Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Footage of a interview with some of the cast.:

Spoiler

BTW, found these.:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Some small footage of Sonic dancing at a bar and some pictures of Taishi Nakagawa who is the Japanese Sonic voice actor and a Youtuber named DDotty who is the Korean Sonic voice actor.:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 1

So, according to an recent interview, Jim doesn't really mind reprising his role as Dr. Robotnik.:

Also, Jim thinks farts are funny.:

One girl asked the cast about how they got to improvise.:

In this one, Jim had a heartwarming response.:

Just found these now.:
Spoiler

EPHGrGqVAAAVRRG?format=jpg&name=small

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, according to an recent interview, Jim doesn't really mind reprising his role as Dr. Robotnik.:

Also, Jim thinks farts are funny.:

One girl asked the cast about how they got to improvise.:

In this one, Jim had a heartwarming response.:

Just found these now.:
  Hide contents

EPHGrGqVAAAVRRG?format=jpg&name=small

This was all so wonderful to see! Seems to me like the cast had a blast working on this movie, so that's a good thing. Jeff Fowler really seems like the right guy for this now. Not every director has the guts to admit their mistakes in reaction to fan backlash and actually make the decision to go back and fix them. Plus Jim Carrey's willing to reprise his role, for a potential sequel which would be AWESOME if it happens!

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I just say that “so-and-so is evil because he wasn’t loved enough as a child” is becoming a rather obnoxious cliche?  It isn’t interesting, it isn’t automatically sympathetic, it isn’t a cautionary tale of how to avoid evil; it’s too absurdly vague to serve as any of those.  River City Girls mocked that right on the nose, and it may not have even been the first thing to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Can I just say that “so-and-so is evil because he wasn’t loved enough as a child” is becoming a rather obnoxious cliche?  It isn’t interesting, it isn’t automatically sympathetic, it isn’t a cautionary tale of how to avoid evil; it’s too absurdly vague to serve as any of those.

I always kind of wished they had gone more in depth with what SA2 had set up. I think the angle of him looking up to his scientist grandfather but losing his way was interesting.

Spoiler

Plus even Eggman being shocked about who his grandfather had become in his final days after Maria was murdered. Eggman may want to rule the world, but the destruction he does is more a side effect of his actions than wanting to destroy the earth itself. No earth to rule if earth doesn't exist after all. Seeing that Gerald originally used his science for good just made the contrast with him and Eggman more sad. I think it's a bit more realistic, I doubt most start off wanting to do things like that but over time the situation changes until it's too late.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, DryLagoon said:

I always kind of wished they had gone more in depth with what SA2 had set up. I think the angle of him looking up to his scientist grandfather but losing his way was interesting.

Hide contents

Plus even Eggman being shocked about who his grandfather had become in his final days after Maria was murdered. Eggman may want to rule the world, but the destruction he does is more a side effect of his actions than wanting to destroy the earth itself. No earth to rule if earth doesn't exist after all. Seeing that Gerald originally used his science for good just made the contrast with him and Eggman more sad. I think it's a bit more realistic, I doubt most start off wanting to do things like that but over time the situation changes until it's too late.

I mean

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I mean

I have to admit I wasn't thinking of that when I wrote the post. I probably should have said "in many of the games (but not all) he's not trying to".

Eggman never intended to destroy the world in unleahsed. Thanks to the manuscripts he knew nuking it from orbit like that would jumpstart dark Gaia and he would be unchecked to take advantage of the situation. He did something similar in Sonic advance 3 as well. 

Eggy rarely sets out purely to destroy in the games. The only example that comes to mind is the nuke he shot at station square and that was an eggman who was off his rocker a bit by that point in the story. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim says Robotnik is all about his ego, and simply fun to play. The director is also a very sweet  and polite guy, I respect him.

I'm sure Carrey can do a decent Eggman. Problem is that Sonic doesn't really have the traits that make him his good foil in this movie.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:11 PM, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Our 1st official clip! I gotta say, Sonic's reactions here was golden! XD.

