Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Urm yeah...

Can someone be so kind as to tell me where I've apparently said that which everybody is quoting since I'm honestly at a loss here.

I think that was what Myst was trying to post, but accidentally put the text in a quote from you instead.

Whoops this came out wrong. Sorry.

I have a prediction:

This movie is actually in development Hell.

Call it pessimism, but the fact there's no teaser, no news, etc. makes me think this isn't going to release for a while when they confirmed it a year ago.

My thoughts exactly. A year has gone by and we haven't heard anything about the movie; no cast, no plot hell not even a director! If not this year, then next year we'll get something. Maybe. I don't know.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if even if the screenplay is finished in this point in time, if the movie isn't made for another several years.

I say made, not released. I get the feeling they haven't even started production yet and probably not for a good while.

Why is there no news?

Because of the reasons...

Here is what we know:

The movie has been in at least talking stages since mid-late 2013, given the domain names and the fact they match up with Sony Pictures involvement and the leaked emails from the Sony hack.

At Sonic Boom 2013, during the fans Q&A, Iizuka dropped a MAJOR hint that a Sonic movie was in development. 

So we know that in 2013 it was definitely very active in terms of talks.

Now Yuji Naka around the time that the movie was eventually announced posted pics on his facebook of him visiting the studio who are apparently making the movie (animated segments). He never said it was for Sonic, but this seemed too much of a coincidence. 

Then in June 2014, the movie is announced and we get this information... and this is THE EXACT information.

Producer: Neal Moritz

writers: Evan Susser and Van Robichaux.

Production Company: Columbia Pictures (owned by Sony) & Marza Animation Planet.

Marza CEO Masanao Maeda & Andrea Giannetti are overseeing the project, but how hands on they are god only knows.

AND THAT'S IT!

Now here is the problem. People are saying 'well they'll show off the movie at *insert event here*' or "There will be a trailer at... *insert event here*"

Here is my problem with this. 

The following information has either not been disclosed or the film doesn't yet have it. 

• A confirmed cast (whilst we assume the Sonic cast are providing the voices... how about them human actors?)
  • A confirmed director <---- This strikes me as the biggest problem by far.
  • A tentative release date. (no date has EVER been mentioned, the 25th anniversary is a fan assumption).
  • A synopsis.
  • Concept artwork/set photos.
  • A single interview or press release since the initial announcement.
  • A logo for the film/poster/title card.

This is very basic stuff which tends to get released when a film has started development. But there is nothing. This is it, this is all we have, it has been a year since the announcement and all we have is the information from the press release.

Now Van has posted the odd thing on Twitter and this form, which confirms that the movie is not in the Boom universe, as well as photos of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 with the caption 'research' how literal that is in terms of 'research as I write' 'research before I write' or 'just for a laugh' nobody knows.

Unless this is being kept as a hyper secret project. I think this film was announced so early that there wasn't much of any development started, all they had was an agreement and maybe a basic internal synopsis, because it makes absolutely no sense that we've not had any new info, especially basic information which usually gets put out for press/media assets.

If it doesn't get shown at TGS 2015 along with an information blowout, then odds are we won't see the movie in cinemas until 2017 at this rate.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 4

Original Film isn't doing Sonic. The movie is by Sony and Marza. 

Original Film was mentioned in the original article here.

Sony-based Moritz (22 Jump Street) is producing through his Original Film banner alongside Marza’s Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Toby Ascher is executive producing.

Unless I missed something it sounds like Original Film is involved as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it doesn't get shown at TGS 2015 along with an information blowout, then odds are we won't see the movie in cinemas until 2017 at this rate.

That or maybe, like Ogilvie suggested, the project has either tossed development hell. It happens quite a lot-movies (especially adaptations) get announced in a press statement, but nothing ultimately comes out of them after that. TVTropes has a list as long as ten arms of movies that were announced years ago but had nothing come out of them afterwards (or in some cases, finally did get closure...as officially cancelled either by the execs or by the participating parties going bankrupt/defunct). With that said, there are exceptions of movies that fall into this state but eventually get rescued and see completion.

Then again, I'm likely just speaking this as I really, really, don't want to see this movie, under its current direction, to enter the production phase.

Edited by Gabe

That or maybe, like Ogilvie suggested, the project has either tossed development hell. It happens quite a lot-movies (especially adaptations) get announced in a press statement, but nothing ultimately comes out of them after that. TVTropes has a list as long as ten arms of movies that were announced years ago but had nothing come out of them afterwards (or in some cases, finally did get closure...as officially cancelled either by the execs or by the participating parties going bankrupt/defunct). With that said, there are exceptions of movies that fall into this state but eventually get rescued and see completion.

Then again, I'm likely just speaking this as I really, really, don't want to see this movie, under its current direction, to enter the production phase.

Why? Because you think it's going to stink for being a Live Action/CGI hybrid? You can't judge a movie by what it is. There's nothing to judge yet, anyway. 

Edited by Operationgamer17
Darn mobile site posted the post when I wasn't finished. Hissssssss!

Why? Because you think it's going to stink for being a Live Action/CGI hybrid? You can't judge a movie by what it is. There's nothing to judge yet, anyway. 

You have a point, but there's no helping having a pretty big grain of salt with the premise. You said it yourself. There's nothing to suggest that should this film continue on as a Live Action / CGI hybrid, it would break any norms. There's nothing to properly judge, and the only things we have to go on is prior knowledge and experience with similar hybrids. 

And that doesn't exactly inspire much confidence for some, including myself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes I can! We know it's a live-action/CG hybrid adaptation. We know it's a live-action videogame adaptation. We know it's being produced by Original Film. We know it's an IP adaptation by Sony Pictures. And I know all this because it's in the official press statement. If they didn't want us to judge anything about the movie, they wouldn't had released the statement in the first place.

