Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

this is a question for van. the movie is live action, so will there be humans in this or will it be a live action world filled with cgi animals?

Van hasn't been here for quite a while and he's only a writer. He has no involvement in the actual production of the movie, which as far as we can tell isn't even in the making phase.

But I'm placing my bets on the latter.

Well I'm hoping for the latter, but I'm going to put my bets on it being a Paddington/ArchieSonic-style world that just kinda has humans and mobians both because reasons.

Personally, i'd like it to be like Sonic Adventure universe. The cutesy villagers in Boom annoy me and make me feel like i'm watching a show for babies, i don't want a similar approach in the movie.

Personally, i'd like it to be like Sonic Adventure universe. The cutesy villagers in Boom annoy me and make me feel like i'm watching a show for babies, i don't want a similar approach in the movie.

Well Boom is a kids show so you can't really say that it's more childish set of characters is a bad thing, per say but hey whatever floats your Dreamboat Express. And also Van said he's aiming the movie for a PG-13 rating so an Adventure-esque story seems to be more likely.

I just want a movie that felt like Unleashed. To me, it had a perfect balance of seriousness and... How do I say it? Chessiness? Funny moments? Goofy moments? It's on the tip of my tongue.

You know what I mean, right? I think the movie should retain that sort of tone. Of course, it might have to be darker in order to justify a PG-13 rating, but it should still be pretty similar.

But that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you cut out the werehog levels unleashed is basically the sonic movie itself imo.

What I want is basically to adapt Sonic 2, 3, and CD all at once. Sonic and Eggman should already be familiar. Have the movie start with Robotnik launching the death egg and capturing Amy Rose to lure Sonic in, sonic and tails meeting and causing it to crash down on angel island, have the knuckles stuff happen with him at one point after befriending sonic tell him of the prophecy and replace the big chunky mecha Sonic with metal sonic (obviously having a much more on-foot battle in sky sanctuary) and finish it off with the big super sonic vs totally not a reskinned death egg robot battle. Some scenes would have to be less action-filled and have a little more exposition (aside from cutting out most zones to keep some consistency in the environments), but it pretty much  already written from a core "thats basically how the movie happens" standpoint. There's no need to make things needlessly complicated. It's easier to make a story out of games that exist independent of each other.

I imagine it as a trilogy, really. The second and third movies would be adventure 1 and 2, and because the story gets bigger and the writing gets better each game, writing each would be easier as you go...assuming there is infact source material being followed.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if the movie is its own universe?  No connection to the games, comics, or cartoons.  It sets its own mythology.  Would that be a benefit or a detriment?  

What if the movie is its own universe?  No connection to the games, comics, or cartoons.  It sets its own mythology.  Would that be a benefit or a detriment?  

That's how I imagine the movie would be, just like, well, every other adaption of Sonic, every superhero movie, etc. It's just a question of how different it would be. Personally, I'd rather it stick pretty close to the games, unless there's somehow a super good reason to deviate significantly, which I doubt. I don't trust them not to do anything stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I mean I never meant it should apply to the main canon, just that it should stick to it so as to not fuck up the series lore any more. I mean, we've got, what, nine alternate continuities for the series across all media now? Even if the movie was an alternate universe, having it involve the games makes it more familiar and accessible, and in turn makes the games more accessible for people who watched the movie

You know, this has been on my mind for a while now:

With that whole "two worlds" thing that the Sonic series has going on now, I just can't help but ponder over if they'll use that to justify the CG/Live Action approach for this movie's setting. At this point, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did do that.

I've been thinking the same thing. Heck, it wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. Just look at pretty much every superhero film ever made.

This friday the live-action Goosebumps movie will be released. The reason I mention this is it's a kid-friendly movie being released by the same people behind the Sonic movie (Sony/Original Film) Wishful thinking, but could there be a Sonic teaser before the movie starts? I know the movie hasn't started filming yet, but Sony could whip together something that doesn't use actual film footage as an announcement that the movie is happening.

