Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

It's a shame that this movie is most likely going to flop because if it does flop, we won't get a sequel that features Tails or other characters and then Sega will pretend this movie never existed and never mentions it again! 

26 minutes ago, The Famous Sonic said:

It's a shame that this movie is most likely going to flop because if it does flop, we won't get a sequel that features Tails or other characters and then Sega will pretend this movie never existed and never mentions it again! 

I'd ask what would be the point of Tails since the movie's obviously planning to have Tom be Sonic's confidant/best friend but then again, Sonic X, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Forces all had other characters serve that role instead so nvm.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, The Famous Sonic said:

God I wish that was the case...but unlike other famous movie franchises that are now starting to flop (Ghostbusters 2016, the Solo Star Wars movie, Terminator Dark Fate), this doesn't have enough ill will associated with it...yet.

• My Emmerdoods 1

He is saying 40m is a flop… for 3 days, it isn't, it's almost the same as Pikachu which was the record I think for videogame movies.

Besides, 45 millions would be half of its budget already, in 3 (short) days, it's not bad at all. Also they mean not only for 3 days, but domestic box office only.

3 minutes ago, Almar said:

I'd ask what would be the point of Tails since the movie's obviously planning to have Tom be Sonic's confidant/best friend but then again, Sonic X, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Forces all had other characters serve that role instead so nvm.

Yeah, Sonic can have multiple friends, it's not a love relationship, Tails is obviously planned because of how central his character is in the games, anyway they are obviously setting up a triangle for Tom-Sonic-Tails.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Me pointing out that wasn't supposed to be a good thing. It was meant to hint at how Sonic Team has no idea how to handle the cast.

A Tails who isn't Sonic's best friend/little brother stand-in is what, a poor man's post-Luigi's Mansion Luigi (aka a coward or otherwise more obviously flawed foil who may be the butt of jokes)? A good version of Doctor Eggman?

I don't think it will flop. 3 weeks of being the only proper kid's flick and early projections seem to be pointing to this being a break even movie, or a slight success. 

Not like there's anything else to take kid's attentions these next three weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, StarWarsSonic said:

So this is predicted to only open at around $40 million in the US? There’s only one word that comes to mind... FLOP. 
Paramount are gonna lose out big time on this! Especially as the budget is around $90 million.

Once the opening weekend passes and all the negative reviews come out, nobody will want to see it.

This film will be a complete flop in Japan because he has never been popular there anyway.

I don’t see it making £50 million in the UK/rest of Europe to even break even. I work at a Vue cinema here in the UK and guess how many tickets have been pre-booked for opening night on 14th Feb... 2 tickets!

Sorry but in this day and age, $40 million opening for a movie is a failure.

A $40 million opening should leg out to around $100 million domestic and thats with a low 2.5x multiplier putting it in the ok range depending how it fares internationally. I expect we'll see adjustments to tracking as pre-sales go on. Please do keep us up to date on pre-sales in your little corner of the world.

14 minutes ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

He is saying 40m is a flop… for 3 days, it isn't, it's almost the same as Pikachu which was the record I think for videogame movies.

Not quite, Sonic is on a 4 day forecast because the monday is a holiday,

• Thumbs Up 1

To think we are living in a timeline where a Terminator movie with Arnold freaking Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton flopped hard and a lame, bog standard action-comedy with Sonic slapped on top of it can make money...

That music video has some interesting tidbits. Fighting the guy in the bar and stopping him with a wall mounted bear head, also has Robotnik using his drones and ship with lasers/missles as we've seen but ends with him using the Sonic 1 wrecking ball. Could this be a last minute desperation tactic from a nearby crane after Sonic destroys his lasers? I'd love that.

• Promotion 1

4 hours ago, The Famous Sonic said:

That people expect this to flop is understandable, but the shame is in how this movie flopping likely won’t send the powers that be the message that you should actually include more of what’s in the game to make a game movie good.  Yes; you shouldn’t cram everything into a huge mess of a movie, but when writers strip so much of the source material out that they have to add new material to compensate (for example, the movie’s reconception of why Sonic and Robotnik are fighting) that is a sure sign they’ve stripped too much.

I don’t expect this to make SEGA give up on all Sonic projects, of course, but even they won’t necessarily get the message that the lore and supporting cast are what make many people love this series.  That sucks, as it is something they need to learn ten years ago.

2 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

(for example, the movie’s reconception of why Sonic and Robotnik are fighting)

Admittedly if you're following the Japanese lore this is open to debate. The Japanese manual for the original even states in it that South Island is just another in a long list of conflicts between the two. Sonic has always won, regardless and South Island was simply the first time Eggman shoved animals in robots. As a result unless Naka and Oshima were to detail how the two actually first met it's actually a mystery beyond Sonic always finds himself putting a stop to Eggman's trouble making ways.

1 hour ago, Stasis said:

That music video has some interesting tidbits. Fighting the guy in the bar and stopping him with a wall mounted bear head, also has Robotnik using his drones and ship with lasers/missles as we've seen but ends with him using the Sonic 1 wrecking ball. Could this be a last minute desperation tactic from a nearby crane after Sonic destroys his lasers? I'd love that.

Heck, it might even be proof of my theory that as he loses his insanity as the movie goes on, he starts being less practical and generic and starts using more outlandish and impractical means of solving his problems instead. Also, the music itself might not be ideal, but the video also contained plenty of Genesis-era stylized stuff, which I found really neat.

5 hours ago, Almar said:

Tom dies at the end of the movie, prompting Sonic to try and find Tails.

Tickets are on sale now. You can go ahead and buy your tickets now if you are interested.:

The mural is finished.:

Spoiler

EPBsjndU0AIOtcF?format=jpg&name=900x900

Found some pictures of a Sonic Movie themed arcade cabinet. These were taken in a event called Superfest Chile in Chile. Also, I found some more picture of the popcorn bucket.:

Spoiler

EPD0U6-WAAkjnBa?format=jpg&name=small

EPDyu72W4AE-5Bn?format=jpg&name=small

EPDbDtvWoAA-gg4?format=jpg&name=small

• Thumbs Up 3

So.... Something rather unexpected happened to me when I was in London this week!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 hour ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

So.... Something rather unexpected happened to me when I was in London this week!

*video*

Cool that you got to see it, but I sure hope there's going to be more than just one bus promoting this movie.

Ok so... that bus I mentioned on the previous page.

This one.

I said it wasn't possible to track in real time... well... IT IS!

https://lvf.io/

Enter the registration plate... LTZ1764 

The site will now tell you where the bus is!

I've tried it and whilst I can verify it. It does seem to work!

It even shows that the bus is registered as being the "Sonic" Bus!

• Thumbs Up 1