Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Isn't it funny though? To be able to mock the film, he'll have to buy a ticket, thus helping them in a way.

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Chuckle 1

You know...

...the creatures seen sitting on that tree behind Baby Sonic could actually be the echidna tribe warriors and not some stupid lizards after all. They're probably the "people" who were always after Sonic's powers, as he mentioned on another trailer. This is kind of interesting. I wonder why they wanted his speed. Perhaps they've been attacked by a greater evil and need his power to fight back? Perhaps Baby Sonic was just a pain in the ass and they simply wanted to get rid of him? Either way, I bet they're the ones responsible for killing Sonic's (... sigh...) mother owl. That's an interesting premise tho', if we're going with the possibility of the echidnas actually wanting Sonic's power to defeat a greater evil. Without it (since Sonic was sent to Earth), they got wipped out, leaving only one survivor that grew up alone is this world (while Sonic grew up on Earth): Knuckles. That premise could also be used to give Knuckles a reason to antagonize Sonic at first. This could actually work. Oh Christ, can't believe I'm getting excited for the Sonic Movie.

And BTW, I'm really digging that echidna design, holy shit. 

Whats funny is that originally, I was wondering if the Valentine's day release date might put the Sonic movie in a bad spot because of Birds of Prey releasing a week before it. I figured that since its one of them funny book movies, it'd be heavy competition.

Turns out things are tracking to be the total opposite. Birds of Prey, according to the internet, is bombing right now. They predicted it would open at around 50-55 million and it actually opened at 33 million. Its got the lowest opening for a DCEU film and I just found out that they just changed the films weird ass title to just "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey" in an obvious attempt at seeing if it will somehow sell better. 

I mean... people know its the Harley Quinn movie. They're aware of that. I'm not sure what this is fixing, especially if the Birds of Prey part of the title is whats putting people off. Apparently, its not even the actual Birds of Prey from the comics.

Also, apparently some fans of the Birds of Prey movie are feeling threatened by the Sonic movie on twitter so they're making weird tweets about how much better it is than Sonic.

Like, REALLY weird stuff where there's claims of hearing homophobic slurs being used all throughout the Sonic movie but it was okay because Birds of Prey was playing next door...?Someone else claimed to be a victim of a hate crime while watching the Sonic movie and that going to watch Birds of Prey instead "made me feel safe to go to the movies again"...

Why is the internet so weird? What is happening?

Edit: Seems like its becoming a bit of a fun meme on there. A lot of these are obvious jokes. "Don't see the Sonic movie for I was appaled when he jumped out of the screen and kicked me in the balls. Go see Birds of Prey instead."

What a weird meme but I can dig it I guess. Some of these are pretty funny.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Whats funny is that originally, I was wondering if the Valentine's day release date might put the Sonic movie in a bad spot because of Birds of Prey releasing a week before it. I figured that since its one of them funny book movies, it'd be heavy competition.

Turns out things are tracking to be the total opposite. Birds of Prey, according to the internet, is bombing right now. They predicted it would open at around 50-55 million and it actually opened at 33 million. Its got the lowest opening for a DCEU film and I just found out that they just changed the films weird ass title to just "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey" in an obvious attempt at seeing if it will somehow sell better. 

I mean... people know its the Harley Quinn movie. They're aware of that. I'm not sure what this is fixing, especially if the Birds of Prey part of the title is whats putting people off. Apparently, its not even the actual Birds of Prey from the comics.

Also, apparently some fans of the Birds of Prey movie are feeling threatened by the Sonic movie on twitter so they're making weird tweets about how much better it is than Sonic.

Like, REALLY weird stuff where there's claims of hearing homophobic slurs being used all throughout the Sonic movie but it was okay because Birds of Prey was playing next door...?Someone else claimed to be a victim of a hate crime while watching the Sonic movie and that going to watch Birds of Prey instead "made me feel safe to go to the movies again"...

Edit: Seems like its becoming a bit of a fun meme on there. A lot of these are obvious jokes. "Don't see the Sonic movie for I was appaled when he jumped out of the screen and kicked me in the balls. Go see Birds of Prey instead."

