Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

15 minutes ago, Almar said:

It's weird how these discussions on how the movie characterizes Sonic ignore the obvious point that we already do have a source to know how to characterize him that came from when Naka himself was still a key part in the series: The OVA.

There Sonic's what he was envisioned as when Naka and Oshima made him: A punk adventuring kid with a smart mouth who still fights to protect those he cares for and the land around him from those who hurt them or exploit him. Does that really describe the Sonic Trainwreck's version?

OVA Sonic is still my favorite interpretation of him, along with Eggman, Tails, and Knuckles. For all for all of the OVA's faults it is still one of my all time favorite Sonic experiences. Though, to be fair to the movie, the OVA was for fans and not to introduce new audiences to it, which is part of why it flopped and was never anything more than a two part pilot that didn't go anywhere else. Now whether the movie will go anywhere else is anyone's guess.

It was the Sonic made by Naka and Co. who became an icon rivaling Mario. Not the abomination Paramount's shoving down our throat. Point is, Sonic should be fine as he is if the goal is to drawn in a big enough audience.

As tired as everyone is of Green Hill Zone, it's never looked so good.  That beauty might just make it feel all the more tragic that most of this film isn't set there, though.  Up until now, I assumed that the reason this film was mostly live-action, with just one CGI character, was because CGI is hard and expensive, but if they committed so much to a lush CGi environment, that excuse no longer works.  I think many here would have preferred this film focused those efforts on more characters, even if that meant setting it all in real-world locations.  Sonic's world is not ours, but even when it's been called Möbius it's had places that look like they could be on our world.

That last clip...

All those characters in the trees.

I don’t get why the hate. If anything I’m thrilled to know what they’re like. I’ve already succumbed to not expecting 1:1 adaptations to movies, so I really want to know just who is after Sonic for his powers.

So. This movie might turn out enjoyable, but I’m more hyped at the idea of the sequel, when Robotnik looks more like Eggman, and hopefully both him and Sonic go back to Sonic’s homeworld.

Btw, he is barefoot in those chibi toys. Still, his shoes are there for a good reason… also didn't Tyson comment that we aren't going to see his feet anymore? The toy might be the old design? At this point I don't care about the same shoes he has as adult, keep them, I don't want to see the baby's feet.

The design itself is reeeeally good, and so was the trailer, just look at the love put there.

South Island

Brigdes collapsing

Rolling animations and slopes

Sonic Mania "Friends" music

The sunflower from Green Hill in his hand

And the warrior tribe in the background

31 minutes ago, Jack in Space said:

Btw, he is barefoot in those chibi toys. Still, his shoes are there for a good reason… also didn't Tyson comment that we aren't going to see his feet anymore? The toy might be the old design? At this point I don't care about the same shoes he has as adult, keep them, I don't want to see the baby's feet.

The design itself is reeeeally good, and so was the trailer, just look at the love put there.

South Island

Brigdes collapsing

Rolling animations and slopes

Sonic Mania "Friends" music

The sunflower from Green Hill in his hand

And the warrior tribe in the background

This is part of why I really want the movie to be at least a moderate success. Sure the team behind the redesign got tragically shut down, but there's nothing we can do about that. On the other hand, if so much love and care put into the movie ends up being a financial failure, it will only end up pushing the message that there's no point in putting any effort or love into such things since doing nice things for the fans and giving hope to the hopeless (the new trailer really brightened up my life) doesn't make big bucks.