Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Pictures from yesterday night's special screening and a GMA interview video with James Marsden.:

Spoiler

So, one of the SEGA employees posted this picture of Ben and some of the SEGA staff. They are all seem to be very happy and proud.:

Found some stuff.:

EQrMxREX0AcaMGG?format=jpg&name=medium

50 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

image.png.919476f974b857fb2685e3f9f6b22583.png

How unfortunate, I really wanted this movie to flop critically.

What benefit would there be for it to flop critically (nevermind a 64% Tomatometer isn't that great to begin with [it just means slightly more than half of critics thinks it's worth a damn], but this is a video game movie)? Heavens forbid it's still good enough that critics enjoyed watching it, even if they don't think it's that good critically.

Just got back from the theater.......Alright alright that was actually pretty entertaining and surprisingly heartfelt. There I said it. I still would have preferred a CG animated film by Marza but to be fair this is the most soulful Sonic-related thing(Sonic Mania aside) we've had in years. I hope it does well enough, I'm interested in the teased sequel at the end.

Sonic is literally going through depression caused by solitude at the end, I did not expect that to be the theme of this movie of all things

I really wonder how this movie is going to affect the franchise's future.

If they had stuck with the horrible original design, I think it's highly likely word of mouth would have brought the film down tremendously. I doubt it would have affected game sales, but I'm wondering if the positive reception the film is getting will have a significant impact on kids who will become interested in checking out the games.

I think Sega is going to be looking at game sales for the next year or so very, very closely.

17 hours ago, Tarnish said:

These days if cricits give a movie a bad score, the audience is gonna eat it up, and vice versa. Rarely do the critics and audience agree anymore.

Let's see.

Judging by both the positive critical and audience reception so far, that claim didn't take long to get turned on its head.

Saw it, made me laugh, enjoyed it. Would pay to see a sequel.

Plenty of nitpicks I could get into - but I'll probably let that rattle around for a bit before I go too far off the deep end. I go into PG movies expecting very little, but this movie was entertaining.

I’m going after work tomorrow.  Tonight would have been an option, but I prefer to go to these children’s movies on weekends because I actually like to have as many children as possible in the theater.  I don’t get a lot of insight into what children these days like, so that’s interesting to see.

10 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Hide contents

Apparently there’s a living tribe of Echidnas after Sonic’s power instead of the Emeralds.

I haven’t seen the whole movie, but that was just a glimpse of what I managed to see.

Spoiler

That's uh...

That's gonna be interesting, when they eventually get around to trying to incorporate Knuckles into the lore. Granted, if we were to assume the Knuckles Tribe got wiped out during Sonic's decade away from Earth, it would place Sonic and Knuckles around the same age.

I do have to say though, it's a change that does show they did some research into the Sonic lore. Sonic Adventure's entire plot was the Knuckles tribe abusing the Chaos Emeralds' power, and enduring Chaos' wrath as a result, so having them try to take Sonic's speed for their own goals makes sense, especially since it would give Sonic a reason to naturally distrust Knuckles later.

A few thoughts about the movie, starting with non-spoilerific things:

- Eh, s'ok

- Sonic and Eggman are great. Everyone else is boring as hell.

- Sonic gives everyone names before he knows them, like Donut Lord. He never once gets Robotnik's name, so Sonic calls him Eggman.

- The Green Hill Zone melody is in there, once. It's cute.

- We see glimpses of Sonic's feet and it feels uncomfortable do they even kNOW WHAT THEY'VE DONE

- Not a lot was there for action scenes, but it's alright.

- Predictable, boring and safe story. I guess to make a video game adaptation, you just don't.

- Sonic doesn't feel like Sonic.

Spoiler

- oh look the echidna clan. would've been cooler if they were in the movie more

- oh look tails. would've been cooler if he was in the movie more

- WHAT. THE. FUCK WAS SONIC'S THOR-LOOKING ELECTRIC POWERS?! WHAT?!

Loved it! There's no denying it's a brand new Sonic lore--which could certainly be jarring for some people--but considering I've been a fan through no less than seven different incarnations of the character, this one is just another one to add to the pile.

If I had to use one adjective to describe the film, it would be charming. Sonic is snarky and full of attitude. Tom, his wife, and the other side characters are sassy and have some great one-liners (and most importantly, don't take up too much screen time or "hog" Sonic's spotlight, unlike a certain rich boy from another version of Sonic), and Jim Carrey...oh boy, where to begin with Jim Carrey? As expected, the man absolutely steals every scene he's in with his zany antics. At the same time, he displays an underlying menace that makes him a definite credible threat. I certainly wouldn't want to get on his bad side. He's not the "Eggman" we've known and loved from the games, for sure, but he still has that "Eggman" feel, y'know? A great blend of zany and menacing. Loved him. EVERY character in this movie made me laugh at least once, often more.

Yeah, the plot was pretty basic and by the books, but when it comes down to it, a basic plot can work if it has charming, well-rounded characters, and I feel this movie pulled it off admirably.

