Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I was wondering if the sequel does get made, what things from the first movie do you want to see get improved in the sequel?  For me:

1. Have a less cliché plot: While I enjoyed Sonic's relationship with Tom, I felt that we've done the whole "CGI character going on a road trip with a human character" plot way too many times.  I hope that the sequel actually takes more from the games and create an original plot that's faithful enough to the games, but also can stand on its own.

2. Have less cringe humor: Your mileage may vary on what humor was cringey in this movie, but we could all agree that the "flossing" scene was a bit much.  Maybe have the sequel have more humor that's natural to the story, like have some funny interactions between Tom, Maddie, Tails and Sonic in a family dynamic kind of way.

3. Develop the characters more:  I loved how this movie actually made Sonic much more emotional, especially when he has to deal with being alone for most of his life and the emotional strain it had on him.  Continue that characterization of Sonic in the sequel, with some growth to his character and also explore the other characters in depth.  Tails has a very interesting backstory where he was bullied, so maybe the sequel can actually delve further into that and state that Tails had developed self-esteem problems and maybe refused to show everyone that he has two tails because of the bullying he went through.

I gotta say I'm surprised how the Movie turned out. Even before the redesign I kind of felt like the movie might be too cheesy or something alike, but there was actual story, and effort put into the movie and I did enjoy it. 
Seeing how Sonic felt being all alone actually made me feel bad for him and not slightly annoyed by how overly-cocky he gets portrayed in the movies at times.
I do think the movie really set up for a good sequel.

22 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Now, I get why Dr. Eggman was named Dr. Robotnik in the movie instead. I think I assume that the movie is an origin story. He shave his hair off in the end of the movie. I assume that he will change his name to Eggman in the next one. I hear that Jim Carrey want to wear a fat suit according to a recent interview with Patrick Casey.:

It’s not really much of a prequel pro origin stance or more that robotnik was his original name outside of Japan and Sega now said it’s his real name with Eggman just a nickname, they can’t just have a guy with Eggman as a surname.

I honestly did not mind the Floss dancing. I see why people think it’s cringey but I think it’s mostly because it’s a current trend/fad. I’ll admit I like doing even though I’m in my 30s. Ha. Not in front of anyone but once I got the hang of it it’s fun.

As for the rest I’m sure they’ll expand on things now that it’s setup.

Honestly I think the movie well-established that Sonic copies things he sees and repeats things that he likes, like watching "Speed" and copying the lines. It makes perfect sense for him to be doing the floss.

Here is an preview of the Sonic movie comic.:

Also, according to the Tails voice actor, she said that the sequel will focused more on Tails.:

However, according to this, here's what she had to said about the rumor.:

• Thumbs Up 1

What has she read?

I don’t doubt there’s been discussions on what they could do for a sequel. It’s natural to brainstorm and come up with ideas.

I could see a Tails centered story where his help is required to defeat Robotnik again. Maybe he builds the Tornado to fly Sonic somewhere. It’s still extremely early though. It’s probably just speculation.

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

What has she read?

I believe she's just referring to online chatter and the obvious post-credits scene inferral that Tails will play a significant role in a sequel.

16 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here is an preview of the Sonic movie comic.:

Also, according to the Tails voice actor, she said that the sequel will focused more on Tails.:

However, according to this, here's what she had to said about the rumor.:

I can definitely see Tails being a major part of the sequel, especially since his friendship with Sonic is very important in the games.  I do wonder what the plot of the sequel will be though.  We still haven't heard anything about the official plot for the sequel, although it's a bit too early to reveal at this stage.

Kind of interesting that they're getting Tails's actual VA from the games for his movie role, but not the same for Sonic or (understandably) Robotnik.

4 hours ago, Sonario said:

Kind of interesting that they're getting Tails's actual VA from the games for his movie role, but not the same for Sonic or (understandably) Robotnik.

I've been wondering about that. Don't get me wrong, I think that Colleen is a really good voice actress for Tails.  But how come they didn't get Roger Craig Smith to voice Sonic for the movie?  

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I've been wondering about that. Don't get me wrong, I think that Colleen is a really good voice actress for Tails.  But how come they didn't get Roger Craig Smith to voice Sonic for the movie?  

It's probably because Roger isn't an Hollywood actor. He is only an voice actor for various video games and cartoons. That's probably why they didn't get him. 

Also, I know this is a bit unrelated, the IDW Sonic comics just came out in Japan today. There appear to be an Sonic movie ad on the cover.:

Also, here is what the SEGA Chief Brand Officer had to say about the movie success.:

With the Sonic the Hedgehog film heading to physical media soon, how has Sega reacted to the success of the film so far?
We’ve been blown away by the response from fans! Since the Sonic the Hedgehog movie released in February, it has amassed over $306 million worldwide and holds the record for the highest grossing opening of any video game movie adaption domestically in history. Though there are still countries where the film has not opened, the film has also helped us introduce Sonic to a brand-new generation of fans, and we could not be more pleased with how Paramount and our film-making partners brought the Blue Blur to life on the sliver screen.

Fan support has been immensely positive since the wide release in theaters; what can you say about the word-of-mouth marketing and fan enthusiasm surrounding the film?
Some of our fans have followed the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise for nearly 30 years! It’s remarkable to see that our longtime fans are now at the age where they’re passing down their affinity for Sonic to their children. There’s a huge nostalgic appeal for those of us who grew up with him. That type of passionate fan enthusiasm is unique to our franchise.  Sonic is both inspirational and aspirational, so I am hopeful that during these strange times, people are finding inspiration, levity, and hope through the adventures of Sonic and his friends.

Sonic the Hedgehog brings a pretty star-studded cast together; who delivered your favorite performance in the movie?

