Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Myst said:

According to this article, an unnamed source from Paramount is saying that the company is hoping that Sonic the Hedgehog will be the first in a trilogy of films and the studio is considering making A ROBOTNIK SPINOFF FILM.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/sonic-hedgehog-movie-spawn-trilogy/

Look guys, I really need to point something out about that site. Their extremely unreliable, with very, very rarely being accurate. So just like with that recent Crash film rumor from them, take this with a grain of salt.

I want the film to do good enough to spawn sequels sure & I'm excited for it. But doing this kind of thing before it even comes out? Why? I get it's for clicks but after the film does so well after premiering that kind of announcement would likely follow. Just like with Pikachu, Tomb Raider, Jurassic World, Spongebob & others did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, StaticMania said:

They don't, but I said it probably won't even be meaningful enough to matter when they do.

Like, outside of the humor that comes from their interactions, the interactions themselves wouldn't properly display their differences during versus outside of being hero and villain.

If Robotonic wasn't already seen as eccentric in the trailers they, the only differences they have that we see is that he's got weird quirks and Sonic despite being pretty hyperactive is comparatively normal.

That's more of a problem with the movie makers then.

13 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Everyone keeps saying "Sonic needs to be cool" but don't understand how subjective of a term the word "cool" means to people. Many people view that word completely differently. I know people who DO think this film looks "cool" and they're not even Sonic fans. Do you want him to be a stereotypical 90's character that tries unbarably hard to be cool? Do you want him to be exactly like modern Sonic? Do you want a Sonic similar to Star Lord from Guardians Of The Galaxy? Do you want Sonic to be quoting stupid outdated slang/memes? Just saying "I want him to be cool" isn't descriptive at all.

You know Sonic actually had a personality for himself made by the trio of Naka, Oshima, Yasuhara? No one said he had to be "cool." What he is though is in the words of Naka "impertinent and cheeky." He was slacking around whenever he wasn't adventuring. Treated Tails like an annoying little bro.

14 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Sonic Boom got pretty wacky as a comedic cartoon as well. And it was praised.

It was an animated sitcom based on a failed attempt to reboot the franchise with the characters remade to reflect it.

14 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

(rather than just seeing something done over again or taking the already silly idea of a live action Sonic movie super seriously).

Sonic should be taken seriously when made.

 

12 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

As the back of the USA box for his first game described Sonic: "He's flip and funny, yet tough as nails".  Probably the first and last time "flip" was ever use as an adjective, but for the record, what writers generally took from that isn't too at odds with what I'm seeing here.  People earlier complained that this film's Sonic is too much like Deadpool, but as a major part of Deadpool is that he has cancer and keeping a sense of humor is his way of coping with pain, I don't see how that's too at odds with how people expect Sonic fo act.  Desire to have fun, even when under pressure, is a near constant with Sonic.  Even at his low point in 06, that was still his stated philosophy, though it didn't come through that he was having fun due to bad writing.

He's Deadpool and Ezra Miller's Flash. And he searched for the fun in that he was a punk kid hunting for thrills who lazed around otherwise. The OVA and Adventure One showed such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, we'll just have to wait and see what the movie does, then. It's going to be a damn shame if it doesn't do well after they took the time to listen to fan backlash, something almost nobody else does. People only care about Marvel, Disney and Comic Book Movies nowadays. Underrated wonders like Detective Pikachu or Godzilla don't get enough love. I can only hope this catches a few eyes and does well. If it does, I bet a Robotnik centric thing is a given, if not, that'd be sad but at least we'll still have this one appearance. Plus the games will still be around at least. And who knows, maybe someone else will give it a shot later on (hopefully more involved with Sonic Team or at least someone who knows Sonic well. And also an animated movie with a more established Sonic world this time, like Unleashed or something would be nice. Marza Planet could make it breathtaking)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sonario said:

Hmmm, we'll just have to wait and see what the movie does, then. It's going to be a damn shame if it doesn't do well after they took the time to listen to fan backlash, something almost nobody else does. People only care about Marvel, Disney and Comic Book Movies nowadays. Underrated wonders like Detective Pikachu or Godzilla don't get enough love. I can only hope this catches a few eyes and does well. If it does, I bet a Robotnik centric thing is a given, if not, that'd be sad but at least we'll still have this one appearance. Plus the games will still be around at least. And who knows, maybe someone else will give it a shot later on (hopefully more involved with Sonic Team or at least someone who knows Sonic well. And also an animated movie with a more established Sonic world this time, like Unleashed or something would be nice. Marza Planet could make it breathtaking)

Are we still acting like the older design is the only thing to object to about the movie? And not you know, Sonic's personality, pushing the Two-Worlds retcon with what it suggests about Sonic and his place among humans (which the movie says he has to be all off-the-wall while the humans besides Eggman aren't since he needs to be in opposition to humans)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sonario said:

Hmmm, we'll just have to wait and see what the movie does, then. It's going to be a damn shame if it doesn't do well after they took the time to listen to fan backlash, something almost nobody else does.