And if the track record for all four aspects from a quality standpoint are of anything to go by (especially the first two aspects), I don't think being skeptical for this film's direction is being irrational by any stretch of the imagination. And that's just ignoring the fact of the general track record for this particular series in general handled by Sega and Western people. Did we just forget the Boom fiasco that was last year?

At the end of the day, I'm simply not going to be one of those people who will elect to specifically ignore what has happened in the past, for the sole sake of judging upcoming products with a clean new slate. I've been through the charade of "you can't judge X because of Y" several times (especially with the likes of Sonic) and I'm past the point of buying into it, especially since the endgame for doing so typically seems to just quell critical opinions purely in favor for optimistic ones.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, honestly...I really, really want this movie to be good, or at least passable, and I've generally been semi-optimistic from the beginning, but the part of me that's more honest and realistic doesn't really believe for a minute that it will be good. I would LOVE for this part of me to be wrong, but if I'm being honest to myself, that's what seems most likely. There are a million ways this could go wrong, and many of them seem very probable.

I mean, who even knows what a Sonic film should be? Even in the very early days of Sonic, long before it "went downhill", there wasn't exactly a consensus about how to make adaptions of it for TV or comics, to make a massive understatement. And just looking at the games themselves is no help, in a franchise which includes Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Colors and Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Lost World and so much more. It's impossible to know where to begin, since Sonic can be so many different things. Honestly, that's something I like about the series, but it also might be one of its greatest weaknesses.

I mean, it's just so hard to imagine what a "good Sonic movie" that's both likely to happen and likely to please large amounts of people would be, and so EASY to imagine a million different things a bad Sonic movie could be.

Plus, I just know that being optimistic about any Sonic thing these days is probably not a good idea. And, like others have mentioned, the fact that it's a live-action animated hybrid and a video game movie...not exactly promising, to say the least.

So yeah...it never being released might be a good thing. Which is sad. My optimistic side can't entirely die because it would just be so, SO great if one of my favorite properties, which hasn't been doing that well lately, got an awesome movie that everyone loved and that I loved. But I know that probably won't happen, and the movie never materializing would probably be less unpleasant than an awful movie materializing. Though the part of me that is just very curious about what they would even do, considering how many options there are, disagrees with that...

After watching PIXELS, Ive officially lost my confidence in Hollywood made video game movies.  Save whatever is left of Sonic's dignity from giving fans the middle finger like this atrocious piece of shit did. 

Edited by a knothole resident
  • Thumbs Up 2

After watching PIXELS, Ive officially lost my confidence in Hollywood made video game movies.  Save whatever is left of Sonic's dignity from giving fans the middle finger like this atrocious piece of shit did. 

Adam Sandler tends to have that kind of effect on people.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I have a little scope about the movie; Sony released new release dates of several movies up to 2017 and Sonic wasn’t there, if anything this could confirm the movie won’t come out next year, probably not even in 2017.

http://www.slashfilm.com/uncharted-movie-release-date/

Either that, or a release date isn't set yet. It could be until 2018 till it comes out. 

Either that, or a release date isn't set yet. It could be until 2018 till it comes out. 

It could be though there are several movies that we know even less about than the Sonic movie that have a release date already

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine the appearance of Boom has also caused issues for such a movie to be made, presumably studios would be reluctant to fund something that doesn't tie into the currently most visible part of the franchise, or so my theory goes. Also they're going to want merch and they don't want to have to compete with someone else's merch. 

But really, I'm going to go as far as to say that we're probably better off with this movie not being made, because the concept sounds terrible and there's no one to champion it for any kind of quality out of either company. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel its for the best that there is no live action hybrid of sonic. Those kind of movies usually look too awkward and aren't usually favorable. If it's full CGI maybe it's possible but a live action just reminds me of sonic 06.

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on what education exactly? 

Last we were told by anybody involved with the movie was it's fine. 

I'll just bud in and say something that I think tends to be forgotten when it comes to films. Remember, Van says he and Evan Susser are still writing the film's script, and movie scripts take a LONG time to write. At least two to three years, maybe even five to eight at most before considered to be in 'development hell' ( Though, at eight years, people would more than likely forget the movie was ever a thing.). At this point, OF COURSE there's nothing to show of the movie, because all there probably is... is just a script with maybe some concept art/sketches and/or a bit of modelling done by Marza. No animation yet, no live action shots yet, and maybe even no casting yet. Just one script with tons of re-writes, which is normal for any film.

It's also probably interesting to note that we JUST got the film announced last year. Movie companies usually announce that they're making a movie waaaay before they have much to show of it. For instance, they just announced that Brad Bird was writing for the Incredibles 2 only two or three months ago, and all they have is a poster to show, and we probably wont see the movie until 2018 or something. 

Edited by Miitoons
  • Thumbs Up 4

To be honest, I wouldn't mind this going into development Hell or being canned entirely.

"Live action" immediately made me cringe.

"Rocket Raccoon!" one might say. Sure. But Rocket's a realistic furry, and he's only a small portion of the cast. Sonic and co., who will take the bulk of screen time, are cartoon animals.

I'd much rather a pure CGI film. I'd go so far as to say I'd prefer SEGA go work with Pixar or something instead.

Edited by Ty the Tasmanian Ogilvie

I'd much rather a pure CGI film. I'd go so far as to say I'd prefer SEGA go work with Pixar or something instead.

I doubt that they need Pixar. They have Marza. Seriously: I don't know how movie development works in detail and if they have enough resources so I might be wrong but I think that SEGA could create a great CGI movie all by themselves or atleast for the most part.

It causes problems if too many different companies are involved because everyone wants something different...