Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

It's amazing how they're managing to make him seem more and more annoying.

You know, 'being cool' and 'being annoying' are not the same thing.

Oh who am I kidding, making him cool hasn't been their intention for like at least a decade now.

Junkie XL, the Sonic movie composer on the music.:

Spoiler

Holkenborg told TSSZ that he originally pitched the use of the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip, the core synthesizer behind the Genesis sound system, to drive the movie’s soundtrack. Studio heads pushed instead for an orchestral score, but Holkenborg tells TSSZ he still used a similar Yamaha synthesizer chip on some instruments, like drums and keys. The YM2612 chip’s unique sounds have proven very difficult to emulate even today, so both Sonic and Sega fans should have their ears at the ready for any audio cues during the film.

And with Green Hill a driving scenic theme throughout the movie–in Sonic’s and the real world–Holkenborg tells TSSZ he wanted to use the iconic Green Hill Zone music throughout the soundtrack as a central theme. Legal reasons prevented that, and that should come as little surprise. With the rights to the theme held by its original composer, Dreams Come True frontman Masato Nakamura, not even Tee Lopes’s rendition made it onto official releases of Sonic Mania‘s soundtrack, for example. Nakamura will get a writing credit for Green Hill when the soundtrack is officially released.

Source

Also, a Sonic movie lollipop.:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

More new footage.:

Something interesting I noticed in that TV spot.. Carrey's voice seems to change when he says 'You're mine, HEDGEHOG!' Like he's really trying to do a Robotnik voice instead of just talking like normally does.

The AMAs did mention Robotnik slowly goes insane throughout the movie. Could that be at the end of the movie? Robotnik's 'true' voice?

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Junkie XL, the Sonic movie composer on the music.:

Hide contents

Holkenborg told TSSZ that he originally pitched the use of the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip, the core synthesizer behind the Genesis sound system, to drive the movie’s soundtrack. Studio heads pushed instead for an orchestral score, but Holkenborg tells TSSZ he still used a similar Yamaha synthesizer chip on some instruments, like drums and keys. The YM2612 chip’s unique sounds have proven very difficult to emulate even today, so both Sonic and Sega fans should have their ears at the ready for any audio cues during the film.

And with Green Hill a driving scenic theme throughout the movie–in Sonic’s and the real world–Holkenborg tells TSSZ he wanted to use the iconic Green Hill Zone music throughout the soundtrack as a central theme. Legal reasons prevented that, and that should come as little surprise. With the rights to the theme held by its original composer, Dreams Come True frontman Masato Nakamura, not even Tee Lopes’s rendition made it onto official releases of Sonic Mania‘s soundtrack, for example. Nakamura will get a writing credit for Green Hill when the soundtrack is officially released.

Source

Also, a Sonic movie lollipop.:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm curious what all is up with Masato Nakamura's music.  Whatever legal barriers exist didn't prevent them from putting a Green Hill motif in some trailers, which don't in themselves earn much money, so it would be odd not to hear that in the movie itself.  Moreover, does anyone really have a problem with sending him royalties?  Less profit for the new soundtrack itself, sure, but soundtracks aren't what are supposed to generate most movie profits, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Oh who am I kidding, making him cool hasn't been their intention for like at least a decade now.

I also liked the cow butt footage, the joke is ok, whatever, but I'm really loving the energy, Sonic isn't cool in this movie, he is super confident, hyperactive, energetic, cocky, not relaxed… Actually my favorite Sonic is cocky and rebel, which is sorta here too, but he acts like a child in this case, which is more of the downside for me, but still pretty in-character. I don't get how bored and "done" Sonic is cool in any way though, he's just… bored and cynical, like in Sonic Boom. This Sonic is the opposite of cynical, which I do like, actually. 

Annoying is basically the line they don't have to cross for him being too cocky, I get it, Sonic is like that sometimes, but it doesn't make for a good protagonist, we also have to see how he and Tom contrast each other, Tom is more the cynical sarcastic guy in this film, but good hearted, and Sonic is also good hearted so it should be interesting to see their dynamic. Not gonna talk about Maddie because she's basically a minor extension of Tom here.