It can both fail to turn a profit and be proof that listening to feedback is worthwhile if not ideal for Paramount. A dissapointing loss is better than a disasterous one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's more to what's wrong with this movie than a design of Sonic.

At the end of the day, he just doesn't act like the Sonic who became an icon. More of some weird composite of Meme Sonic and the already mentioned superheroes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Almar said:

There's more to what's wrong with this movie than a design of Sonic.

At the end of the day, he just doesn't act like the Sonic who became an icon. More of some weird composite of Meme Sonic and the already mentioned superheroes

Not to be that guy, but this is an origin story. So by the way he acts, this is a younger Sonic than in the Modern games. It's the character we know him as that he has to grow into. Because look at it this way, if Sonic's personality was like the Adventure/Modern games from the start of the film. It would kind of do away with the "origin story" aspect.

Which ties into the whole "shoe" situation. How does he get his iconic shoes? Obviously he doesn't have any (Baby Sonic keychain), then comes to Earth and goes threw a bunch of them before getting the iconic ones. Of course, that's still to be confirmed, but that's what I'm getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Not to be that guy, but this is an origin story. So by the way he acts, this is a younger Sonic than in the Modern games. It's the character we know him as that he has to grow into.

Just an attempt to make Sonic into a poor man's superhero.

37 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Because look at it this way, if Sonic's personality was like the Adventure/Modern games from the start of the film. It would kind of do away with the "origin story" aspect.

Not really, unless you subscribe to the George Lucas Rule of prequel making. Not every part of Sonic as a character needs a dark mysterious past to address. He may just be like that.

37 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Which ties into the whole "shoe" situation. How does he get his iconic shoes? Obviously he doesn't have any (Baby Sonic keychain), then comes to Earth and goes threw a bunch of them before getting the iconic ones. Of course, that's still to be confirmed, but that's what I'm getting.

How is showing how Sonic got his shoes not just cheap fanservice? They're shoes. Men buy shoes. And his shoes are a Michael Jackson reference to begin with.

Also:

>comes to Earth

Notice the problem with that. Also, I'll point out that if anything Sonic's backstory in this movie would fit his intended personality by Naka and Co. better than what it's actually doing. What with him lounging around when not seeking fun, telling Tails to shut up for annoying him, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Not to be that guy, but this is an origin story. So by the way he acts, this is a younger Sonic than in the Modern games. It's the character we know him as that he has to grow into. Because look at it this way, if Sonic's personality was like the Adventure/Modern games from the start of the film. It would kind of do away with the "origin story" aspect.

Even if they insisted on making it an origin story, there's any number of ways they could've written him, they weren't locked into this specific interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding him getting his shoes, I'm getting StC vibes where Kintobor gives him the friction resistant pair to enable him to run faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't expect this movie to nail its goals, but I think Almar et al may be extrapolating too much about Sonic's behavior from what elements are being shown in the trailer.  Sure; being laid back may be as much a part of his character as being a thrill seeker, clown and superhero, but those are the flashy things Sonic is marketed around.  Lounging on a reclining chair, which is something anyone can do, regardless of physical abilities, is not trailer material.  Doing things that utilize Sonic's abilities certainly is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I don't expect this movie to nail its goals, but I think Almar et al may be extrapolating too much about Sonic's behavior from what elements are being shown in the trailer.  Sure; being laid back may be as much a part of his character as being a thrill seeker, clown and superhero, but those are the flashy things Sonic is marketed around.  Lounging on a reclining chair, which is something anyone can do, regardless of physical abilities, is not trailer material.  Doing things that utilize Sonic's abilities certainly is.

Why not do both? Have him chill out in places only he can get to.

Shit, one of the pre-redesign posters was already exactly that, which is probably the only compliment I ever would've paid it at that time.

