Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I'm looking at the reactions right now... From advanced screenings, they are ALL positive. I'm surprised and excited, it affects me with a positive energy.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

3 hours ago, NoKaine said:

Are people seriously asking why Sonic wouldn't know literally every aspect of Earth?

In real life, people can't find Italy on a map or name any the 50 states of the country they've spent 30+years of their lives in. I think you can bare with the fact that he doesn't know what a mechanical bull is, not like that's particularly popular.

Also yeah it'd make more sense that he'd know about insurance for fast things and the movie franchise about fast people in fast cars than some metal version of some animal.

Surely you’re exaggerating about the states.  At the very least people need to be able to name their own in order to write down their address.

Yeah, judging by all the impressions I'm seeing this movie going to be bigger than all of us thought. 

+Low first impressions leading to positive surprise

+First kids movie of the year

+No competition for three weekends

+No competition for advertising

+Jim Carrey

All that seems to be coming together in a weird way. 

1 hour ago, Sonic Warrior said:

Post credits scene has leaked online...I watched it, by the way. Great one.

The worst part is that the assholes already spoils in the thumbnail. Effin' YouTube. You guys and girls better watch out. 👀

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Impressions are coming in and they sound great!

Sonic's turkish?

How the hell can Sonic be turkish? Has Green Hill Zone been the Sonic version of Turkey this whole time?

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sonic's turkish?

How the hell can Sonic be turkish? Has Green Hill Zone been the Sonic version of Turkey this whole time?

I'm like 99% sure it's a joke. Either the guy who tweeted it or in the movie. 

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sonic's turkish?

Maybe Turkey is the name of Sonic's animal planet.

First video review from someone who saw the screening. (Non-spoilered.)

No, they are not a critic, but you know what, it's nice to get a more elaborate opinion than a few tweets. 

mildly upset that i'll have to be spoiler dodging for a while, but i have done it before.

the general reactions from most who attended this early screening seem very positive. that's good!

gotta hand it to 'em, they have really sold me on this movie. i went from dreading its release to getting genuinely excited for it. definitely gonna watch it when it comes out on netflix or home media.

the super smash bros. cinematic universe is all coming together...

Meanwhile we forgot about the redesign trailer… it reached 30 mln views, with almost 1 mln likes. Birds of Prey's climax was 22 mln views.

I'm absolutely surprised about the theme of the movie… loneliness, being afraid of being alone forever, it's just so personal to me, I haven't had friends for quite a lot of my life, and I struggle with connections, I don't know when to shut up, yeah… so this all makes the experience I'm about to have by watching it… special and personal.

Edit: Don't watch the video review by DreamcastGuy, it has serious spoilers, the most spoilerific ones in particular, so if you want to be surprised, don't. But still, it's a great review IMO, reflects what I hope for the movie.

4 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

Meanwhile we forgot about the redesign trailer… it reached 30 mln views, with almost 1 mln likes. Birds of Prey's climax was 22 mln views.

I'm absolutely surprised about the theme of the movie… loneliness, being afraid of being alone forever, it's just so personal to me, I haven't had friends for quite a lot of my life, and I struggle with connections, I don't know when to shut up, yeah… so this all makes the experience I'm about to have by watching it… special and personal.

Edit: Don't watch the video review by DreamcastGuy, it has serious spoilers, the most spoilerific ones in particular, so if you want to be surprised, don't. But still, it's a great review IMO, reflects what I hope for the movie.

He did warn viewers when the spoilers would start, though.

5 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

Worth noting that Brids of Prey is struggling domestically - despite getting a ton of positive reviews from critics and movie-goers. It whiffed well short of its projections and is the lowest DC movie opening in a decade.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Worth noting that Brids of Prey is struggling domestically - despite getting a ton of positive reviews from critics and movie-goers. It whiffed well short of its projections and is the lowest DC movie opening in a decade.

I hate that the mindset is if a movie doesn't make all of the money in the first three days it's a bomb so much.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

36 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I hate that the mindset is if a movie doesn't make all of the money in the first three days it's a bomb so much.

Superhero movies have a different, and quite frankly much higher standard to live up to. They continued to get bankrolled because they make all the bank. So when one falls, I dunno 30%-40% below projections... that's jarring.

Make no mistake, this is no "Jonnah Hex" level bomb. I'd be shocked if Birds of Prey didn't cover its costs with only its domestic take by the end of its run. Still when you put it up next to the Black Panthers of the world... uh, yeah you get the picture.

42 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Its almost like the box office happens every week and you can get a fairly goood estimate of lifetime earnings from those 3 days based on past data.

I mean. The first three days is usually a good estimate. BoP can bounce back, but it would require some herculean word of mouth that not every film gets. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't expect this film to do well with your rank-and-file moviegoers, but it deserves to be remembered that it's tied to something far bigger than itself.  The powers that be won't just be monitoring the movie's opening weekend profits; they'll be monitoring virtually everything Sonic-related to see if it surges in popularity and sales as a probable result of this movie--and for what it's worth, that's already happened quite a bit.  Not as noticeably as if there were AAA Sonic games released around the same time, but they're putting out plenty of merchandise for this film and can monitor that.  They also have SXSW shortly after this film premieres, to monitor response to it.  Time will tell whether it more recruits new Sonic fans or is buoyed mainly by old ones, but the general impression I get from early reactions is that you're going to like this movie much better if you like Sonic--and if that wasn't what they were shooting for with this, then where's their head at?

5 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Not as noticeably as if there were AAA Sonic games released around the same time,

Not that I disagree with that, but I think the elephant in the room here is that its been the games that have not pulled their fair share of the weight when it comes to these kinds of cross-platform synergy builds.

Giving the movie room to breathe - absent of a game - could also be a calculated move or lesson-learned back from the Boom launch.

• Thumbs Up 2