Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

On 1/4/2020 at 4:15 PM, Sonario said:

I dunno, his character seems fine in most of his appearances to me. Forces was the only real fluke. Lost World and TSR were fine. Plus Mike pretty much has Eggman's character down pat to me at least, judging by his appearances in the Twitter Takeovers. Also, I wouldn't really judge the movie by the trailers or expect the worst just yet. Let's see what we get first. What I saw seems pretty promising of a Pre-Eggman Robotnik to me. And there's no reason to assume that Post-Eggman Robotnik would automatically be done wrong either.

I actually saw a bit of the Eggman in Jim's Robotnik. That dynamic, over the top pose he makes when he stands at the control panel and says 'I will UNCOVERRR the source of its power!' screamed Eggman to me. And the dance sequence was total goofball Eggman.

I wonder if Jim saw any game cutscenes or old Sonic cartoons when he got the role?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

I actually saw a bit of the Eggman in Jim's Robotnik. That dynamic, over the top pose he makes when he stands at the control panel and says 'I will UNCOVERRR the source of its power!' screamed Eggman to me. And the dance sequence was total goofball Eggman.

I wonder if Jim saw any game cutscenes or old Sonic cartoons when he got the role?

Even if so, it'd be better off if the movie makers remembered Sonic is meant to be cool like ice. Not hoppy and zany. That would let them be proper foils.

I will stress this again: Eggman from the start was the "hyper" one. Not Sonic. Sonic in his idle animations and concept artwork was supposed to be a slick punk. Eggman a toothy dork.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Almar said:

That would let them be proper foils.

I somehow doubt they'll interact in a meaningful enough way for this dynamic to really track throughout the film.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Almar said:

They don't need to interact in every scene to be foils. A foil is a deep storytelling rule.

They don't, but I said it probably won't even be meaningful enough to matter when they do.

Like, outside of the humor that comes from their interactions, the interactions themselves wouldn't properly display their differences during versus outside of being hero and villain.

If Robotonic wasn't already seen as eccentric in the trailers they, the only differences they have that we see is that he's got weird quirks and Sonic despite being pretty hyperactive is comparatively normal.

52 minutes ago, Myst said:

I just noticed Paramount disabled the comments for trailer 2. Hmm.

I don't know why did they do that. Most of the comments were very positive and praising the trailer.

Was someone trolling and spoiling the movie there? Screenings happened, so yeah, I understand if that's the case

Everyone keeps saying "Sonic needs to be cool" but don't understand how subjective of a term the word "cool" means to people. Many people view that word completely differently. I know people who DO think this film looks "cool" and they're not even Sonic fans. Do you want him to be a stereotypical 90's character that tries unbarably hard to be cool? Do you want him to be exactly like modern Sonic? Do you want a Sonic similar to Star Lord from Guardians Of The Galaxy? Do you want Sonic to be quoting stupid outdated slang/memes? Just saying "I want him to be cool" isn't descriptive at all.

I don't blame the team for making Sonic act like a Looney Tunes character with childish charisma. This is a comedy. A live action film comedy about a cartoon animal that runs really fast, destroys robots, and can teleport. Sonic Boom got pretty wacky as a comedic cartoon as well. And it was praised. I personally think this whole zaney speed dynamic in this film could be a really creative unique execution of comedy in Sonic that we've never seen before (rather than just seeing something done over again or taking the already silly idea of a live action Sonic movie super seriously).

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Myst said:

I just noticed Paramount disabled the comments for trailer 2. Hmm.

I think that have something to do with this law called COPPA. It’s means that any video make for kids no longer have a comment section. So, I guess you can’t comment on the next trailer uploaded by Paramount.

38 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I think that have something to do with this law called COPPA. It’s means that any video make for kids no longer have a comment section. So, I guess you can’t comment on the next trailer uploaded by Paramount.

Aw man, that's a shame. =/

2 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Everyone keeps saying "Sonic needs to be cool" but don't understand how subjective of a term the word "cool" means to people. Many people view that word completely differently. I know people who DO think this film looks "cool" and they're not even Sonic fans. Do you want him to be a stereotypical 90's character that tries unbarably hard to be cool? Do you want him to be exactly like modern Sonic? Do you want a Sonic similar to Star Lord from Guardians Of The Galaxy? Do you want Sonic to be quoting stupid outdated slang/memes? Just saying "I want him to be cool" isn't descriptive at all.

I don't blame the team for making Sonic act like a Looney Tunes character with childish charisma. This is a comedy. A live action film comedy about a cartoon animal that runs really fast, destroys robots, and can teleport. Sonic Boom got pretty wacky as a comedic cartoon as well. And it was praised. I personally think this whole zaney speed dynamic in this film could be a really creative unique execution of comedy in Sonic that we've never seen before (rather than just seeing something done over again or taking the already silly idea of a live action Sonic movie super seriously).

As the back of the USA box for his first game described Sonic: "He's flip and funny, yet tough as nails".  Probably the first and last time "flip" was ever use as an adjective, but for the record, what writers generally took from that isn't too at odds with what I'm seeing here.  People earlier complained that this film's Sonic is too much like Deadpool, but as a major part of Deadpool is that he has cancer and keeping a sense of humor is his way of coping with pain, I don't see how that's too at odds with how people expect Sonic fo act.  Desire to have fun, even when under pressure, is a near constant with Sonic.  Even at his low point in 06, that was still his stated philosophy, though it didn't come through that he was having fun due to bad writing.

