Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, Austroid said:

After all the modern era games from 2010-onward, its nice to see Sonic emote more than "I'm the one-note wisecracker who never takes things seriously!"

Oh, he emotes more than normal...he doesn't have more "personality".

I see.

The most important thing about the Sonic movie is how does Sonic Team immediately and definitively squander all of the good will that the movie is getting?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 4
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

2 hours ago, Austroid said:

After all the modern era games from 2010-onward, its nice to see Sonic emote more than "I'm the one-note wisecracker who never takes things seriously!"

I prefer to sum it up as someone I can enjoy seeing instead of someone I want to repeatedly punch in the face over and over again.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
7 hours ago, Austroid said:

Reveal hidden contents

Was Carrey's most memorable quote "Look what came out of my egg sack." or is it just me?

I'm personally partial to "Give me a big fat BREAK" and "NOBODY CARES".

I'd say the best one was:

"I wasn't expecting that. Then again, I was expecting not to expect something today. So it doesn't count".

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Ah yes, such majestic details.

With Sonic's personality, it's because he's written as an energetic, lonely kid who's just made a friend. That is inherently more interesting and relatable than the way Modern Sonic has been portrayed in the past ten years: wisecracking, punny nice guy. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Tornado said:

The most important thing about the Sonic movie is how does Sonic Team immediately and definitively squander all of the good will that the movie is getting?

Count on the Sonic fanbase to hate the fact that literally anything good is happening to the franchise. "The movie's good, but did you guys think about how we can bitch about the next Sonic game?"

Also not less than, what, four months ago, everyone here was, and some still are, convinced the movie was going to be an abject failure, but now it's suddenly better than the game Sonic Team hasn't made yet, which is preemptively going to ruin the good will, somehow. What, did the movie suddenly wipe games like Sonic '06 from people's minds? Because it hasn't. It's just that because the public doesn't fundamentally hate Sonic like this place seems to, they can enjoy a movie still.

EDIT: Same thing with the whole "Sonic has a personality now", no, it's kind of the same personality he's always had, it's just that he has a story that highlights that personality. Hell, Lost World also tried to develop his personality in a similar way.

Edited by NoKaine
  • Thumbs Up 7

21 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

...no, it's kind of the same personality he's always had, it's just that he has a story that highlights that personality.

It's not seeming like that...

Sonic's not the hyperactive type...not since, The Change.

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's not seeming like that...

Sonic's not the hyperactive type...not since, The Change.

What change? What specific game or event can you point out to where Sonic went from what I'm sure was a clearly defined personality to the hyperactive type? I remember that the very first scene of Adventure is Sonic going "AW YEA THIS IS HAPPENING" on a rooftop. To no one around. For no reason. He's just jumping on rooftops and going "Yeah, this is my reason for living!" I'd call that hyperactive. I remember the random woofs and boxing motions he did in Shadow. I remember how pretty much every cartoon adaptation (except Sonic X I guess) had Sonic be hyperactive and wise cracking.

I mean if you ask me, Sonic never had the most defined personality--in fact with all his friends he was always the one with the least character, for starters, we never had and still don't have a concrete backstory for him in the games, or even an actual character arc--and whatever "real" or "true" personality he has is whatever bias you have for the game it appeared in. Like I get it when people say this about Tails, that his personality has changed, because it has, but never with Sonic. He's always been inconsistent.

Sonic is fast, cool, and heroic, and those are incredibly vague traits that can be interpreted in many ways.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure what you think hyperactive is...

(Immediately contradicting statement next)

But I think you're confusing it with eccentric...

Neither of the things you've randomly referenced would fit that word.

You can use the DiC cartoons though, AOSTH and SatAM Sonic fit that word most assuredly.

Just now, StaticMania said:

I'm not sure what you think hyperactive is...

(Immediately contradicting statement next)

But I think you're confusing it with eccentric...

hy·per·ac·tive
/ˌhīpərˈaktiv/
adjective
adjective: hyperactive
  1. abnormally or extremely active.

