Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

20 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Didn't the Joker have a different voice in his only animated theatrical appearance (Lego Batman)? It feels like a bad compatison. 

Well technically Mask of the Phantasm had a small cinema run so Mark voiced him there. But Lego Batman was his biggest animated one, not to mention Joker has been voiced// played by so many now that it can't really compare.

I mean, Joker has been played by many actors, exactly like Sonic, but it's obvious if you ask many people that the one that'll usually jump out as the definitive version you always imagine is going to be Mark Hamill/BTAS Joker, or possibly Heath Ledger, if you're talking live action. Same for Batman, while live-action would be more divisive, the majority of people with a connection to the series will likely tell you Kevin Conroy/BTAS Batman. There's no particular reason to cut it down to only theatrical roles.

Even though MOTP only had a limited run, and The LEGO Batman Movie had a much wider release, it doesn't really change the fact that Kevin and Mark are considered the iconic pair for the duo. Even DC acknowledges this - not only are they the two that voices Batman and Joker in a massive amount of projects, but anytime that they make a iconic story as a movie, the duo they immediately go after to voice it will usually be Kevin and Mark. That was the case for The Killing Joke, which as known for awhile - was Mark Hamill's dream project in terms of voicing Joker, enough that it drew him out of retirement following Arkham City.

On top of that, if you took into account everything, Joker has had many different voice actors - John DiMaggio, Kevin Michael Richardson, Dee Bradley Baker, Troy Baker, etc. 

Limiting Joker down to his only theatrical appearances makes no sense whatsoever when the point of the conversation is replacing Sonic's game VA with his movie VA, meaning you're asking people to compare Ben to the game VAs in the past, and by extension - the TV Show VAs as well since both Jason and Roger voiced Sonic in X and Boom retrospectively, and a lot of people inherently match Jaleel White to Classic Sonic due to being the only voiced version of him for years until the OVA rolled around.

That's not to say I want Ben to replace Roger, personally. I like Ben as a voice actor, and his Sonic grew on me during the movie, but he plays a really different Sonic, and Ben acknowledged that in several interviews where he wanted to tackle it as Sonic was a kid who was filled with energy and curiosity. For better or worse, that isn't really Game Sonic in personality, especially since by all terms, Game Sonic is a lot more adventurous, and world-weary. 

On top of that, I think it'd be a bit remiss of you didn't also look at the fact it's possible that the writing/direction in the games is partly to blame as well. We have evidence of this, because Boom had a different voice director and different writers on board, and Roger as a result was a lot more open with voice delivery, being able to jump from sad, sarcastic, happy, excited, and more, which worked more because Sonic had a more dynamic character range in Boom, where he still remained a confident snarker, but also a straight man, only sane man, schemer, and more, depending on the situation. So really, having Ben play Sonic in the games would be an absolute crapshoot if it made any improvement or not.

I don't really think it should be a case of hiring "game and original voices", I still think you should just hire the best voice you can find (although I will go to bat and say professional voice actors are almost always a better choice for voicing a character than just getting a random celebrity, because they've got more experience with voice acting, and usually give a better performance as a result, which is why I liked Ben getting the role in the first place - he has a lot of VA experience), but I don't think it needs to strictly only be game actors or original actors. That seems really limiting to me, personally.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I mean, Joker has been played by many actors, exactly like Sonic, but it's obvious if you ask many people that the one that'll usually jump out as the definitive version you always imagine is going to be Mark Hamill/BTAS Joker, or possibly Heath Ledger, if you're talking live action. Same for Batman, while live-action would be more divisive, the majority of people with a connection to the series will likely tell you Kevin Conroy/BTAS Batman. There's no particular reason to cut it down to only theatrical roles.

Even though MOTP only had a limited run, and The LEGO Batman Movie had a much wider release, it doesn't really change the fact that Kevin and Mark are considered the iconic pair for the duo. Even DC acknowledges this - not only are they the two that voices Batman and Joker in a massive amount of projects, but anytime that they make a iconic story as a movie, the duo they immediately go after to voice it will usually be Kevin and Mark. That was the case for The Killing Joke, which as known for awhile - was Mark Hamill's dream project in terms of voicing Joker, enough that it drew him out of retirement following Arkham City.

