Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Nah I say if you're gonna bring in Crush 40 songs, bring in Crush 40 themselves. It wouldn't be the same without Jun Senoue's guitar and Johnny Gioeli's vocals.

29 minutes ago, Sonario said:

Nah I say if you're gonna bring in Crush 40 songs, bring in Crush 40 themselves. It wouldn't be the same without Jun Senoue's guitar and Johnny Gioeli's vocals.

I mean, yeah, that's the best case scenario. But studios love to use artists to sell their movies, even if they are just covering someone else's song. It's a safer bet that someone else will just cover one of their songs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:55 AM, Jango said:

I mean, you can make anything taste better with some ketchup amirite

Except mac & cheese, or eggs.

Honestly I don't really care if Super Sonic shows up in the movies or not, unless they can think of something narratively interesting to do with him.  He makes sense in the games as a reward or to provide a more "special" feeling final gameplay, but in a movie, as soon as those chaos emeralds show up, you know how the final issue is going to be solved.  Unless they plan to subvert our expectations somehow, I'd rather they not bother.  It's just kind of a cheap narrative solution that has about as much interest as kids in a playground going "I shoot you with a gun!"  "I have a gun-proof shield!"  "Aha but I have a gun-proof shield piercing gun!!"  Y'know?  Robotnik becomes too powerful for regular Sonic so... Sonic becomes a more powerful Sonic.  Yawn.

It's actually given me an appreciation for Fleetway's odd interpretation of Super Sonic actually - it certainly made for more conflict and interest in the narrative.

So yeah the movie...it’s pretty meh to below average imo. I genuinely found myself bored for most of it. It’s not terrible mind you, it’s not the trainwreck we were all thinking it’d be, but it certainly isn’t close to what I was hoping.

So right off the bat, yes, I’m a bit biased because I’m still not a fan of the live action direction, however with that said, the live action was never gonna kill it immediately for me. However, I was personally hoping for a more aesthetically pleasing live action take on Sonic. Something that compliments Sonic vs contrasts him. I was hoping for something akin to Detective Pikachu, a film that created its own original world and take on Pokémon in a live action environment. I appreciate those type of live action endeavors personally more than “drop them in the real world” stories. As it is, the setting came off super bland and uninteresting to me, not helped by the Green Hill Zone intro which gave the world life, and personality and visually kept me engaged. It’s one of my most wanted hopes in a sequel that they give us more visually engaging and interesting settings and locales that can compliment Sonic and friends. (It’s why I prefer animation for sonic cause stuff like that is easier to do) something akin to Unleashed’s world but translated into live action would be awesome. Problem is, that’s more difficult to do now that the world is established as reality, which makes me kinda expecting more of the same on that front. Again, much like detective pikachu, I kinda wish this film never had sonic be from a separate world, and instead Sonic and his friends just co-existed with humans. Then we possibly could have had more of a Sonic feeling setting.

Aside from that complaint of mine, the rest of the movie was still a bit dry to me. The humor was super hit or miss, the characters outside Eggman and Sonic did not hold my interest at all, and the story overall was as I expected, generic. 

I’m fine with Sonic. At first I was offput by his radical difference to the game versions, but eh, this is their take. My only hope going forward is we possibly get a more mature Sonic in the sequels. I didn’t like all that much the hyperactive child like aspect of his character. Eggman’s alright, he’s Jim Carrey, so it really falls onto if you like his style of acting or not. If you do, you’ll like him, if you don’t, he won’t really make you feel much. I personally enjoyed him enough. He did Eggman justice.

its obvious love and effort went into this, I won’t fault them on that. It’s fun for the kids especially, and I’m happy it’s doing well, potentially opening up the way for a bigger sequel with more of a Sonic emphasis...but I can’t personally put this in my favorite video game films group. It’s better than most yeah on a objective front, but subjectively, eh. It just doesn’t stick in my mind all that much compared to a lot of video game movies that are objectively shittier.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

It's actually given me an appreciation for Fleetway's odd interpretation of Super Sonic actually - it certainly made for more conflict and interest in the narrative.

One of the few good things Fleetway actually did.