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

You are correct. That's a shame. I really hope youtube comes to their senses and change that. It's horrible.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Myst said:

According to this article, an unnamed source from Paramount is saying that the company is hoping that Sonic the Hedgehog will be the first in a trilogy of films and the studio is considering making A ROBOTNIK SPINOFF FILM.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/sonic-hedgehog-movie-spawn-trilogy/

Not too surprising, a trilogy is the minimum expectation with a franchise and post Joker I kinda expect every studio is looking at their villains getting a movie.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Myst said:

According to this article, an unnamed source from Paramount is saying that the company is hoping that Sonic the Hedgehog will be the first in a trilogy of films and the studio is considering making A ROBOTNIK SPINOFF FILM.

NOW THAT'S WORTHY OF A PRRRROMOTION!

Sure we'll have to see how good he really is, but from what we've seen of Jim Carrey Robotnik in the trailers, he's absolutely nailing it. They picked the 2nd best option to capture his hamminess and bring him to life on the big screen. (The first would be of course, Mike Pollock himself). Heck, he even made me interested in the movie back when the first atrocious trailer dropped, being the only good part of it. Now he's just another epic addition to what's already shaping up to be a fun ride. If we get a Robotnik focused film, especially if it's after he gains his trademark look and craziness, I'm willing to bet that Jim Carrey will absolutely hit it outta the park. Maybe even give us a truly show-stealing Robotnik that can match the greatness of Long John Baldry's from AOSTH! (I loved the Robotnik bits in AOSTH more than any other part, even if I loved the other parts too)

One thing I have to add though, if you're going to make a Robotnik movie after he goes Full Eggman, GIVE CARREY A FATSUIT! His lanky limbs with a huge fatsuit would really capture the Eggman look!

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Myst said:

Even though this got sources who eventually confirmed other things, I don't believe this rumor for now. Especially the spin-off part, the trilogy is a given if the movie is successful, if Jim Carrey wants to continue I'd be up for it, it'd be a waste to have him in 1 movie only, plus if the movie is good there may be potential to continue to further explore Sonic's world, mithology and have the other characters introduced. If the movie flops, I could see it taking decades even for a reboot, animated or live-action again. So I hope this does well… it looks fun so far.

Anyway, I say let's focus on this debut movie first.

Badnik theory. I know people have pointed out they're boring in this movie - basically just drones really - but I'm hoping that they improve in the sequel (assuming this movie is successful). I'd like to think if Eggman does end up on Sonic's world at the end he becomes inspired by the anthropomorphic creatures to create badniks like Motobug, Chopper and so on.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Myst said:

That source is known to not have reliable information, but anyway, a trilogy would be cool to see.

11 hours ago, Myst said:

Aw man, that's a shame. =/

7 hours ago, Sonic Warrior said:

You are correct. That's a shame. I really hope youtube comes to their senses and change that. It's horrible.

Yea, I know, it’s stinks that they would do this. Hopefully, they decided to drop this soon.

11 hours ago, Myst said:

Look guys, I really need to point something out about that site. Their extremely unreliable, with very, very rarely being accurate. So just like with that recent Crash film rumor from them, take this with a grain of salt.

I want the film to do good enough to spawn sequels sure & I'm excited for it. But doing this kind of thing before it even comes out? Why? I get it's for clicks but after the film does so well after premiering that kind of announcement would likely follow. Just like with Pikachu, Tomb Raider, Jurassic World, Spongebob & others did.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, StaticMania said:

They don't, but I said it probably won't even be meaningful enough to matter when they do.

Like, outside of the humor that comes from their interactions, the interactions themselves wouldn't properly display their differences during versus outside of being hero and villain.

If Robotonic wasn't already seen as eccentric in the trailers they, the only differences they have that we see is that he's got weird quirks and Sonic despite being pretty hyperactive is comparatively normal.

That's more of a problem with the movie makers then.

13 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

You know Sonic actually had a personality for himself made by the trio of Naka, Oshima, Yasuhara? No one said he had to be "cool." What he is though is in the words of Naka "impertinent and cheeky." He was slacking around whenever he wasn't adventuring. Treated Tails like an annoying little bro.

14 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Sonic Boom got pretty wacky as a comedic cartoon as well. And it was praised.

It was an animated sitcom based on a failed attempt to reboot the franchise with the characters remade to reflect it.

14 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

(rather than just seeing something done over again or taking the already silly idea of a live action Sonic movie super seriously).

Sonic should be taken seriously when made.

12 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

As the back of the USA box for his first game described Sonic: "He's flip and funny, yet tough as nails".  Probably the first and last time "flip" was ever use as an adjective, but for the record, what writers generally took from that isn't too at odds with what I'm seeing here.  People earlier complained that this film's Sonic is too much like Deadpool, but as a major part of Deadpool is that he has cancer and keeping a sense of humor is his way of coping with pain, I don't see how that's too at odds with how people expect Sonic fo act.  Desire to have fun, even when under pressure, is a near constant with Sonic.  Even at his low point in 06, that was still his stated philosophy, though it didn't come through that he was having fun due to bad writing.

He's Deadpool and Ezra Miller's Flash. And he searched for the fun in that he was a punk kid hunting for thrills who lazed around otherwise. The OVA and Adventure One showed such.

Thanks for the heads-up on We Got This Covered; I wasn't aware of their shaky record. I'm updating our article to reflect that. 😨

• Thumbs Up 3