Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

On 2/16/2020 at 3:34 AM, Austroid said:

After all the modern era games from 2010-onward, its nice to see Sonic emote more than "I'm the one-note wisecracker who never takes things seriously!"

"The entire planet is in danger because I messed up."

On 2/16/2020 at 3:39 AM, StaticMania said:

Oh, he emotes more than normal...he doesn't have more "personality".

I see.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:02 AM, NoKaine said:

EDIT: Same thing with the whole "Sonic has a personality now", no, it's kind of the same personality he's always had, it's just that he has a story that highlights that personality. Hell, Lost World also tried to develop his personality in a similar way.

Yeah, I generally head tilt whenever I see that phrase show up.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:29 AM, Myst said:

On 2/16/2020 at 7:12 AM, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Everyday I'm glad that they didn't go with this abomination.

Yeah, I was about to say, approaching Nightmare Fuel.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, NoKaine said:

Personality is what people would and wouldn't do, and the reasons why. If you don't count what people do as part of their personality, how do you define personality? The things I mentioned that Sonic does aren't things people do randomly. It's what hyperactive people do.

You're right, in a game series with in-depth character writing that fleshes out their characterization, Sonic wouldn't be defined by his hyperactivity. But Sonic is not a game series with in-depth character writing that fleshes out their characterization, it's a game series that calls its dark, literally dark brooding character SHADOW. Mighty is mighty, because he's strong. Espio? Like espionage? And he's a ninja? It's always been like this. Sonic in particular has never had in-depth characterization, ever. He is fast, cool, and heroic, whatever the hell those mean.

Okay, but those are naming schemes. I thought we were talking about personalities?

On 2/16/2020 at 10:23 AM, NoKaine said:

LMAO okay, tell me about the complex characterization of Knuckles the Echidna. Even when Knuckles does something morally questionable, like fight Sonic, it's because he believes that Sonic is evil and Eggman is good.

Tell me about the time Sonic snapped a guy's neck because he had no choice. Tell me about literally any morally ambiguous thing that Sonic has ever done. Just because it took you 30 years to notice that Sonic is a shonen game series doesn't mean anything changed. The second game had him turn yellow when he goes Super, but nah, Sonic totally isn't a shonen character...

All the good guys fight the bad guys. All the bad guys fight the good guys. All the anti-heroes kind of fight the good guys but also definitely fight the bad guys. Sonic is no more """pure""" than any other character, and I don't even know why it would be a bad thing if he was.

Sonic did take out a couple of soldiers to break out of custody and was perfectly fine killing a king in spite of the values dissonance.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Diogenes said:

I mean on the subject of "pureness"...

They literally had a game where Sonic got blasted by so much dark energy that he mutated every night, but there's no actual conflict that comes from it because he's just too pure and nice and strong to be affected otherwise.

Nobody's expecting award-winning drama and depth out of these characters but they should at least have enough of a personality that you can tell actual stories about them. Sonic was supposed to have at least a little bit of an edge to him; not "edgy", not morally gray, but not a boy scout either, but that's been sanded down over time and it's made him less interesting.

I thought the idea was that Sonic is confident in himself.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, Solister said:

This is something which is bugging me. Not actually a spoiler (If there's any in this movie aside you know what), but maybe people, like me, want every single detail as they watch the movie for the first time.

Hide contents

You know something which bugs me in the movie? The stop time control scene.

AFAIK, Sonic doesn't have any ability to control time (yet) so those scenes (On the bar is the first which comes in my mind, not sure if there was another) really left me with a question mark in my head. I even though on Chaos Control, but there were not even Chaos Emeralds in the movie (In fact, where the hell they went? Not in Forces and not in the movie?).

But yeah, I can't find a logic explanation for this. Except if it was in slow motion and Sonic was so fast which looked he was in normal speed and people's usual velocity was so slow which barely look they were millimeter moving

And if anyone's going to reply me, please use quote button because it's been really hard to keep up with this topic. (By this, I'll receive a notification direct to your reply).

Yeah, that generally took me out of it a bit.

On 2/16/2020 at 12:38 PM, ShadowSJG said:

I wonder how baby sonic looked predesign

I wanna joke that it's just the new design, but we know that's not true.

