Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I liked it. Sonic was well animated and hilarious, Robotnik was great, the story was fine, could be heartwarming at times, humans are a bit forgettable and the nods to the series as a whole were great. Overall, a decent film that I'm happy to have seen. My screening was full of kids who loved it, made me smile.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

I liked it. Sonic was well animated and hilarious, Robotnik was great, the story was fine, could be heartwarming at times, humans are a bit forgettable and the nods to the series as a whole were great. Overall, a decent film that I'm happy to have seen. My screening was full of kids who loved it, made me smile.

Two birthday parties of kids at my screening in the early afternoon. Gave me some hope that the franchise has a future.

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched the movie.

Spoiler

I don't really feel anything, there are a lot of things I didn't enjoy like Sonic's personality and all the humans. Nothing I specifically enjoyed, but no reason to be angry or upset at the movie. I didn't laugh a single time while watching except for the Olive Garden thing at the end, maybe because I'm too cynical about this movie in general.

One of the things that bothered me a lot was how Sonic was like this movie reference machine and how he never shuts up, but it explains why he was flossing. I don't think video game Sonic would get influenced so easily by movies, society, or trends like that, but that's just my opinion.

If I had to pick one thing I did like in the movie is that it's setting up a good rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles, cause Sonic actually has a reason to dislike Knuckles unlike the games where it's just a misunderstanding.

Something else is how Sonic's ability is treated as this super power that can be stolen, and apparently a single quill has infinite energy? Not a fan of the concept or the execution.

There's also a bunch of plot holes and whatever.

5/10

What I don't understand is the overwhelming positive reception from fans, like this movie has a 95% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes and I just don't get it, maybe when you compare it to other video game movies but as a standalone movie it's pretty underwhelming. I feel like this movie currently is pretty overrated, I've seen waaaay better movies than this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just got done watching the movie...

It’s okay but....man, people weren’t kidding it’s a pretty flawed movie. Hate to be negative here. 

The biggest problem with it is the writing.. it’s not good. Plus, the movie goes by way so fast that you don’t really have time to get connected with the characters. It felt like they cut out some scenes too. Original plot or not, the script just wasn’t great. 

However, the movie made me laugh. It’s a funny movie and it has cool action scenes. Jim Carey is.. well a bit annoying at times to be honest. The other characters are fine. Sonic is pretty likeable and cute. I just wish the script was better so I can actually care about them. 

That’s about it, it’s a fine movie for kids and fans. Is the the worse movie I’ve seen, no. But I was a bit disappointed. 

If they do make a sequel and this is a start of a cinematic franchise. Then they need to bring in better writers and more creativity. 

A 5/10 for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Watched the movie with my boyfriend and thought it was a decent film. It had some moments that I thought were pretty corny and Sonic came off as a "forever alone" guy in the beginning. The people in my theatre were pretty quiet while watching the film but there was still a few laughs here and there. Alot of older kids and adults were watching.

https://discordapp.com/channels/530563456068485171/61356363159804315

48 minutes ago, PandaChao said:

Watched the movie with my boyfriend and thought it was a decent film. It had some moments that I thought were pretty corny and Sonic came off as a "forever alone" guy in the beginning. The people in my theatre were pretty quiet while watching the film but there was still a few laughs here and there. Alot of older kids and adults were watching.

Yea i disliked the "i will always be alone" thing, doesn't fit his normal. 7/10 movie though

Edited by SonicSenpai13
typo

Is it just me or

Spoiler

It sounded like Carrey was channeling a bit of Pollock's voice in that ending scene.

I wonder if that was intentional or a coincidence.

Just now, MasterChaosZX said:

Is it just me or

Hide contents

It sounded like Carrey was channeling a bit of Pollock's voice in that ending scene.

I wonder if that was intentional or a coincidence.

I'm gonna say that such was intentional.

Spoiler

Given his turning into the E.G.G.M.A.N.

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I watched the movie.

Hide contents

I don't really feel anything, there are a lot of things I didn't enjoy like Sonic's personality and all the humans. Nothing I specifically enjoyed, but no reason to be angry or upset at the movie. I didn't laugh a single time while watching except for the Olive Garden thing at the end, maybe because I'm too cynical about this movie in general.

One of the things that bothered me a lot was how Sonic was like this movie reference machine and how he never shuts up, but it explains why he was flossing. I don't think video game Sonic would get influenced so easily by movies, society, or trends like that, but that's just my opinion.

If I had to pick one thing I did like in the movie is that it's setting up a good rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles, cause Sonic actually has a reason to dislike Knuckles unlike the games where it's just a misunderstanding.