5 hours ago, JezMM said:

Honestly I don't really care if Super Sonic shows up in the movies or not, unless they can think of something narratively interesting to do with him.  He makes sense in the games as a reward or to provide a more "special" feeling final gameplay, but in a movie, as soon as those chaos emeralds show up, you know how the final issue is going to be solved.  Unless they plan to subvert our expectations somehow, I'd rather they not bother.  It's just kind of a cheap narrative solution that has about as much interest as kids in a playground going "I shoot you with a gun!"  "I have a gun-proof shield!"  "Aha but I have a gun-proof shield piercing gun!!"  Y'know?  Robotnik becomes too powerful for regular Sonic so... Sonic becomes a more powerful Sonic.  Yawn.

I don't know the full details but if the leaked mad-libs book was anything to go by, Sonic got his powers via an accident with the chaos emeralds somehow. If they were to go with that, what if they tied his powers, and Super Sonic, to the emerald's "turning thoughts into power/amplifying the desires of the heart/whatever" and that being how the chaos energy manifests as Sonic's source of speed, increasing with either more chaos energy or his own willpower? It doesn't do anything to make the general storybeats any better than the scenario you're describing, but it could be a piece of cool context on it's own for this universe imo.

Though, I kind of have difficulty thinking of how any of these final battles differ from that sort of mentality in the first place. Typically a good final battle has tension of some sort, where the heroes look to have a chance, then the bad guy makes it clear that he is one step ahead of them and "they can't possibly defeat him now", to the heroes realizing they have what they needed to be stronger all along, be it emotionally, skill-based, or just random dues ex machina/power-up they discovered. Just because the chaos emeralds are built around the same structure doesn't mean they have to be boring; if other stories can take these climaxes and make them legitimately enjoyable to watch unfold, the same should be able to be achieved with the chaos emeralds as well.

Edit: Oh, I also didn't mind that Super Sonic was absent from this movie specifically, but I am bummed out that the chaos emeralds didn't appear and were scrapped, as that would have really tied everything together in a way that'd set up a lot of potential for the series. Both with Sonic's powers and origin, the worldbuilding behind the emeralds, and the set up for the Echidna's hunting down Sonic because of this power, which if they played their cards right, could have lead straight into Sonic Adventure's storyline. It wouldn't have played out the exact same, since the events would have been ten years ago rather than decades in the past, so no murals of Chaos or anything like that, but something like Chaos happening in live action is exactly what I was looking for from a Sonic movie in terms of spectacle that only Hollywood could provide, so I'd be all over whatever we could get out of a different take on Adventure's finale tbh.

I’ve never read Sonic the Comic but I looked up that version and it’s definitely an interesting take. It sounds similar to how Robotnik turned evil in that short origin comic. Where he absorbs the evil energy.

Still I personally would not like that for the movie. I too think you can still come up with a good conflict that involves traditional Super Sonic. Not that he would just totally wipeout Robotnik. The games have presented some good situations for him. If hey don’t want to use monsters a robot could gain a Super form like Metal in Heroes.

6 hours ago, The Deleter said:

I don't know the full details but if the leaked mad-libs book was anything to go by, Sonic got his powers via an accident with the chaos emeralds somehow. If they were to go with that, what if they tied his powers, and Super Sonic, to the emerald's "turning thoughts into power/amplifying the desires of the heart/whatever" and that being how the chaos energy manifests as Sonic's source of speed, increasing with either more chaos energy or his own willpower? It doesn't do anything to make the general storybeats any better than the scenario you're describing, but it could be a piece of cool context on it's own for this universe imo.

Though, I kind of have difficulty thinking of how any of these final battles differ from that sort of mentality in the first place. Typically a good final battle has tension of some sort, where the heroes look to have a chance, then the bad guy makes it clear that he is one step ahead of them and "they can't possibly defeat him now", to the heroes realizing they have what they needed to be stronger all along, be it emotionally, skill-based, or just random dues ex machina/power-up they discovered. Just because the chaos emeralds are built around the same structure doesn't mean they have to be boring; if other stories can take these climaxes and make them legitimately enjoyable to watch unfold, the same should be able to be achieved with the chaos emeralds as well.

