for the best than to cancel the deal out right.

Thinking about it - wasn't the original design from the Fast Friends poster that leaked before the teaser poster of the horrid manhog design (the one that showed a Sonic that was much more designed like the new design, and where he and Tom were laying against a cop car) from the Sony era of the movie? 

If it was, that would mean that Paramount saw the original design from Sony, decided "this ain't it chief", redesigned it into the horrid as hell manhog design, before the backlash struck, and they had to redesign again in order to give us the current design.

Just now, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Thinking about it - wasn't the original design from the Fast Friends poster that leaked before the teaser poster of the horrid manhog design (the one that showed a Sonic that was much more designed like the new design, and where he and Tom were laying against a cop car) from the Sony era of the movie? 

If it was, that would mean that Paramount saw the original design from Sony, decided "this ain't it chief", redesigned it into the horrid as hell manhog design, before the backlash struck, and they had to redesign again in order to give us the current design.

The one with Chris Pratt? Could've been Sony's indeed.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

I don't recall if that was ever confirmed to be real.  Someone found out that the poster was made entirely of edited together stock photos, which dealt a blow to its credibility, but the possibility that it was a placeholder image was also there.  My memory is a bit fuzzy, so I may be getting things wrong.

5 hours ago, Winter Spirit Ultima said:

So... MPC, the VFX company responsible for Movie Sonic's redesign shut down it's studio at Vancover. I feel pretty bad for those caught in this. Hope they find places that accept their talents elsewhere.

Damn. That sucks :(

4 hours ago, Tara said:

I don't recall if that was ever confirmed to be real.  Someone found out that the poster was made entirely of edited together stock photos, which dealt a blow to its credibility, but the possibility that it was a placeholder image was also there.  My memory is a bit fuzzy, so I may be getting things wrong.

I think it was real. They used mockup images as a "proof of concept" type thing. But the Sonic design was probably early concept art and could have been from 2015 when Sony had the project. 

Paramount wanted an edgier design in vein of Bayturtles and well, the rest is history. I'm glad we got the design we got now, though.

9 hours ago, Winter Spirit Ultima said:

So... MPC, the VFX company responsible for Movie Sonic's redesign shut down it's studio at Vancover. I feel pretty bad for those caught in this. Hope they find places that accept their talents elsewhere.

Aw. That’s bad news. I hope the people who lost their jobs get new ones soon. Isn’t  this just one of the branches that get shut down? Not the entire company. I think the company had more than just one branch around the world. I can’t believe people are blaming the movie for the closure.

Here’s Tyson’s response to the company’s branch unexpected Vancouver closure.:

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1205269433876221952

BTW, anybody think that rumored Lizard villain is going to be voiced by Riff Raff? He said that he will have a small acting role in the movie and will be voicing two characters back in May. BTW, he seem to deleted his Instagram post about his involvement in the movie.:

Riff Raff will have a “small acting role,” two voiceovers and a song on the soundtrack. 

Source: https://www.altpress.com/news/riff-raff-reveals-sonic-the-hedgehog-trailer/

Well, nothing interesting related to the movie was revealed at the Game Awards. Oh well. I didn't watch the show anyway. So, I didn't expect too much. So, the only Sonic related things that I hear were a Sonic's joke about James Marsden and a Green Day Concert which Sonic can be briefly seen.:

Here is the joke if you are curious. The joke was made by a screenwriter named Jonathan Nolan.:

"James Marsden's character, Teddy, was of course based on James Marsden's character in Sonic The Hedgehog."

Oh, Geoff made a joke about Sonic not appearing at the show.:

BTW, Jeff posted this.:

BTW, if you go to his Instagram, Sonic can be seen dancing. The sprite seem to be from Sonic Advance.:

ELmnKJ6U8AEgYQZ.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Although I dislike any of these comparisons, at least Transformers and Turtles were a bit more to the style I wish for Sonic… okay too edgy maybe, but better than Alvin or Smurfs, yeah. 

No… you know what? I think the style and tone we are getting is way better than the childish or edgy tone of those movies, it's way more fitting for Sonic, more balanced, so I'm happy about that. It's an action comedy adventure for families, it knows what it is and wants to poke fun at the clichès and genre, it's self aware (see: the government scene, it's basically a joke, a parody), and it's really funny to see.

Now, new anthro characters could be interesting, if designed correctly, Mama Owl and Lizard Warrior as well as the inevitably adorable Baby Sonic, although it sucks that we aren't getting iconic characters like Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic, Shadow or Amy first, yeah I can understand. But movie OCs can be interesting too… better than the human OC characters I guess? Although the human OC cast is basically made of Tom, and that's it, Annie is an extention of Tom who is an extension of Sonic, he is the protagonist anyway, and I'm glad for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Having watched the game awards just to see something Sonic-related, I am quite irate.

Pro tip for the future, you can skip live events and catch the highlights later.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found some new footage from the Norwegian Sonic Movie Trailer.:

I can't see what's new there.