5 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

More new footage.:

But I do looooove this spot! Sonic vs Robotnik, so much energy and banter, Jim is killing it here. It's exactly what I want to see from a Sonic movie, can't believe they delivered, look, I never thought this movie would be absolutely awful, I don't think it'll be that awesome honestly, it will be in the middle, not generic but very cliché as Others said it would be. It's a cinecomic starring Sonic, although comedy adventure is what it needs to be, probably the best option, it still feels like it's playing very safe.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Tarnish said:

"Cool" these days is saying random thing and not taking matters seriously. Jokes, however unfunny, are paramount. You see it a lot in super hero films where any time something serious is supposed to happen, one of the characters makes an unnatural quip to show the audience that they're not taking themselves too seriously.

This isn't supposed to be a "back in my day" kind of post; I'm just trying to say how things change. Having an attitude used to be cool, being dark and brooding is still cool in another way. The problem with being a cool character like Sonic is that trends change. What most popular though is being loud, quotable and memeable. Gotta be loud and constantly pointing out the obvious. The Sonic movie is going right for that kind of humour. Fuck, even the first line of dialogue we every heard from this film was "gotta go fast". Treading the line between cool and annoying is hard.

But yeah I do agree that this Sonic is incredibly annoying. "Hey look at this I took nine million steps today", "Whoop whoop!", the whole of the "world's largest rubber band ball" and baseball scenes. It's all subjective, but everything about this films take on humour and cool is a big miss to me.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

More new footage.:

"YOU"RE MIIINE HEDGEHOG!!!"

CHILLS!! If anyone still has any doubts about Jim Carrey not having enough Eggman-ness, this should help clear things up. That little clip almost has shades of both Long John Baldry and Mike Pollock! If nothing else, Robotnik is sure to please most Sonic fans who'll watch the movie. It's certainly shaping up to be awesome! So hyped!

I don't think there was a scene/joke so far I genuinely found funny. This "being an obnoxious, loud, hyperactive goofball" is definitely not my taste, never was, never will be. I would be surprised if there wasn't a scene where he shows up wearing a Sawnik t-shirt...because as we all know, that's peak humor.

• Thumbs Up 5

I just wish they found a nice balance between Sonic in Boom and Sonic X who was asleep most of the time, even in his expressions (Boom mostly), and this. We know he won't be like this (hyperactive and annoying) at the beginning of the movie, but more insecure, so at least you'll find something that will try to please you.

Honestly, the more I see of Tom, he’s the one getting more annoying to me. He’s really starting to push that supposed audience surrogate stuff by pointing out how dumb a lot of the stuff Sonic does is. 

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think part of the problem with how Sonic is portrayed is literally just how hyperactive he is. Regardless of the subjectivity of "cool", if there is one thing that Sonic team has typically been consistent with has always been that Sonic is usually very laid back and chill. If Sonic isn't laid back and chill it is usually due to surprise or his anger actually coming to the fore and showing his rarely seen quiet and intense side. And I won't take the he's a kid excuse either in this case as I knew kids back in grade school who were laid back and chill and being laid back is a teenager stereotype for aloof characters, something that Sonic typically is described as. So this who hyperactive kid instead of aloof and laid back teenager is particularly jarring. Even for as much as Sonic has turned into a standup comedian in some games he is still usually laid back and chill. Heck, BOOM! took that to it's utmost extreme yet the movie is going in the complete opposite direction. i can get that laid back and chill characters aren't a popular or perceived as cool like back in the nineties, but it at least used to be a core component of Sonic's character.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

"Cool" these days is saying random thing and not taking matters seriously. Jokes, however unfunny, are paramount. You see it a lot in super hero films where any time something serious is supposed to happen, one of the characters makes an unnatural quip to show the audience that they're not taking themselves too seriously.

This isn't supposed to be a "back in my day" kind of post; I'm just trying to say how things change. Having an attitude used to be cool, being dark and brooding is still cool in another way. The problem with being a cool character like Sonic is that trends change. What most popular though is being loud, quotable and memeable. Gotta be loud and constantly pointing out the obvious. The Sonic movie is going right for that kind of humour. Fuck, even the first line of dialogue we every heard from this film was "gotta go fast". Treading the line between cool and annoying is hard.