Sonic seems to fit the bill pretty well. I mean, the movie Sonic is on the extreme end of hyperactive in that literally everything he does is extra, but Sonic has almost always been "abnormally or extremely active". Just because he slows down sometimes doesn't mean he's not hyperactive.

"Eccentric" is also incredibly vague and can damn well fit every single character. Tails the precocious super-genius, Knuckles the gullible knucklehead, Amy the love-sick freak, Eggman the... *gestures wildly*, and let's not get into most of the cast being giant talking animals... But really Sonic isn't really that eccentric anyway. Considering his design and powers being hyperactive is incredibly fitting, in fact, it'd be more weird if he wasn't.

8 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Just because he slows down sometimes doesn't mean he's not hyperactive.

Yeah he's pretty slow a lot of the time, since his major hobbies tend to be vacationing or relaxing.

And his impatience only leads to him lying down or stretching, not constantly moving about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah he's pretty slow a lot of the time, since his major hobbies tend to be vacationing or relaxing.

Liking to relax and being hyperactive are not mutually exclusive traits.

Also for the purposes of a series of games about running fast, Sonic not doing anything is not an interesting trait (it's kind of why Sonic in Sonic X lacks presence), so I understand why those hobbies are falling to the wayside.

But regardless, those hobbies aren't related to a lack of hyperactivity, I'd say they're connected to his "cool" persona. You have to understand that Sonic is "cool", but what "cool" means may vary. He can be the kind of cool that knows when to slow down and take it easy--that's why relaxing is one of his hobbies--but it can also be the kind of cool that doesn't take anything seriously and is always moving on--that's the kind of cool the new games are going for. The movie is going for the "ironic" cool, for the lack of a better term, where he's cool because he does too much.

That's why I say Sonic's traits are incredibly vague and up to interpretation. None of Sonic's personalities are wrong, per se, just different interpretations.

9 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Is he still full of Incorruptibly Purely Pure Pureness?

I don't think any game made Sonic out to be pure? Pretty much every good character has the exact same level of morality so Sonic's no more pure than Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and only slightly more pure than Shadow or Rouge.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Is he still full of Incorruptibly Purely Pure Pureness?

Hot take but everything I find wrong with Sonic's personality and writing can be summarized in Sonic Unleashed's later scene where Chip goes on about how Sonic is such a nice guy and that's why darkness doesn't affect him or some nonsense in that general area of flat character tropes.

Such a boring, boring character.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

8 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

That's why I say Sonic's traits are incredibly vague and up to interpretation. None of Sonic's personalities are wrong, per se, just different interpretations.

To me, you're saying Sonic doing anything is hyperactive...

You brought up 2 examples that don't fit that word and I'm like why.

Doing a little boxing motion means he's pumped up, something anyone who's ready to fight would do.

And using his speed at all to travel is hyperactive, because he jumped off rooptops one time and exclaimed during a brief stop.

He "can be" hyperactive (as can anyone), but that doesn't describe his character. It's not a defining trait and it's not something that's really displayed in the games. The closest moment wold be that Unleashed Short where him and Chip are fighting over that dumpling.

To me, you're saying Sonic doing anything is hyperactive...

You brought up 2 examples that don't fit that word and I'm like why.

Doing a little boxing motion means he's pumped up, anyone can do that at a moment when they really want to do something.

And using his speed at all to travel is hyperactive, because he jumped off rooptops one time and exclaimed during a brief stop.

He "can be" hyperactive (as can anyone), but that doesn't describe his character. It's not a defining trait and it's not something that's really displayed in the games. The closest moment wold be that Unleashed Short where him and Chip are fighting over that dumpling.

No, I'm saying Sonic does hyperactive things, which makes him hyperactive. Tails does smart things, which makes him smart. Knuckles does dumb things, which makes him dumb. That's the kind of characterization the series gets. It even applies to their names.

