Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Isn't Tom suppose to be that type of character?

Or he should at least be able to fill that role as well as being the straight-man...

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Isn't Tom suppose to be that type of character?

Or he should at least be able to fill that role as well as being the straight-man...

Hopefully.  Very hopefully.  This interchange implies it:

Maddie: It [Sonic] talks?!

Tom: Almost constantly.

Though how well he can do in the role with this level of writing, I don't know.

Interesting to see everyone come to the realization that the extremely lazy and generic character archetypes seen in this film are not appealing.

• Promotion 1

12 minutes ago, Natie said:

Interesting to see everyone come to the realization that the extremely lazy and generic character archetypes seen in this film are not appealing.

What do you mean?

Who's coming to any realization?

51 minutes ago, Natie said:

38 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What do you mean?

Who's coming to any realization?

I wouldn't say I'm concluding the archetypes themselves are unappealing, though they are indeed generic.  What's unappealing, in my summations based on the trailers, is how upwards of half the "jokes" are just otherwise unremarkable dialogue emphasized with shouting and pauses of surrounding sound and events.

Incidentally, I don't recall anyone here making a serious educated guess that this film wouldn't be largely generic.  The biggest surprise so far has been the reveal of how much they rendered of Sonic's homeworld.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah...I'm not doubting this movie will be good, but I do have some suspicions sometimes. This is an "adventure comedy". Not an ACTION adventure comedy. So I bet a lot of people are expecting a huge emphasis on action scenes, when really, this movie is almost primarily going to focus on its humor and its story (its characters too). There have been few jokes that got a chuckle out of me (my favorite being the child abduction joke), but other than that...the humor isn't all that impressive. I also noticed there's a lot of scenes where characters are screaming. I hope that isn't a common thing throughout the movie. and Tom has that same "WHAT!?", "NO DON'T DO THAT", "THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!", "DO NOT DO THAT", kind of personality you see in every one of these live action adaptations that have an animal friend involved (Detective Pikachu was a lot like that too).

But like I said, a major thing that has raised my suspicion is the extreme lack of advertising here in the US. I find it odd how they're JUST NOW releasing TV spots here. Do they not care about box office because the film is so bad, or are they so confident with how much publicity it gained during the post to full redesign process that they think it will succeed?

I haven't lost all hope in the jokes though. A trailer does not represent an entire movie. Dora and Angry Birds 2 looked like absolute unfunny trash in the trailers but ended up hilarious. I feel like the same case will apply here.

EDIT: I will say though I find it weird how they keep reusing the same footage in all the ads. Like the exact same thing in every one. Especially the "HOW ARE YOU NOT DEAD!?" scene

12 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

I'm not sure it's a good thing for Sonic though, leaving for a second the fact that I hate Sonic as a laid back bored monoexpressive sleepy guy, I just want a middle ground for his characterization.

There's a reason I commented on BOOM! taking it to a certain extreme. And there is a major difference between a chill character and a bored character. Sonic used to be chill, not bored, and not hyperactive.

9 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic's not laid back during action.

If one of Sonic's major character traits wasn't loving adventure and traveling, there's no reason he can't be laid back during downtime and be pretty hyper whenever he's in the thrill.

He's not laid back, but he isn't hyperactive either. He usually has a smug air of enjoying himself when he is in the action. Both the Sonic CD and Unleashed openings portray this pretty well. It's part of why I say that Sonic is chill. That isn't to say he can't enjoy himself, but going in the Speedy Gonzales direction or how the CW and DCEU have portrayed Barry Allen is just questionable. Even if you look at AoStH, Sonic was still more Bugs Bunny like and not Speedy Gonzales.

Additionally, as someone who has always read Sonic as more of an introvert than an extrovert the whole going crazy from loneliness angle doesn't sit well with me. Sure he enjoys the company of those he accepts (I won't say opens up to because they al open up to him and not the other way around), but he is described to typically be at his happiest when alone and running. Considering his speed in the movie, he should never have a problem with just running with no one to talk to. Honestly, the advertising thus far has not given me any sense of Sonic's love for running. It's kind of weird and bothers me a fair bit.

