Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So, Puma just released this. Only 5 of these were produced. Also, sorry, I realized they are still not planning to sell these.:

Also, I found some more stuff.:

>It's the most basic design you can imagine for a shoe

>Only makes 5 

>It's probably gonna cost a kidney

Almost 30 years and we're finally gonna get an official replica of Sonic's sneakers and they're limited? lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I just noticed that Sonic has huge ass neck in this ☝️ new quick trailer (when he's doing yoga apparently). It looks so bad.

Also, don't watch the trailer unless you wanna ruin a cool surprise.

34 minutes ago, Jango said:

>It's the most basic design you can imagine for a shoe

>Only makes 5 

>It's probably gonna cost a kidney

Almost 30 years and we're finally gonna get an official replica of Sonic's sneakers and they're limited? lol

I know, right?! I've wanted a pair of official-looking Sonic shoes since I was a little kid, and I'm sure there are lots of adults out there with disposable income who were the same. COME ON, SEGA. IT'S EASY MONEY.  YOU KNOW HOW WEAK WE ARE.

• Chuckle 1

The first review has leaked: https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review-sonic-the-hedgehog-doesnt-rock-even-after-a-new-paintjob/

For a film that gained notoriety well before its release for how wildly Sonic’s original animation diverged from his well-established look, Sonic the Hedgehog does show a clear understanding of the source material and its essential nature.

just read the whole review. The guy talks about Sonic endlessly monologuing about loneliness. Jim Carrey's Mugging the camera. The general jokes, as all the worst aspects of the movie.

The part he likes are Marsden's more mellow performance and the sympathy he has for Sonic.

So this tells me a lot of how critics will judge this movie going forward. It will be judged by critics tolerance for all the high energy and lack of subtlety. The jokes are the wild card.

The thing is, this actually makes me more hype about the movie, because nothing he's saying seems particularly bad about the plot from any logical or moral stand. Just seems to be based on pure tolerance levels. Tolerance is probably the most subjective thing when judging any piece of media. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic monologuing about loneliness a lot doesn't really look like a solid grasp of the character. When was he ever someone yelling for others to befriend him outside of something like Sonic Boom or a Sonic Shorts parody?

That Slant review overall feels disparaging to and ignorant of the property and gaming culture as a whole, but I must admit that I had been worried about this bit ever since that fluff scene, and am sad to be proven correct:

Having Sonic travel with Tom is an obvious pretense to give the former his first true friend, but the pairing comes at the expense of all narrative logic. Sonic can sprint from Montana all the way to the Pacific Ocean and back within seconds, yet he opts to tag along in a pickup truck doing 60mph for a mission where time is of the essence.

To add to that, if we've been given that

A: Sonic has been able to move at Mach speed since he was a baby, and presumably has good control and reaction time.

B: Sonic's home base has been Green Hills, Montana, for almost that long.

There is no reason to believe that Sonic can get lost that easily.  He would have to have a good sense of direction just to be what he is.  Also, I'm pretty sure something has to go much faster than sound to wind up in the Pacific ocean mere seconds after it starts heading west from Montana, but even if Sonic actually is that fast, there's no way he lacks fast enough reaction time to steer away in that process.  Even if he doesn't know the exact way to San Francisco, he'd still be able to avoid that sort of accident.

I get that this might be a "turn your brain off" movie, but this isn't so much an example of the writers not thinking enough about what Sonic is as it's an example of them thinking too much about making Sonic something else.  It's one thing not to think of every last physical implication of Sonic's speed when it's actually happening, because so long as we're enjoying the adventure of Sonic being fast we need not worry about what makes it impossible.  They can bend or even break rules when it's to allow Sonic to be Sonic.  However, if Sonic has be made unrealistically, unfathomably stupid just so we can have an excuse for him not to go fast and instead stick around to befriend a human, it's everyone's prerogative to remind them, loudly, that they're ripping Sonic away from being what he was intended to be and shoving him into a template-built family movie story.

54 minutes ago, Almar said:

Sonic monologuing about loneliness a lot doesn't really look like a solid grasp of the character. When was he ever someone yelling for others to befriend him outside of something like Sonic Boom or a Sonic Shorts parody?

Never, so far as I recall, because go-figure, the entire bit about Sonic having any reason whatsoever to be lonely stems from writers reinventing his powers as something others can steal, thus making him and those close to him a target.  It feels almost like they wrote it that way specifically so they could make a subplot about Sonic being lonely, thus justifying shoving in their original char--wait no; even then there's no excuse for Sonic's first friend not to be Tails.

• Thumbs Up 3

At least Chris Thorndike was a rich kid...

27 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

wait no; even then there's no excuse for Sonic's first friend not to be Tails.

Spoiler

Considering how a post-credits scene apparently shows Tails chasing after Sonic, Tails is at least acquainted with Sonic here. I suspect that was thrown much later in development to counter some backlash for the lack of traditional Sonic elements.

5 hours ago, Almar said:

The character doesn't even have the full grasp of his character yet. We've never seen his origins. We know that this whole hiding out thing is immediately after his childhood so he hasn't developed into anything resembling the modern Sonic. Even then, he's not going to be the Yuji Naka Sonic as we've never seen what he would have done for an origin story. He started him off as something that already has a defined character. Him and Robotnik's rivalry had already been set in stone. 

I mean, I can understand not liking that development, and I understand that. But I disagree that it's something that can't communicate as Sonic. It's not the specific vision, but it's close enough and seems valid provided we understand the context of why this developed as is. 

