Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

17 minutes ago, Sonario said:

Plus let's wait to see the actual movie before jumping to conclusions about how he's nothing like Sonic in terms of personality. We might get some other bits of characterizations different from what we've seen in the trailers so far since Sonic being a jerk wouldn't really be as marketable as him being a fun, hyperactive cartoon character (Something they probably realized after the reaction to the Gangsta's Paradise edgy trailer).

I am making an educated guess that after the hostile reception Shadow the Hedgehog got, people aren't going to risk making Sonic needlessly controversial.  That edgelord schtick was only viable when no game characters edgier than Sonic existed, and now that gamers who want more edge have so many better options for that, pushing the envelope too much is just going to lose Sonic more fans than it would gain him.

4 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

They're not irrelevant or one-offs, but most of them offer only scant insight into Sonic's personality.  There's a big difference between tapping one's foot when waiting around, and giving someone the middle finger; not to mention being callous towards people drowning.  I seriously don't know why you're whining so damn much about the movie Sonic in particular not being mean enough, when Sonic hasn't acted that mean in any plots for over a decade.

We already established Sonic isn't doing so hot nowadays. And the upcoming movie Sonic doesn't look to be anymore particularly well-done as a character than in whatever else Iizuka and Co. are doing with him. What part of "creator intent which served to make Sonic a hit" are you missing?

4 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

As for DIC's take on things, it hasn't had much bearing on the games, but for a while it had quite an immense influence on other spin-off media.  It was many Western fans' impression of what Sonic's canon was, and even now, in IDW's new series, it lives on in the form of a more menacing Eggman.  This movie, while it is largely it's own thing, is not under any obligation to ignore DIC's Sonic media, and that it calls Robotnik by that surname and calls back to the idea of Sonic originating on another planet might well imply that it's pitched at old American fans; at least partially.

Sonic Team already tried pandering to the "I hate all humans except Eggman, need muh planet of furries, muh robotnik" crowd (hence Two-Worlds). Don't know what we need the movie makers to do it too for.

2 hours ago, Sonario said:

Yeah I have to say that while Sonic's 'tude has been more and more downplayed in his modern appearances throughout different forms of media, I don't think he's ever been an outright jerk like he was in the OVA.

His personality there was really the same as it was in Adventure One (insulting Knuckles for falling for Eggman's trick, shrugging when Tails crashes, ignoring him when he's going on about how cool the Egg Carrier).

Re: Sonic's movie personality.

I'm personally on the side that's excited for the movie after the redesign and trailer 2 release but the tonal whiplash between trailers 1 and 2 makes me really wanna wait and see what the actual movie is going with. Trailer 2 feels very deliberately edited to focus on gags compared to trailer 1 which awkwardly took itself too seriously aside from 1 or 2 jokes.

Trailer 2 doesn't let us see the downtime between gags which I think will be needed to properly get a feel for this version of Sonic. Like others have said I expect we're also going to see some sort of devlopment where he starts off more immature, unjustifiably cocky with his speed, more happy to wash his hands of trouble and transitions into having that sense of responsibility to do good where he can.

I'm half expecting some sort of realisation moment where he partly blames himself for the creation of the genuine-threat Robotnik as opposed to the loose-cannon, egotistical scientist he starts off as. Had Sonic not arrived on Earth, Robotnik wouldn't have had him to obsess over.

Well, here is the tweet that confirmed the owl's name, if anybody is curious.:

Translation: «I remember that #Longclaw always told me:" Sonic, go slowly but without pause. " I never got to understand it, really. And what phrase do you remember being told often? »@Fenometrix @ Rafenton00 @ Someone0049 Signed: #Sonic

This pretty much confirmed that the Reddit leak is true.

8 hours ago, Almar said:

His personality there was really the same as it was in Adventure One (insulting Knuckles for falling for Eggman's trick, shrugging when Tails crashes, ignoring him when he's going on about how cool the Egg Carrier).

Insulting Knuckles for falling for Eggman's trick AGAIN after all the stuff he did in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and after already getting betrayed by him once. I think that justifies calling him a Knucklehead. He didn't insult him too harshly or flip him the bird either, and used a more lighthearted play on words (Knuckles, Knucklehead) in a teasing way instead of just being pissed.

Sure he shrugged after Tails crashed and said "what am I gonna do with you", but also immediately went to check on him (without Tails having to scream in help and be in mortal danger right in front of him) and expressed relief that he was alright. He sounded more exasperated than irritated at him crashing. Heck, he even called him "too good of a pilot" to crash and expressed concern about him crashing. He didn't just straight up ignore him screaming for help right in front of him and tell him to shut up either. Plus he went to help Tails despite knowing he's probably not gonna die if he's not around, as Tails has survived crashes like these without a scratch before (Like Sonic 2 where he got shot down by the Wing Fortress)

Tails was going on about the creation of the guy they're trying to stop causing further problems for them. It makes sense that Sonic would be annoyed that Tails is fanboying at something that's giving them trouble. It's not like he's ignoring or being annoyed at Tails for being excited about machines when they don't have any real problems to worry about and when the machine in question isn't a hazard they have to deal with. Heck, there's even a moment where SONIC is awed at the size of the carrier and TAILS is the one who tells him to focus.

