Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So, apparently there was supposed to be a scene of Sonic asking a Burger Princess (Parody of Burger King obviously) drive-thru operator some questions and run off without ordering any food. However, sadly, that didn't made it into the final cut. A prop was made, but it was never used and seen in the movie.:

Found some pictures.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I say something that may or may not be popular? Usually when looking at concept art I see what could have been, tons of scrapped stuff, here however, I see a lot of stuff that actually MADE IT into the film, and they really managed to capture the detail and magic from their concepts and translate it into the movie. Bravo!

I'd say the reason for that is because they committed themselves to the smaller vision by the time the movie was in the visual design phase. Some of the bigger ideas we heard about like Super Sonic and the like were smacked out of the script early.

7 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I'd say the reason for that is because they committed themselves to the smaller vision by the time the movie was in the visual design phase. Some of the bigger ideas we heard about like Super Sonic and the like were smacked out of the script early.

And also because they didn't have the budget to do anything big for the movie.  Now since the movie performed very well, we might see some more elements from the Sonic games from this point forward.

You know, since the echidna tribe is still alive in this world, do you guys think there’s a chance Tikal could show up in the sequel along with Knuckles?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

You know, since the echidna tribe is still alive in this world, do you guys think there’s a chance Tikal could show up in the sequel along with Knuckles?

Possibly. It would make sense for her to be a prominent character if her tribe is still alive, and would probably satisfy Paramount execs if they demand to expand the demographic of the sequel by having a prominent female figure. (While making more narrative sense than Amy). Though I think we can expect a bit of a personality change if she's added to the movie, with her role being more that of a warrior alongside the other Echidnas.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Possibly. It would make sense for her to be a prominent character if her tribe is still alive, and would probably satisfy Paramount execs if they demand to expand the demographic of the sequel by having a prominent female figure. (While making more narrative sense than Amy). Though I think we can expect a bit of a personality change if she's added to the movie, with her role being more that of a warrior alongside the other Echidnas.

It would be interesting if Tikal knew Knuckles in this universe.  Although whether or not the sequel will focus mostly on Tails or have some equal time with Knuckles (if he's even going to be in the sequel at all) remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It would be interesting if Tikal knew Knuckles in this universe.  Although whether or not the sequel will focus mostly on Tails or have some equal time with Knuckles (if he's even going to be in the sequel at all) remains to be seen.

Expect us to have an expansion on Sonic's World at least in the sequel, because Paramount are going to want to push out as much merch as they can with Sonic characters. The most effective story method will most likely be through focusing on Knuckles and the Tribe as well as Tails.

5 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Expect us to have an expansion on Sonic's World at least in the sequel, because Paramount are going to want to push out as much merch as they can with Sonic characters. The most effective story method will most likely be through focusing on Knuckles and the Tribe as well as Tails.

I definitely can see Paramount wanting to promote more of this franchise.  I just hope that they come up with a really good story for the sequel that can feature both Tails and Knuckles effectively.

Also, regarding Tikal, what should her role be in the movie if they decided to use her?  Would she be the one who convinces Knuckles that the ways of their tribe is wrong or would she be his love interest?  The thing about this though is that if Tikal is used as the person who convinces Knuckles to be good, then it will parallel the Shadow and Maria relationship a little too closely, in case they eventually used Shadow in the movies.  Also, you wouldn't want to have Tikal just be Knuckles' love interest and do nothing in the plot since that wouldn't go over well for the audience who wants a strong female character for the sequel.

New concept art, storyboards, and some footage with the old Sonic that I found.:

Also, I found a picture of some stunt doubles.:

Spoiler

Also, new set photos from Josh Miller.:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 1

Some more behind the scenes footage.:

If you want to know where these are from, they are from the behind the scenes which are in the extras from the Blu-Ray copies,

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/21/2020 at 4:49 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I definitely can see Paramount wanting to promote more of this franchise.  I just hope that they come up with a really good story for the sequel that can feature both Tails and Knuckles effectively.

Also, regarding Tikal, what should her role be in the movie if they decided to use her?  Would she be the one who convinces Knuckles that the ways of their tribe is wrong or would she be his love interest?  The thing about this though is that if Tikal is used as the person who convinces Knuckles to be good, then it will parallel the Shadow and Maria relationship a little too closely, in case they eventually used Shadow in the movies.  Also, you wouldn't want to have Tikal just be Knuckles' love interest and do nothing in the plot since that wouldn't go over well for the audience who wants a strong female character for the sequel.

Or they can make Tikal and Knuckles siblings in this universe. Hey, Black Panther and Killmonger aren’t related in the comics but that change definitely worked in the movies favor.