Wasn't there a mask or toy or something of it posted here, tho? 

On 2/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The point is, we don't know who game Sonic was before he was as it was never explored in Japanese media by Naka and co. outside of a really weird background where he's the reincarnation of an airplane pilot. 

The hell?

On 2/16/2020 at 7:50 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Found these from the official Sonic Movie Facebook page.:

I noticed that the 1st picture is similar to this one.:

Hide contents
EQ74AEcWAAEc2qv?format=jpg&name=largeEQ73_w2WoAA-EmI?format=jpg&name=medium

Yeah, I was about to say, is that the World's Collide cover?

On 2/16/2020 at 8:37 PM, CaptainRobo said:

If anybody is curious who is the voice actor of Baby Sonic, he was voiced by this kid.:

Hide contents

Aw, so it's Ben either way.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Your avatar implies that you're a Sonic X fan, so this claim confuses me.

3a6.gif

Huh. Forgot that even happened.

-

Okay, I think I've had enough for tonight.

19 hours ago, Kuzu said:

You're complaining about something that's been a trend for literally before you were born dude.

So I can't complain about something that has been happening before my time? Guess we shouldn't complain about all the different kinds of crimes either then, since it has been going on since the dawn of humanity then. Just because it has been going on for a long time doesn't mean it's good and above criticism.

20 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Its literally making its own.

Unless of course it decides to use already established elements from the games like characters, locations, items, bunch of easter egg references. Yeah, it's making its own, except when its convinient not to.

Guess I'm just tired that when something becomes super popular, it must suddenly have multiple iterations to appeal to everyone in the planet and their mother, so everyone ends up liking that one iteration while couldn't care less about all the other, resulting in actually enjoying a fraction of the entire franchise. And losing a big part of its identity, because it can't have one anymore if it must cater to as many people as possible.

I'm tired of having to comb through this franchise to find if it even has anything anymore that is meant for me.

It's not happening because of appeal, it's just because different and maybe people would want to see something different.

It then keeps happening due to audience appeal or that's what it eventually devolves into.

2 hours ago, Tarnish said:

it decides to use already established elements from the games like characters, locations, items, bunch of easter egg references

Oh come on now. Now you're just complaining that this adaptation does what adaptations do. Make up your mind kid.

By that botched logic, all movie adaptations have to be exactly like the stuff they're adapting. And needless to say, that isn't really going to work. At this point, it's beginning to sound more like you're disappointed that this movie didn't out to be the failure you were predicting it to be.

It doesn't change the fact that your botched example trying to compare this to Star Wars sequel trilogy's problems, doesn't hold weight, because the two examples are completely different.

3 hours ago, Tarnish said:

So I can't complain about something that has been happening before my time? Guess we shouldn't complain about all the different kinds of crimes either then, since it has been going on since the dawn of humanity then. Just because it has been going on for a long time doesn't mean it's good and above criticism.

Unless of course it decides to use already established elements from the games like characters, locations, items, bunch of easter egg references. Yeah, it's making its own, except when its convinient not to.

Guess I'm just tired that when something becomes super popular, it must suddenly have multiple iterations to appeal to everyone in the planet and their mother, so everyone ends up liking that one iteration while couldn't care less about all the other, resulting in actually enjoying a fraction of the entire franchise. And losing a big part of its identity, because it can't have one anymore if it must cater to as many people as possible.

I'm tired of having to comb through this franchise to find if it even has anything anymore that is meant for me.

I'm going to be completely blunt here, this sounds like a personal problem for you specifically.

If you find that the series isn't catering to your specific tastes, then nothing is stopping you from just disengaging yourself from the series and finding something that does appeal to you.

Because honestly, this feels like bitterness because an offset of the franchise you don't care for is gaining popularity while the stuff that you care for is being ignored. A

I get it, because it sucks when it feels like you're being ignored. But being resentful of the movie being successful isn't hurting anyone but yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone else think they should get danica Patrick to do a cameo in the sequel

would be fitting since she was in one fo the sonic all stars racing games

I got my hands on the official novelisation. First of all, the opening reveals a couple details about Longclaw and the echidnas that I don’t recall being in the movie:

Longclaw is the last of a noble line of warrior owls who were tasked with maintaining order for all living creatures.

