Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Is it worth bringing up that CATS is showing us the worst case senario? It's uncanny valley designs were the source of jokes and distain from day 1 and it's getting crushed by critics. People are voting with their wallets and staying away. 

Maybe worth bringing up, but Sonic isn't in the Uncanny Valley anymore.  Maybe his new design does some things that people wish it didn't, but it's not in itself going to ward off any besides extremists like Chris-Chan.

If anything, opting to fix the design has increased the optimism for this movie.

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Is it worth bringing up that CATS is showing us the worst case senario? It's uncanny valley designs were the source of jokes and distain from day 1 and it's getting crushed by critics. People are voting with their wallets and staying away. 

It can possibly be considered to be a gilmpse into what might have happened if the old design stuck, maybe more extreme due to being all ugly instead of just a single character.

3 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Except that scene shows him leaving GHZ and not entering.

Could be coming back to visit. 

4 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Except that scene shows him leaving GHZ and not entering.

Wearing shoes he acquires on Earth?

Looks like he's wearing the same shoes in every scene we've seen though, even ones where he's seemingly still in hiding. Did he bust into some random house that just happens to have a kid who offers him some shoes?

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Looks like he's wearing the same shoes in every scene we've seen though, even ones where he's seemingly still in hiding. Did he bust into some random house that just happens to have a kid who offers him some shoes?

That's what I find contradicting. Maybe they digitally added the shoes into the pre-Tom scenes for the trailers? Marvel does something similar for their trailers (adding and removing characters and elements).

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite positive online reactions, the Sonic Movie is expected to flop in the box office.

We'll see what happens in February.

• Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Despite positive online reactions, the Sonic Movie is expected to flop in the box office.

Well, while I don't expect an enormous budget coming out in the first week, I think it won't flop down as most people believe, but as a maximum we could get an unstable pattern of incomes throughout the screenings of the movie. I just hope that if we add optimism and support the movie despite all the        -apparently- strong arguments haters use to dissapoint us won't stop us from showing love to the franchise nor to the people working on it.

5 hours ago, AtomicReader 饶日 said:

Well, while I don't expect an enormous budget coming out in the first week, I think it won't flop down as most people believe, but as a maximum we could get an unstable pattern of incomes throughout the screenings of the movie. I just hope that if we add optimism and support the movie despite all the        -apparently- strong arguments haters use to dissapoint us won't stop us from showing love to the franchise nor to the people working on it.

I said earlier that the standard live-action movie-watching crowd is not going to prioritize a movie called "Sonic the Hedgehog", and I stand by that.  Children who like animated animals will probably like Sonic, but he might not exactly outcompete other animated animals in theaters for child attention, either--especially the ones who have fully-animated films on their side.  It's hard to say whether more adults or children will make up the Sonic fans watching this, but I'd still say pre-existing fans will far outnumber people this film introduces to Sonic.  As introductions go, I can imagine much stronger ones.

9 hours ago, Myst said:

Man why is it that every good or cool thing that Disney didn't poop out always has trouble at the Box Office? Godzilla, Detective Pikachu, now this. Well, I'll hold on hope until the movie releases at least...hopefully the Sonic fandom will rise up and do something about this like they did for the first design.

31 minutes ago, Sonario said:

Man why is it that every good or cool thing that Disney didn't poop out always has trouble at the Box Office? Godzilla, Detective Pikachu, now this. Well, I'll hold on hope until the movie releases at least...hopefully the Sonic fandom will rise up and do something about this like they did for the first design.

Well, I can't speak for the entire Sonic fandom, but for as much as they improved the design thanks in part to some now unfortunately laid of animators and CG artists along with Tyson Hesse (though for the record I'm with Naka at finding Sonic's eyes giving me a weird sense of unease if I look at them too long compared to his conjoined eyes), there are a number of us who don't care for the setting, plot, or origin story approach. I don't know how many in number that subset is but you know we won't be going to see the movie. Then of course you have the classic extremist who I can almost guarantee won't be seeing the movie.