But yeah I do agree that this Sonic is incredibly annoying. "Hey look at this I took nine million steps today", "Whoop whoop!", the whole of the "world's largest rubber band ball" and baseball scenes. It's all subjective, but everything about this films take on humour and cool is a big miss to me.

Based on something I have read elsewhere, some of the trailer scenes reflect that Sonic has gotten so bored and lonely that he may be a bit insane.  That said, Sonic being lonely is not a conflict this film needed to have, and seems to be a symptom of their forced-in plot point about Sonic having electric powers that villains can steal and use.   I personally don't find him annoying, but I don't find him consistently funny either, and if this lasts long enough in the movie, it definitely will be annoying.

With how half-assed the comedy looks to be, I'm thinking the best people can hope for is the film is forgettebly bland instead of memetically terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I think part of the problem with how Sonic is portrayed is literally just how hyperactive he is. Regardless of the subjectivity of "cool", if there is one thing that Sonic team has typically been consistent with has always been that Sonic is usually very laid back and chill. If Sonic isn't laid back and chill it is usually due to surprise or his anger actually coming to the fore and showing his rarely seen quiet and intense side. And I won't take the he's a kid excuse either in this case as I knew kids back in grade school who were laid back and chill and being laid back is a teenager stereotype for aloof characters, something that Sonic typically is described as. So this who hyperactive kid instead of aloof and laid back teenager is particularly jarring. Even for as much as Sonic has turned into a standup comedian in some games he is still usually laid back and chill. Heck, BOOM! took that to it's utmost extreme yet the movie is going in the complete opposite direction. i can get that laid back and chill characters aren't a popular or perceived as cool like back in the nineties, but it at least used to be a core component of Sonic's character.

I'm not sure it's a good thing for Sonic though, leaving for a second the fact that I hate Sonic as a laid back bored monoexpressive sleepy guy, I just want a middle ground for his characterization.

Second, I forgot to say that we are still judging what we can, the material we have given, but it's just pieces of a puzzle at this point, it's not a cohesive story yet, without the full picture we can't judge Sonic's characterization or his character arc.

From what I've read and seen about the story, it depends on the circumstance of his life, lonely at first and kinda desperate, shy, then in the trailer at one point (the scenes with Tom, the rivalry with Robotnik) he's having the time of his life and that is why he's so excited. It's very much possible he will change again at the end and/or in the sequel movie depending on what happens (if there is a second movie, first).

5 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I think part of the problem with how Sonic is portrayed is literally just how hyperactive he is.

Personally I like the idea of Sonic being hyperactive, for a long time it is a take on his character I wanted to see. Furthermore in general I simply enjoy the idea of speedy characters being full of energy and the world being just to slow for them. Sure it isn't the same old take on his character that Sega normally does, however that doesn't mean it isn't a good interpenetration for his character. I understand most fans want consistency... However I not really been a big fan of how Modern Sonic's personality has been portrayed in the games starting from the adventure games onward... so a change from that is welcomed in my book.

• Thumbs Up 1

A different take isn't necessarily a bad thing, but personally Sonic being more laid back is something that stands out about him to me when compared to other cartoony speedsters. It's a sensible direction for a character with super speed so I get it, and I'm open minded to alternate continuities being different etc. but I'm just meh about it overall. I'd go as far as to say it's emblematic of how generic the movie feels.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Celestia said:

A different take isn't necessarily a bad thing, but personally Sonic being more laid back is something that stands out about him to me when compared to other cartoony speedsters. It's a sensible direction for a character with super speed so I get it, and I'm open minded to alternate continuities being different etc. but I'm just meh about it overall. I'd go as far as to say it's emblematic of how generic the movie feels.

The film does seem to reek of the writers plugging its characters and their world(s) into a previously-established set of tropes, instead of drawing on the brand's own lore.  Sonic's a cartoon animal, so his parents must die. It's a movie adapting a cartoon, so it must be mostly live-action and feature the title character warping into our world.  Its villain is a mad scientist who makes robots, so let's make them look like generic SciFi robots.  So making Sonic hyperactive because he runs fast maybe falls in there as well.  