On top of that, if you took into account everything, Joker has had many different voice actors - John DiMaggio, Kevin Michael Richardson, Dee Bradley Baker, Troy Baker, etc. 

Limiting Joker down to his only theatrical appearances makes no sense whatsoever when the point of the conversation is replacing Sonic's game VA with his movie VA, meaning you're asking people to compare Ben to the game VAs in the past, and by extension - the TV Show VAs as well since both Jason and Roger voiced Sonic in X and Boom retrospectively, and a lot of people inherently match Jaleel White to Classic Sonic due to being the only voiced version of him for years until the OVA rolled around.

That's not to say I want Ben to replace Roger, personally. I like Ben as a voice actor, and his Sonic grew on me during the movie, but he plays a really different Sonic, and Ben acknowledged that in several interviews where he wanted to tackle it as Sonic was a kid who was filled with energy and curiosity. For better or worse, that isn't really Game Sonic in personality, especially since by all terms, Game Sonic is a lot more adventurous, and world-weary. 

On top of that, I think it'd be a bit remiss of you didn't also look at the fact it's possible that the writing/direction in the games is partly to blame as well. We have evidence of this, because Boom had a different voice director and different writers on board, and Roger as a result was a lot more open with voice delivery, being able to jump from sad, sarcastic, happy, excited, and more, which worked more because Sonic had a more dynamic character range in Boom, where he still remained a confident snarker, but also a straight man, only sane man, schemer, and more, depending on the situation. So really, having Ben play Sonic in the games would be an absolute crapshoot if it made any improvement or not.

I don't really think it should be a case of hiring "game and original voices", I still think you should just hire the best voice you can find (although I will go to bat and say professional voice actors are almost always a better choice for voicing a character than just getting a random celebrity, because they've got more experience with voice acting, and usually give a better performance as a result, which is why I liked Ben getting the role in the first place - he has a lot of VA experience), but I don't think it needs to strictly only be game actors or original actors. That seems really limiting to me, personally.

Kevin and Mark are iconic, but only in nerd circles. I grew up with Deidrich Bader and Jeff Bennett, but I wasn't shocked that they weren't in LEGO batman either. They're no celebrities. (Well, Mark is, but that's beside the point). Nostalgia is cool and all, but it sadly doesn't get people movie roles. I love Josh Keaton as much as the next guy, be he wasn't big enough for Into the Spider-Verse. Same thing with Christopher Robin or Scoob. Unless it's a Theatrical TV movie like Powerpuff Girls or Spongebob, the original cast isn't staying. That's how it usually goes, and that's why the distinction between theatrical movies and video games should be made. It's why Roger wasn't in the movie to begin with, and why Colleen'll almost be definitely recast in the sequel.

It’s safe to say that in the popular imagination, Christian Bale’s growly voice has become the definitive Batman voice, if only because it’s so easy to meme.  Hamill may still be the definitive Joker, but that’s likely less due to his voice than to how much he sounds like he enjoys his work; a similarly passionate Joker with a different voice would likely go over fine.

I would say it isn’t necessarily a good thing for one actor to become so associated with one character.  For one thing, actors die.  This is less an issue with voice roles than with live ones, but even there it will eventually be a problem.  A good character is one that can outlast even the best individual performances as that character.  If you get obsheshed with Jamesh Bond shounding like thish, well, it shucksh to be you becaushe for one reashon or another, he might not alwaysh.  

A good new actor can bring a good new interpretation to what a character is on paper.  What’s Mario on paper?  Well, he’s Italian, and there isn’t much else to go on, but that’s still something.  And maybe Lou Albano sounds weird to generations of gamers who never knew anyone else as Mario but Charles Martinet, but as among the few other things that were once established parts of Mario’s character was that he was a blue collar laborer, I actually feel Albano got that part better.  To people who used to revel in the absurdity of an urban working-class Everyman going up against a world of whimsy, that sort of more deadpan approach to Mario felt good.