Yeah, that still thumbnail image showing Sonic's teeth and lips makes it less than appealing. Obviously still an improvement over last design but still, live action doesn't suit well with Sonic at all IMO.

But man, am I the only one didn't laugh at any jokes here? It feels very cookie cutter Hollywood Alvin and the Chipmunks/Smurfs level of quality with Sonic references sprinkled in. Probably the only funny thing is how James Marsden looks and feels tired and doesn't want to be there, wishing he was playing Cyclops for another X-Men movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've also noticed that Sonic is wearing different shoes in that clip whereas in the trailers he was wearing his trademark shoes. 

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Jim Carrey would make a excellent replacement voice actor for Eggman.

As if Sega would be willing to shell out for a hollywood celebrity in their games lol

8 hours ago, AdventChild said:

Yeah, that still thumbnail image showing Sonic's teeth and lips makes it less than appealing. Obviously still an improvement over last design but still, live action doesn't suit well with Sonic at all IMO.

But man, am I the only one didn't laugh at any jokes here? It feels very cookie cutter Hollywood Alvin and the Chipmunks/Smurfs level of quality with Sonic references sprinkled in. Probably the only funny thing is how James Marsden looks and feels tired and doesn't want to be there, wishing he was playing Cyclops for another X-Men movie.

I didn't laugh at that scene either.  I smiled a bit, and it's nice to see Sonic has emotional depth and is capable of being annoyed by others as well as annoying others, but it's not like Ben Schwartz's acting talent was the dubious thing to people about this movie.  I will agree with the tweet that his delivery is great, but a good actor can only do so much with a bad script.

To be fair, pure comedy doesn't look like what they're shooting for there; it's a scene where something has happened that puts a strain on their relationship, while also showing that something is at stake demanding that they make it work, anyway.  But the bits portrayed as pure comedy are also just okay at best.

It's look like the reactions have been positive so far. So, that's good news.:

Pictures from the premiere. Haruki Satomi who is the Chief Executive Officer of SEGA attend it. His wife Mikiko Satomi also attend the event. So much fun there!:

Spoiler

view-of-atmosphere-at-sonic-the-hedgehog-family-day-event-at-the-on-picture-id1201914267?s=2048x2048

view-of-atmosphere-at-sonic-the-hedgehog-family-day-event-at-the-on-picture-id1201914139?s=2048x2048

More pictures can be viewed here.:

Event pictures

Some more new footage.:

Found some more stuff.:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, Sonic Warrior said:

Embargo lifts on February 12th, 2 days before the movie's release

Embargo lifts after the film releases in a few countries and a few hours before release in the next batch of countries.

5 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

It's look like the reactions have been positive so far. So, that's good news.:

Huh. You know what, this movie might do better with general audiences than I thought. While Ben Schwartz is obviously going to talk the movie up there are ways to see through Hollywood speak that usually says when something is going wrong.

I still think critics are going to dog the thing to death, because that's just their MO with family films that aren't Disney. Rottentomatoes score of 30%. Audience score between 60%-70%.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I've seen that minute of preview, and it's fine if not that.... there's a silly detail that bugs me.

Sonic is the guy who destroys robots and capsules in order to free the animals inside, he wants to save and protect them.

Then in the movie he has no problem letting a sea fish die on some random street. Maybe if he was going to cook and eat it, but dropping it on the street (alive) in total indifference seems a bit too far for Sonic.

I get it's a gag and all, but... it's not something Sonic would do IMO, at least not the Sonic from the games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fish don't matter. Sonic's got no problem palling around with Big, a guy whose hobby is tricking fish into biting sharp hooks and then ripping them out of the water.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Yeah, I think when it comes to fiction in general about protecting the environment, Fish and bugs remain the casualties of death humor. 

Edit: Except when it's A LOT of fish. Then it's bad. 

Edited by VisionaryofSUPER
  • Thumbs Up 2