Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Son-icka said:

@CaptainRobo Those scenes were in the movie. They simply retooled the Sonic Animations and Audio from different parts of the film and spliced them into the trailer in different areas. 

For example the Adult Sonic in Green hill animation was actually copy pasted from the desert area in the actual cut. Similarly the “I have no idea” bit after the explosion happens but matches Sonic to better capacity in the movie - for the trailer they just copied pasted the dance animation from when he got his sneakers into the scene. (I always thought it felt a little off in the trailer... now I know why).

Wow. Really. I probably didn't noticed that.

Spoiler

Was this shot in the movie?

12100028253037.jpg?w=1120&h=420&mode=crop&scale=both

Oh, BTW. I think I found the person who was voicing the owl. According to IMDB, Donna Jay Fulks is the owl voice actor.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1004344/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl22

Just saw the movie -- as a longtime Sega/Sonic fan, it was so surreal and exciting to see that Sega logo, and Sonic, on the big screen as a major film. 15 years ago I would never have thought it possible! It's not a great movie, but it's definitely watchable (thanks to Tyson Hesse, who should have been involved from day 1).

There are plenty of loving homages to the games in the score/background props if you look closely, although I was disappointed not to see any old Sega consoles lying about. And honestly, some of my favorite parts of the movie were the very first scene on Sonic's planet, and the credits/post-credits scene. The scenes with Robotnik and the other human characters felt like filler. But overall, it was an enjoyable movie, Sonic looked and acted like the Sonic I know and love, and there had better be a sequel after seeing that adorable post-credits scene. Although I can't help but wonder,

Spoiler

considering the awful first design for Sonic, what did Tails originally look like?

• Thumbs Up 1

An Easter egg I missed but someone mentioned on YouTube

Spoiler

When Eggman is trapped in Mushroom Hill at the end, the pose and walk he does before throwing the rock over the edge is the Death Egg Robot walk.

• Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Here are a few subtle Easter Eggs I don't think anyone's mentioned yet:

Spoiler

When Tom Wachowski is talking on the phone after the first "Sonic boom," a floral wall hanging shaped like a Green Hill Zone sunflower is visible in the background.

• Spoiler

The road sign Sonic uses as a ping-pong table is for "Hill Top Road" (this one was seen in the trailers)

The Green Hills, Montana sign reads "Population 1991."

5 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

Argh! I have to wait until tomorrow to see this movie.

Oh, shush.

I live in Poland. Our dubbing are terrible and no theater so far is making subtitles version.

So now I have to pick between watching inferior version in cinema or waiting for blue-ray few months from now.

image.png.0ca0bdfc41708cf71ba6aafd35b41383.png

So yeah, in light of a discussion on /vg/ I think I should tell everyone here to lower their expectations when it comes to sequels:

Spoiler

There's a distinct chance that sequels will keep focus on Earth with Sonic's world only showing up occasionally. It's cheaper to stick to live-action than do CGI. Tails even in the games doesn't have any ties that would bind him to Sonic World so he could just move to Earth. Knuckles shouldn't either if they scrap the guardian part for being a rogue Echidna trooper (or something like that). That covers all the "classic" characters.

Point is, expect the sequel/es to be what we got the first time but with Tails and Knuckles or even Shadow.

20 minutes ago, Almar said:

Hide contents

Point is, expect the sequel/es to be what we got the first time but with Tails and Knuckles or even Shadow.

I dunno too much about that.

Spoiler

If Tails is on the hunt for Sonic, then its only natural that he is doing so because Sonic is the one with the power to tip the scales in some tragic event or happenings in their home-world. While sequels could bring the conflict back to Earth, the will have to be forced to address what is going down in Sonic's world and they would be hard-pressed to introduce or deal with that threat initially without at least a short romp back in his original stomping grounds.

Also we need more LongClaw.... so there is that too.

13 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I dunno too much about that.

Hide contents

If Tails is on the hunt for Sonic, then its only natural that he is doing so because Sonic is the one with the power to tip the scales in some tragic event or happenings in their home-world. While sequels could bring the conflict back to Earth, the will have to be forced to address what is going down in Sonic's world and they would be hard-pressed to introduce or deal with that threat initially without at least a short romp back in his original stomping grounds.

Also we need more LongClaw.... so there is that too.

Spoiler

As I said, occasionally. Something like beating up whoever's in charge of the Echidnas would count.

As for Longclaw, her last appearance looked like a death scene. So she'd be dead.

34 minutes ago, Almar said:
  Hide contents

As for Longclaw, her last appearance looked like a death scene. So she'd be dead.

Spoiler

Debatable for a few reasons

-We don't see her die (which in movie-terms means they intentionally left that door cracked open)

- She was wearing a breastplate

-She mustered the strength to put on a helluva brave face for baby Sonic. Blow might not have been lethal

-Someone must have told Tails about Sonic. It would either be her.... or possibly Eggman. 50/50 shot there.

-(pure speculation here) If she is at he root of a future conflict between Sonic and Knuckles - then revealing that she was still alive would be an instant beef squasher and quickly set Knuckles character up into an unwilling ally. She's a valuable plot tool if the sequel plays out anything like the general rumblings think it will.

Also parental figures that duck mandates are rare in this franchise. I'd be surprised if she wasn't brought back in some capacity. She probably raised Tails lol

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing that’s remarkable is that this whole CGI-live action mashup actually works for Sonic a lot better than it did for most others that try it. I think that’s because Sonic has a history of mingling with humans in the games. On top of that, it kind of fulfills that childhood fantasy of “Sonic in real life” that you see realized at kid-friendly public events and YouTube cringe compilations. Sonic is kind of (in)famous for being mashed with “reality” as it is. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Oh, shush.