Edit: Oh, I also didn't mind that Super Sonic was absent from this movie specifically, but I am bummed out that the chaos emeralds didn't appear and were scrapped, as that would have really tied everything together in a way that'd set up a lot of potential for the series. Both with Sonic's powers and origin, the worldbuilding behind the emeralds, and the set up for the Echidna's hunting down Sonic because of this power, which if they played their cards right, could have lead straight into Sonic Adventure's storyline. It wouldn't have played out the exact same, since the events would have been ten years ago rather than decades in the past, so no murals of Chaos or anything like that, but something like Chaos happening in live action is exactly what I was looking for from a Sonic movie in terms of spectacle that only Hollywood could provide, so I'd be all over whatever we could get out of a different take on Adventure's finale tbh.

It's definitely possible - to be honest, Sonic Adventure is a really good example - it isn't just "monster too powerful, Sonic squeezes a can of spinach into his mouth and now he can win", the dramatic focus instead is put on the idea that Chaos has drained the emeralds, and how positive energy and friendship can re-energise them and overcome the hatred in Chaos' heart.  As you say, there is some level of formula to it all, finales are often "all hope is lost UNLESS!!", but I will say that chaos emeralds tell us the "unless!!" in advance.  In the movie, I had no idea how Sonic was gonna come back from nearly dying until it happened.

So yeah, chaos emeralds can definitely have their place (though the writers shouldn't be too precious about their mechanics - having to find 7 of them and turning the story into a macguffin plot can really cause tight pacing to escape from the writer's grasp as they become obligated to follow the rules - see how Scott Pilgrim did an admirable attempt but slightly clumsy job of squeezing 6 seperate antagonist plots from 6 books into a single movie).

All I hope is that they are not the final solution to the story's climax.

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

It's definitely possible - to be honest, Sonic Adventure is a really good example - it isn't just "monster too powerful, Sonic squeezes a can of spinach into his mouth and now he can win", the dramatic focus instead is put on the idea that Chaos has drained the emeralds, and how positive energy and friendship can re-energise them and overcome the hatred in Chaos' heart.  As you say, there is some level of formula to it all, finales are often "all hope is lost UNLESS!!", but I will say that chaos emeralds tell us the "unless!!" in advance.  In the movie, I had no idea how Sonic was gonna come back from nearly dying until it happened.

So yeah, chaos emeralds can definitely have their place (though the writers shouldn't be too precious about their mechanics - having to find 7 of them and turning the story into a macguffin plot can really cause tight pacing to escape from the writer's grasp as they become obligated to follow the rules - see how Scott Pilgrim did an admirable attempt but slightly clumsy job of squeezing 6 seperate antagonist plots from 6 books into a single movie).

All I hope is that they are not the final solution to the story's climax.

(I mean he deliberately gave chaos multiple concussions in-game but I guess if the cutscenes are anything to go by, sure :V)

Maybe a good way to handle it would be to give the chaos emeralds a bit of a capture-the-flag quality to them - they're the key to winning the battle, and the more you have the more power you have, but the opposing team can make full use of them if they get their hands on them as well, and no one team really needs all of them to activate them/become super in the first place. Eggman often has a lot of them by the end game of most Sonic games, after all. Then the focus can be put on the tactics one party has to either retrieve all of them from the opposing team and win by sheer strength, buy enough time to pull off a contingency plan or figure a loophole out on the fly, or win via skill/a clever play in the face of rising stakes as the villains power up just by being near the emeralds/getting a hold of them all themselves.

I hadn't considered the angle of Super Sonic just being a deus ex machina that takes away any narrative tension (in my defense, I've mostly just been jazzed by the idea of having a sequel that adheres more to Sonic lore), but he would unless they're smart about using him. I think a good way to do this is the same way the games do it, Sonic needs rings to stay transformed but supplies of rings are limited (this could be shown wordlessly by having the rings in Sonic's bag start vanishing as time passes and he realizes what's going on), when he runs out, the transformation ends. Maybe have Robotnik's giant robot or whatever sustain some damage in the fight, making him more beatable, but Sonic is tired out from the transformation so maybe Tails has to help, or it's a last ditch thing with just Sonic and Robotnik and Sonic barely makes it out, but is rescued by Tails. If we're mirroring canon more in the sequel, they could even do the Sonic 2 ending, where Sonic outruns the explosion on the Death Egg before falling to the planet below where he's caught on the Tornado's wing by Tails.

Back to the ring thing though, emphasizing this aspect of them and limiting Sonic's rings (they don't SEEM to be like they are in the games, where they're just floating everywhere) would be a good way to keep it true to it's canon roots without destroying any tension that could be had. Sonic's either got to finish the fight before he runs out or he's got to find out how to win after he runs out.