Something else is how Sonic's ability is treated as this super power that can be stolen, and apparently a single quill has infinite energy? Not a fan of the concept or the execution.

There's also a bunch of plot holes and whatever.

5/10

What I don't understand is the overwhelming positive reception from fans, like this movie has a 95% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes and I just don't get it, maybe when you compare it to other video game movies but as a standalone movie it's pretty underwhelming. I feel like this movie currently is pretty overrated, I've seen waaaay better movies than this.

Because most people who are seeing this aren't jaded fans who've invested too much time into this series. 

Yes, people like Sonic

• Nice Smile 1

Some impressions:

Spoiler

+Movie Sonic was very cute and even a bit relatable.

+Some jokes were actually funny.

+There's many cool references to see and identify.

+Seeing the Echidna tribe was really cool.

+Tails.

-The movie tries to create a bit of tension between Tom and Sonic, but it isn't executed very well. Sonic says to Tom that the people of Green Hills need him, but there's no scenes that actually show this. 

-The action scenes were very short and simple. Sonic is a franchise with very exciting action scenes and I expected something flashier.

-I usually love Jim Carrey's movies, but I didn't like Robotnik's personality here. While he reminds me of PINGAS a.k.a. AoStH Robotnik (one of my favorite incarnations of the character), there's something about him that looks "forced".

I still need to watch the movie in English to give a final veredict, though. Sonic aside, the brazilian portuguese dub is nothing to write home about.

-The final conflict between Robotnik and Sonic is very predicable. The cliché of the power of friendship attacks again!

The movie isn't bad, but I didn't see anything actually amazing besides youknowwho.

Seeing kids, teenagers and adults reacting to the scenes and mimicking Sonic was really heartwarming, though. Like I said before, I'm very glad to see Sonic in a positive light again.

22 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Because most people who are seeing this aren't jaded fans who've invested too much time into this series. 

Yes, people like Sonic

Even most of the people who are die-hard Sonic fans like us still liked the movie, but just like Sonic said to the dog, I don't see the appeal.

7 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Even most of the people who are die-hard Sonic fans like us still liked the movie, but just like Sonic said to the dog, I don't see the appeal.

A lot of people expected worse and came out surprised at  something decent. If you're coming into the movie with a negative or apathetic mindset well...what did you expect to feel lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Kenny with his tea

I just had to comment on this...Sonic had a parental figure in his Uncle Chuck before Kenny came up with Jules or Bernie and on top of that, SatAM at least made you feel a connection to Uncle Chuck in that episode Sonic temporarily reunites with him then cries losing him again.  I don't recall any of Ken's parental figures giving me that feeling.

New popcorn bucket available only in Taiwan.:

Spoiler

EQ03rZrXkAA9zGk?format=jpg&name=large

Also, some stuff from Japan and Korea.:

Spoiler

I also found this from EVENT Cinemas Broadway Facebook page.

86180491_2566602470275725_5558301187037462528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=7RN54nowWSUAX-ZWwgb&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=adbafa308afc1649c107e27473f6d269&oe=5ECE9952

Just got back from seeing it again. Another packed room of adults older teens and kids. And yet another night of a theater full of people loving the film. Laughs at the big jokes, oohs at nods to game fans and series fans, laughs at the human moments such as the sister being tied. And a loud roar of wooos and yays at the mid scene tease. I plan to go see it again next week. Seriously have not enjoyed a film like this in a very long time. Noting that is going to win award after award but who cares about that. I went, i enjoyed, and left happy.

Just saw it tonight. Its still kinda surreal that a Sonic movie exists lol. Thought it was great overall! (Waaay better then what Disney's been doing with Star Wars as of late; this coming from a lifelong fan.)

Spoiler

The opening with the echidnas was interesting, and like someone said above, sets up an understandable rift for Sonic and Knuckles (whenever he shows up.)

Seeing Sonic actually have a personality again was nice; really got tired of the smarmy, cocksure take we've had for awhile. Jim Robotnik was more of an a-hole than I was expecting, but he felt like Eggman should by the end imo. Really hoping we get some sequels!

Spoiler

Was Carrey's most memorable quote "Look what came out of my egg sack." or is it just me?

Yuji Naka on the film success.:

Translation: "It seems the Movie Sonic met its release in countries other than Japan. I see many positive comments about it, so I'm looking forward to the release on March 27th in Japan. The fact that it's been released also tells me that my wish to be in the movie as an extra wasn't realized by the production, which is a pity. By the way I wonder what kind of Sonic merchandise are sold at cinemas overseas."