The echidnas who chased Sonic are apparently in allegiance with some “powerful warlords” who want to use Sonic’s chaos power to overtake the world.

There are also a lot of differences from the movie. The ones I noticed include:

-Sonic already has his red sneakers from the beginning; he doesn’t wear those old beat up shoes before eventually switching them.

-Sonic actually refers to Robotnik as “Ro-butt-nik” a couple of times (like in the DiC cartoons).

-The bar brawl scene begins differently; Sonic line dances across the bar and accidentally kicks the fat biker guy in the bottom, and it goes from there.

-Sonic has a collection of “Speed Demon” comics rather than Flash ones.

-Maddie is staying in San Francisco alone; her sister and niece don’t appear.

-When Sonic is brought round by the smelling salts, he immediatly bolts around the room, energized and not disoriented like in the movie (no “is the Rock president?” gag here).

-The scene where Agent Stone interrupts Robotnik mid-dance is a little different; he stops dancing as soon as the door to the base opens with Stone standing there. The conversation when he gives him the latte is also completely different.

-In the final scene, Robotnik doesn’t shave his head (he’s described as tilting “his wild hairy head” to listen to Wilson his Agent Stone stand-in).

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Does anyone else think they should get danica Patrick to do a cameo in the sequel

would be fitting since she was in one fo the sonic all stars racing games

There are a handful of people I'd get involved ahead of Danica. She'd be a nice nod but I think it would make much more sense to have jaleel, naka or even Crush 40 jamming on a stage in the background before I even start looking in her direction. 

More honerable mentions for Pollok and Hesse. I want to see him on a boardwalk drawing portraits or something. 

18 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

I got my hands on the official novelisation. First of all, the opening reveals a couple details about Longclaw and the echidnas that I don’t recall being in the movie:

Hide contents

Longclaw is the last of a noble line of warrior owls who were tasked with maintaining order for all living creatures.

The echidnas who chased Sonic are apparently in allegiance with some “powerful warlords” who want to use Sonic’s chaos power to overtake the world.

There are also a lot of differences from the movie. The ones I noticed include:

Hide contents

-Sonic already has his red sneakers from the beginning; he doesn’t wear those old beat up shoes before eventually switching them.

-Sonic actually refers to Robotnik as “Ro-butt-nik” a couple of times (like in the DiC cartoons).

-The bar brawl scene begins differently; Sonic line dances across the bar and accidentally kicks the fat biker guy in the bottom, and it goes from there.

-Sonic has a collection of “Speed Demon” comics rather than Flash ones.

-Maddie is staying in San Francisco alone; her sister and niece don’t appear.

-When Sonic is brought round by the smelling salts, he immediatly bolts around the room, energized and not disoriented like in the movie (no “is the Rock president?” gag here).

-The scene where Agent Stone interrupts Robotnik mid-dance is a little different; he stops dancing as soon as the door to the base opens with Stone standing there. The conversation when he gives him the latte is also completely different.

-In the final scene, Robotnik doesn’t shave his head (he’s described as tilting “his wild hairy head” to listen to Wilson his Agent Stone stand-in).

Spoiler

That's weird. I'd think it's from an earlier revision of the movie before rewrites, but the Eggman being bald scene has been in there since the original trailer, so it can't be that.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

There are a handful of people I'd get involved ahead of Danica. She'd be a nice nod but I think it would make much more sense to have jaleel, naka or even Crush 40 jamming on a stage in the background before I even start looking in her direction. 

More honerable mentions for Pollok and Hesse. I want to see him on a boardwalk drawing portraits or something. 

Apparently Yuji Naka was suppose to cameo, but was forgotten during production.

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(film)#Trivia

• Absolutely 1

VERY interesting (SPOILER-RIDDEN FROM THE START) talk with Jeff Fowler and Neal Moritz about the film. They are asked really good questions by the audience (this seems like a film school filled with Sonic fans lol?) and give really good answers. I think you should watch all of it (AFTER you see the movie of course). After having watched it I can say this:

Jeff Fowler is the hero we needed. Listen to his responses, especially about fans. If there was anyone who should be making Sonic movies, it's this guy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guess I finally got into terms with this movie. I think the sequel has a lot of potential TBH, especially for Eggman. I'm actually excited for the possibilities.