Now, I'm not going to bash going for a different interpretation out right so much as the interpretation in question, but when you try to sell the story as an origin story you have to consider what you are being an origin to. Hyperactive to chill, can't stand the loneliness to enjoying his solitude, etc, etc. There is a lot this movie is trying to do as an origin story while throwing in Tom and his story as well as Eggman. Then it pretty much being a family friendly film means a shorter run time is expected which could lead to a rushed plot and horrible pacing. This film is chewing off a lot just for trying to pitch itself as an origin story versus a new take. Frankly, at this point I'd probably be more lenient if it sold itself that way, but there hasn't been any taking it back from the marketing side or the film's defenders. So I'm not fond of a hyperactive kid take of Sonic, but I can at least forgive it if you don't tell me that I'm supposed to buy it becoming Game!Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

53 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Honestly, the advertising thus far has not given me any sense of Sonic's love for running. It's kind of weird and bothers me a fair bit.

I hate to bring attn back to the first trailer.... but what about that one?

The opening moments of that trailer, and what is supposed to be our first introduction to the movie and its titular character, is Sonic stretching - assuming a runners pose - spewing his catchphrase and then tearing off down a straight road for seemingly no other reason than to see how fast he could go.

Between those moments and the mountain of burnt out shoes, that trailer had runner's high written all over it.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I hate to bring attn back to the first trailer.... but what about that one?

The opening moments of that trailer, and what is supposed to be our first introduction to the movie and its titular character, is Sonic stretching - assuming a runners pose - spewing his catchphrase and then tearing off down a straight road for seemingly no other reason than to see how fast he could go.

Between those moments and the mountain of burnt out shoes, that trailer had runner's high written all over it.

True, the first trailer did have some hints of it. Since the advertising 180 though I have to admit it has been very easy for me to forget that. It also doesn't help the dichotomy between movie clips and other advertising with how Sonic is presented. There is a lot of conflicting imagery and  that leads me back to my above concern. Then there is also me not really wanting to think about the first trailer and "that" stretching. It repulsed me so much it isn't even funny. That scene was so wrong.

28 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

His movie catchphrase?

Last I checked, it isn't any Sonic's catchphrase in any media.  It's a line in a song written by 4Kidz, which presumably was enough to become a meme.

Though one of DiC Sonic's many catchphrases was "Gotta juice", and "juice" apparently means "go fast".

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

There's a reason I commented on BOOM! taking it to a certain extreme. And there is a major difference between a chill character and a bored character. Sonic used to be chill, not bored, and not hyperactive.

He's not laid back, but he isn't hyperactive either. He usually has a smug air of enjoying himself when he is in the action. Both the Sonic CD and Unleashed openings portray this pretty well. It's part of why I say that Sonic is chill. That isn't to say he can't enjoy himself, but going in the Speedy Gonzales direction or how the CW and DCEU have portrayed Barry Allen is just questionable. Even if you look at AoStH, Sonic was still more Bugs Bunny like and not Speedy Gonzales.

Additionally, as someone who has always read Sonic as more of an introvert than an extrovert the whole going crazy from loneliness angle doesn't sit well with me. Sure he enjoys the company of those he accepts (I won't say opens up to because they al open up to him and not the other way around), but he is described to typically be at his happiest when alone and running. Considering his speed in the movie, he should never have a problem with just running with no one to talk to. Honestly, the advertising thus far has not given me any sense of Sonic's love for running. It's kind of weird and bothers me a fair bit.

Now, I'm not going to bash going for a different interpretation out right so much as the interpretation in question, but when you try to sell the story as an origin story you have to consider what you are being an origin to. Hyperactive to chill, can't stand the loneliness to enjoying his solitude, etc, etc. There is a lot this movie is trying to do as an origin story while throwing in Tom and his story as well as Eggman. Then it pretty much being a family friendly film means a shorter run time is expected which could lead to a rushed plot and horrible pacing. This film is chewing off a lot just for trying to pitch itself as an origin story versus a new take. Frankly, at this point I'd probably be more lenient if it sold itself that way, but there hasn't been any taking it back from the marketing side or the film's defenders. So I'm not fond of a hyperactive kid take of Sonic, but I can at least forgive it if you don't tell me that I'm supposed to buy it becoming Game!Sonic.

For what it's worth, I'm an introvert too, and I still get lonely.  Not as lonely as extroverts might get if they don't see other people, and probably not the same kind of lonely, to be fair.  Stereotypical social situations like parties, mixers, bars, car trips and dinner tables, where a bunch of people gather and what they say and do is totally up to chance, clearly have their fans, but the commotion annoys and repels me.  However, I get lonely in that those things I do like and value, I often feel sad that I have nobody to share with.  I shun many social scenarios but still want friends.