Oh I really like the idea of needing the rings to stay transformed. We don’t know how many he had in the first but they were definitely limited.

In the games it’s 1 ring per second but that can change since he can’t carry a bunch on him. Maybe 1 minute per ring. 10 rings equals 10 minutes. Another character could give him their last few if he’s about run out to create tension.

Not sure about working around needing 7. I’d have to think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, KHCast said:

So yeah the movie...it’s pretty meh to below average imo. I genuinely found myself bored for most of it. It’s not terrible mind you, it’s not the trainwreck we were all thinking it’d be, but it certainly isn’t close to what I was hoping.

So right off the bat, yes, I’m a bit biased because I’m still not a fan of the live action direction, however with that said, the live action was never gonna kill it immediately for me. However, I was personally hoping for a more aesthetically pleasing live action take on Sonic. Something that compliments Sonic vs contrasts him. I was hoping for something akin to Detective Pikachu, a film that created its own original world and take on Pokémon in a live action environment. I appreciate those type of live action endeavors personally more than “drop them in the real world” stories. As it is, the setting came off super bland and uninteresting to me, not helped by the Green Hill Zone intro which gave the world life, and personality and visually kept me engaged. It’s one of my most wanted hopes in a sequel that they give us more visually engaging and interesting settings and locales that can compliment Sonic and friends. (It’s why I prefer animation for sonic cause stuff like that is easier to do) something akin to Unleashed’s world but translated into live action would be awesome. Problem is, that’s more difficult to do now that the world is established as reality, which makes me kinda expecting more of the same on that front. Again, much like detective pikachu, I kinda wish this film never had sonic be from a separate world, and instead Sonic and his friends just co-existed with humans. Then we possibly could have had more of a Sonic feeling setting.

Aside from that complaint of mine, the rest of the movie was still a bit dry to me. The humor was super hit or miss, the characters outside Eggman and Sonic did not hold my interest at all, and the story overall was as I expected, generic. 

I’m fine with Sonic. At first I was offput by his radical difference to the game versions, but eh, this is their take. My only hope going forward is we possibly get a more mature Sonic in the sequels. I didn’t like all that much the hyperactive child like aspect of his character. Eggman’s alright, he’s Jim Carrey, so it really falls onto if you like his style of acting or not. If you do, you’ll like him, if you don’t, he won’t really make you feel much. I personally enjoyed him enough. He did Eggman justice.

its obvious love and effort went into this, I won’t fault them on that. It’s fun for the kids especially, and I’m happy it’s doing well, potentially opening up the way for a bigger sequel with more of a Sonic emphasis...but I can’t personally put this in my favorite video game films group. It’s better than most yeah on a objective front, but subjectively, eh. It just doesn’t stick in my mind all that much compared to a lot of video game movies that are objectively shittier.

I just watched the movie too, and despite liking it a lot more, my overall feeling of the movie is actually quite similar to yours. It's a great fun family flick and an amazing video game movie that similarly to Detective Pikachu, proves that the curse of Video Game Movies can be broken in the right hands, but it's not exactly an amazing SONIC Movie. It is good, great even, putting it's own spin on Sonic's origins and stuff and doing its own things and doing it very well in a pleasing and engaging way that made me smile throughout the whole thing, but I also kinda wish this wasn't just another "funny animal in human world" movie. Even though the humor had a lot more hits than misses for me (this is actually one of the better comedies I've watched recently, most jokes got a smile out of me and I enjoyed the overall tone) and I liked the regular non-Robotnik human characters more than some did, (James Marsden and his Donut Lord didn't feel weak or boring at all to me, even if he is a little bit of a bland protagonist, and Tika Sumpter's Maddie was also pretty good for the minor role she got and she could have done even better with a little more screentime, I even liked a bunch of the minor human characters, especially Crazy Carl), I don't really think having it be this kind of movie was a way to really bring out the potential of Sonic as a character or bring life to the games on the big screen. The new angles they took were fine and I did like where they went, but I just think it would have been a lot cooler and a lot more satisfying to go with a more traditional approach towards the character, something they can hopefully do later in the potential sequels, which is another reason I'm so glad it's smashing at the box office. And as the director seemed to imply, this movie was sort of "testing the waters" for bringing Sonic to the big screen, so maybe we'll really get to see the Blue Blur live up to his true potential in later movies. The future is bright, so let's keep on running!