Shadow doesn't and wouldn't suddenly start boxing to show his excitement, because Shadow is not hyperactive. He would not suddenly shout for no reason "AW YEA THIS IS HAPPENING". He would never show he's excited, even if he is. He would cross his arms and look away. That's why we define him as moody, brooding, emo. Because he almost exclusively does things that we would call moody, brooding, emo. We know this because he consistently does these things. People just don't random do things like boxing the air. Even writing in Sonic games have a basic understanding that what characters do indicate who they are.

Personality is what people would and wouldn't do, and the reasons why. If you don't count what people do as part of their personality, how do you define personality? The things I mentioned that Sonic does aren't things people do randomly. It's what hyperactive people do.

You're right, in a game series with in-depth character writing that fleshes out their characterization, Sonic wouldn't be defined by his hyperactivity. But Sonic is not a game series with in-depth character writing that fleshes out their characterization, it's a game series that calls its dark, literally dark brooding character SHADOW. Mighty is mighty, because he's strong. Espio? Like espionage? And he's a ninja? It's always been like this. Sonic in particular has never had in-depth characterization, ever. He is fast, cool, and heroic, whatever the hell those mean.

24 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

I don't think any game made Sonic out to be pure? Pretty much every good character has the exact same level of morality so Sonic's no more pure than Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and only slightly more pure than Shadow or Rouge.

Whatever you say. I mean this absolutely is so untrue that it is borderline laughable, but seeing the argument I'm already seeing you in makes me not really care enough to defend a joke about how much of a generic Shonen lead Sonic tends to be to ask if he is the same way in this movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Whatever you say. I mean this absolutely is so untrue that it is borderline laughable, but seeing the argument I'm already seeing you in makes me not really care enough to defend a joke about how much of a generic Shonen character Sonic tends to be.

LMAO okay, tell me about the complex characterization of Knuckles the Echidna. Even when Knuckles does something morally questionable, like fight Sonic, it's because he believes that Sonic is evil and Eggman is good.

Tell me about the time Sonic snapped a guy's neck because he had no choice. Tell me about literally any morally ambiguous thing that Sonic has ever done. Just because it took you 30 years to notice that Sonic is a shonen game series doesn't mean anything changed. The second game had him turn yellow when he goes Super, but nah, Sonic totally isn't a shonen character...

All the good guys fight the bad guys. All the bad guys fight the good guys. All the anti-heroes kind of fight the good guys but also definitely fight the bad guys. Sonic is no more """pure""" than any other character, and I don't even know why it would be a bad thing if he was.

3 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Tell me about the time Sonic snapped a guy's neck because he had no choice. Tell me about literally any morally ambiguous thing that Sonic has ever done.

Wow, that's a great defense of how Sonic isn't an incorruptibly purely pure character archetype. You sure showed me.

• Chuckle 1

It makes sense from a marketing perspective for Sonic to have a rather bland personality. Look at Mario, or Mickey. They can fit any situation they need to for advertising and, in the video games' case, act as a stand-in for the player. Sonic has more personality than usual for this trope, but compared to everyone else in the series, he has one of the least defined for this reason.

Does that mean it's bad for when he does show personality? No, as that can make the character more likable if it's done right. This is why I hold little doubt that this movie will be better than that Mario movie in production, as the Mario cast are all one-note save for Luigi, and even then, his personality shines in his own series.

With that said, I like the movie, but it plays it too safe. I felt rather similarily for Detective Pikachu, and for both movies, it makes sense to be safe. Video game adaptations have traditionally been bad, and the companies making these movies didn't want to risk alienating the general audience by making it too close to the games--especially since it's rather likely that they never played one. 

If this movie does well--which, so far, it has--we'll likely see more unique and diverse storylines. I'm not going to quibble about how the movie isn't true to the games because it was purposely designed to be blander to reach a wider audience. At least it doesn't go offending the fans like other properties are right now.

• Thumbs Up 1