However, let's be real here; the reason this film's apologetics tout it as an origin story for game Sonic isn't even primarily due to how its creators tout it (though there's some of that) but because they're trying to explain why so few iconic Sonic things appear in this movie.  As if to say, "Don't worry; they plan to make the movie you wanted, so buy this movie you didn't want so they can fund it."

Also whatever his faults as a Sonic, Movie Sonic at least isn't as painfully whiny and preachy as Grant Gustin's Flash.  Seriously, as Sonic puts it; I can't with that guy.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's definitely a problem that always annoys me. A franchise that has survived thirty years needs to be turned on it's head and thrown out to succeed just seems very disingenuous to me. If it didn't work to some degree it would not have lasted near thirty years so something about that argument doesn't quite work.

And apologies if I sold being introverted short. As someone who has no friends myself offline, and no one to talk to about the things I love and engage in I can understand that dread of loneliness all too well. Frankly, being alone is my greatest fear in life, but it doesn't drive me crazy, maybe depressed, but not hyperactive crazy. And based on your own experiences that really annoys me about Tom all the more, especially as I remember a line from the various tv spots and trailers where Sonic comments on only the flash understanding him. I've not read enough Flash to see the comparison (read next to none), but it is kind of funny hat in the games Sonic's bets friend is someone who he bonded with after Tails demonstrated he could keep up with Sonic while sonic was doing what he loves to do most; running. So how does Tom fit into that I wonder. How can Sonic share the joy of pushing yourself with all you've got and enjoying the world one step ahead of the sounds around you to someone who could never understand. I would find that far more isolating myself thinking there might be a chance only to realize you live in two totally separate worlds with no chance to share your greatest joys. i don't see how Tom can fill that hole no matter how it is written as no one in my offline life fills those holes for me. There just isn't anything believable about this friendship on a conceptual level with a Sonic who isn't already sure of himself and at ease with his place in the world.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

It's definitely a problem that always annoys me. A franchise that has survived thirty years needs to be turned on it's head and thrown out to succeed just seems very disingenuous to me. If it didn't work to some degree it would not have lasted near thirty years so something about that argument doesn't quite work.

And apologies if I sold being introverted short. As someone who has no friends myself offline, and no one to talk to about the things I love and engage in I can understand that dread of loneliness all too well. Frankly, being alone is my greatest fear in life, but it doesn't drive me crazy, maybe depressed, but not hyperactive crazy. And based on your own experiences that really annoys me about Tom all the more, especially as I remember a line from the various tv spots and trailers where Sonic comments on only the flash understanding him. I've not read enough Flash to see the comparison (read next to none), but it is kind of funny hat in the games Sonic's bets friend is someone who he bonded with after Tails demonstrated he could keep up with Sonic while sonic was doing what he loves to do most; running. So how does Tom fit into that I wonder. How can Sonic share the joy of pushing yourself with all you've got and enjoying the world one step ahead of the sounds around you to someone who could never understand. I would find that far more isolating myself thinking there might be a chance only to realize you live in two totally separate worlds with no chance to share your greatest joys. i don't see how Tom can fill that hole no matter how it is written as no one in my offline life fills those holes for me. There just isn't anything believable about this friendship on a conceptual level with a Sonic who isn't already sure of himself and at ease with his place in the world.

Okay, probably, but how about we see their friendship first? It's probably not gonna fluctuate much, but at least we see the full picture, same for Sonic's personality. I *think* they will be both lonely in the movie and that's what makes them bond, heh It's possible, it happened to me and my friends, obviously we also shared interests. I'm still not sure about their friendship, they've got to have something in common though, I guess, as I said, it depends on the circumstance which is the plot in this case, I suspect many things will change throughout the movie. But yes, I believe Sonic and Tom bond due to being alone in the same town, and they also help each other change that situation. As for me, I don't have many friends in my real life, we do share things but not everything, obviously? It's impossible I think, not even Sonic and Tails share everything, the speed and adrenaline? Yeah, I agree, that is important, Tom… I'm not sure how he fits into this, but I guess it's why we have those scenes in the police car, Tom likes to go fast too, and probably admires Sonic for his speed, hence him being impressed by Sonic being alive after crushing Robotnik's robot-car. Tom secretly admires Sonic for his speed? Possible.