All the cast is so talented, and their performances were amazing…… Jim Carrey’s hilarious and mischievous embodiment of Dr. Robotnik was perfect. He really captured the outrageous personality of the character! Additionally, c’mon now, how could I not pick my namesake?

Sonic the Hedgehog has had a pretty great year so far with the recent release of the video game film adaptation. With the franchise celebrating its 30th anniversary next year, we got to talk to SEGA Chief Brand Officer Ivo Gerscovich about the success of the film, as well as what’s next for the Blue Blur.

With the Sonic the Hedgehog film heading to physical media soon, how has Sega reacted to the success of the film so far?
We’ve been blown away by the response from fans! Since the Sonic the Hedgehog movie released in February, it has amassed over $306 million worldwide and holds the record for the highest grossing opening of any video game movie adaption domestically in history. Though there are still countries where the film has not opened, the film has also helped us introduce Sonic to a brand-new generation of fans, and we could not be more pleased with how Paramount and our film-making partners brought the Blue Blur to life on the sliver screen.

I guess we should talk about the elephant in the room: The first design and subsequent trailer. What were your thoughts about the fan feedback that stemmed from those elements?
It has always been important to all of us to have a version of Sonic in the movie that resonates with as many fans as possible. We are grateful to the community for their feedback, and to Paramount and the filmmakers for their commitment to make the best film version of Sonic possible.

Fan support has been immensely positive since the wide release in theaters; what can you say about the word-of-mouth marketing and fan enthusiasm surrounding the film?
Some of our fans have followed the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise for nearly 30 years! It’s remarkable to see that our longtime fans are now at the age where they’re passing down their affinity for Sonic to their children. There’s a huge nostalgic appeal for those of us who grew up with him. That type of passionate fan enthusiasm is unique to our franchise.  Sonic is both inspirational and aspirational, so I am hopeful that during these strange times, people are finding inspiration, levity, and hope through the adventures of Sonic and his friends.

Sonic the Hedgehog brings a pretty star-studded cast together; who delivered your favorite performance in the movie?

All the cast is so talented, and their performances were amazing…… Jim Carrey’s hilarious and mischievous embodiment of Dr. Robotnik was perfect. He really captured the outrageous personality of the character! Additionally, c’mon now, how could I not pick my namesake?

Now I know we’re way too early talking about this, but I must ask: Considering the post-credit sequence, are there any plans for something like a sequel?

We’re thrilled that fans have enjoyed the movie so much but have no additional announcements at this time.

Source

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it look like some people managed to get the Blu Ray copy early. So, here is a good look of the comic.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, If I posted too many times on this thread, but I found some interesting things.:

Here is an picture of Movie Jet hanging out with Tony Hawk by JoeAdok. This could show how Jet could look like if he appear in future Sonic movie sequels.:

• Thumbs Up 2

Bit of an old article here, but we seem to have confidence from Box office analysts that a sequel announcement is imminent.

https://movieweb.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-announcement-predictions/

"No doubt Sonic the Hedgehog is just getting started. A sequel is imminent for Paramount Studios, who desperately needs new franchises. I'd expect an announcement as soon as the world starts spinning in a direction we all recognize again. Video game adaptations are definitely hot properties again in Hollywood thanks to Sonic and his box office antics."

As with most announcements, we are at the whims of COVID-19 as to when we'll hear some proper news.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scanning that article, it looks like most of it's fuel is coming from that USA Today article from late April. It's just speculation, though a sequel isn't a far-fetched prediction; this is far from a trustworthy insider prediction, let alone a confirmation. 

While I'm sure we'll see a Sonic the Hedgehog: 2 Fast 2 Foxy, I'm more inclined to rest on the evidence that it's not in the pipeline quite yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

At the moment, I'm just going to stick with the announcement that they have nothing planned for the sequel, until the virus lets up.

I do think chances are high that there will be a sequel and it’s probably already confirmed at a higher-up level. But it’s unlikely right now that they will just announce it into the abyss of the internet, they will want a panel at a major event or something to announce it at - which can’t happen until events start up again in some capacity.

2 hours ago, caitash said:

I do think chances are high that there will be a sequel and it’s probably already confirmed at a higher-up level. But it’s unlikely right now that they will just announce it into the abyss of the internet, they will want a panel at a major event or something to announce it at - which can’t happen until events start up again in some capacity.

I agree with this.  They probably would have announced the news at San Diego Comic Con or something like that.  But because of the virus, it's uncertain at the moment when they can make plans for the sequel.

So, Adam Sandler just watched the Sonic movie before the lockdown occurred. He say that he like it.:

I saw Jim Carrey’s movie, the Sonic. I noticed that people were spread out, there were only a few of us in the theaters and I was laughing very loud. The people behind us were laughing too. So I think our last big night out: Sonic. I called [Jim] Carrey from the theater. I was telling him how funny he was while it was going on. I didn’t know it was going to be the last movie I ever saw at a movie theater.\

Source

Also, I found some photos of the truck that was owned by Dr. Robotnik.:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 1

Found some more videos of the Tacoma from the movie. There is a little story about the fate of the truck. It look like some of the parts will be sold and then it will be scrapped.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Just found some new stuff.:

Spoiler

EYZtNGzXYAcByH3?format=jpg&name=medium

New concept art.:

EYXjfyDX0AEU-g8?format=jpg&name=large

Also, the people at Paramount are giving away free donuts and the free comic to people who are living in LA. Too bad, anybody outside LA can't get these unless you live there.:

Even the Sonic Boom writer and Tyson got them. These donuts look tasty. I want to eat them. Yum!

Also, if you want to take a good clean look at the comic. This guy got it covered for you. Take a look of the pages.:

• Promotion 2