Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I mean, they obviously went with the Speedy Gonzales persona for Sonic in this movie. Not that is baaaaaad per se, it's just cliché and not really how Sonic usually reacts (in the games at least). 

But I admit I really like the after-image effect they gave Sonic in some scenes, I don't think I ever saw this visual effect in speedy characters before. Usually when they want to represent a character that moves fast, they slow down everything else, see Quick Silver from the X-Men and Flash from JL. It was a good creative choice, opens up for funny gags.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

The Baby Sonic trailer now in English.:

Also, a mural.:

I also found this.:

I can't say I laughed at the English baby Sonic clip, but at least I was charmed instead of annoyed.

This movie is such fucking wasted potential. 

After Sonic's redesign, opinions of the movie seem to look more optimisticc as he looks great, his personality and action seems fun, Ben Schwartz isn't bad at all and the marketing is going all out to promote it. However, then you remember everything else such as the unfitting human cast and Robotnik's design...this movie feels like it could have been something if made by the right people. A classic movie of just Sonic vs Eggman or introducing his cast would have looked great
Edited by ShadowSJG

16 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Last I checked, it isn't any Sonic's catchphrase in any media.  It's a line in a song written by 4Kidz, which presumably was enough to become a meme.

Though one of DiC Sonic's many catchphrases was "Gotta juice", and "juice" apparently means "go fast".

Catchphrase may not be the right word, but its become prevalent enough to become synonymous with the franchise at this point.  After starting off from Sonic X, it did become a meme and the Sonic Twitter around ran with that - as they tend to do. Its been a thing ever since, even the Sanic outbreak is just an off-shoot of Gotta go Fast. 

Its actually bounced around other media too. It was in Sonic Boom as both a joke line and a full blown song. SEGA themselves have named Sonic themed panels as "Gotta Go Fast: The official Sonic Panel". Doesn't get much clear cut then that.

Come to think of it, Sonic X was extremely influential to the brand as a whole. Stuff like GGF and the concept of Shadow's inhibitor rings got ripped straight out of X and merged in with the other canons.

I doubt we'd ever get the Two-Worlds retcon if Sonic X didn't have the funny animals come from another dimension either (which fell apart there too when they had to include Gerald and Maria with their blood ties to Eggman yet try to address how he ever ended up on Sonic World). Well that, and if there wasn't the "all humans with their cities who aren't Eggman shouldn't be in Sonic" crowd.

Some lucky fan managed to get some Sonic movie merchandise. There appear to be some new ones that we haven't seen before.:

Look, this guy's music is played in the movie.:

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/kxyg4f/the-graham-norton-show--series-26-episode-16/

Fri 31 Jan 11:15pm - 12:05am BBC One

The host is joined by Hollywood great Jim Carrey, who is appearing as Doctor Robotnik in si-fi adventure Sonic the Hedgehog. Also on the sofa is Australian actress Margot Robbie, who features in new DC superhero film Birds of Prey. British star Daniel Kaluuya and newcomer Jodie Turner-Smith are also on the guest list, discussing romantic drama Queen & Slim. Plus, Lewis Capaldi performs his current single, Before You Go, and another bunch of intrepid audience members tries to recount an anecdote from the dreaded red chair.

Jack in the Box just revealed this. It’s look like it’s going to be Tiny Tacos.

Also, Sonic movie ads are starting to appear on London buses.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus, Paramount and SEGA are going all out with this movie, it's like they have faith or something. I can't imagine they doing this with the old design. Like, I really can't. Just the thought of having to pass by a giant mural with that ugly ass face while driving to work every day, sheesh, it give me the creeps. Thank God Sonic looks cute now, I wouldn't mind taking a ride on that bus even. Oh, and by God I mean Tyson.

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, Jango said:

Jesus, Paramount and SEGA are going all out with this movie, it's like they have faith or something. I can't imagine they doing this with the old design. Like, I really can't. Just the thought of having to pass by a giant mural with that ugly ass face while driving to work every day, sheesh, it give me the creeps. Thank God Sonic looks cute now, I wouldn't mind taking a ride on that bus even. Oh, and by God I mean Tyson.

All of the promotion for it right now is completely normal. Of course a restaurant is going to promote it, toys and merch is going to be made, and SEGA would have something to do with it.

Honestly, I actually don't think they're doing enough with advertising. Boom had more promotion than this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really, you're saying Boom had this:

15 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Also, a mural.:

Because I don't recall that much advertising. Toys and happy meals are one thing, this is a mural on a pretty big building. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cheers for the heads up @Rabid-Coot! Graham Norton is awesome. Can't wait to see him and Jim Carrey chat Sonic movie. The usually show a clip too I believe, so maybe we'll see something new.

Sonic Movie Playground in a mall in Brazil.:

BTW, Nintendo Germany is holding a contest where you can win a chance to go to a fan screening of the movie. It's interesting to see them promoting the Sonic movie. So, if you are German who want to participate, now it's your chance!

Also, found this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for the double post, just want to post this. I think the lady who fainted is Natasha's character.:

Wow!, he did the Smash Ultimate pose.:

Spoiler

EOwYFFmVUAA1yui.jpg

EOwYFQcU8AA4a7X.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Not gonna lie, the lack of funny lines and reuse of that same "I HAVE NO IDEA" scene is sort of bothering me. But still, very curious to see this movie and not doubting good comedy just yet. I think the "almost constantly" line is little funny, but not hilarious. Though again, that's also reused footaged.

Edit: to be fair, we have been warned that although this film is good, there's some cheesiness

• Thumbs Up 1

Again don't get too bothered by TV spots they're not aimed at people that are highly engaged with the film already.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Again don't get too bothered by TV spots they're not aimed at people that are highly engaged with the film already.

Are we entitled to get bothered if we've seen plenty of trailers/TV spots featuring jokes we like better, whether or not we were presently engaged with the film?

On 1/19/2020 at 4:19 AM, Scritch the Cat said:

I wouldn't say I'm concluding the archetypes themselves are unappealing, though they are indeed generic.

You know, having a character that's always hyperactive and loud could work...if it's a character we don't see that often, as it can be entertaining in short, self contained bursts. But as a main character, that's just sensory overload...

42 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Are we entitled to get bothered if we've seen plenty of trailers/TV spots featuring jokes we like better, whether or not we were presently engaged with the film?

You can be bothered by whatever bothers you I just think we need to remember that as a fansite we are consuming  far more of this than the ordinary person. A bad joke thats overplayed to us might only be seen a few times by a TV viewer.

• Fist Bump 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

21 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Jack in the Box just revealed this. It’s look like it’s going to be Tiny Tacos.

Also, Sonic movie ads are starting to appear on London buses.:

Oh come on, we could have gotten Tiny Chili Dogs, but they went with TACOS for some reason. Lame.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 2

Japanese dub cast for the movie revealed. Here is the list.:

A video.:

Here is a picture of the Japanese Sonic voice actor recording his lines for the movie.:

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

What if the film ends with the worlds merging, as a “we’re sorry” for Two Worlds? 

Considering the movie team didn't come up with that concept, why would they be sorry for it? Yohoo~

Also I don't see Sonic Team ever merging the multiple worlds together as 1 single planet unless they do a hard reboot which I also don't see happening... nor do they feel sorry for the idea I can almost promise. I know I don't hate the idea myself.

• Thumbs Up 1