For modern gamers who think of Mario where he is now instead of where he came from, that part of his character isn’t really considered essential anymore.  It probably helps that a lot of those old blue-collar jobs have been outsourced and mechanized.  Someone dressed in overalls and a matching cap isn’t dressed like blue-collar worker anymore in the popular imagination; he’s dressed like Mario, and Mario is now a cartoon character in a world associated with him rather than a comically standard human in a cartoon world.  That transition felt especially thorough as of the Odyssey trailer juxtaposing him against realistic humans in a realistic city.  For that expectation of Mario as a cartoon character, Martinet’s operatic archetype works fine.  

Yet I still wonder if it’ll feel right for the nuanced dialogue needed in the movie, or they’ll cast someone else.  If so, what will that actor do with that role?  He might take from the past actors, but at this point even being Italian isn’t necessarily a part of Mario’s identity anymore.  Maybe he’ll  instead bring a more game-savvy approach that’s willing to wisecrack about video game conventions.  It sounds weird, but it could work.

Honestly, if the voice fits, I don’t see a problem. 

Voice Acting ain’t easy. And for a franchise of almost 30 years, there’s going to be a diverse range of actors to pick that can do the character. Sure they’ll be favorite, but so long as they get the character, that should be good enough.

5 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Yet I still wonder if it’ll feel right for the nuanced dialogue needed in the movie, or they’ll cast someone else.  If so, what will that actor do with that role?  He might take from the past actors, but at this point even being Italian isn’t necessarily a part of Mario’s identity anymore.  Maybe he’ll  instead bring a more game-savvy approach that’s willing to wisecrack about video game conventions.  It sounds weird, but it could work.

NGL, that sounds super cringe. Boom Sonic is one thing (and actually one of his better portrayals, cocky and snarky but not "Baldy McNosehair") but having the cheerful everyman Mario doing Meta wisecracks sounds jarring.

1 hour ago, Sonario said:

...but having the cheerful everyman Mario doing Meta wisecracks sounds jarring.

That's only because Mario takes everything serious compared to other characters...

I'd argue Jason Griffith is the most iconic voice for Sonic. At least for my generation that grew up in the early to late 2000s. Craig Smith is relatively unremarkable as Sonic and he really sounds like Sonic going through a mid-life crisis trying to sound like a teenager

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I don't think there's an issue with different voice actors when they are for blatantly new interpretations of characters.  Movie Sonic is not the same character as Game Sonic.  They're both Sonic, but they are not the same person... y'know?

It was actually weird for me when Sonic Boom went ahead and used the same voice actors for these fairly different designs, and as the cartoon progressed, fairly different personalities too.  And that's not to throw any shade at the VAs in question, in fact, it was Sonic Forces that made me feel out of sorts because over the last few years I had SO come to associate the current voice cast with Boom.  While I'm very glad that game Amy sounds like Boom Amy rather than going back to her Minnie Mouse-esque voice from Generations and Lost World, it was weird to hear that voice playing "regular Amy" rather than Monica from Friends Boom Amy (but even though the rest of the guys didn't change their voices for Boom, it's was still weird hearing them playing the not-neurotic versions of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles again).

Consistency makes sense when it's the same character.  Roger for Wreck-It Ralph?  Of course, that's the same Sonic that's in the games (albeit in a weird side-universe where said character is essentially an actor who plays themselves rather than JUST themselves).  But Roger for this new Sonic would've been off.  Actually Roger's gruffness could have completely made the endearing kid qualities of this Sonic fall apart and just have him come off as annoying.

• Thumbs Up 2

Still respect and feel sorry for the vfx artists that worked out the redesign and are now jobless; I don’t think the sonic movie is to blame (I feel sorry for those who had to do crunch though I heard conflicting reports) but I do hope they find new work again

plus agents stones actor tweeted a photo fo his nephew and saying the movie was his first movie in theatres

Am I the only one who'd prefer Metal over Shadow? I've seen a lot of Shadow posts but i think Metal has already been set up perfectly. I'm also partial to them mainly taking inspiration from the Genesis era but who knows. 

