Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Did anyone else get SA vibes when

Spoiler

Tails jumped from the ledge and flew into the distance? Because that reminded me of using him in the Mystic Ruins jungle area  

• Thumbs Up 3

Another reason why I think that scene could’ve given Sonic Adventure vibes was the music. It felt very Jun Senoue-ish to me. I don’t think it's included in the released soundtrack for Tom Holkenborg’s score either, part of me was/is speculating whether that could’ve been a little guest-composing from Jun there, but probably not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let it sink in that we're in a time where Sonic has made triple its budget in the box office over Detective Pikachu which couldn't do that.

image.thumb.png.e7092cafe1627310f04f3d8a7df67b0a.pngunknown.png?width=790&height=679

The Sonic movie still isn't out in China yet due to obvious, more important, reasons but because of that we've kind of lost the chance to see how the initial numbers would have been had it gotten a regular world-wide release. It's a bit of a shame but still it's also very understandable.

The fact that this movie did this without China is unbelievable.

• Thumbs Up 2

China is a bit of a mixed bag teritory anyway, it can add big numbers to the gross but only a quarter goes to the studio.

Video by Nerdstalgic covering the whole "1st-trailer/2nd-trailer/movie ended up good" story. Obviously nothing new but a well-produced, slick take on it. Refreshingly lacking in "Sonic games suck" meme-ery.

"Sonic has cultural ubiquity" you're damn right he does.

1 hour ago, The Man On The Inside said:

"Sonic has cultural ubiquity" you're damn right he does.

I think Fortnite long passed Sonic in that aspect, so much so that Sonic has a reference to it in his very own movie.

54 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Sonic has a reference to it in his very own movie.

He doesn't.  I know exactly what you're referring to, but you're mistaken on that front again.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

He doesn't.  I know exactly what you're referring to, but you're mistaken on that front again.

They could have been referencing an obsecure instagram video, but it's pretty likely they were referencing the popular video game. 

51 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

They could have been referencing an obsecure instagram video, but it's pretty likely they were referencing the popular video game. 

No. It's a popular misconception, but that dance was around well before it showed up in Fortnite. It's just a popular dance that tends to get people riled because it just so happens to be in Fortnite. 

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

The floss move was first seen in 2016, a year before Fortnite. I don't think it's a reference to that any more than it's just a trendy dance in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

The floss move was first seen in 2016, a year before Fortnite. I don't think it's a reference to that any more than it's just a trendy dance in general.

....Because it was in Fortnite, the popular kids game. If Sonic default danced, would you all really go "dang, the movie staff were big Scrubs fans". Fortnite doesn't own the dance, but it is what everyone knows it from, at least currently.

16 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

If Sonic default danced, would you all really go "dang, the movie staff were big Scrubs fans".

The default dance is an actual staple of Fortnite. Flossing? Not so much.

Hence why it's too much of a stretch to automatically assume that such us a Fortnite reference.

Found some set photos of Jim Carrey and his stunt double.:

Spoiler

ESXXn_eWsAAiDqn?format=jpg&name=medium

ESXXodYXcAY3HeV?format=jpg&name=medium

Some Japanese promotions that I found.:

Unfortunately, the movie got delayed in Japan due to the virus. Hopefully, there will be a new release date for the country soon.:

9 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

So is that another case of a scene that was in the trailers, but not in the movie? Or is your point that Fortnite didn't invent that dance (which I know it didn't), thus it can't be a Fortnite reference?

To that I say, in the world we live in, sadly it's not who invented something that matters, it's who popularises it. Even if they wanted to reference the original 'creator' with it, if it was popularised by someone/something else, chances are most people are gonna think it's a reference to that.

• Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

chances are most people are gonna think it's a reference to that.

Hence why I said it's a common misconception. 

It's seems that James Marsden had already signed on for more sequels.:

“I believe, I don’t know if I’m supposed to say. As many as they want to make. Yeah, that’s my somewhat vague answer. It is such a good group of people and it was so much fun to see Jim [Carrey] enjoying himself again.”

Source

New Concept Art.:

Also new pictures of the steelbook.:

• Thumbs Up 3

Yo! I am back! I took some time away from this forum to work on few different projects and to avoid movie spoilers. I watched the Sonic Movie twice last month with the 2nd time being on my birthday. Gotta say I really enjoyed it! Was one of those big life fulfilling moments for me personally to watch a Sonic Movie in the theaters. While the movie was still not my ideal choice for a Sonic Movie concept... but It still turned out really decent! Overall I would give it a 7.5 outta 10. It indeed was a generic movie story... regardless while the story was nothing special, they still managed to make it entertaining! The final design for Sonic TRULY did help. The best characters from the movie were obviously Sonic & Robotnik... the other cast of human characters were not fun/interesting even if also not being horrible either. The Sonic OVA Movie is still my favorite movie for this franchise however... hopefully someday we can still get a fully animated 2D or 3D movie that takes place in a amazing Sonic feeling fantasy world. For now however I will be actually looking forward to the sequel for this current movie and hope it ends up good again, if not even great somehow!

Boy, keeping Marsden's character relevant is gonna be tough for the next movie. But we can't entirely abandon the human world as is. 

I'm wondering if they'll bring him to Mobius, or if they'll keep him on the human world for most of the sequel? Balancing the two will be the trickiest part of the narrative and will expose the weakness of having this live action hybrid. 

Still though, expect the budget to rise massively for the next movie. Paramount has their first hit in years that they can turn into a franchise machine, so they're gonna give this hedgehog the top dollar. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Boy, keeping Marsden's character relevant is gonna be tough for the next movie. But we can't entirely abandon the human world as is. 

Eh honestly, even if the majority of the second movie is gonna be spent on Mobius, I was expecting Marsden to return. Considering how the first movie ends,

Spoiler

we'd have to start in the human world anyway.

The budget will probably keep them on Earth for various minutes even in future movies. Or they are gonna find somewhat realistic planets? Who knows. But they can't afford a full CGI environment movie. I'd like to talk about that map someday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my gosh this is great news. I mean that their kind of confirming more even if we could already assume.

Tom’s side of the story was pretty small imo. Just enough to make him important. Of course it meant Sonic was like 95% the focus so that’s great but just a little surprised. I think they can come up with a good reason to have him around. 

I don’t think a sequel will entirely take place on Mobius though. It’ll be a more significant setting since Robotnik is there but I think they’ll alternate between that an earth.

Sort of off topic...we never actually got any Jack in the Box toys. Just that mini game thing and general promotion. Very disappointing. They totally could have made some kids meal style toys with Sonic spinning, the rings and Robotniks drones.