This movie ended up great, and you can tell there was a lot of love put into it and the movie was meant for us fans, (the little bits of Green Hill Zone and Hyper Potions' Friends practically made me hyperventilate from joy and the mind blowing intro with the SEGA LOGO...I have no words for how epic that was) but it could have been a lot more (and could have been a HELL OF A LOT LESS too, so I'm truly grateful that they listened to us and fixed things up) and could really have blown our minds by bringing Sonic's world to life like DP did (I guess it sort of did considering the glimpse of GHZ, but didn't let us see it for long and dumped us in the human world quickly). But even if it didn't I'm perfectly fine with what it did, which is a great family movie in it's own right, just not exactly an awesome Sonic movie comparable to the games that earned Sonic his reputation as an icon. If you look at what we got instead of what we COULD have gotten, this movie is satisfying enough to be a success in my book. My thanks to Jeff Fowler and his crew for listening to fans and doing our Hedgehog Hero justice. It might not have been bringing Sonic's world and people to life and a spectacular mind blowing story centered around them, but rather a different, safe approach to the character by putting him in the staple "funny animal in our world" story with a few little twists, which is just fine if you take it as it is. Even if Sonic's potential wasn't used to the fullest, only good came out of it instead of bad, and I am grateful for the solid, entertaining movie we got.

Overall, I say this movie's about 7 or 8 outta 10. A fast paced, fun, heartwarming little adventure for the whole family, but not exactly jaw dropping spectacle or a true realization of the games given life on the big screen like Detective Pikachu was (that movie deserved so much more than it earned IMO, I gave that a full 10/10 for many things, including getting things right off the bat, they really knew what they were doing with it). Despite that, it's still a unique spin on the character which was done quite well in its own right and I'm thankful for the love and effort they took into bringing their vision (now no longer hideous thanks to them being open minded and actually listening to us) of our beloved character to life in a fun little adventure that I'd definitely recommend for fans and non-fans alike.

Jeff Fowler posted this picture of him in a Toyota Tacoma which had its roof chopped off.:

If anybody wondering what is the fate of the truck, here's what happen to the truck.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Not 100% on topic, but this made me laugh so hard I just have to share it (contains a little swearing, but not much)

Not sure if anybody post this before. According to this interview, Jeff say that Sonic is about 13-14 years old in the movie. Skip to 1:33 to heard it.:

Also, BTW,  found this.:

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Not sure if anybody post this before. According to this interview, Jeff say that Sonic is about 13-14 years old in the movie. Skip to 1:33 to heard it.:

Also, BTW,  found this.:

Hmm, yeah, I guess Sonic being 13 in the movie makes more sense than him being 15 considering the childlike way he was portrayed.

1 hour ago, batson said:

Hmm, yeah, I guess Sonic being 13 in the movie makes more sense than him being 15 considering the childlike way he was portrayed.

Yeah, he seems a lot more childish and "new" to life than his cool, confident 15-16 year old self from the games. (Shorter too, he doesn't even look 100 cm standing next to people) and Baby Sonic did seem a bit younger than 5 years old, closer to 3 or 4.  I do however expect that he might grow from his wide-eyed child personality to the laidback cocky teenager game personality in sequels, maybe even showing us his 15th birthday with the Wachowskis or something. He'll probably get better at using his power and figthing too. (the reason his punches did nothing to the biker dude might have been that he didn't really know how to throw a punch at all, and he didn't even know how to spindash till he accidentally hit that robot in the car chase)

Spoiler

Also, Tails during his brief appearance, at least to me, felt a little older than his 8-9 year old self from the games, in addition to more mature in adventuring, already taking the initiative to go look for Sonic by himself as if it's no big deal. It'd be REALLY cool to reverse the dynamic of Sonic and Tails as the adventuring duo, having Tails be the more experienced, confident leader and Sonic as the wide-eyed newbie would be a super unique way to portray their relationship. Having Tails as the Hero and Sonic as the Sidekick would blow some minds. Though I'm sure Sonic would gain some of his trademark confidence and take over the hero role at some point. But giving Tails this kind of major role might repair some of the damage that Forces did to him. I want to see the two tailed boy genius be the hero he can be! And having HIM teach SONIC the ropes would just be an awesome thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/sonics-very-fast-redesign/

Don't know if this was already posted, but this article gives a more in-depth look at the process of redesigning Sonic for this film featuring comments from Ged Wright. Ged Wright was the VFX supervisor (also Oscar-nominated) on this film.

