Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

here’s a good review with a spoiler section at the end. Apparently Robotnik is actually a capable and formidable villain in this. 

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Sonic doing the floss dance.:

Hide contents

I knew something like was going to be in the movie and I'm still kind of pissed off at it. 

I know I shouldn't be so affected by that, but the Boomer in me is enraged

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Reveal hidden contents

This.

Shit like this is exactly what I was concerned about with this movie, but knew would get in anyway. That forced generic writing that poorly tries to appeal to certain demographics.

Ugh this movie's writing.

• Thumbs Up 4

Look, we can get our britches in a bunch as much as we want, but this is well within Sonic's demographic to be contemporary to whatever is cool at the time. 

So really, this isn't really any different from when he was 90's incarnate back in the day, so...let's just ignore it and see it for what it is. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

After someone thought a lot of us wanted to see the Powerpuff Girls twerking, I am not bothered by this.

But even if my eyes had been spared that Lolita-lite gag, I don’t see what’s so bothersome about this.  It’s not an embarrassingly sexual dance, let alone on a child, it’s not a dance overexposed to the irritating levels of the Macarena or Gangnam Style, it doesn’t have an obnoxiously lame song promoting it like “Crank Dat”, and it’s not the sort of thing that’ll actually date the movie.  Sonic doing a specific dance won’t be relevant forever, but past the fad it’ll just be Sonic dancing; nothing wrong with that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kids interacting with Sonic is flippin' precious. Reminds me of my Sonic-loving self when I was their age.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic in his heyday in the 90s was very much a mass market series meant to appeal to all ages. Not sure what the complaining is about...

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Hide contents

This dance is very popular in recent media apparently...

This is like the 3rd time I've seen it in anything...just this year.

IGN’s review is out - score is 7/10. Strengths are Sonic and Eggman, and the references to the games, while it got marked hard for tired visual cliches, and a simplistic and underwhelming story.

Rotten Tomatoes current score is 61%!!
19 fresh reviews and 12 rotten reviews

Damn.. 61% is a crap score. Then again, most of us expected this film to be trash anyway.

3 minutes ago, StarWarsSonic said:

Damn.. 61% is a crap score. Then again, most of us expected this film to be trash anyway.

These days if cricits give a movie a bad score, the audience is gonna eat it up, and vice versa. Rarely do the critics and audience agree anymore.

1 hour ago, StarWarsSonic said:

Look at Last Jedi's reviews then the audience reaction. Really can't judge by reviews anymore.

3 hours ago, StarWarsSonic said:

UM... no.

For a video game adaptation which usually flops with critics, that is really good.... I believe thats  the second highest for a game adaption, only behind Detective Pikachu.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reviews and audience reactions being different isn't anything new by a long shot. I honestly don't think it necessarily means anything regarding quality either, especially when it comes to huge fandom movies?

8 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I knew something like was going to be in the movie and I'm still kind of pissed off at it. 

I know I shouldn't be so affected by that, but the Boomer in me is enraged

8 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

This.

Shit like this is exactly what I was concerned about with this movie, but knew would get in anyway. That forced generic writing that poorly tries to appeal to certain demographics.

Ugh this movie's writing.

you guys know when sonic games came out with guitars and break dancing and rap music in the late 90 that was pandering to what was cool then too right 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

you guys know when sonic games came out with guitars and break dancing and rap music in the late 90 that was pandering to what was cool then too right 

I did say this after that first post, so its not like I'm lacking in self awareness of the situation.

• Thumbs Up 1