Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sequels will often use this device where you invert the premise of the first film, so I can see Tom going to Sonic's planet for a chunk of the film.

I give the first movie credit for not having Sonic return to Mobius after it ended actually. It at least gives justifiable reason for why Sonic would have to be in the human world still to begin with, instead of doing a Smurfs 2 where you have to find an excuse to drag the cartoon characters back into the real world. So at the least it won't make sense to have the sequel to Sonic not be on earth at all, because he has connections there that he will only just be establishing back on Mobius. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Box Office: ‘Sonic’ Adds $20 Million To Its Record-Breaking Run

'Sonic the Hedgehog' added $20 million to its box office total this past week

Sonic the Hedgehog

Paramount

While The Invisible Man took the top spot at last week’s box office, Sonic the Hedgehog excelled once again in second place. Thanks to a $19.6 million performance in its third week, the biggest surprise hit of 2020 has inched closer to becoming the highest-grossing video game movie of all time.

After just two weekends in theaters, Sonic’s domestic total stood at $106.5 million, which, at that time, already ranked the film as the fourth-highest-grossing video game film of all time domestically. And its worldwide total of $203 million ranked as the 13th highest ever at the international box office.

The extra $19.6 million from domestic showings this week brought the film’s U.S. total to $133 million, which now ranks as the second-highest ever for a video game movie at the domestic box office.

Here’s how the domestic rankings break down:

1. Pokemon Detective Pikachu ($144.1 million)
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog ($133 million)
  3. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider ($131.2 million)
  4. The Angry Birds Movie ($107.5 million)
  5. Rampage ($101 million)
  6. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ($90.8 million)
  7. Pokemon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back ($85.7 million)
  8. Mortal Kombat ($70.5 million)
  9. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life ($65.7 million)
  10. Resident Evil: Afterlife ($60.1 million)

But remember: Sonic the Hedgehog’s $133 million domestic total accounts for less than half of the movie’s entire worldwide cume. Thanks to profitable showings in markets like the United Kingdom ($22 million), France ($14 million), Mexico ($12 million) and Russia ($9 million), Sonic’s overseas total of $141.1 million brings the movie’s international gross to a whopping $273 million. That finally catapults Sonic into the top ten for highest-grossing video game movies ever.

PROMOTED

Here’s that international list broken down:

1. Warcraft ($439 million)
  2. Pokemon Detective Pikachu ($433 million)
  3. Rampage ($428 million)
  4. The Angry Birds Movie ($352.3 million)
  5. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ($336.4 million)
  6. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter ($312.2 million)
  7. Resident Evil: Afterlife ($300.2 million)
  8. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider ($274.7 million)
  9. Tomb Raider ($274.7 million)
  10. Sonic the Hedgehog ($273 million)

One thing to remember about Sonic’s domestic numbers: when we account for ticket price inflation, the film’s domestic total starts to pale in comparison to Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. After we adjust for inflation, Lara Croft’s revenue shoots up from $131.2 million in 2001 to $212.3 million in 2020—a total that Sonic is unlikely to ever eclipse.

Here’s that same domestic list from before adjusted for inflation:

1. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider ($212.3 million)
  2. Pokemon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back ($167.4 million)
  3. Mortal Kombat ($148.5 million)
  4. Pokemon Detective Pikachu ($144.1 million)
  5. Sonic the Hedgehog ($133 million)
  6. The Angry Birds Movie ($113.8 million)
  7. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ($105.4 million)
  8. Rampage ($101.6 million)
  9. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life ($99.8 million)
  10. Pokemon the Movie 2000 ($78.9 million)

Sonic will undoubtedly catch the film in second place, however, Pokemon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back. While it may take several more weeks of the film’s domestic run, Sonic the Hedgehog will undoubtedly and eventually become the second-highest-grossing video game movie ever after inflation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/03/07/box-office-sonic-adds-20-million-to-its-record-breaking-run/#15fb73ce1a10

It really is amazing, considering the records that this movie is breaking into, and mind you that's while it's financially handicapped for obvious reasons. Imagine how much better it would be doing without the handicap?

• Thumbs Up 1

So, one of the former Sonic voice actors just watched the movie. He like it. Ben is so happy about him enjoy it.:

I'm very glad and happy that the movie is getting a lot of praise and success. Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long for a sequel.

5 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Sort of off topic...we never actually got any Jack in the Box toys. Just that mini game thing and general promotion. Very disappointing. They totally could have made some kids meal style toys with Sonic spinning, the rings and Robotniks drones.