I will opine that it actually WAS a bad idea not to name the film after Harley Quinn.  Sure; it’s not easy to miss that she’s the star if you saw the promotions, but if not that title is, at best, going to make you think you’re seeing a different DC movie.  At worst, you won’t even know it as a DC movie.  It’s quite safe to say that Harley Quinn is much more we’ll-known than that team she normally isn’t even part of.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Twitter paints every fanbase as solely motivated by the supposed sociopolitical implications of seeing, not seeing, liking, or not liking a film. It’s ugly, headache-inducing, and pointless. God forbid you like Star Wars, Joker, Birds of Prey, and Sonic all at once. You’ll be accused of being every strawman across the spectrum. 

Can someone explain to me why there was a huge rivalry between fans of Captain Marvel and fans of Alita: Battle Angel?

13 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Can someone explain to me why there was a huge rivalry between fans of Captain Marvel and fans of Alita: Battle Angel?

It had to do with forces outside both films. Right wingers accused Captain Marvel of being “SJW trash” while Left wingers accused Alita of catering to the “toxic male gaze.” This sort of thing has only gotten more intense will continue to permeate the Twitter world. When a new film comes out, Twitter is not the place to discuss it. 

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I will opine that it actually WAS a bad idea not to name the film after Harley Quinn.  

I mean, its not like I disagree with that. The original title is terrible but do I think the turn out would have been that much better? Not really, no. 

"Birds of Prey and the Fabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn" is a title thats just going to be shortened to "Birds of Prey" and a general audience who somehow didn't see the trailers or any of the posters obviously won't know what that is but thats not going to change much.

The amount of people who didn't see any of the trailers and promotions for the movie, but also like DC, but also would be interested in a Harley Quinn film despite not knowing it was out, but also are old enough to see it because its rated R can't be that hefty of an untapped market.

Birds of Prey is an obscure niche thing that was to appeal to DC fans, Harley Quinn joined for recognition and is shining in the movie, so obviously they made it with her in the title. Good move but I think it's too late. In another timeline BoP as a title would have given them so much success. Weird timeline I guess? You know Sonic is gonna be popular when DC fans are trolling over it.

11 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I expect by this time next week we'll have his take on what he would have done "better".

No, he'll announce a new lawsuit stating that certain structures in the movies were used without his design and that he got copyright on them in 2012 and then he'll sue Sega, Paramount, and Archie for old times sakes.  But yeah, I expect we'll have his vaunted take as soon as he gets out of the theater.

• Thumbs Up 1

a video by paramount UK, showcasing an event that took place presumably a movie theater, where kids could talk to a virtual version of sonic voiced by ben schwartz, similar to events nintendo set up where you could talk to mario at the nintendo NY store during certain holidays.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 3

2 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

a video by paramount UK, showcasing an event that took place presumably a movie theater, where kids could talk to a virtual version of sonic voiced by ben schwartz, similar to events nintendo set up where you could talk to mario at the nintendo NY store during certain holidays.

My heart just melted again. I would literally weep tears of joy if I ever got to witness that in person. I still can hardly believe we live in a timeline where this is real.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

It is sweet. When was the last time you saw kids just so excited to talk to Sonic? They see him and it's just smiles all around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oy, that was actually wholesome instead of cringe?! O.o I already liked Ben's voice before, don't make me love it. Sometimes he sounds a lot like a mix between Ryan Drummond and Jaleel White.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

2 hours ago, Sonario said:

My heart just melted again. I would literally weep tears of joy if I ever got to witness that in person. I still can hardly believe we live in a timeline where this is real.

My post I just had to do it on.

image.png.c41a185776ac79e0c72ab135d5cf25b3.png

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The estimates went up again. Sonic is looking to track $60 Mil in it's first weekend.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24007-the-box-office-buzz-and-tracking-thread-electric-boogaloo/page/1848/#comments

That would knock off detective Pikachu for highest videogame opening wouldn't it? 

Wouldn't that be something 

48 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That would knock off detective Pikachu for highest videogame opening wouldn't it? 

No Pikachu was 54 million over 3 days that Sonic estimate is 60 million over 4 days because the monday is a holiday..

12 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

No Pikachu was 54 million over 3 days that Sonic estimate is 60 million over 4 days because the monday is a holiday..

Record is a record. Nobody will look at the asterisk

Lol

8 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Record is a record. Nobody will look at the asterisk

Lol

They actually do seperate charts for holiday weekend records.