I live in Poland. Our dubbing are terrible and no theater so far is making subtitles version.

So now I have to pick between watching inferior version in cinema or waiting for blue-ray few months from now.

image.png.0ca0bdfc41708cf71ba6aafd35b41383.png

That would be hilarious to see the Grumpy Cat version of Sonic. lol  That sucks you have to choose between the versions, though.  😕  I'm griping because I paid for my tickets and I can't get my money back for the Thursday night preview.

Sonic's best "looking" game is the hyper realistic stylings of Sonic Unleashed. Its like they knew he would work in a live action setting.

Coincidence?!

ooooOOOOooooOOOOoooo

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kinda happy that the cinema room was pretty bare when I saw it. As fun as it is to live in the reactions of others, I kinda just want to watch the movie. Besides that, if a much larger room couldn't be full for Star Wars, what chance did this have?

4 hours ago, Almar said:

So yeah, in light of a discussion on /vg/ I think I should tell everyone here to lower their expectations when it comes to sequels:

Hide contents

There's a distinct chance that sequels will keep focus on Earth with Sonic's world only showing up occasionally. It's cheaper to stick to live-action than do CGI. Tails even in the games doesn't have any ties that would bind him to Sonic World so he could just move to Earth. Knuckles shouldn't either if they scrap the guardian part for being a rogue Echidna trooper (or something like that). That covers all the "classic" characters.

Adventure 1 & 2 is pretty based in humans anyways so it'd still be possible to include some elements from them and that gets me excited. Honestly the Classic era didn't have a ton of characters in the main titles anyways, it was usually just Sonic and Eggman + whoever they introduced. Even though we learned Knuckles was the last of his kind, we didn't see much of them until the Adventure 1 flashbacks as far as I know.

Sonic's best "looking" game is the hyper realistic stylings of Sonic Unleashed. Its like they knew he would work in a live action setting.

I was pretty much thinking of Unleashed when he warped all over.

4 hours ago, DarkRula said:

I'm kinda happy that the cinema room was pretty bare when I saw it. As fun as it is to live in the reactions of others, I kinda just want to watch the movie. Besides that, if a much larger room couldn't be full for Star Wars, what chance did this have?

Dont know how small your town is but mine is the third largest in my state and every time slot up to 10 was full. My theater was full and the theater was rolling through the jokes and cheering.  Some even clapped at the end. Stars 8 and 9 got neither of those

1 hour ago, DryLagoon said:

Adventure 1 & 2 is pretty based in humans anyways so it'd still be possible to include some elements from them and that gets me excited.

Tell me about it. They even retained

Spoiler

the echidna tribe being power-hungry, murderous

dicks from the Adventure series as well to boot.

Which could make 

Spoiler

Sonic and Knuckle's 

first encounter in a sequel, quite interesting. 

Does anyone know what

Spoiler

Tails said in the midcredit scene?
I know it's by his current in game voice actress from other fans saying so.

I couldn't hear it so I was wondering what it was.

So some concept art of the movie has surfaced Here

Spoiler

At the beginning of 2018, Blur's partner Jeff was going to start his first commercial feature film "Sonic the Hedgehog." The design cycle was relatively tight, so he asked me if I had time to help. I made some designs temporarily with @ 金 萧 镝 .

From the key frame of the bar fight, it can be seen that Jeff wanted to find Chris Evans in the first male.
The villain in the original film was an alien lizard, but the feature film didn't seem to show up.
The unexpected surprise was my favorite actor Kim Carrey, whose "Warm and Warm Light" and "Men on the Moon" are always in my classic film list.

65c3f9f2gy1gbx3gy8mlsj212p0u0npe.jpg

65c3f9f2gy1gbx3gxuo2ij223l0u0b29.jpg

Remember some leak that mentioned a lizard character who's after Sonic's powers? He didn't make the final cut, but we got images on what he looked like.

65c3f9f2gy1gbx3gyg1gtj21sa0u0u0x.jpg

The bar fight scene with the old design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys. You know how Sonic fans think they have a reputation for being the worst fanbase ever?

Well right now the Star Wars fandom is in throes because of the Sequel Trilogy. And some of them are referencing the Sonic movie as a positive film for an old franchise. Good job, SEGA. :)

• Chuckle 1

20 minutes ago, DryLagoon said:

Does anyone know what

Hide contents

Tails said in the midcredit scene?
I know it's by his current in game voice actress from other fans saying so.

I couldn't hear it so I was wondering what it was.

"If these readings are accurate he's here. I found him! I just hope I'm not to late."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Not even a kids choice award?

Maybe the "Rotten Tomatoes audience score is way, way higher than the critics score" award?

Even more nods:

* The reference to "Native American Shadow wolves", not only has a familiar word to most fans for good or for ill, it may also be an Archie reference (Lupe and company).

* Longclaw may take from scrapped concepts of Lyric, as a giant, talking, but otherwise non-anthropomorphic owl with a connection to Sonic.

* The locales chosen may be tips of the hat to specific Sonic games; France (Spagonia), China (Chun-Nan, maybe even Freedom Planet), and Egypt (Sandopolis and Pyramid Cave)

* The specific choice of animal Sonic saves  may be a nod to a specific OTHER franchise under Paramount's belt.

I went to see it last night. 

It's a fantastic movie. Loved every minute. It's just fun, as Sonic should be. Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

• Thumbs Up 2