Yea, these were missed opportunities. However, unfortunately, Jack in the Box stop making toys in 2011. That's why there were no toys.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-toys-fastfood/jack-in-the-box-yanks-toys-from-kids-meals-idUSTRE75K6RZ20110621

You know, I feel like they could choose a better fast food chain partner like McDonald's or Sonic Drive-In for the movie. Jack in the Box is only available in certain states. Oh well. Maybe they will choose either one of those to promote the sequel in the future? I guess we will see. Also, it's funny that Olive Garden is in the movie, but not Jack in the Box.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Yea, these were missed opportunities. However, unfortunately, Jack in the Box stop making toys in 2011. That's why there were no toys.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-toys-fastfood/jack-in-the-box-yanks-toys-from-kids-meals-idUSTRE75K6RZ20110621

You know, I feel like they could choose a better fast food chain partner like McDonald's or Sonic Drive-In for the movie. Jack in the Box is only available in certain states. Oh well. Maybe they will choose either one of those to promote the sequel in the future? I guess we will see. Also, it's funny that Olive Garden is in the movie, but not Jack in the Box.

Oh I didn’t even know they stopped toys altogether. Thanks for the link. I guess it’s because we do not have a Jack in the Box where I live but there is one coming this year. It’s currently being built.

We’ve always just had it when we traveled somewhere. Which is how I got their old Sonic and Knuckles figures they offered a long time ago. The interesting thing is I was unaware at the time so it was a surprise when we walked into one. It was just chance. I still have them too.

Anyway thats too bad. They could have both toys and healthier options.

A few sequel ideas I've gotten:

Spoiler

-Longclaw was imprisoned by the echidnas and is still alive; which is why Tails came to find Sonic.

-Knuckles is a loner on the mushroom world (maybe an outcast from his tribe?) and crosses paths with Eggman.

-Eggman gets Knuckles to believe Sonic is the enemy ("I was a humble inventor on my world, but was cast away here!") and help him get back to Earth. (maybe Knux has his own stash of warp rings; which is how he got to the mushroom world?)

(I think it'd be a neat callback if Agent Stone asked "What happened to you, doctor?" he'd respond "I... evolved!")

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Austroid said:

A few sequel ideas I've gotten:

Hide contents

-Longclaw was imprisoned by the echidnas and is still alive; which is why Tails came to find Sonic.

-Knuckles is a loner on the mushroom world (maybe an outcast from his tribe?) and crosses paths with Eggman.

-Eggman gets Knuckles to believe Sonic is the enemy ("I was a humble inventor on my world, but was cast away here!") and help him get back to Earth. (maybe Knux has his own stash of warp rings; which is how he got to the mushroom world?)

(I think it'd be a neat callback if Agent Stone asked "What happened to you, doctor?" he'd respond "I... evolved!")

I think that’s pretty much exactly what’s going to happen since it matches Sonic3&K. Especially since the Echidnas already have something against Sonic as shown in the intro. Knuckles would definitely believe Robotnik.

• Fist Bump 1

So, the Japanese Sonic Movie voice cast paid a visit to a Shinto shrine which was originally planned simply for wishing the success of the movie. They also prayed for a fast settlement of the situation with the new Coronavirus which caused the movie release in Japan to be delayed.

Here are some pictures that I found.:

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, we will still file this one under the rumor category - but it just got backing from an insider who has some recent credibility under his belt with Space Jam 2 and F&F 9 details.

(apologies if someone posted this already)

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/paramount-reportedly-sonic-hedgehog-spinoff-knuckles/

Not only is Knux going to be a part of the next movie, but Paramount is also looking to give the Red Rock a spinoff movie of his own.

It would appear that Paramount was serious when they intended to make Sonic their next big franchise. If this pans out, they are really going all in.

The article also goes full circle back to the Dwayne Johnson rumors and lists him as the ideal choice for voicing Knux in this project.

Apprently, an Australian cinema chain is selling these ice cream cones. Looks yummy. I want to eat one.

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Okay, we will still file this one under the rumor category - but it just got backing from an insider who has some recent credibility under his belt with Space Jam 2 and F&F 9 details.

(apologies if someone posted this already)

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/paramount-reportedly-sonic-hedgehog-spinoff-knuckles/

Not only is Knux going to be a part of the next movie, but Paramount is also looking to give the Red Rock a spinoff movie of his own.

It would appear that Paramount was serious when they intended to make Sonic their next big franchise. If this pans out, they are really going all in.

The article also goes full circle back to the Dwayne Johnson rumors and lists him as the ideal choice for voicing Knux in this project.

A Knuckles spinoff movie would be interesting. Anyway, honestly, I don't think that site is a reliable source.

You know what would be fun? A  direct-to-video animated movie, to cash on popularity of Live Action one.