6 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Or they can make Tikal and Knuckles siblings in this universe. Hey, Black Panther and Killmonger aren’t related in the comics but that change definitely worked in the movies favor.

Oh my god!  This sounds fantastic!  This would actually fit perfectly with Sonic and Tails' growing sibling relationship with each other.  Maybe something happened to Tikal in the past that caused Knuckles to become more cynical in the future.  

Ben say that he would do a sequel in a second.:

Also. It's nice to see Paramount using Sonic to promote their other movies.:

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems like the 4k UHD Physical copy of the movie comes with the Japanese audio, and our pal Yuji Naka is ordering it as we speak. Though he's conflicted whether to watch at home or in theaters. Honestly, I doubt this will be coming to theaters in any wide release in Japan, and they'd be better off hyping up a digital release.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

It seems like the 4k UHD Physical copy of the movie comes with the Japanese audio, and our pal Yuji Naka is ordering it as we speak. Though he's conflicted whether to watch at home or in theaters. Honestly, I doubt this will be coming to theaters in any wide release in Japan, and they'd be better off hyping up a digital release.

Well, it's a shame that the movie is still yet to be released in theaters in Japan. I feel bad for him. Oh well, I'm glad he had find a way to watch the movie in his home country. Let's hope he like it. I'm pretty sure he will like it. Also, BTW, the movie is still yet to be released in China either.

5 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh my god!  This sounds fantastic!  This would actually fit perfectly with Sonic and Tails' growing sibling relationship with each other.  Maybe something happened to Tikal in the past that caused Knuckles to become more cynical in the future.  

Or maybe Pachacamac’s paranoia about Sonic power among with his warmongering could shape Knuckles into who he is in the sequel before he inevitably sees the error in Pachacamac‘a ways.

Anyone else notice a lot of Sonic 4 footage was used for the behind the scenes featurette? Felt kind of odd...

(Also the Sonic Forces Eggman image they used in the same featurette was noticeably low-res. Wonder if some of this was a result of the pandemic?)

14 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Or maybe Pachacamac’s paranoia about Sonic power among with his warmongering could shape Knuckles into who he is in the sequel before he inevitably sees the error in Pachacamac‘a ways.

That would be great too!

Hey, look! Yuji Naka got the movie. He even got the comic book as well. Now, he can finally watch it. He look very happy and excited to watch it.:

Translation: The movie Sonic's 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray has arrived. I ordered it from Amazon USA and it arrived in Japan in 3 days. 4K UHD certainly contained Japanese audio and subtitles. I want to watch it at a movie theater, but I'm worried whether or not to watch it.

Also, a little Crazy Taxi easter egg if you didn't noticed.:

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, it look like there were some props that you can buy on eBay. Take a look.:

Also, I don't think we see any of these props in the movie. They are probably just background props.

Saw the movie for the second time now that my Blu-ray came in. I think I enjoyed a little more than in theaters.

Anyway couple things. I thought his rings disappeared after being used right? The bag says emergency only but in the cave scene he uses one to show Mushroom Hill. It’s obviously for the viewers but he’s still wasting it just to look through.

Also it never occurred to me he’s in a real Dr. office when he’s pretending to have a therapy session. I wonder if they cut out something that shows him sneaking into places. Kinda funny. Maybe it’s been brought up already.

I started thinking about the Mario movie too. I haven’t seen it for a very long time but imagine if there was internet back then. There definitely would have been backlash before release but how would the studio react? It didn’t use cgi and they changed a lot of things so they couldn’t simply delay it. Just interesting to think of.

22 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Anyway couple things. I thought his rings disappeared after being used right? The bag says emergency only but in the cave scene he uses one to show Mushroom Hill. It’s obviously for the viewers but he’s still wasting it just to look through.

I think they only disappear if something goes through them. Not sure if its shown but thats my logic for now.

I just got my 4K / Blu Ray edition of Sonic the Hedgehog and I'm loving it!  I was so happy that it came with the comic book, since that's what I really wanted to get from this copy.  Check out my photos of the Blu Ray / 4K edition:

EY4-B1QX0AAIimO.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, The Master said:

I think they only disappear if something goes through them. Not sure if its shown but thats my logic for now.

Ya I think that explanation works.

I’ve seen complaints they didn’t use them to go more places but it actually makes sense they didn’t because he’d use too many. Plus he stopped because he realized Robotnik was actually keeping up with him. Also, unless I’m wrong, France, Great Wall of China and Pyramids were probably the only major earth locations he knew of.

Now I understand from the real life standpoint they probably kept things as simple as possible for the budget since it was the first movie...but the story reasons still fit very well.