At the very least, if the success of the movie is now dependent on the one audience they were never worried about appealing to in the first place it speaks volumes about how little sway Sonic has and how little people still care for live action video game adaptions and live action cartoon adaptions, plus the subset f people who are now not going to see it since the animators behind the redesign all lost their jobs shortly after completing their work. Rolling it all into one it feels like the studio did not know what they were getting into. Still, I think the curiosity born around the original design and all of the talk surrounding the movie as a result will still draw more than enough movie goers for them to at least break even. Will it be a smash success? I couldn't say, but if it isn't it isn't like we can't say we don't know why. Even outside of looking at the movie as Sonic fans we were well aware of the success rate of most adaptions of video games and animated properties. Throw in Sonic and his fanbase's reputation outside of the fanbase and the thing that may actually save this movie is the attention the original design garnered, ironic as that may be. Hopefully, though, above all else, since I can't even say good things will come to those who worked on the movie now, that those who go to see it enjoy. I think not enjoying a movie you payed to watch is a bigger travesty than knowing the movie wasn't successful on a whole.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Sonario said:

...hopefully the Sonic fandom will rise up and do something about this like they did for the first design.

What did they do for the 1st design besides complain about it?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Well, I can't speak for the entire Sonic fandom, but for as much as they improved the design thanks in part to some now unfortunately laid of animators and CG artists along with Tyson Hesse (though for the record I'm with Naka at finding Sonic's eyes giving me a weird sense of unease if I look at them too long compared to his conjoined eyes), there are a number of us who don't care for the setting, plot, or origin story approach. I don't know how many in number that subset is but you know we won't be going to see the movie. Then of course you have the classic extremist who I can almost guarantee won't be seeing the movie.

At the very least, if the success of the movie is now dependent on the one audience they were never worried about appealing to in the first place it speaks volumes about how little sway Sonic has and how little people still care for live action video game adaptions and live action cartoon adaptions, plus the subset f people who are now not going to see it since the animators behind the redesign all lost their jobs shortly after completing their work. Rolling it all into one it feels like the studio did not know what they were getting into. Still, I think the curiosity born around the original design and all of the talk surrounding the movie as a result will still draw more than enough movie goers for them to at least break even. Will it be a smash success? I couldn't say, but if it isn't it isn't like we can't say we don't know why. Even outside of looking at the movie as Sonic fans we were well aware of the success rate of most adaptions of video games and animated properties. Throw in Sonic and his fanbase's reputation outside of the fanbase and the thing that may actually save this movie is the attention the original design garnered, ironic as that may be. Hopefully, though, above all else, since I can't even say good things will come to those who worked on the movie now, that those who go to see it enjoy. I think not enjoying a movie you payed to watch is a bigger travesty than knowing the movie wasn't successful on a whole.

Yeah it's kind of a darn shame really. Video Game Movie adaptions have finally started to become good and studios have started listening to their fans when making them (even if it takes a kick to get them to do so sometimes) but none of that matters if they don't make money. It seems Video Game movies will never be successful no matter how good or bad they are, which would discourage people from trying to make good ones like Detective PIkachu or what we've seen of the Sonic movie in the future. When it comes to movies, people will always flock to the more famous franchises/genres like superheroes and comic book movies and the Mouse House before anything else. It's a noble thing for studios like Legendary and the new paramount to sink their efforts into making nice movies like this despite the fact that general audiences won't be paying up to see them compared to Marvel and stuff. I just wish they'd get rewarded for their efforts into pleasing us sometimes.

18 minutes ago, Sonario said:

Yeah it's kind of a darn shame really. Video Game Movie adaptions have finally started to become good and studios have started listening to their fans when making them (even if it takes a kick to get them to do so sometimes) but none of that matters if they don't make money. It seems Video Game movies will never be successful no matter how good or bad they are, which would discourage people from trying to make good ones like Detective PIkachu or what we've seen of the Sonic movie in the future. When it comes to movies, people will always flock to the more famous franchises/genres like superheroes and comic book movies and the Mouse House before anything else. It's a noble thing for studios like Legendary and the new paramount to sink their efforts into making nice movies like this despite the fact that general audiences won't be paying up to see them compared to Marvel and stuff. I just wish they'd get rewarded for their efforts into pleasing us sometimes.