I do think we should at least get Tails, Amy and Knuckles in Sonic 2 as they are the OG core 3

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I'd argue Jason Griffith is the most iconic voice for Sonic. At least for my generation that grew up in the early to late 2000s. Craig Smith is relatively unremarkable as Sonic and he really sounds like Sonic going through a mid-life crisis trying to sound like a teenager

Ryan was better than Jason and I wish they would've kept him. Roger gives Sonic an interesting personality and I do enjoy it. It's just, I really do like consistency in voices and when they change too often then you wind up with voices that don't fit. 

Take Shadow for example. David was perfect, then they dropped him for Jason and he was just a deeper toned Sonic for the longest time. Now it's Kirk and while Kirk is trying it just doesn't hit the ear right. David was perfect, just as Ryan was. 

Consistency is best, it really is. 

Hey y'all.  Thought this might be of interest to you...KEN PENDERS is going to do an interview with Midnight's Edge about the Sonic movie and the past controversy with Archie.  This'll be all one sided methinks...

I liked it. It was absolutely better than "Human spends 90 minutes in a world where Pokémon are incidental, then the villain shows up and declares how much he loves Thicc Boi Mewtwo".

• Chuckle 2

40 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I liked it. It was absolutely better than "Human spends 90 minutes in a world where Pokémon are incidental, then the villain shows up and declares how much he loves Thicc Boi Mewtwo".

I have not gotten around to seeing detective pikachu

So I say this in all seriousness to the bolded

What

I just saw the Sonic movie and my mind is a massive jumble of things I want to talk about and say but I think the most important thing I need to get out is how happy I am that I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from top to bottom and I feel jazzed about being Sonic fan today.

This entire situation is something I've never heard of before and seeing it play out with my favorite series on the planet is quite the surreal experience

After all the harsh things I had to say about the premise of the film (rightfully so considering how things started) about the direction they were taking, the general way things tend to go with video game movies, and the usual, expected way things tend to go for Sonic in general I was not looking forward to this movie. The last thing I wanted was another strike against Sonic's record on THIS huge a scale. The idea of Sonic baring his ass before everyone in a theatre off the heels of being promoted far more than anything that's been promoted recently thanks to a movie that started out looking as though it was going to be a disaster was worrisome to the nth degree. 

When that original design came out, everything I feared felt as though it had been confirmed all at once and all I could do was laugh, seeing as how I had given up on the movie before the initial trailer was even released. The first thing that threw me for a loop was finding out how much mainstream attention that horrid design got. It was the first trigger in the pit of my soul that clued me into the fact that there was indeed a lot more people out there who loved Sonic than I thought. After seeing the movie I have no idea how this film could have even worked with that original design.

However, even when the new trailer came out, I remained a bit cynical. Not as cynical as before as the way the internet was coming together to be POSITIVE about something eventually rubbed off on me and I started to have fun but I wasn't too certain that a design change meant that the movie itself was going to be anything fun. 

However, the movie came out and for an entire week I looked at my subscription box on Youtube and saw thumbnails with people clearly happy as well as talk all over twitter about it having been a GOOD thing. Even still, I was skeptical. I was thinking it may have just been enjoyed by virtue of it being better than we thought it was going to be but I wasn't convinced the elements it had were going to jell.

It did though. It works. As its own interpretation of Sonic the Hedgehog it actually works and it still kind of astonishes me.

Sonic was endearing and charming as a character. The interpretation was significantly more on the younger side to sell some of the emotional bits a bit more but the very fact that there were emotional bits connected to him and his dilemma was something I'm not all too used to for him. At least, not in this manner. I did genuinely feel sad for him when he kept going on about wanting to do as much as he could on Earth before he had to leave for the lonely Mushroom planet. I do feel that the film's reliance on that cheap, sad piano music was a bit of a disservice though. The scenes could have sold themselves on just his expressions alone as far as I'm concerned. That isn't to say there weren't parts where he could be a bit annoying, because there were a few times, but it helps when the movie is able to both acknowledge and run with it when it does happen.

