Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Two things I never like hearing in the same sentence: "Sonic" and "development hell". This trend rarely pays off and I'm starting to get quite concerned now.

I doubt that they need Pixar. They have Marza. Seriously: I don't know how movie development works in detail and if they have enough resources so I might be wrong but I think that SEGA could create a great CGI movie all by themselves or atleast for the most part.

It causes problems if too many different companies are involved because everyone wants something different...

They have Marza, that's true, but what I'm really after is a full CGI experience.

My guess is Marza would take a long time to make such, so it'd be better to find a larger company that could do the job in a shorter time.

I believe the movie will be on the game Sonic Adventure 2. Of course it is my own assumption !

After all, they said we will have a big surprise ! ;) 

Edited by Shira
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe the movie will be on the game Sonic Adventure 2. Of course it is my own assumption !

If they want to get any money, then the movie WILL be based on Sonic Adventure 2.

"so far so good, hey thats-"

"that blue hedgehog again of all places"

"I found you... FAKER"

"Faker? I think you're the fake hedgehog around here. You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! you're not even good enough to be my fa-"

"I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll just bud in and say something that I think tends to be forgotten when it comes to films. Remember, Van says he and Evan Susser are still writing the film's script, and movie scripts take a LONG time to write. At least two to three years, maybe even five to eight at most before considered to be in 'development hell' ( Though, at eight years, people would more than likely forget the movie was ever a thing.). At this point, OF COURSE there's nothing to show of the movie, because all there probably is... is just a script with maybe some concept art/sketches and/or a bit of modelling done by Marza. No animation yet, no live action shots yet, and maybe even no casting yet. Just one script with tons of re-writes, which is normal for any film.

It's also probably interesting to note that we JUST got the film announced last year. Movie companies usually announce that they're making a movie waaaay before they have much to show of it. For instance, they just announced that Brad Bird was writing for the Incredibles 2 only two or three months ago, and all they have is a poster to show, and we probably wont see the movie until 2018 or something. 

This. Unlike video games, which are usually announced when they can show it, movies are announced when they just start making it. There also has been no indication of that the movie is in development hell. Stop freaking out.

By the way, how the hell did this topic get to 55 pages when there's nothing to talk about?

This. Unlike video games, which are usually announced when they can show it, movies are announced when they just start making it. There also has been no indication of that the movie is in development hell. Stop freaking out.

By the way, how the hell did this topic get to 55 pages when there's nothing to talk about?

Most if it is just pure speculation 

• Thumbs Up 1

^Exactly, Deji; people talking about the idea of a Sonic movie and possibilities of what it could be rather than about information revealed about the movie itself. I mean, you know the internets, we want to speculate. 

It's fine to dream and all, but the game's diminishing reputation makes that unlikely, in my opinion.

There was also the films writer on here at one point dropping hints and refusing to answer some difficult questions who was apparently verified by forum staff which made some people go ape for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Van Robichaux Also said that we won't get any news until next year !

It's fine to dream and all, but the game's diminishing reputation makes that unlikely, in my opinion.

Yep, I love dreaming. Don't know if what you said is true, but when we see the current events on Sonic Runners, it shows that the adventure era is still not that easily forgotten (wow, bad english there, sorry!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Van Robichaux Also said that we won't get any news until next year !

Can I get a link to this? 

Van recently reaffirmed he's still working on the project on Twitter as well.

VWY8Awh.png

And even teased the Sonic cinematic universe on Facebook.

HOQVRre.png

He's the best anyone's gonna get on info for the time being, so until either of the production companies make a statement, let's just sit tight and wait. 

It's at least reassuring that the movie is still a thing.

Also, I would love a Sonic Cinematic Universe. (Silver The Movie pls.)

It's at least reassuring that the movie is still a thing.

Also, I would love a Sonic Cinematic Universe. (Silver The Movie pls.)

Hmm. what is Sonic Cinematic Universe??..

It's a pipe dream for sure and likely won't happen, but I'd actually love to see a Sonic Cinematic Universe if the movie(s) did well enough and it was done absolutely right.

If the Sonic movie were to at least receive a sequel, it would be cool to see a Knuckles-centric movie afterward, then maybe a Shadow movie that focuses on his past and his adventures with Team Dark, then a Silver movie which focuses on him trying to save his future. Even characters like Blaze or the Chaotix have potential for fun stories. And if they really wanted to go the MCU route, they could do a Heroes-style team-up film to top it off.

Really, I'm just itching to see these characters fleshed out more in general. If that's not going to happen in the games, then film could be another outlet. (If not that, then at least the comics are doing a pretty good job.)

Sounds like this movie is in good hands. A cinematic universe? I bet Chaotix would be in the style of "S.H.E.I.L.D" then, because that would be awesome. 

There would be no real point to a Sonic Cinematic Universe, if we're talking to the level of Marvel with its intertwining character-focused films that collide every few years into the crossover extravaganza that is Avengers. For one, Sonic characters don't need entire films to explain or introduce themselves due to their sheer simplicity, whereas Marvel characters have decades' worth of backstory to try and condense. The same goes for the lore which tends to be used as a framing device rather than elaborated upon and added to as new games are made due to how episodic they are. Also, Marvel-level continuity wherein each film is a basically different genre based upon the starring hero yet they all still tie into an overall larger arc and aesthetic is difficult to get right, considering they're the only ones who've been able to do it successfully thus far. 

Really, let's not get ahead of ourselves. All you really need are sequels, and that's assuming this movie will be worth even that.

• Thumbs Up 7

I agree with everything Nepenthe said. Can we just focus on making a good movie first before worrying about expanded material? I really don't like this copying of cinematic universes thing.

Uh...the "Sonic Cinematic Universe" was a joke, right? Either way, it sounds like a silly, unnecessary, and unfeasible idea to me, but maybe I'm just not wishful enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why does it? 

Well, he at least got a vision with it that's a step above the over-all old skool generic-ness that the franchise have gotten so far.

Let's just hope he keeps that promise, because this have become very intriguing.

Uh...the "Sonic Cinematic Universe" was a joke, right? Either way, it sounds like a silly, unnecessary, and unfeasible idea to me, but maybe I'm just not wishful enough.

It is a joke. 

Let's just hope he keeps that promise, because this have become very intriguing.

This isn't his decision to make. Nor does this line have anything to do with the quality of the film.

Who cares about vision when we're still waiting for him to list projects he's worked on. When live action/CG Hybrids have a shockingly bad track record. When Sony pictures is involved somehow and their movies lately have been really poor.

Give me something to lower those concerns then we can talk about vision for the future. 

• Thumbs Up 7