An understandable sentiment. If people don't give it a chance then studios won't either, but when the studios start on the wrong foot but ignoring what they are adapting they are simultaneously setting themselves up for failure. The fine line between being faithful and exploring creative liberties tastefully and respectfully is terrifyingly difficult. Even then though, for as much as the movie does not appeal to me, I do have to give it credit for stimulating teh idea i my imagination of the possibilities of Sonic's "powers" being obtainable by others. I very much have spent many hours contemplating any number of uses for such a concept and to use it in ways that better fit my preferences.

I still just wish though they would have copied Indiana Jones then the typical live action adaption of pairing the animated character with an average joe who ends up in over their head. As it is, I fear that Sonic's love for adventure is going to stem from his local hoping finale with Eggman than anything that is built up in the movie. I can already see him hopping about excitedly talking about all the cool things he saw and how plans on visiting all of those places as the movie Sonic seems overly spontaneous to me. To contrast, if you take game Sonic though he decides to go look for Angel Island because a ring brought the legends to mind, like with Little Planet he already knew about and just needed an excuse. That he is aware of ancient legends and treasures implies that his love of adventure is a lot more nuanced than just seeing cool things and being an adrenaline junky. It's why I don't find him reading the Flash as enjoyable as others that promotes the superhero image where as I prefer his globetrotting adventure image. Hence again why I fall back on Indiana Jones as my Hollywood approach to Sonic compared to buddy cop road trip.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well whatever happens, I hope the movie does somewhat OK financially. I don't want the BO run to send the message that "listening to fans and admitting/fixing mistakes only leads to failure". Especially considering the polarizing, fan-backlashing Star Wars sequel trilogy movies still made (and will make with the third one) tons of cash. I want real effort from underdogs to really pay off instead of having people throwing all the money at big-name cashgrabs. The GA just can't seem to get out of their little box of Superheroes and Disney Drivel with the occasional John Wick here and there. Hidden gems like Detective Pikachu just can't catch the eyes of all but loyal fans who are quite limited in number.

• Thumbs Up 2

Understandable. A lot of energy was spent on the design alone which is why it sucks the animation team behind got laid off. Unfortunately, for some of us that wasn't enough as we had far more problems then just his design, though props to advertising department for turning things around after that first trailer. That alone could be enough to help the movie break even by giving a clear image of what the movie is supposed to be. I personally expect it to, but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 3

Funny how no one cared about the domestic forecast beong posted until the word flop got thrown into the mix. 😀

Anyway once again this is the source https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-fantasy-island-the-photograph-and-sonic-the-hedgehog/

They post forecasts every friday and they can move up or down as the release gets closer.

A few things to note while we're talking money the budget is for production expenses only and doesn't include marketing which can be just as much.

Actual revenue that goes to the studio is generally around 55% for domestic, 40% for international and 25% for china.

It's weird how these discussions on how the movie characterizes Sonic ignore the obvious point that we already do have a source to know how to characterize him that came from when Naka himself was still a key part in the series: The OVA.

There Sonic's what he was envisioned as when Naka and Oshima made him: A punk adventuring kid with a smart mouth who still fights to protect those he cares for and the land around him from those who hurt them or exploit him. Does that really describe the Sonic Trainwreck's version?

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Almar said:

It's weird how these discussions on how the movie characterizes Sonic ignore the obvious point that we already do have a source to know how to characterize him that came from when Naka himself was still a key part in the series: The OVA.

There Sonic's what he was envisioned as when Naka and Oshima made him: A punk adventuring kid with a smart mouth who still fights to protect those he cares for and the land around him from those who hurt them or exploit him. Does that really describe the Sonic Trainwreck's version?

OVA Sonic is still my favorite interpretation of him, along with Eggman, Tails, and Knuckles. For all for all of the OVA's faults it is still one of my all time favorite Sonic experiences. Though, to be fair to the movie, the OVA was for fans and not to introduce new audiences to it, which is part of why it flopped and was never anything more than a two part pilot that didn't go anywhere else. Now whether the movie will go anywhere else is anyone's guess.