4 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

That Slant review overall feels disparaging to and ignorant of the property and gaming culture as a whole, but I must admit that I had been worried about this bit ever since that fluff scene, and am sad to be proven correct:

To add to that, if we've been given that

A: Sonic has been able to move at Mach speed since he was a baby, and presumably has good control and reaction time.

B: Sonic's home base has been Green Hills, Montana, for almost that long.

There is no reason to believe that Sonic can get lost that easily.  He would have to have a good sense of direction just to be what he is.  Also, I'm pretty sure something has to go much faster than sound to wind up in the Pacific ocean mere seconds after it starts heading west from Montana, but even if Sonic actually is that fast, there's no way he lacks fast enough reaction time to steer away in that process.  Even if he doesn't know the exact way to San Francisco, he'd still be able to avoid that sort of accident.

This doesn't break logic. He can travel at Mach speed, but we don't know if he has covered long distances becuase he's been trying to lie low. It seem like he's relied on his rings for that long distance travel so that he doesn't get discovered. It's entirely possible he doesn't know where exactly how many dots and roads to connect. 

Another review popped up, this time from Comic Book Resources.

Fortunately this one is also pretty negative, citing the film's apparently inconsistent tone and plot as key fundamental flaws with it. I really hope that this review, along with the Slant one, aren't an omen for what's to come for this thing review-wise. :wacko:

EDIT: Also apparently that Slant review got taken down? Guess they got in trouble for breaking the embargo lol

30% critic score. 70% audience score. 

If this movie has a positive future, it will not reach higher than Jim Carrey's best stuff. The mask only reached 77% on RT, and Dumb and Dumber 67%.

The Mask is only 77%? Fuck that, it's one of the best comedy movies of ALL time. Speaking of Carrey's best stuff, what's Eternal Sunshine rating? It's a good movie.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like a Justice League situation where they end up having to course correct mid production, and left the film fairly inconsistent as a result. Which makes sense, given the jokes in the first Gangster’s Paradise trailer absolutely sucked, and we only started getting decent ones in the second trailer with the redesign.

That said, I’m fairly skeptical, because from all promotional material and trailers, it seemed to me that Sonic and Eggman were the only decent aspects of a film that looks kind of boring. I’m more optimistic than I was last year, and before the redesign trailer, but Christ, everything I’ve seen with the original characters have been as boring as watching paint dry. The one joke focused on the human cast fully (the joke about having a child in a bag) was downright the worst joke out of them all showcased, so seeing the Sonic aspects really downplayed and admiring the human stuff is off to me.

Especially since all things considered, Carrey mugging to the camera kind of fits? I mean, it’s Eggman, egotistical madman who is very expressive. It’d be weird if he weren’t playing it up a bit.

Ha, you reminded me of something, Ryan, I wonder if Gangster's Paradise still plays when Sonic turns the radio on or they switched with Blitzkrieg Bop. 

36 minutes ago, Palette said:

Another review popped up, this time from Comic Book Resources.

Fortunately this one is also pretty negative, citing the film's apparently inconsistent tone and plot as key fundamental flaws with it. I really hope that this review, along with the Slant one, aren't an omen for what's to come for this thing review-wise. :wacko:

EDIT: Also apparently that Slant review got taken down? Guess they got in trouble for breaking the embargo lol

Again. It seems like he's focused on largely the tone and lack of ability to really form a connection with these characters. 

However his review also states he's getting into the cast and thinks that they are all putting in an earnest performance, and I think that's another important thing for getting the mainstream audience. That sort of thing can shine for less discerning people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some user reviews are up on IMDB.

https://imdb.com/title/tt3794354/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_

Speaking of IMDB, I found some more reviews thanks to it.

Casey’s movie mania: 3/5 https://www.caseymoviemania.com/2020/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-2020-review/

EPD film: 4/5 https://www.epd-film.de/filmkritiken/sonic-hedgehog

This one is a 4/10: https://www.film-rezensionen.de/2020/02/sonic-the-hedghog/

MadMass.it: 3.5/5 (equal to a 7/10) https://www.madmass.it/sonic-il-film-recensione/

Speilfim: 3.6/5 https://www.spielfilm.de/filme/3006887/sonic-the-hedgehog/kritik

This one is a 3/6 (yeah, it’s kinda weird): https://treffpunkt-kritik.de/?id=2064

Honestly, I don’t expect the worse nor the best out of this film. It’s looks like it’s your standard, safe family/ kids movie. Which for a video game movie, isn’t bad to say. 

Also don’t take rotten tomatoes very seriously if your still interested in this movie. All it is a collection of different critics with different tastes. If you want to see the movie, go see it and form your own opinion. 

Just saying this now because I have a bad feeling about this. 😬

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, CottonCandy said:

Honestly, I don’t expect the worse nor the best out of this film. It’s looks like it’s your standard, safe family/ kids movie. Which for a video game movie, isn’t bad to say. 

Also don’t take rotten tomatoes very seriously if your still interested in this movie. All it is a collection of different critics with different tastes. If you want to see the movie, go see it and form your own opinion. 

Just saying this now because I have a bad feeling about this. 😬

Same here. Critics generally tend to really dig on anything that isn't deep drama, oscar bait, a superhero movie or something from the Mouse House. Just look at Godzilla. I say we should wait and see how the GA reacts instead, and more importantly how the box office run does. I hope with all my heart it's a success that proves that listening to fans can be a good thing.