Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I hope we get something this year. I expected something on Sonic's birthday, maybe even just a small logo of the movie or even a statement of: "Yes, this is still a thing."

Just need to wait a little longer.

If Sonic is going to be in a one hour-thirty minute movie, I really hope Roger Craig isn't voicing him. His Interpretation of Sonic's voice isn't terrible, but it really doesn't fit. If you disagree, it's okay. I just wish Sega would fork over the extra dough to pay Ryan Drummond's union fees. Just keep positive and keep the news coming and maybe this movie will come out to be really cool.

This movie is probably in development hell as no one from SoJ seems able to remember what the fuck is a Sonic.  

OK, probably the real reason has to do with the "higher ups" responsible for Sonic not expecting live action elements (if this is still that movie), and any number of things could be causing issues from the hollywood production side of things. For example, the live action elements might have been meant as some kind of cost saving measure, they weren't looking to foot the bill for a 100% CG movie, or whoever was in charge found a more suitable license 

Or maybe that second smurfs movie or some other PoS live action CG hybrid kids movie underperformed enough that producers aren't looking to fund this sort of movie any more.  Point is, development hell is easy to wind up in.  

• Thumbs Up 1

SDCC is July 9th to 12th.

If we're going to get any information, I would most expect it to be there.

I mean, there is the possibility they'd show something at another gaming event or even Sonic Boom assuming that's still happening, but I think SDCC is the most likely simply because it's a multimedia event and one of the largest pop culture shows in the world.

Oh yeah, Comic Con is a thing. Well, I got more hope we'll see something now!

They don't have a booth but I don't think that entirely rules them out since there's still room for press events as far as I know.

If there's any place to get a film noticed, it is SDCC, unless they're going to take a gamble and release information about the film at a gaming event.

...which would be monumentally stupid, since the whole idea of a movie is to appeal to a general audience. Doubly so if the franchise the film is based off of is a laughing stock among gamers.

They don't have a booth but I don't think that entirely rules them out since there's still room for press events as far as I know.

If there's any place to get a film noticed, it is SDCC, unless they're going to take a gamble and release information about the film at a gaming event.

...which would be monumentally stupid, since the whole idea of a movie is to appeal to a general audience. Doubly so if the franchise the film is based off of is a laughing stock among gamers.

Didn't the Ratchet & Clank film do that?

I know they released the teaser trailer out of the blue in Spring 2013 but they officially revealed it a year later at E3 2014.

On average, making a live-action CGI film isn't inherently all that cost-saving over just straight CGI. Live-action requires transporting people and heavy equipment in and out of locations, ordinances from the local government to shut areas down for controlled filming, feeding and housing people, paying extras, reshoots, costume work and make up, practical effects, and the act of editing in the CGI itself which in turn tends to be farmed out to multiple studios through cheap contracts. None of this overhead really exists with an animated film, which Illumination has proven on about four occasions you can do for a paltry few million nowadays since technology has become more robust and streamlined. In short, the most likely reason to have live-action elements is based entirely on artistic or presumed marketing reasons, not to save money.

• Thumbs Up 3

True, but by establishing it as taking place in the real world they can save on writing as any hack can turn out the same fish out of water/secret keeping hybrid.

ok, less facetious, it depends a bit on what sort of scene is in question, if it's just some set on a sound stage with a few people in street clothes pretending to talk to a CG character or two, that's pretty cheap. For effect shots, I imagine that at this point all these effect houses have CG models of the parts of New York that people know sitting around to use for relatively cheap as few new assets are being made, though this arrangement is but my own speculation. If not, eh, just have the fight take place in a warehouse district or something, or move onto an airship before the action starts.

That they were suggesting something as idiosyncratic as semi live action version makes me cynical, and there are a lot of ways to cynically save money with such an arrangement.

Didn't the Ratchet & Clank film do that?

I know they released the teaser trailer out of the blue in Spring 2013 but they officially revealed it a year later at E3 2014.

Correct.

But it's an unusual move as a whole. We need look no further than the Xbox One conference to know that gamers care about games, not movies, even when the movies are based on games.

Doubly so with Sonic. He is a laughing stock. At least Ratchet maintains credibility with gamers.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there anything new with Ratchet and Clank and Slycooper?  I cant find anything additional with those movies either.

The fact there's no news on Sly or Sonic worries me.

I can only conclude those 2016 dates (confirmed the former, speculative for the latter) aren't going to be met.

A date for this movie, is there even a script?  Do they even have a director?

Based on the leaked email from the Sony Hack, at the most there is a synopsis for the movie. 

As for the other questions, right now there is little to nothing. Certainly nothing to get excited over, in fact I don't think there was much of anything started when they publicly announced the movie.

The reason being is that the film has been absent, even absent as an 'unannounced project' from Vegas Licensing Expo and various other events, which if it were coming out next year, it almost certainly should have been present at. 

But there's been nothing. During Vegas Licensing Expo I read all the briefs which most of the main movie studios put out, including Sony Pictures, most of them had titles like "Star Trek 3" or brief titles which had not been finalised. Some studios event had "Unannounced Animated comedy" or some other "Unannounced Film staring *insert actor here*".

But for Sony/the studios who might be promoting Sonic, there is nothing.

I was watching Boom yesterday and during the commercials they aired a trailer for Goosebumps, which is being made by Original Film,  the same production team who are doing Sonic.

And it looks TERRIBLE.  Unfunny jokes and seriously dated special effects. I am VERY worried about the Sonic movie now.. 

Whoops this came out wrong. Sorry.

Edited by Myst

So SDCC came and went and we got absolutely nothing. =I Guess this means we have to wait until next year to hear more about the Sonic movie. If we're lucky we'll get some news near the end of this year but it makes more sense to announce something on Sonic's 25th Anniversary.

The fact there's no news on Sly or Sonic worries me.

I can only conclude those 2016 dates (confirmed the former, speculative for the latter) aren't going to be met.

Well In Sly Coopers case Im pretty sure the reason why they don't want to talk about that movie is because they want to focus all their attention on the Ratchet and Clank film but unfortunately that movie got delayed. As for the Sonic Movie who knows what's going on with that film, maybe they're talking their time to make it good and not turn it into some cheap hollywood live action cash in like most live action movies based off properties. Its wishful thinking

I was watching Boom yesterday and during the commercials they aired a trailer for Goosebumps, which is being made by Original Film,  the same production team who are doing Sonic.

Original Film isn't doing Sonic. The movie is by Sony and Marza. 

Urm yeah...

Can someone be so kind as to tell me where I've apparently said that which everybody is quoting since I'm honestly at a loss here.

I have a prediction:

This movie is actually in development Hell.

Call it pessimism, but the fact there's no teaser, no news, etc. makes me think this isn't going to release for a while when they confirmed it a year ago.