Jim Robotnik was fantastic and I'd probably say he's the one who stole the movie had I not felt that it was a group effort between the four main characters. I will say that, out of the four of them, Robotnik was definitely the one that I enjoyed watching the most. I remember seeing the trailer and how much I was bothered by the dancing scene but seeing it in context and how surprisingly creative it was (especially the simulations of him running from things and pretending his head was bitten off by a dinosaur while his machine calibrated what it needed to do, literally just so he could have something to do while it did that) really charmed me. 

I loved how they incorporated the "Eggman" thing into the movie. I honestly didn't expect them to even bother with it due to how Robotnik looked BUT because of the design of his robots (little flying eggs, which I didn't catch until Sonic literally said it) they managed to get the name in there. I also really like his look at the end of the film. Skinny Robotnik with the red suit and the crazy stache and bald head works shockingly well. A part of me almost doesn't want him to be fat just yet. 

Then there were the characters I was certain I wouldn't give a shit about, Tom and Maddie. Naw, I really liked them too. Again, I'm not one for hatred against human characters in Sonic. I like the majority of the human characters in Sonic X after all, if only because of how wacky their personalities were. These two were just really fun and endearing people. I liked watching them interact and it was adorable how genuine their relationship felt. I also liked the sister that didn't like Tom. The line she had about telling her daughter to put on her walking device so she could cheat in some steps on it got me. And the adorable daughter who gave Sonic his first present. It's all so sweet.

Honestly, the thing I was worried about the most was the dialogue and (for the most part) it was all done really well. Even the stuff that looked bad in the trailer was recontextualized or delivered in a manner that made it come off entirely different that I was cool with. The one line about Sonic saying he was doing things to protect his friends and Tom saying the same thing wasn't this awkward spew of overly done, hammy nonsense like the trailer made it seem like it was going to be. There was an actual conversation that led up to that point and the way the actors delivered their lines felt more natural in the movie than in the out of context clips I saw. This should be expected of any movie, but it's hard to see past that when you're expecting the movie to be garbage.

Robotnik's lines were the best. Yes, some were hammy and over the top but Jim Carrey does it really well. "You just go back to being U(You)... seless" caught me off guard the most. They also got in a "Hell". Le Gasp!

Despite enjoying it the whole way through, I think the final act was by far the strongest. It was chalk full of stuff I do kind of wish to see more of from the series. A nice emotional core balanced with a back and forth between the hero and villain that pushes both of them to having the upperhand at the appropriate moments. The freeze-frame fast movement thing Sonic does in the film was very much an overconfident kind of ability of his so it was really great seeing how when Robotnik finally pressed the button to utilize Sonic's quill energy so that he could move as fast as Sonic did Sonic's plan of pushing them off the roof turned into something that had a genuine danger spike to it. The race around the world was great and seeing Sonic get so thoroughly demolished until his inevitable come back made Robotnik's banishment a satisfying end. 

Then there's the big thing that happened in the mid-credits that I was, unfortunately, spoiled on. It didn't take away from the moment of seeing it on the big screen though. I felt the giddiness of sheer happiness well up in my heart when I heard the voice accompanying the special surprise too. It was such a lovely treat and I'll cherish it even if there isn't a sequel. I'm REALLY interested in seeing how this particular meeting is going to go down though so I really hope there is one.

I also thought that the predictable troupes would bother me a lot more but the more films I watch, the more I realize that the mere presence of these troupes matters a lot less than how the troupes are handled. If the way it was handled endears you than there's no point in complaining about their existence as far as your own personal enjoyment goes. It's perfectly fine to sometimes sit back and enjoy something wholesome and fun even if it isn't the most original thing out there. So long as it's not embarrassing and infuriating like Rise of Skywalker was, it doesn't have to be on the level of an Oscar movie or even Pixar film (when Pixar is good).