More work went into this than I realised. His hands are not actually a consistent size, so they never look wrong! This article is full of facts like these.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interview with one of the artists who worked on the redesign:

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/sonics-very-fast-redesign/

His description of Jeff really tells you a lot about the guy. They couldn't have picked a better director for this franchise:

In addition to the issues of budget or schedule, there was a managerial aspect Wright faced in not having his team lose heart over the redesign. “Jeff (Fowler) was kind enough to come up to Vancouver along with people from Paramount and he gave a really lovely speech to the whole crew,” he recalled. Wright stood next to the Director as he spoke to the MPC team, “and I could see that it meant a lot to them. That the person that’s making this film came, rather than sending an arbitrary edict from LA. Instead, he had come and was thanking them for their energy,” he adds. “Jeff was excited by the opportunity and expressed that to them. He also had time, to sit one-on-one with various artists. Jeff definitely took the time to recognize that people had invested a lot of their personal lives in this and that you need to say thank you.”

After that meeting, the team picked five test shots, on being Sonic sitting on a motel bed, talking about how he doesn’t want to leave. “And one of the very first takes of that shot that came back from the animation was just absolutely perfect” Wright recalls happily. “We took a very exaggerated design that you could see was going to work when he was running around and dodging explosions and after the Director’s little pep talk, the team had come up with a very heartfelt and expressive performance with this new very exaggerated character. I think what’s ended up in the final movie, bar some tiny tweaks, is pretty much exactly that test”.

• Thumbs Up 3

Something I thought was interesting about the way this movie ended up. I was watching some "reaction" videos to the newer trailers  (something I never usually do) and I was seeing these people mention things like "his eyes look better now" and "he has gloves now! awesome!" Anyway it made me think:

If this had all went down, say, ten years ago, what would be different? If you had made a video as an adult male well into your 20s "reacting" to the first trailer, pointing out everything wrong with Sonic The Roadkill (as many did in 2019), would there be support or would there be snarky Destructoid articles, or commentators, or the studio calling you out for "liking a children's IP"? "It's not for you" etc. 

Seeing people on YT with large subscriber bases really take notice of the colour and shape of Sonic's eyes and their comments sections agreeing that it matters rather than trying to make fun of fans...It really took me back to the summer of 2010 when a younger me was frustrated by people's complaints about similar subjects, because it caused snarky articles rather than real change.

I don't know, maybe this one instance was just so clearly wrong that literally everyone who saw it were on the same page, regardless of how big a sonic fan they were (or weren't). And on this one occasion, the complaints were just so obviously valid that something had to be done. I still wonder if it would have played out like this ten, or even five years ago though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Set photo from the website and another one from an extra who play one of the kids in the minivan.:

Spoiler

STH_02580R.jpg

Also. BTW, found a Japanese promotion from NAVITIME.:

Last week, Kid Cudi rent out a theater for his fans to watch the movie. Ben also attended it.:

He had also seen the movie twice.:

• Thumbs Up 1

So I did not hate the original design as most did. I thought that particular scene that everyone used was bad but in general I thought he looked kinda cool in some shots. I do think he turned out perfect but I was not opposed to a more realistic design. I quite liked the early concepts we saw. The illustrations and where he’s wearing Nike shoes.

It’s weird to me that the first trailer design (which was final in their minds at the time) didn’t match what had shown up shortly before. I know characters go through different models but I think those concepts I mentioned would have worked very well.

As for what would happened 10 years ago. It probably would not have gotten delayed but he probably would have been designed in such a way that was at least acceptable to most. Still I’ve never felt the need to go online and totally trash something. I’m not super critical of movies to begin with but also because I don’t think it’s fair to the filmmakers.

Also you just don’t know if you’ll actually end up liking something. That’s one thing that bothered me when the first trailer came out. The backlash was immediately at max level. There was basically no time between reveal and change announcement. To be fair though not everyone just piled on it. There were some reasonable reactions and even some fan art.