That last scene man. The mustache, the goggles, the VOICE, oh my God, the voice. Carrey was clearly trying to do Mike Pollock's Eggman voice and I love it.

I was never on board with the whole live action hybrid idea, but I guess there's no point arguing about that anymore, the movie's already out and I'll be damned, it's making a lot of cash. So yeah.

Been watching some interviews with Jeff Fowler and the one @The Man On The Inside posted above gives me confidence that this guy knows what he's doing and is actually aware of some of our concerns, like both Eggman and Sonic not being on their "prime" from the beggining, which is something he's likely gonna work in the sequel. Eggman already showed some great development, slowly getting closer to Eggman's persona from the games. Hopefully Sonic will grow to have the cockyness and atitude he's known for instead of a hyperactive child.

We'll see.

Pizza Promotion from Shakey's Pizza Parlor Japan.:

Also, here is the reason why Knuckles was not in the movie according to Jeff Fowler.:

Spoiler

“For this first film, we really were just looking at the 1991 game and just see where it all started and just keep it simple,” Fowler said. “Just really try to nail Sonic and Robotnik and just set up their rivalry because you don't ... I mean, I love ... There's a lot of great characters in Sonic universe, but it's the most important thing is just to get Sonic set up and just tell a little bit of an origin story with him, and just do it in a way that really makes everyone fall in love with him as a character and just be rooting for more. And then, if all that goes well, then we can kind of open it up and bring in some of these other characters that fans know and love. And yeah, I mean, no one's more excited than me to have that opportunity.”

Source

7 hours ago, Jango said:

Guess I finally got into terms with this movie. I think the sequel has a lot of potential TBH, especially for Eggman. I'm actually excited for the possibilities.

Reveal hidden contents

That last scene man. The mustache, the goggles, the VOICE, oh my God, the voice. Carrey was clearly trying to do Mike Pollock's Eggman voice and I love it.

I was never on board with the whole live action hybrid idea, but I guess there's no point arguing about that anymore, the movie's already out and I'll be damned, it's making a lot of cash. So yeah.

Been watching some interviews with Jeff Fowler and the one @The Man On The Inside posted above gives me confidence that this guy knows what he's doing and is actually aware of some of our concerns, like both Eggman and Sonic not being on their "prime" from the beggining, which is something he's likely gonna work in the sequel. Eggman already showed some great development, slowly getting closer to Eggman's persona from the games. Hopefully Sonic will grow to have the cockyness and atitude he's known for instead of a hyperactive child.

We'll see.

So tell me...

Spoiler

Did those shoes taste delicious or what? :P

8 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

So tell me...

Reveal hidden contents

Did those shoes taste delicious or what? :P

I mean, you can make anything taste better with some ketchup amirite

Jeff Fowler on Super Sonic and the Chaos Emeralds not appearing in the movie.:

It didn't make sense to obviously bring in the Super Sonic thing just yet. I mean, there were very early versions of the script and the outlines where... because we knew that's something that's very important in the fan mythology, or the mythology that fans love. And Chaos Emeralds are definitely a huge part, even going back to the first game in '91, and it was definitely something that we were kind of trying to see. Like, "Does it make sense to include one of these?"

But again, just going back to what I said about the simplicity of it and just for the sake of just really starting from the simplest version and not trying to do too much, it just felt like, "Let's just... let's do the origins as Sonic and Robotnik and try to nail those characters before we potentially would open it up to some of these elements from the games that fans know and love.'"

Source

BTW, also, here is another Japanese tie-in promotion.:

New to the boards but have been using the site for a long time.

Thought the movie was great. I think it was right to hold off on Super Sonic and the emeralds since they needed to establish the characters. I definitely want to see them but I think it would have been a little out of place in the context of the story. To visit a special zone in the middle of everything for just 1 emerald I assume.

Even in the games Super Sonic didn’t appear til part 2 so I’m totally fine with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, on the idea of a sequel, I'm thinking they will get a Crush 40 song playing, but will have it covered by some famous artist, or a recent artist. Not sure who they could really go for because I think most of the best selling rock bands are from the early 2000s and 90s. 
Perhaps the Imagine Dragons?

• Thumbs Up 1