All right, now to go into Sonic geek mode:

Spoiler

-Maybe I'm just not very observant, but I didn't really pick up on many game references. The occasional sound effect like the twinkle from the start of Sonic 2, the obvious "Green Hills" and "Hill Top" bits, and "gotta go fast", but not much else apart from the opening and ending credits. I guess Garry Chalk (who played Grounder in AoStH and Robotnik in Sonic Underground) being one of the military guys could be one, but I doubt that was intentional. Anyone more observant than me pick up more?

-Sonic's origin was...weird. Sonic was friends with some weird realistic-looking owl woman? The echidna tribe was after Sonic's power? When Sonic gets emotional, his quills generate an electrical charge with unlimited energy? Those were some weird creative decisions. I mean, they work, but they're weird.

-Speaking of the mysterious echidna tribe, clearly they're setting up some stuff for a potential sequel. Knuckles being either part or the descendant of a tribe intent on stealing Sonic's weird power would make for a really cool, fresh dynamic between the characters.

-Sonic's personality takes some getting used to. We don't typically see Sonic mopey or lacking in confidence, and we certainly don't see him feeling lonely. Granted, this version of Sonic is supposed to be BEFORE the games take place, so this is pretty unexplored territory for the character. He still has the same snark and sass I've always loved about him.

-I loved the explanation for Robotnik shifting into his "Eggman" design. He's stranded on another world, lost what few marbles he had left, shaved his head, and let his mustache grow out. If we get a sequel, it's going to be really fun to see what direction they take the character.

-And of course, we have Tails' surprise appearance--and hey, he's voiced by Colleen, like the games! Surprised they didn't go with a celebrity voice, but I adore Colleen's Tails voice, so I'm okay with it.

All in all, the film had it's flaws, but it was also super fun, even for almost 30-year Sonic fans like me. I really hope a sequel gets greenlit, because there is SO much potential for this to be an enjoyable big screen alternate take on Sonic and crew. Thumbs up.

Saw it, here’s some thoughts:

- Sonic is a lot more naïve and full of bewilderment at the world around him than we’ve seen him in any game. A huge contrast to the jaded, seen-it-all Sonic of recent games.

- As much as the movie’s universe deviates from the games’, it surprised me how much the creative team seemed to know about it. There weren’t many references to them (at least that I caught), but a couple of them are very specific.   

- The San Francisco chase sequence you probably saw in the trailer does not have any references to City Escape. Kind of hard to believe but yeah they missed an obvious opportunity. 

- I’m not really sure what I think of this deal with how Sonic’s super-speed has been interpreted. It’s not just that he can run super fast, it’s like he flicks an internal switch and his entire biology runs at hyper speed. Time around him comes to a near-standstill.

- Many of the gags just didn’t work for me at all.

There’s a part where Robotnik tries to intimidate the cop by saying he could kill him, or worse. The cop has this Jim-from-The-Office moment where he raises his eyebrow and goes, “Worse than death?” as if it’s commonly accepted there’s nothing worse than death. The phrase “a fate worse than death” is pretty common. Not sure what the writers were thinking with that joke.

None of the jokes are truly groan-worthy, though. 

- Sonic kinda just starts calling Robotnik “Eggman.” I get that it’s because his drones look like flying eggs, but I feel like Sonic should’ve called them eggs first.

- Eggman is easily the best aspect of the movie. Not all his jokes land, but the whole package is so much fun to watch. By the end of the film, he’s actually pretty intimidating. 

- One thing that really bugged me was the product placement. Zillow, Olive Garden (twice), Amazon, and a couple movie franchises are directly referenced in the dialogue. The Zillow one is particularly terrible, as it’s not even attached to a gag.

4 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Let's see.

Judging by both the positive critical and audience reception so far, that claim didn't take long to get turned on its head.

Having a 30% difference between the two tells me critics were a lot less impressed with it overal than the audience, but okay.

And Rotten Tomatoes is not exactly the most trustworthy site to begin with, so I wouldn't take that as the definite thing to judge a movie by.

2 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Sonic is a lot more naïve and full of bewilderment at the world around him than we’ve seen him in any game. A huge contrast to the jaded, seen-it-all Sonic of recent games.

This is a weird thing to single out for comparing him to "game Sonic"...

Sonic's usually not too taken aback by some strange places...where as movie Sonic is Isekai.

5 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Hide contents

Apparently there’s a living tribe of Echidnas after Sonic’s power instead of the Emeralds.

I haven’t seen the whole movie, but that was just a glimpse of what I managed to see.

I took a very different read on this.

Spoiler

Remember the tapestry in Hidden Palace Zone? The one that some say was misinterpreted by the echidna?

I think they see Sonic as a threat to be eliminated.

5 hours ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

- Sonic gives everyone names before he knows them, like Donut Lord. He never once gets Robotnik's name, so Sonic calls him Eggman

I did not pick up on this. That's great!

4 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:
Spoiler

-Sonic's origin was...weird. Sonic was friends with some weird realistic-looking owl woman?

This was an astonishingly deep cut. Check out the book "Stay Sonic."