As an interpretation of Sonic, it stands on its own well. I can't agree with any remark that says it isn't anything like a Sonic movie would or could be. There's so many different iterations of Sonic at this point. Like with Batman or anything else with a long shelf-life, when different people get their hands on it different things arise from it that are their own flavor of Sonic. Sonic Boom was more of a departure from traditional Sonic than this movie was. 

More so than anything though, I'm just really happy I was proven wrong about this. Even though this movie isn't a masterpiece by any stretch, I can't help but look at this and consider what happened here a cosmic miracle. How the hell do you start out with such an intense amount of bad blood and so much going against you and turn it around THIS much to the point where not only is everyone enjoying it but it's a big enough success that it's opening weekend surpassed a Pokemon movie? I'm still kind of in shock. 

I'm so happy. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think this incredibly unlikely situation may have restored a bit of hope in me that it might actually be possible to fix what's going wrong with the main 3D games. At the very least, I don't think I'm as close minded to the possibility of it one day happening anymore. I've witnessed something that's truly one in a million here. It feels great that I can say that the Sonic movie was one of the good ones as far as video game movie adaptations go. I can't wait to get the Blu Ray for this.

I love Sonic and I love being a Sonic fan. It's nice that there's a lot of stuff coming out to remind me of that despite my frustration with the 3D games. It just feels really awesome being a fan of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, OnyxCrimsonBlur said:

Ryan was better than Jason and I wish they would've kept him. Roger gives Sonic an interesting personality and I do enjoy it. It's just, I really do like consistency in voices and when they change too often then you wind up with voices that don't fit. 

Take Shadow for example. David was perfect, then they dropped him for Jason and he was just a deeper toned Sonic for the longest time. Now it's Kirk and while Kirk is trying it just doesn't hit the ear right. David was perfect, just as Ryan was. 

Consistency is best, it really is. 

I understand but I would've been happy if Jason Griffith stayed in the role. Smith has been Sonic for the past decade and I still feel he isn't a great fit for him. When I think of Sonic, I think of Griffith but I can imagine Ryan Drummond too as well as Jaleel White when I see Classic Sonic. Roger just doesn't feel like Sonic to me. 

I think the transition to Roger is a bigger departure in voice than the transition to Griffith from Drummond or even White to Drummond. Smith has such a deep, gruff voice naturally when he does Sonic, he sounds like a teenager whose voice has just changed or a grown man still pretending to be one. 

I wouldn't mind at all if Schwartz took over as Sonic. For many kids, he's gonna be the definitive voice of Sonic anyway because of the wider demographic exposure of the movie franchise

One thing I love about this version of Eggman- Jim Carrey really captures his obsessiveness. “Every time I look at you, evil grows in me.” Such a perfect song to convey what’s happening in Eggman’s mind. Sonic fuels his megalomania and he just can’t let go. It gets to a point where 

he has defeated Sonic and harnesses his power, yet when Sonic gets back up, he’s happy.

Storyboard Animation.:

Also, apparently the movie had unfortunately been delayed in China due to the coronavirus. I'm not surprised it got delayed because of that. I had a feeling it will be delayed because of that reason.:

I think the movie doesn't need China to do well. The movie is already a box office success. 

10 hours ago, JezMM said:

Movie Sonic is not the same character as Game Sonic.  They're both Sonic, but they are not the same person... y'know?

Dunno about you guys, but I hate this "multiple iteration of the same character" thing. Makes the whole thing messy, hard to follow, and just raises the question: Who is even Sonic, does he have his own personality anymore? Or he can be anything and everything now with these iterations, there's no 'REAL' Sonic anymore. It's not that he changed or evolved, it's just a different iteration of him.

12 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Dunno about you guys, but I hate this "multiple iteration of the same character" thing. Makes the whole thing messy, hard to follow, and just raises the question: Who is even Sonic, does he have his own personality anymore? Or he can be anything and everything now with these iterations, there's no 'REAL' Sonic anymore. It's not that he changed or evolved, it's just a different iteration of him.

There are several versions of Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, Superman that all exist at the same time right now. Why can't Sonic have multiple versions as well? 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Tarnish said:

We always had multiple versions of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2