DvdHX4SX4AEBwec.jpg-large.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just him lounging around. It's him telling Tails to shut up for making a ruckus when he's relaxing, flipping the bird, ignoring Tails when he's gushing over the Egg Carrier transformation, even him giving the player a nasty look for taking too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe I'm saying this given my unbridled hatred for this movie before the redesign (still not sold on a live action Sonic film, but no point fighting it now), but maybe we should wait to see the film before we make a final call on Sonic's personality? Trailers can cut and twist footage in a matter that could totally change the perceived tone and pacing of the film... lest we forget Gangster's Paradise.

Also might be worth mentioning that this is (unfortunately) an origin story, so it could also involve Sonic shaping up into the more established personality type we're used to. Just throwing that idea out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Almar said:

It's not just him lounging around. It's him telling Tails to shut up for making a ruckus when he's relaxing, flipping the bird, ignoring Tails when he's gushing over the Egg Carrier transformation, even him giving the player a nasty look for taking too long.

With the exception of that last one, none of those have been common things.  Prefer that brand of Sonic all you want, but to act as if Sonic has never before been portrayed as a goofball or superhero is objectively wrong.

And I think a big part of this is that we draw different conclusions of Sonic from the bit with him signaling impatience in his idle animations.  You extrapolate from that bit that Sonic is willing to be rude with very little provocation, thus grounds to complain that he is too pleasant here.  My interpretation is that Sonic loves moving and gets neurotic when he doesn't, thus grounds for me to appreciate how playful he is here.  And it's not like we're absolutely assured he won't ever mouth off to someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's weird how you act like the proper series (so not like SatAM or something) when Sonic was actually a worthy rival of Mario (as in the Genesis Era games and Adventure) and expanded universe that actually had notable influence from Genesis Sonic's makers are irrelevant or one-offs rather than something that should define the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

 You extrapolate from that bit that Sonic is willing to be rude with very little provocation, thus grounds to complain that he is too pleasant here.  My interpretation is that Sonic loves moving and gets neurotic when he doesn't, thus grounds for me to appreciate how playful he is here.

These are both weird interpretations of those idle animations when one of his listed traits that is that he's impatient.

The evolution of Sonic's idle animation leans towards getting bored/tired whenever the players not moving or stretching because the player isn't moving.

Sonic's no stranger to being hyperactive and bombastic, it's really rare in adaptations.

Sonic being an attitude-ridden rude snarky boy is just completely downplayed in favor of him being the more mellow adventurer he became since the jump to 3D.

Also, he's not very consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Also might be worth mentioning that this is (unfortunately) an origin story, so it could also involve Sonic shaping up into the more established personality type we're used to. Just throwing that idea out there. 

Basically my thoughts exactly! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Almar said:

It's weird how you act like the proper series (so not like SatAM or something) when Sonic was actually a worthy rival of Mario (as in the Genesis Era games and Adventure) and expanded universe that actually had notable influence from Genesis Sonic's makers are irrelevant or one-offs rather than something that should define the character.

They're not irrelevant or one-offs, but most of them offer only scant insight into Sonic's personality.  There's a big difference between tapping one's foot when waiting around, and giving someone the middle finger; not to mention being callous towards people drowning.  I seriously don't know why you're whining so damn much about the movie Sonic in particular not being mean enough, when Sonic hasn't acted that mean in any plots for over a decade.

As for DIC's take on things, it hasn't had much bearing on the games, but for a while it had quite an immense influence on other spin-off media.  It was many Western fans' impression of what Sonic's canon was, and even now, in IDW's new series, it lives on in the form of a more menacing Eggman.  This movie, while it is largely it's own thing, is not under any obligation to ignore DIC's Sonic media, and that it calls Robotnik by that surname and calls back to the idea of Sonic originating on another planet might well imply that it's pitched at old American fans; at least partially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic being an attitude-ridden rude snarky boy is just completely downplayed in favor of him being the more mellow adventurer he became since the jump to 3D.

Not completely downplayed.  He has his moments of shoving his swagger in peoples' faces, such as mocking air travel in the City Escape intro, spanking himself to taunt pursuing cops in Sonic X, of course numerous jabs at Eggman, and perplexingly even at emotionless robots who don't react in Sonic Colors.  Even in this movie's widely-despised first trailer, casually saying "I took nine-million steps today" before smashing a bunch of iDrones could count as an example.  However, there seem to be two primary rules to this:

1) Sonic will only deploy such mockery against those deliberately tormenting him.

2) There's always humor involved.  Maybe not LOL humor, but Sonic's mockeries are never just straight insults like "You're a moron!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.