So yeah, Adventure 1 Sonic had a bit of 'tude, but he wasn't really portrayed as the callous jerk you seem to envision him to be. He's not exactly well-mannered but he isn't a delinquent who's rude to his friends and only steps in to save the day when he feels there's no one else to do it either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'mma be that guy... I'mma be that fan. I want Sonic from SA2 back. In looks personal all of it. This movie child sonic is not for me... and that's the sad part. Sega.. just let me play SA1 and 2 on my PS4 :c

I am wondering how nonfans or the like 80% of people going to see this movie will think of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Remynaka said:

I'mma be that guy... I'mma be that fan. I want Sonic from SA2 back. In looks personal all of it. This movie child sonic is not for me... and that's the sad part. Sega.. just let me play SA1 and 2 on my PS4 :c

I am wondering how nonfans or the like 80% of people going to see this movie will think of it. 

Children will probably like Sonic, but that's assuning they see it.  Adults--and the majority of adults who see this will likely be ones who know of Sonic--will probably be split on it, but at least the segment of the fanbase that likes to laugh at Sonic could be pleased.  For what it's worth, I think using Sonic's speed as a factor in various gags could keep it from being as generic as it would be otherwise, but a lot of the joke writing in this movie looks iffy.

The best takeaway I can reasonably expect from this movie is that it's fun to be Sonic.  Not that his world is an interesting one or that it's cast has much depth, but then those things haven't really been true for a decade.

Well, the Sonic Movie Twitter wants you to vote which of these is the best to choose for the Twitter emoji.:

• Thumbs Up 2

I voted for the selfie, as it's more notably distinct from the other and calling the other "Super Sonic" is rather erroneous.

• Thumbs Up 1

New pictures of more Sonic movie merchandise that will be sold in theaters.:

They seem to just change Sonic's eyes and the colors of the cup toppers.:

Spoiler

EN0WGNLWkAAh2Gb.jpg

EAiwEzqWkAEv12Y.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

12 hours ago, Remynaka said:

I want Sonic from SA2 back.

SA2 Sonic for president.

"I'll slam dunk it in there!"

• Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Hide contents

EN0WGNLWkAAh2Gb.jpg

EAiwEzqWkAEv12Y.jpg

What a shame they had to stick with that awful design with different eyes crudely painted over the top. I wonder how much of the movie merch with suffer from this?

I'd prefer not to have to remind you guys to avoid trailer release speculation and impatience again.

17 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Hide contents

EN0WGNLWkAAh2Gb.jpg

EAiwEzqWkAEv12Y.jpg

13 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

What a shame they had to stick with that awful design with different eyes crudely painted over the top. I wonder how much of the movie merch with suffer from this?

Somehow, the lanky, roughly human-shaped original design looks uglier when it's plastic than when it's a furry 3d model.  I'm not sure why; maybe realistic fur sold my brain on its viability, for existing though not for doing Sonic-style acrobatics, while being in plastic without that fur just emphasizes that it's "wrong Sonic".  

Of course, the flip side is that toys, even if inaccurate to the movie due to being outdated, probably won't have that horrific Clutch Cargo-like human mouth.  I would wager that if the original design didn't have that in footage, the design wouldn't become so infamous as to warrant a fix.  Sonic fans would be skeptical, others would just be unimpressed; not triggered into a frenzy of memetic mockery.

16 hours ago, Tarnish said:

SA2 Sonic for president.

"I'll slam dunk it in there!"

" I'm just a guy who loves Adventure." But my fav qoute... " I HATE YOU!!! You always leave me behind and have all the FUNNNN!" xD Love you Amy.

Something that has occurred to me about this: While the trailers just display Sonic being goofy and lighthearted--except when he's in trouble--most of the promotional renders, particularly since Hesse's redesign, have instead played up his edge.  This seems like the first time in years that Sonic has put on an air of "I'm here to kick your ass and have fun doing it."  Exactly how much of that will be in the movie remains to be seen, but at least they aren't afraid of these aggressive-looking images hurting their brand.

While we're here, for all the brouhaha about movie Sonic not having conjoined eyes, even in past designs Sonic frequently scrunched his brow down between his eyes when conveying determination, anger, etc.  So now that the movie model's eyes are bigger and can change shape, that they're separate doesn't seem wrong to me at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Something that has occurred to me about this: While the trailers just display Sonic being goofy and lighthearted--except when he's in trouble--most of the promotional renders, particularly since Hesse's redesign, have instead played up his edge.  This seems like the first time in years that Sonic has put on an air of "I'm here to kick your ass and have fun doing it."  Exactly how much of that will be in the movie remains to be seen, but at least they aren't afraid of these aggressive-looking images hurting their brand.

While we're here, for all the brouhaha about movie Sonic not having conjoined eyes, even in past designs Sonic frequently scrunched his brow down between his eyes when conveying determination, anger, etc.  So now that the movie model's eyes are bigger and can change shape, that they're separate doesn't seem wrong to me at all.

Maybe Movie Sonic's design just has a more "grittier" feeling than Modern.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

The Kirby eyebrow marketing tactic.

30 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

The Kirby eyebrow marketing tactic.

Maybe, but then, Kirby actually is really powerful and many of his games display it.  It's not like anyone thought there wouldn't be action in this film.

Um...Kirby's angry eyes aren't related to power...

It's because America is HARDCORE.

So HARDCORE that a Pink ball with angry eyes is somehow just that much more appealing to this audience.

43 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Um...Kirby's angry eyes aren't related to power...

It's because America is HARDCORE.

So HARDCORE that a Pink ball with angry eyes is somehow just that much more appealing to this audience.

I'm well-aware that was what Coot was referencing.  My point is that just because something is an identifiable marketing tactic doesn't necessarily mean it's false advertising.  So maybe Sonic does, in fact, do some edgy or at least badass and serious things in this film.

22 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's false advertising?

Not a lot of character outside the movie, right?

I never said it was false advertising.  I said it might not be.  READ CLOSER.