I still say that not much in the original games conveyed that Sonic was laid back, though, and him being hyper could let them squeeze in a lot of his most spectacular antics.  Kind of like Amy Rose in Sonic Battle; I really like her portrayal there as a gung-ho, reckless type who actually has the will/talent/abilities to make that work for her, learning to box as a mere side-effect of her working out to lose weight and look prettier, and keeping going even after everyone else has nearly collapse from exhaustion.  That appeal could easily belong to Sonic himself.  If the cost of that is a Fitbit joke that will become dated, so be it.  That said, if ALL of this movie's comedy is bad, it had better really have good action to make up for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's not laid back during action.

If one of Sonic's major character traits wasn't loving adventure and traveling, there's no reason he can't be laid back during downtime and be pretty hyper whenever he's in the thrill.

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Personally I like the idea of Sonic being hyperactive, for a long time it is a take on his character I wanted to see. Furthermore in general I simply enjoy the idea of speedy characters being full of energy and the world being just to slow for them. Sure it isn't the same old take on his character that Sega normally does, however that doesn't mean it isn't a good interpenetration for his character. I understand most fans want consistency... However I not really been a big fan of how Modern Sonic's personality has been portrayed in the games starting from the adventure games onward... so a change from that is welcomed in my book.

The problem is that sthick becomes real old real fast, and makes his character even more one dimensional, since he's constantly spinning at 100% percent. It's always "gotta be fast, gotta be loud, gotta be wacky and obnoxious".

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Honestly, the more I see of Tom, he’s the one getting more annoying to me. He’s really starting to push that supposed audience surrogate stuff by pointing out how dumb a lot of the stuff Sonic does is. 

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me.

He's just another Chris in that he's a random White dude who gets to be Sonic's bestest most important friend. That alone should've been enough to discredit the movie.

12 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I don't think there was a scene/joke so far I genuinely found funny. This "being an obnoxious, loud, hyperactive goofball" is definitely not my taste, never was, never will be. I would be surprised if there wasn't a scene where he shows up wearing a Sawnik t-shirt...because as we all know, that's peak humor.

It's just how Sonic's depicted in the West's memes. The movie's obviously made for those who hate the franchise outside of something like SatAM among its forced attempt to rope in kids.

2 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

The film does seem to reek of the writers plugging its characters and their world(s) into a previously-established set of tropes, instead of drawing on the brand's own lore. 

Not even Sonic Team draws on Sonic's lore anymore. Do I have to bring up Two-Worlds?

2 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I still say that not much in the original games conveyed that Sonic was laid back, though

Even ignoring how the games were constrained by technology and still followed minimalist storytelling, he didn't do anything to show he was anything like the movie's spin on Sonic. He would be called determined, a boy giving a face of defiance. And yes, we never see Sonic "on his down time" in the games.

15 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

The problem is that sthick becomes real old real fast, and makes his character even more one dimensional, since he's constantly spinning at 100% percent. It's always "gotta be fast, gotta be loud, gotta be wacky and obnoxious".

Depends on who you ask, there is some super hyper characters I adore and don't get sick of them. Plus out of few different takes on Sonic I really enjoy... I still love the AOSTH Sonic version which is somewhat a hyper version of him I guess? And I still enjoy it despite many Sonic fans saying they hate it these days. I also loved OVA Sonic along with the classic games versions of him. Before anybody asks, OVA Sonic isn't really hyperactive... I'm just saying I like it too for reference.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Arguably, this can work when a "Donkey"-type funny character has a "Shrek"-type funny character as a foil.  When the annoying character gets a bit too annoying, the more calm and grouchy character can chime in and take him down a peg with subtler but more nuanced snark humor.  The problem is there isn't a "Shrek" in this movie, from what I can see.  Unless you count Sonic calling himself out on his fart joke (such jokes as Fowler said wouldn't be in this movie, incidentally).

• Thumbs Up 1