27 minutes ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

Okay, probably, but how about we see their friendship first? It's probably not gonna fluctuate much, but at least we see the full picture, same for Sonic's personality. I *think* they will be both lonely in the movie and that's what makes them bond, heh It's possible, it happened to me and my friends, obviously we also shared interests. I'm still not sure about their friendship, they've got to have something in common though, I guess, as I said, it depends on the circumstance which is the plot in this case, I suspect many things will change throughout the movie. But yes, I believe Sonic and Tom bond due to being alone in the same town, and they also help each other change that situation. As for me, I don't have many friends in my real life, we do share things but not everything, obviously? It's impossible I think, not even Sonic and Tails share everything, the speed and adrenaline? Yeah, I agree, that is important, Tom… I'm not sure how he fits into this, but I guess it's why we have those scenes in the police car, Tom likes to go fast too, and probably admires Sonic for his speed, hence him being impressed by Sonic being alive after crushing Robotnik's robot-car. Tom secretly admires Sonic for his speed? Possible.

There's giving it a chance and then there is the advertising convincing me to spend my money. I'll admit I feel a lot softer on this movie than in previous months since the redesign, but it isn't selling itself to me. So sure the problems I have are based only on promotional material and some "leaks", but if that can't sell the movie to me due to my concerns which the advertising primarily adds to then how many chances am I supposed to give this movie? I'm already giving it an extra one just being here expressing my concerns, but right now it hasn't warranted my hard earned cash to give it a full watch level of chance.

Also, I find it funny that you mention the part about Tom being lonely, which I recall from some of the early talk around his character, as the man is married. Now I know most marriages really aren't all that good or even end well, but in a small town where everyone is implied to know each other it's hard to fathom him being lonely without there being something about him that doesn't gel with his life. Now if that outsider in his own home is the angle they're going with to build this friendship off of then maybe there is something there. I could even see it developing Sonic's more at ease with his place in the world and laid back and chill aspects. On the other hand, as this movie has been heavily towing the line with being a very generic adaption, there is concern to be had about the outsider indirectly solving the human lead's problems. There isn't enough that we know to really go full positive at this point. Sure you could say that for the negative views as well, but my current negative views are now based on what I have been shown. And what I have been shown versus what i know the franchise to be and how these types of stories usually play out leaves me very weary. Throw in the franchise's history and how badly this movie will be for preparing those new to the franchise to experience it and it just quickly falls apart under scrutiny.

I still blame the choice of story more so than the format though. Sonic has never been a buddy cop road trip of all things (even if Forces could have gone that way) and still don't know why they didn't take inspiration form Indiana Jones. That would have worked so much better in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

But like I said, a major thing that has raised my suspicion is the extreme lack of advertising here in the US. I find it odd how they're JUST NOW releasing TV spots here. Do they not care about box office because the film is so bad, or are they so confident with how much publicity it gained during the post to full redesign process that they think it will succeed?

4 weeks out seems like a reasonable timeframe for ramping up advertising.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, not sure if anybody notice this. SEGA Hardlight just post this. I think this seem to hint a zone for the Sonic movie promotion in Sonic Forces Mobile.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 5

16 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

New ads at a subway.:

Also, new Pizza Hut movie promotion coupon.:

How did they miss the chance to make it a chili dog pizza?!

21 hours ago, Almar said:

He's just another Chris in that he's a random White dude who gets to be Sonic's bestest most important friend. That alone should've been enough to discredit the movie.

It's just how Sonic's depicted in the West's memes. The movie's obviously made for those who hate the franchise outside of something like SatAM among its forced attempt to rope in kids.

Not even Sonic Team draws on Sonic's lore anymore. Do I have to bring up Two-Worlds?

Even ignoring how the games were constrained by technology and still followed minimalist storytelling, he didn't do anything to show he was anything like the movie's spin on Sonic. He would be called determined, a boy giving a face of defiance. And yes, we never see Sonic "on his down time" in the games.

At least IDW has dug into lore once or twice. Even the social media did it, even if only for a laugh.

I amend my last post to say that Tom's actually worse than Chris since X at least sometimes recognized Sonic's traits as defined by his fathers and Chris being a bored little rich boy looking for fun at least let him be the enthusiastic and giddy one while Sonic could be himself (his own man who goes where he pleases, lounged around, saves who he wants, depends on no one to be a hero).

As I already noted Sonic should be be the slick and lounging when not on duty one. If you need a character to be all hyper and giddy then then that's what Tails, Amy, Knuckles, and Eggman are for (the last one movie has obviously missed despite the two being foils).