This friday the live-action Goosebumps movie will be released. The reason I mention this is it's a kid-friendly movie being released by the same people behind the Sonic movie (Sony/Original Film) Wishful thinking, but could there be a Sonic teaser before the movie starts? I know the movie hasn't started filming yet, but Sony could whip together something that doesn't use actual film footage as an announcement that the movie is happening.

Most likely not. We would have gotten a small poster or something at NYCC (or any other convention/show) before we even get a trailer. We just have to keep waiting....

So what directors would you guys like to see in charge of the film? Personally, I think Marc Webb would be a good choice. With the exception of Boom, Sonic's always been an action-centered franchise. The last Electro fight in ASM2 was fantastic. Whenever I watch that scene, I imagine Sonic in place of Spider-Man and Metal Sonic in place of Electro.

So what directors would you guys like to see in charge of the film? Personally, I think Marc Webb would be a good choice. With the exception of Boom, Sonic's always been an action-centered franchise. The last Electro fight in ASM2 was fantastic. Whenever I watch that scene, I imagine Sonic in place of Spider-Man and Metal Sonic in place of Electro.

Could be good. That is if the higher ups at Sony finally learned from their blunders with Spider-Man franchise and leave the directors vision alone.

Could be good. That is if the higher ups at Sony finally learned from their blunders with Spider-Man franchise and leave the directors vision alone.

And maybe Smurfs 1-2 and Pixels.

Still no news on the Sonic movie? What a shame. :c

Maybe we might get something during the 25th anniversary at the latest. It's an opportunity too good to pass up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of the movie, I don't think I'm completely on-board with mixing of animation and live action. Don't get me wrong, I'll take what I can get when it comes to Sonic on the big screen, but I kind of wish it was all animated. Then again, it could be more expensive that way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of the movie, I don't think I'm completely on-board with mixing of animation and live action. Don't get me wrong, I'll take what I can get when it comes to Sonic on the big screen, but I kind of wish it was all animated. Then again, it could be more expensive that way.

Yeah, I feel that way too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Realistically, I expect an original plot to be used with some *wink-wink nudge-nudge* fanservice to people already fans of the game, but nothing particularly important in order to understand the plot (so probably nothing involving knowing the intricacies of stuff like Knuckles' background, Shadow or Silver's history, etc.) Tone-wise, given that the little information we have tells us that the movie will be aiming for a PG-13 rating, I'd expect something along the lines of SA2 or Unleashed, hopefully nothing too melodramatic like Shadow or 06 though. I'm just really hoping that the movie's well written; that's really what I want from the movie, something Sonic-related that a casual consumer can actually take seriously and see as a good piece of media, instead of an embarrassment like Rise of Lyric.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope they create this movie! Though I do hope if they make it, that it will be based on the modern Sonic, rather then Sonic Boom Sonic.  I think this movie could have a lot of potential.  :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope they create this movie! Though I do hope if they make it, that it will be based on the modern Sonic, rather then Sonic Boom Sonic.  I think this movie could have a lot of potential.  :) 

Van Robichaux, one of the writers for the movie, has said that this movie has no connection to Sonic Boom whatsoever. So yeah, want good ol' PG-13 Action Hero Sonic, you're gonna get some!

• Thumbs Up 1

Van Robichaux, one of the writers for the movie, has said that this movie has no connection to Sonic Boom whatsoever. So yeah, want good ol' PG-13 Action Hero Sonic, you're gonna get some!

It'd be a refreshing change of pace, if only if it's done well.

To be honest, just the idea of Action Hero Sonic finally returning is enough to make me excited at this point.

Also, the fact that this has no ties with Boom gives me some hope.

Edited by Falonso14
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, just the idea of Action Hero Sonic finally returning is enough to make me excited at this point.

Also, the fact that this has no ties with Boom gives me some hope.

Agreed! While I do enjoy Sonic Boom, I'm ready for Legacy Sonic to get some much needed spotlight!