It's a shame that he was never asked to appear in the movie as a cameo. Maybe he might get his wish granted in the sequel? There were some people in the comments that wanted him to appear in the sequel as a cameo. That would be really nice. 

44 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

It's a shame that he was never asked to appear in the movie as a cameo. Maybe he might get his wish granted in the sequel? There were some people in the comments that wanted him to appear in the sequel as a cameo. That would be really nice. 

For the record, he was asked to appear as a cameo at some point. Getting the shot done just got got lost in the shuffle and it never happened. Could have been during the shift between Sony and Paramount or after all the hubbub with the redesign. Who knows.

13 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Not with a SpongeBob SquarePants movie on the horizon, no.

Kids Choice Awards typically is shown between March and April.

The next SpongeBob film doesn't come out until May.

So, yes, I think Sonic has a chance.

Anyway, I saw the movie friday night. Wore a Sonic t-shirt for the event (which another moviegoer was kind enough to compliment me on)

I turned into a little kid as the rings came onscreen, filling the Paramount logo.

I thought the intro in Green Hill Zone was way too short. Longclaw was only there for maybe, 20 seconds total? 

I dug the Queen music at the beginning. Really fun introduction to Sonic's life in Green Hills. Pretzel lady. LOL. Sonic is adorable.

Schwartz totally nailed it as Sonic. You could really feel the pain in his voice after 'winning' his fake baseball game. 'I really am all alone..'

Carrey was far more menacing to me than he was funny. Punching Stone in the throat for no reason? Yeesh! And then asking for Sonic's body to be put on ice after he thought he KILLED him at the end? Damn!

Marsden did a fine job as Tom. You could really feel the comradery between the two. He was meant to be the straight man of the film so he was never going to steal the show like Carrey, but he did a good job with the script he was given. 

The audience I was with seemed to enjoy the film. Plenty of laughs. Especially at the 'egg sack' line. Though there were a few loud groans when Sonic did the floss dance. 

From the Reddit AMAs I thought only the Robotnik name would be used. Happy to hear Sonic call him Eggman towards the end.

I got giddy at the final battle between Sonic & Robotnik, as short as it was.

The ending felt like it was getting into Chipmunks territory though.

Not the best movie ever made, but it was amazing to finally see Sonic on the big screen. I clapped as the film ended. Someone else behind me then clapped. Soon everyone in the theater followed suit resulting in loud applause.

The mid credits scene with Tails got a few cheers from the people behind me. 

Overall, a fun movie. Nothing spectacular, but fun. I can't wait for the BluRay!

2 hours ago, Austroid said:

Hide contents

Was Carrey's most memorable quote "Look what came out of my egg sack." or is it just me?

I'm personally partial to "Give me a big fat BREAK" and "NOBODY CARES".

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Austroid said:

Seeing Sonic actually have a personality again was nice;

I'm not really sure what this means...it's only because it's different right?

So watched it to be fully able to partake in the ensuing conversation but I honestly have nothing to say of worth.

The movie on a whole too me was just "nothing". It wasn't bad, it was technically sound, and what complaints I have are primarily necessary for the plot to function at all. Problem is it wasn't good in light of my biases either. Sonic is nothing like the Sonic that held me fast in the franchise for nearly thirty years even after the way characterization went downhill post Unleashed, and the movie on a whole feels too short for the story it is trying to tell. The movie simply is.

Not to be a total stick in the mud though, but there are moments in the movie that make me feel like there is more than enough potential to do something with these versions of the characters. As I'm a sucker for potential that's a pass I'll give the movie, but also a criticism. The movie on a whole felt nothing like it's own story and really little more than an establishing shot. Sequels have the potential to be something great if built upon that establishing shot, but the absence of adventuring and discovery will really have to be addressed to make something more of this.

That's about all I have to say though. As I was expecting the movie to be a bad watch though feeling nothing is technically an improvement. Except in the case of story telling making your audience feel nothing is perhaps the greatest failure. It's hard to say as I understand the movie purely from a logical storytelling perspective, but have no lingering attachment as a member of the audience. Honestly, Sonic is my favorite entertainment IP and for me to feel nothing from this movie is leaving me feeling like I've grown rather soulless. A bit dramatic perhaps, but I don't know how to address this feeling of nothing after watching.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I'm not really sure what this means...it's only because it's different right?

After all the modern era games from 2010-onward, its nice to see Sonic emote more than "I'm the one-note wisecracker who never takes things seriously!"

Saw the movie a second time, and something I missed the first time

Spoiler

When Sonic got TKO'd by the micro-bomb, he had zero rings. So he was knocked out and required medical attn as opposed every other time he was hit, he was able to get up and continue.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1