Why not? Marvel and DC are doing it for years. Mortal Kombat is releasing "Scorpion's Revenge" year before cinematic movie.

Do you want to know what I like about Tom in the movie, he had a little bit more personality than the usual human characters in these types of movies

as much criticism the movie gets for being being cliched in the story, I was pleasantly surprised they didn’t do the blow out cliche where Sonci and Tom have a big argument where they part ways until the climax and be friends again

I think the big thing this movie has over other "mascot goes to real world" movies, is that Sonic can actually hold his own agency. He isn't JUST some walking macguffin that the villain wants and the human character must protect, he actually can fight for himself and hold his own in a situation, and they used that appropriately in the movie. When it came to just talking and interaction, Tom would take that because he's the human link who Sonic can speak through, but when it comes time for action, it all depends on Sonic to take the lead.

Also, something this movie has over Sonic X is that Sonic is the one who needs emotional support, not the human character, so the focus is always kept on him rather than the human character who we otherwise don't give a care for. This at least makes Tom a more endearing companion to Sonic for future movies because he's an impromptu father figure for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think the biggest plot hole to me is using the cliche how did we get here narration framing device, it’s a nice way for sonic to explain his origins but the framing device has the same issues and plot hole most that uses this framing device has:

8 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

I think the biggest plot hole to me is using the cliche how did we get here narration framing device, it’s a nice way for sonic to explain his origins but the framing device has the same issues and plot hole most that uses this framing device has:

That's one of those plot holes I think you can just ignore though. You're not really supposed to think of the specifics of the situation unless it makes a huge enough problem for the film's pacing or structure. 

14 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

That's one of those plot holes I think you can just ignore though. You're not really supposed to think of the specifics of the situation unless it makes a huge enough problem for the film's pacing or structure. 

Was something I noticed and I just wanted any excuse to make that joke

I can’t find a good screenshot but apparently when Maddie was checking for apartments on Zillow, there was a name fo the agent or previous tenant:

amy rose

Ok, I finally watched the movie. Better late than never I guess.

It was... good. Nothing spectacular "must see" or designed to make squeal from joy, but nevertheless a simple fun movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again.

It might be better than Detective Pikachu. Okay, DP had more interesting story (a bit convoluted, contrived and plot-holy, but still more interesting) and background with all those Pokemon made world more fascinating that road to San Francisco, but Sonic had much better main cast.

Tom was as good as "generic white adult American co-star to fictional hero" can be. He's cool guy, caring, doesn't steal too much focus (even his own arc is foil to Sonic) and best thing, really quickly adapts to talking blue hedgehog. Sonic is completely different from what I come to expect (when Sonic was hyperactive last time) but that isn't a problem. It works as a technically younger version of Sonic and he's decent amount of fun (even if he can't compare to Quicksilver in X-men movies).

And Robotnik ruuuuuuuuules. And not only because he's really funny, but because I genuinely saw Eggman in him. A bit madder (licking a spike, "bzzt"), but a lot of lines sound like something Eggman would say. And they managed to keep him looney but also competent and a little threatening.

Comedy was 4/6, "Speed me up" is really catchy song and like I  said, I had fun.

My only big gripe is how basic story is, could use a little more meat. Maybe spent more than 3 minutes on Mobius, so we can get more Longclaw and baby Sonic. Maybe he could save bunch of kids and one of  them was Tails, so him retuning post credits would make sense.

On nerdy (read: irrational, not really harming movie at any way) complains, a lot of lore doesn't seems to fit with games or work well for the future. How Sonic/Tails dynamic will work if Tom exists? If Sonic's power is infinite (according to Eggman's readings), doesn't that make Chaos Emeralds useless? And how Tails will ever keep up if Sonic's speed is so magical?

Also my headcannon is ruined: I always like to think Sonic used to be fast, but but not magic-fast, that any brave Mobian in good condition can spin attack into badnik. And due to events of Sonic 1-2, exposure to Rings, Emeralds and Special Zone his power grew, till he could  I liked it, cause that meant Sonic became the hero by being a hero and not because he was born special. But you know, that's THE most nerdy-irrational complain.

Overall, movie is good and I'm exited for inevitable sequel that can only be better (or at least have  more characters). I'm also  glad it gets mostly good press (except few stupid reviews. I officially stopped watching Movie Bob because he didn't liked the movie (which I could respect, but...), but also obsessively keeps bringing it up, in a disgusting cash-on-popular-thing sorta way). I'm amazing how well it did box office wise, although frankly, people have to stop talking how "Movie X made more money than movie Y" completely ignoring inflation., Avengers didn't made more than Avatar and both movies loose to "Gone with the Wild". Stop making fake news.